VB Star of the Week: Aristede! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Impeach the gangster

Hear ye, hear ye! We have a new VB Star of the Week, Aristede, member since 2008, and super-duper moderator!

Our more than reasonable rules-

-Please ask only a few questions at a time, so everyone has a chance to participate. (You can come back often to ask more questions!)

-Anyone can be a VB Star. If you would like to be a VB Star, just send me a PM, and we'll arrange to get you into the hot-seat! In the event no one comes forward, it will be up to our current Star to choose next week's victim, er, interviewee. If you're asked to be a Star, but don't want to be one, you may take a pass; likewise, the current Star is free to pass on any questions they are not comfortable with answering.

-Please keep our posting rules in mind, and let's keep this PG-13 or better. And remember, if our current famous person expresses an opinion with which you disagree, please do not give an argument in return. This is an interview, not a debate!

NOTE- If you'd like to read about our previous Stars (they go back several years,) all of their interviews are archived in the Meet Outstanding Users forum!

This week's celebrity has provided some information about himself:

Quote:

-Real first name?

William. When I was younger, I didn't let anyone call me any variation of William, but I like Will now. Just don't ever call me Bill, Billy, or Willy, 'cause I'll ban you. veganpolice.gif

-Age?

-Sex/Gender Identity?

Male

-Relationship status?

Single, but looking for a sweet lady. wink3.gif

-Location (as specific as you are comfortable being)?

Chicago, IL (South Side, born and raised!) 

-Religious beliefs (or lack thereof)?

Christian (Church of Christ)

-Political leanings?

Independent with moderate leanings

-Are you a vegetarian, vegan or raw foodist (or something else)?

My diet would be best described as mostly strict vegetarian, though I prefer to tell people that I eat a near plant-based diet. I learn more everyday as I move toward my goal of avoiding all animal consumer goods, but I'm not there....yet. 

-What is the meaning behind your username?

Aristede (played by Michael Stroka) was the servant of Count Petofi and a minor character in the Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows which aired from 1966-1971. I used to watch the program on re-runs when it aired on the SciFi Network in the middle to late 1990s. Read more here: http://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/Aristede

-Have you ever met anyone famous?

I've met a couple of relatively famous individuals. Many years ago, I met cookbook author Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa. (Clearly, I don't cook many of her recipes anymore, save the veg-friendly ones). I've also met concert organist Diane Bish, who is world-renown for her organ and choral music program, The Joy of Music.

-Do you live with any companion animals?

I've recently returned home to stay with my family. There are six cats in the condo. My parents' original three are Lucky, Muffin, and Sheba. My sister and brother-in-law also had three cats who they left with my parents: their names are Ziggy (who I call Zigfried), Jody (nicknamed JoJo or Joey), and CousCous (nicknamed CC). You can see their pics here and here.   

-Do you live with any companion humans? .

Currently, I live with my parents and my youngest sister. No sweetheart for me yet, but working on it. (*hint, hint*, ladies. ^_^ )

-Where is your favorite place that you have visited?

I don't have favorites (except dessert). I've had the opportunity to visit several major U.S. cities over the years though and I'm fond of Philadelphia (I adore the Wanamaker Grand Court Organ). However, my "favorite" places at home are the Chicago River area near Chicago's downtown (especially the River Walk) and the Osaka Japanese Garden at the Wooded Isle in Jackson Park. Chicago has such a rich history!

-What do you enjoy most about being veg*n?

I like the feeling that not only am I doing something beneficial for my own health, but the well-being of other wonderful, non-human beings. I'm very interested in environmental concerns and I think that being veg*n benefits our planet ecologically as well. 

-With whom would you most love to have dinner?

This is a tough question. There is no one person I could invite, so I'd have to hold a pretty swanky dinner party. Nah, make that two swanky dinner partiestongue3.gifFor the first party,  I'd definitely invite Jesus Christ (well, he'd already be there technically),  Julia Child (I've adored her since I was a child), the composers Johann Sebastian Bach and George Frederick Handel, the French composer Erik Satie and his protegees Les Six Madiba (better known as Nelson Mandela), and Queen Elizabeth II (The Duke of Edinburgh could be her +1).

