VB Star of the Week: Dave in MPLS! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Impeach the gangster

Let's greet Dave in MPLS, our new celebrity Star! Dave is one of our super moderators. He joined VB in 2008. His interview will last through Oct. 7th.

The fine print-

-Please ask only a few questions at a time, so everyone has a chance to participate. (You can come back often to ask more questions!)

-Anyone can be a VB Star. If you would like to be a VB Star, just send me a PM, and we'll arrange to get you into the hot-seat! In the event no one comes forward, it will be up to our current Star to choose next week's victim, er, interviewee. If you're asked to be a Star, but don't want to be one, you may take a pass; likewise, the current Star is free to pass on any questions they are not comfortable with answering.

-Please keep our posting rules in mind, and let's keep this PG-13 or better. And remember, if our current famous person expresses an opinion with which you disagree, please do not give an argument in return. This is an interview, not a debate!

NOTE- If you'd like to read about our previous Stars (they go back several years,) all of their interviews are archived in the Meet Outstanding Users forum!

Here's the low down on Dave in MPLS!

Quote:

-Real first name?

Dave

-Age?

-Sex/Gender Identity?

Male

-Relationship status?

Unattached single, with no change to that on the horizon at the moment

-Location (as specific as you are comfortable being)?

Bloomington, a suburb of Minneapolis.

-Religious beliefs (or lack thereof)?

Christian, but don't confuse me with Teavangelicals and "prosperity gospel" hacks. Think MLK and Nuns on the Bus.

-Political leanings?

Progressive left. Except when it comes to international trade. On that I'm basically a protectionist, which puts me on the same side as some very conservative fellows. I can live with that, I guess.

-Are you a vegetarian, vegan or raw foodist (or something else)?

Vegan, but I prefer the label non-dairy ethical vegetarian.

-What is the meaning behind your username?

Once you know my name and location, that becomes pretty obvious.

-Have you ever met anyone famous?

I rang up the (former) Men's Wearhouse guy for some chapstik once when I was working in a newstand. At that same store I sold the pro wrestler Shelton Benjamin a magazine. I've had a conversation with Gary Francione and drinks with Ingrid Newkirk.

-Do you live with any companion animals?

When I throw away banana peels or empty tomato cans and forget to take out the garbage lots of little fruit flies share my home. Then I take out the garbage and they go away. I don't know where they go, but they're not around any more.

-Do you live with any companion humans?

Nope

-Where is your favorite place that you have visited?

Berlin, I guess. NYC was cool too. My fave isn't a city though. Staying in the woods for a few months at the Lake Itasca Biological Field Station  wins top spot.

-What do you enjoy most about being veg*n?

Culinarily, the creative possibilities. Think of it like poetry - the best poems are written with constraints like an imposed  rhyme scheme,  meter, or whatever. Most free verse stinks.

-With whom would you most love to have dinner?

I can't really think of anyone.

-Do you have any secret talents?

I'm very adept at subreferencing. I work pop culture references into pretty much every thing I write that's more than a paragraph or so, usually without drawing attention to it. It's kind of like an easter egg for geeks like me.

-What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off?

I'm a heavy seasoner and love spicy food, so my food knocks the socks off people all the time.

-What's your favorite restaurant?

Sri Lanka Curry House, before it shut down after 9/11

-What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue?

Listen to music

-What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster?

I was sauteing habeneros for an African dish and discovered first hand how valid the advice is to never put your head over a pan of sauteing peppers. I've been tear gassed. Same thing.

-What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"?

There's a 'pizza burger' from a pizza chain in Japan (I think it was).

It's a bottom crust, ketchup, hamburger, cheese, fixings, and a crust on top.

Bring on the questions!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 PM

Hey Dave

Would be interested to find out what you discussed with Gary Francione and if you critiqued what he said was he accommodating or dismissive?
#3 Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, Dave! 

1. What were the topics of conversation when you had drinks with Ingrid Newkirk? Did PETA come up a lot or was the conversation directed in a different direction?

2. From your answers to the original questionnaire, I see that you're the woodsy type. What about the woods or forests draws you to them? What kinds of things do you enjoy doing whilst in the woods? 

3. If you had the opportunity to design and plant a forest area anywhere in our galaxy (and the technological means were possible/available) what features would your forest have and where would you build it? Are there any particular special animals or insects that you would like to inhabit this space? 

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
 Would be interested to find out what you discussed with Gary Francione and if you critiqued what he said was he accommodating or dismissive?

We weren't really "talking shop". I was helping him get around the U of MN campus where he was giving a talk. He was in town because he was helping the Animal Rights Coalition a little in our FOIA request to get access to info about animal research/care and use records at the U. I don't remember that he did a lot for that request, but we didn't really ask or expect him to do much other than demonstrate that the request was part of a broader, national effort. A sign that giving up the goods tio us might allow the U to avoid tangling with the national groups. This was 91 or 92. If I remember correctly Francione was still loosely associated with PETA. He was most known as the lawyer who represented students opposed to dissection.

His talk was given to students at the law school and was pretty much what you'd expect hearing from him today, with one significant exception - he couched "the property argument" entirely in legal terms, aimed entirely at a legal audience. I'm not law savvy enough to evaluate it on those terms but it certainly seems like a good legal argument. Where I differ with some people is on whether it accurately describes motivation - I hold that it is a nice metaphor for how people DO act,  but has little value as an examination of WHY.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

If you were offered the opportunity to either go into space, as far away as the moon, or a deep ocean trench which would you pick?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 09-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
 If you were offered the opportunity to either go into space, as far away as the moon, or a deep ocean trench which would you pick?

Trench, definitely. The communities that live around deep water vents are absolutely fascinating.

#7 Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:

1. What were the topics of conversation when you had drinks with Ingrid Newkirk? Did PETA come up a lot or was the conversation directed in a different direction?

2. From your answers to the original questionnaire, I see that you're the woodsy type. What about the woods or forests draws you to them? What kinds of things do you enjoy doing whilst in the woods? 

3. If you had the opportunity to design and plant a forest area anywhere in our galaxy (and the technological means were possible/available) what features would your forest have and where would you build it? Are there any particular special animals or insects that you would like to inhabit this space? 

1. She really didn't talk much. The book tour she was on was really exhausting her, I think. No doubt she was looking forward to getting back to her hotel and getting some sleep, and was just spending some free time with us local activists because it would be expected of her.

2. I dunno. I find them very peaceful. It's a distinctly American thing. Think of what the woods represent in European literature and traditions (fairy tales and such). Dark, evil things. But to Americans? Quite different. The cathedral of nature.

3. I'm intrigued by the temperate rainforests, especially those on the west coast of North America. The canopy community (critters and plants that live up in the tops of trees) is fascinating. I'd build a mixed forest of broadleaf trees blending into stands of very tall conifers. And there would be owls.

#8 Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you like the snow, or do you prefer a warmer climate?

Would you rather have a cat or a dog?

What would you serve a fellow VBer if one came to dinner?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:

Do you like the snow, or do you prefer a warmer climate?

Would you rather have a cat or a dog?

What would you serve a fellow VBer if one came to dinner?

1. I like a climate with distinct seasons. If the temp was always somewhere between the teens and the sixties that would be good. Heat semi-incapacitates me. Extreme cold is uncomfortable, but I've lived in Minnesota most of my life, so cold and snow are very familiar.

2. I've lived with both and they each have their plusses and minuses. I'm more of a cat person.

3. Whatever fool dish I was obsessed with at the time. Right now that'd be a pizza, probably a veganized version of some wacky international pizza like the megaburgerpizza, pizza americano (couldn't find a pic - it's topped with hot dogs and french fries), or the cheeseburger crust. I already make french fry pizzas and mac-n-'cheese' pies all the time, so they'd be easy and familiar to whip up. And birch beer to drink. Birch beer (it's a soft drink) is hard to find outside the east coast, but I love it when I can find it!

And as a starter, a nice big basket of vegan deep fried cheese curds. That's not something that actually exists yet, but I'm working on it!

#10 Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Dave

I've just given you $10,000,000. How will you spend it?

Have you ever lived, or wanted to live outside the USA?

What's the funniest tv shows you've ever watched?

lv

#11 Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:

I've just given you $10,000,000. How will you spend it?

Have you ever lived, or wanted to live outside the USA?

What's the funniest tv shows you've ever watched?

1. I owe a bit of money to some folks that have helped me out financially in the past and I have a list of kitchen stuff I need. Those 2 together would use maybe 2 grand. I'd split 2 or 3 grand between anti-hunger organizations and groups that provide wheelchairs to people who need but can't afford them. The rest goes in the bank.

2,. Never lived outside the US, but thought about moving to Prague. It seems like a groovy place.

3. Probably Soap, at least the first two seasons. Or maybe WKRP In Cincinnati - for the episode with the drunk test and the one that ends with the line "With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly".

#12 Old 10-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, Dave! 

1. If you're inclined to share, what do you think has been one of the greatest challenges in your life? 

2. Keeping Dark Shadows in mind, would you rather live in the Old House or Collinwood ("The Great House")? Why?

3. What do you think is one issue that divides the unity of veg*ns in the United States (or the world as a whole)? How could this problem be addressed? 

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#13 Old 10-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:

1. If you're inclined to share, what do you think has been one of the greatest challenges in your life? 

2. Keeping Dark Shadows in mind, would you rather live in the Old House or Collinwood ("The Great House")? Why?

3. What do you think is one issue that divides the unity of veg*ns in the United States (or the world as a whole)? How could this problem be addressed? 

1. Several years ago (7? Really, that long ago? But yeah, 7.) my drivers license was canceled after an ... incident that brought my health issues to the attention of the state of Minnesota. I had to figure out another way to get around and do important things like get to work and get groceries.  I had to take a month or two on temporary disability to get things worked out.