For the second party, I'd invite the ensemble casts of Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager. I'd also invite Jolene Blalock (who played T'Pol, the only character I liked from Star Trek: Enterprise). And to finish off the 2nd dinner party, I'd invite all 11 actors who played the incarnations of Doctor Who as well as their primary companions (especially the ones from Doctor Who incarnations 9-11).  Like I said, two swanky parties. 

-Do you have any secret talents?

Secret talents? None that I shall divulge! sneaky.gif

-What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off?

Everything I cook is great. chef.gif Really, check out my VB gallery.  If you want to see what good stuff I'm cooking up on the reg, follow the My vegan, breakfast, lunch, and dinner thread (starting with page 11). I'm planning to bake a series of special desserts soon, so I'll post them. 

-What's your favorite restaurant?

I don't have a favorite restaurant. My preferences range from those hip Asian fusion restaurants to fine dining establishments to those hole-in-the-wall places that serve great food (we all love those!). I have a high preference for Asian cuisine (especially Sichuan Chinese and Thai), and I also love Mediterranean cuisine, Mexican cuisine, and Indian cuisine. From time to time, I need my soul food too, you know, 'cause I'm black. afro.gif

-What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue?

I come to VeggieBoards if I'm feeling blue! Okay on the real.... j/k. I love listening to music (as many of you already know). I've been known to enjoy a dessert especially when I'm feeling blue (perhaps a delightful French fruit tart or some down-home peach cobbler with coconut ice cream). I'm rarely in a sad or sour mood, but if I am, send some good music and pie my way! 

-What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster?

Who told you about that pot of chickpeas that I was cooking and forgot about? Thank goodness I was able to salvage my pot (I like my Dutch oven!) 

-What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"?

You know, there are many great vegan alternatives for many products. It's the little complexities in foods that I miss. I'd actually love to create cheese analogues that fully mimic the complex nature of cheeses minus the animal exploitation. I never really ate much cheese to begin with, but bucheron and Parmigiano-Reggiano are ones that I miss eating. I think I'm just going to have to invent the replicator a la Star Trek so that I can get over these ethical hurdles! 

Aristedebook2.gif

Come on, ye would-be paparazzi. Bring on the questions!

Werewolf Girl likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

1)  What do you think about the new Dr Who?

2)  Favourite comfort/hangover food?

3)  Film or book that had the greatest impact on you?

#3 Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Impeach the gangster

Which Star Trek character would you rather be: Spock, Data, Odo, or The Doctor?

Have you ever visited the Willis (Sears) Tower observation deck?

Have you toured the German U-Boat exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry? (I saw it when I was about 8-years old.)

If the city of Chicago was moved to the equator, would you still want to live there?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What would your ideal day look like? What would you do, who would be there, what would the weather be like, etc?

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#5 Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

1)  What do you think about the new Dr Who?

2)  Favourite comfort/hangover food?

3)  Film or book that had the greatest impact on you?

1) I love the new Doctor Who, especially the Weeping Angels. It's definitely different than the old series, but it moves much faster. I still think it retains much of the quirkiness that makes it Doctor Who.

2. I don't really have one favorite food. I am a huge fan of desserts though, especially fruit ones. I'm fond of fruit tarts, cobbler, pies, crisps, etc. And I love combining fruit with spices like saffron, vanilla, cardamom, etc. 

3. I would have to say that The Bible has had the greatest influence on my life. As a Christian, I find that it gives me guidance and helps me to understand things. 

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#6 Old 08-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Which Star Trek character would you rather be: Spock, Data, Odo, or The Doctor?

Have you ever visited the Willis (Sears) Tower observation deck?

Have you toured the German U-Boat exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry? (I saw it when I was about 8-years old.)

If the city of Chicago was moved to the equator, would you still want to live there?

1. That's a really hard one because there are elements of each of those characters that I really like and relate to (that's why, no doubt, you listed them). I'd have to go with Data. While he's incredibly good at most things since he's an android, he's continuing pondering the meaning of what it is like to be human. I think its his quest to be more human that I relate to. 

2. I have not visited the observation deck. I don't like heights (though I have been to the 94th floor of the Hancock Building). I'll have to go sometime. And you can call it the Sears Tower. Nobody calls it the Willis Towers here! lol

3. I have toured the U-Boat exhibited several times: when I was a young student and with my own students when I was a teacher. It's a really cool exhibit.