The incident was: I was driving home from work after a spring snowstorm. I was extremely agitated with the heavy, SLOW traffic and my body overheated, which triggered my MS. symptoms.. When I got off the highway my right leg thrust out and stiffened up. I drove the remaining 6 blocks to my house with the gas pedal completely floored. The only way I could release the gas was to physically move my leg with my right arm. It was the most terrifying experience I've ever had. I ALMOST made it home - but then I plowed into a parked car. When the police came I had no control of my muscles (the MS again). After they filed their report, the state decided maybe I shouldn't be on the road. A good call, but it left me sort of helpless feeling and  uncertain. I worked out solutions, but looking back I'm kind of amazed.

2. Collinwood, because they'd have flush toilets for sure. I don't think they had those in the 18th century.

3. The insistence that people eat that way for the right reason, whatever that may be. I see too many people hate on health-oriented folks. At the same time there are those who won't accept others that are ethically oriented.   

Aristede and leedsveg like this.

#14 Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

What is/are your favorite thread(s) here on VB?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#15 Old 10-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Impeach the gangster

What were the circumstances of your being tear gassed?

You refer to yourself as a geek. What are your geeky interests?

Have you ever invented anything?

What sort of music do you like?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#16 Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:

What were the circumstances of your being tear gassed?

You refer to yourself as a geek. What are your geeky interests?

Have you ever invented anything?

What sort of music do you like?

1. It happened during the 1988 Saint Cloud State Homecoming Riot. A fairly thorough breakdown of the event is at http://ithappenedhere.pbworks.com/w/page/51256682/What%20A%20Riot

The party houses that were at the center of the riot were directly across the street from the dorm I was living in. While the events were unfolding many of the dorm residents (including me) were sitting/standing next to our residence hall watching. At several points tear gas was used to disperse the crowd clogging the street. The cloud of gas dispersed over the entire area, so onlookers were effected as well as the rioters. I got caught in a cloud of tear gas twice. It wasn't a full dose - it had of course dissipated some - but still quite unpleasant.

2. I am a long time comic book collector, and have been a huge fan of fantasy and science fiction my entire life. I consider myself a member of several media-related fan communities - Star Wars, Dark Shadows, Doctor Who, and Babylon 5 are the biggies. I follow anime (especially Sailor Moon and other magical girl anime/manga, with Tenchi Muyo  and other harem anime a close second).

Crap, I gotta answer my door ... to be continued

#17 Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Riot Nrrrd

ok, I'm back :)

2 continued. I also am a fan of other "genre" cinemas like martial arts (HK stuff, mostly historical or historic fantasy), blaxplotation, 60s/70s European sexploitation, pink eiga ...

3. Not really. I do recipe development and software development, but those aren't quite inventions.

4. Hardcore punk, trad country, girl group, rockabilly, and folk metal. Mostly. A broad range obviously. :)

Quote:

What is/are your favorite thread(s) here on VB?

I don't play favorites. :)

#18 Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Impeach the gangster

Who was at the door? (You don't have to answer that!) :p

Do you have any Classics Illustrated comics in your collection, especially stories by Jules Verne and H. G. Wells?

#19 Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
 Do you have any Classics Illustrated comics in your collection, especially stories by Jules Verne and H. G. Wells?

Yep. I'm sure I have something by Verne or Wells but all my comics are in storage so I can't check. I think I remember 20,000 Leagues ... though. I never really got into picking up CIs, but later printings are really cheap so I'd grab adaptations of books I like if I stumbled upon them for a buck or two.

My comics collection mainly focuses on specific titles and characters, but also there are a number of themes I'd work on - covers with someone in a bridal gown, covers with a protest going on, superpowered animals, "women's lib", swimsuits, etc ...

#20 Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Impeach the gangster

Who is hotter, Betty or Veronica?

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Who is your favorite Star Trek character?

Who is your favorite Star Wars character, and why?

#21 Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:

Who is hotter, Betty or Veronica?

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Who is your favorite Star Trek character?

Who is your favorite Star Wars character, and why?

1. Betty. Archie's an idiot for not realizing Betty Cooper is an ideal friend and partner.

2. Mary Ann. Dawn Wells > Tina Louise, career wise maybe not, but as the characters they played on Gilligan's Island definitely.

3. Overall, probably Spock. Uhuru was groundbreaking though.

4. That's a hard one. From the classic trilogy, probably Han. Or Wedge, cuz he's in all 3 movies but most people never noticed. From the comics Jaxxon. Because  a 6 foot anthropomorphic green bunny ... c'mon. That's so stupid it's cool.

#22 Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

What's the longest time you've stayed awake?

If you could change one of your country's laws, what would that law be?

If a film was made about you, which actor would you want to portray you?

#23 Old 10-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Impeach the gangster

Time's up! No more questions please. I'll leave this thread open, so Dave can answer the final queries. In the meantime, Dave in MPLS has chosen ElaineV to be our next Star! Thanks, Dave, for an intriguing interview, and to all who joined in!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page