4. That's a really interesting question. I don't like hot weather (in fact I despise it). I really like living in Chicago, but I don't think I could deal with the constant heat and humidity (our summers are enough as it is). So to solve that problem, I would just have Chicago moved back to the northern hemisphere. tongue3.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#7 Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

If you could be any element of the earth, what would you be?

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#8 Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewe Nanny View Post

What would your ideal day look like? What would you do, who would be there, what would the weather be like, etc?

Oh, the ideal day. Well, it would have to be a fall day, when the leaves are falling and changing into beautiful shades of brown, yellow, orange, and red. I think I'd love to wake up and listen to some great music (either jazz or classical), while I had a delicious breakfast of pancakes with pure maple syrup, veggie sausage, and a green smoothie or a breakfast of vegan scones with marmalade and a fine cup of Earl Grey tea. I'd probably spend a good part of the day alone walking along the parks and the lakefront. Then I'd met friends at a great restaurant for lunch, run around the city having fun, and then maybe catch a show at the theatre or a concert at the symphony. I'd then have a great supper with friends and more family and we'd partake in delicious fall treats like cider doughnuts and mulled cider. At the end of the day, I'd like to spent it with a special someone and enjoy a glass of vin as we cuddled to keep each other warm in the brisk fall air.

Aristedebook2.gif

#9 Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

If you could be any element of the earth, what would you be?

Wind. I love the feel of the wind and I like the idea that the wind can carry sound, vibrations, etc. Wind has the power to help move the birds of the air, the power to turn windmills to generate clean energy, the ability to power sails and planes, and the ability to move quickly anywhere. I'd also like to think that wind can carry our emotions, thoughts, and our feelings. Wind, like all the elements, fascinates me because it has the dual nature of being something wonderful and at the same time can create untold destruction. That duality intrigues me. 

Aristedebook2.gif

#10 Old 08-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you think that there is intelligent life 'out there' in the universe?

If yes, and you could send a message, what would that message be?

#11 Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Do you think that there is intelligent life 'out there' in the universe?

If yes, and you could send a message, what would that message be?

While I don't think we have any conclusive evidence, I won't discount the possibility. I have no idea what may exist out there, but I don't want to be so close-minded as to think that they're aren't other beings on equal levels of sentience (or even non-sentience) as humans and animals. 

Q, of the Q Continuum stated to Picard (on the last episode of Star Trek: Next Generation):  

Quote:
For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you..... not mapping stars and studying nebulae...but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

As a person who is a believer in God and who is an advocate of the sciences, I am open to the possibility. Neither science nor religion can immediately give us all the answers we seek. 

If I could send a message it would contain a warning: Stay away from the Terran solar system if you value your continued existence.

Aristedebook2.gif

#12 Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

If you could have any super power what would it be?

#13 Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Would you rather be stuck in a zombie apocalypse or a vampire apocalypse?

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#14 Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

1. Do you have a cyanide tooth implant in case, you know, your REAL identity is ever discovered? (Be honest!)

2. When talking to someone with the same name as you, do you sometimes get confused as to which one you are?

3. Will you answer NO to this question?
#15 Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Impeach the gangster

Berlioz or Wagner?

#16 Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyr656 View Post

If you could have any super power what would it be?

I would like the power to manipulate time. That is, go backwards, forward, jump to any time period I desired, and even freezing time itself. I might rip a hole in the time-space continuum, but hey...

Aristedebook2.gif

#17 Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Would you rather be stuck in a zombie apocalypse or a vampire apocalypse?

Vampire apocalypse. I have a cute face and it wouldn't be well-served by me being turned into a zombie. If I'm going to live for a long while, I should at least look decent. cool3.gif Besides, vampires still retain their faculties; zombie just turn into, well mindless zombies...

Aristedebook2.gif

#18 Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

1. Do you have a cyanide tooth implant in case, you know, your REAL identity is ever discovered? (Be honest!)

2. When talking to someone with the same name as you, do you sometimes get confused as to which one you are?

3. Will you answer NO to this question?

1. Of course not. We've moved past such archaic methods...

2. No, I confuse others with the same name as myself. I have that affect on people.

3. Yes and no.

Aristedebook2.gif

#19 Old 08-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Berlioz or Wagner?

I'm not actually a fan of either composer really, but I'll choose Wagner. I do like his Overture to Die Meistersinger.

Aristedebook2.gif

#20 Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM

Your perfect day sounds amazing. Now I want doughnuts. 

Annnyway. 

1. If you had to choose a different name for yourself (legal name) what would it be?

2. (Had to) Who would you like to play you in the movie of your life?

3. What's better - dinner for breakfast or breakfast for dinner?

#21 Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Aristede! smiley.gif

What is your Astrological sign?
What is your favourite colour?
What was your favourite childhood game?
Do you remember your first kiss?
Enterprise was one of my favourite Star Trek series can you guess who my favourite character is ? smiley.gif
#22 Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Ever fell for an anime girl? =p

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#23 Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

1. When you find a dead fly on the windowsill, are you more likely to remove the corpse or are you more likely to leave it there as a "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" kind of warning to other flies who may attempt to exit that way?

2. What do you consider to be mankind's next greatest invention after the spork?

3. About how many basketballs would fit in the room you're sitting in right now?
#24 Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Impeach the gangster

Jules Verne or H.G. Wells?

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Do you like George Gershwin's music?

Who is your favorite screen romantic couple?

Who is your favorite screen villain? (The one you love to hate the most?)

#25 Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

Your perfect day sounds amazing. Now I want doughnuts. 

Annnyway. 

1. If you had to choose a different name for yourself (legal name) what would it be?

2. (Had to) Who would you like to play you in the movie of your life?

3. What's better - dinner for breakfast or breakfast for dinner?

1. Xavier.

2. I don't know of any actors that would be suitable to play me, but if it's a biographical documentary, I'd definitely like Morgan Freeman to narrate it.

3. Breakfast for dinner! Love it!

Aristedebook2.gif

#26 Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Hi Aristede! smiley.gif

What is your Astrological sign?
What is your favourite colour?
What was your favourite childhood game?
Do you remember your first kiss?
Enterprise was one of my favourite Star Trek series can you guess who my favourite character is ? smiley.gif

Hi, lavander phase! 

1. I'm a Libra

2. My favorite colour is grey. 

3. I loved playing The Game of Life when I was a kid. I won most of the time when playing my family. 

4. Yeah, it took some time to get the taste out. Kitty spit is the worse! (Ok, seriously, I remember my first kiss and frankly wish I saved it for someone else.) 

5. Commander Tucker? (All the ladies like the dishy engineer). 

Aristedebook2.gif

lavender phase likes this.

#27 Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

Ever fell for an anime girl? =p

I actually think anime characters are hot, but I don't think I've ever fallen for one. I liked Sailor Mars for the longest and Winry from FMA is pretty cute. I bet if I thought about it, I could come up with a whole list. 

Aristedebook2.gif

#28 Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

1. When you find a dead fly on the windowsill, are you more likely to remove the corpse or are you more likely to leave it there as a "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" kind of warning to other flies who may attempt to exit that way?

2. What do you consider to be mankind's next greatest invention after the spork?

3. About how many basketballs would fit in the room you're sitting in right now?

1. I hate dealing with bugs, but I can't just leave it there since it's aesthetically unappealing. I'd use a brush and dustpan to remove the corpse. 

2. Well, after the spork, I think all the patent offices closed up. What more was there that needed to be invented? 

3. More than one.

Aristedebook2.gif

#29 Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Jules Verne or H.G. Wells?

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Do you like George Gershwin's music?

Who is your favorite screen romantic couple?

Who is your favorite screen villain? (The one you love to hate the most?)

1. Both authors were crucial in the development of the science fiction genre, but I'd go with Jules Verne.

2. Mary Ann! So cute! (And Dawn wells still looks great today!) 

3. I am a huge fan of Gershwin. I enjoy his opera Porgy and BessRhapsody in Blue, Piano Concerto in F, I Got Rhythm Variations, and his Prelude for Piano among other works. 

4. Anna and the King from The King and I.

5. It's either Ra's Al-Ghul or The Riddler (Edward Nigma) 

Aristedebook2.gif

#30 Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

1. Does it bother you when people spell words rong?

2. What's the first thing you notice about a girl?

3. What do you think people think about you?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page