VB Star of the Week: Vegetarian Zen! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Impeach the gangster

Meet our next VB Star of the Week: Vegetarian Zen! VZ has volunteered to occupy our hot seat this week, and we're only too happy to comply!

You know how it works-

-Please ask only a few questions at a time, so everyone has a chance to participate. (You can come back often to ask more questions!)

-Anyone can be a VB Star. If you would like to be a VB Star, just send me a PM, and we'll arrange to get you into the hot-seat! In the event no one comes forward, it will be up to our current Star to choose next week's victim, er, interviewee. If you're asked to be a Star, but don't want to be one, you may take a pass; likewise, the current Star is free to pass on any questions they are not comfortable with answering.

-Please keep our posting rules in mind, and let's keep this PG-13 or better. And remember, if our current famous person expresses an opinion with which you disagree, please do not give an argument in return. This is an interview, not a debate!

Vegetarian Zen has answered a few basic questions for us:

Quote:

-Real first name?

Quote:
 Larissa

-Age? 

Quote:

-Sex/Gender Identity? 

Quote:
Female

-Relationship status?

Quote:
I have a wonderful, crazy, fun relationship with my girlfriend, Vickie...11 years and we haven't killed each other yet!

-Location (as specific as you are comfortable being)? 

Quote:
San Antonio, TX

-Religious beliefs (or lack thereof)? 

Quote:
Lack thereof

-Political leanings? 

Quote:
liberal

-Are you a vegetarian, vegan or raw foodist (or something else)? 

Quote:
I'm a baby vegetarian -- only 6-months old!  Eventually I see myself becoming vegan, but it's going to be a longer process than becoming vegetarian was.

-What is the meaning behind your username? 

Quote:

Vegetarian Zen is the name of the website/podcast that Vickie and I run.  We started it after we became vegetarians to offer a safe, non-judgmental space for vegetarians, vegans and anyone who would just like to learn more about the lifestyle.  Our podcast is weekly and I'm in the process of working on our enewsletter (signup on the website).  We're having a blast!

-Have you ever met anyone famous?

Quote:
Famous? Hmmm...a few weeks ago I went to a special screening of The Last Unicorn and met Peter S. Beagle, who wrote the book.  He was amazing.  Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head...

-Do you live with any companion animals?  

Quote:
I couldn't imagine my life without animals!  Currently we have one dog, Molly Brown (the Unsinkable, if you please!), and three cats: Jake Ryan, Samantha Baker and Idgie Threadgoode.

-Do you live with any companion humans? .

Quote:
I live with my wonderful, loving, creative, motivating, belly-laugh-instigating, down-in-the-dumps-alleviating, guitar-playing, ghost-hunting girlfriend/best friend, Vickie

-Where is your favorite place that you have visited?

Quote:
Wow...tough one!  I grew up an Army brat so we lived in Thailand and Belgium, as well as a bunch of places here in the states.  As an adult I've lived in San Antonio, South Carolina and two places in Florida.  My vacations with Vickie have included the Keys, Aruba, Provincetown, MA, Mexico and Maui.  So hard to pick a favorite, but I'm thinking maybe Mexico...the pyramids were amazing!

-What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? 

Quote:
I enjoy trying new things (Vickie will choke when she reads this, because up until recently she's always said I ate like a 6-year old...and she was right!).  There are so many delicious things I eat now that I never would've dreamed of biting into 6 months ago!

-With whom would you most love to have dinner?

Quote:
My grandparents.  They've been gone too long and I miss them.

-Do you have any secret talents?

Quote:
If I do, they're so secret even I don't know about them...but I'll find out!

-What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off?

Quote:
birthday cake

-What's your favorite restaurant?

Quote:
Any place with killer Mediterranean food...Pasha here in SA is pretty good

-What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue?

Quote:
Get outside and go birding if I can.  If not, put on one of my favorite DVDs and/or ask Vickie for some extra babying

-What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster? 

Quote:
One time I made chocolate chip cookies but forgot half of the flour.  It was pretty much a cookie-sheet-sized, super-thin, icky pancake.

-What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"?

Quote:
I can't think of anything off the top of my head that doesn't have a decent veg option

Now it's up to you to find out more!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Can you think up a creative name for this color?

How many times, on average, do you lose your keys in a month?

If you had a snail that could magically grant wishes, what would you name it?
#3 Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Favourite number? Colour? 

Where is Waldo?

If you could have any super power what would it be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Do you believe in ghosties?

How hot is it in Texas today? (My grandma just moved to Dallas! )

Do your cats scratch your furniture?

Do you prefer strawberries or blackberries?

What's your favorite kind of bird?

What kinds or birds are in your area?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

What advice would you give to everybody ?

What is your favourite book and why ?

What is the meaning of life ?

If you could ask yourself a question which response would make us laugh, what would that be ?

What is your greatest achievment ?

What are you thankful for ?

Your Hero is ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#6 Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

Can you think up a creative name for this color?

How many times, on average, do you lose your keys in a month?

If you had a snail that could magically grant wishes, what would you name it?

The name of that color is definitely "Smog Strangler". 

Fortunately, I rarely ever lose my keys.  I did, however, once lock them in my trunk outside of a bar at 3 am the morning after St. Patrick's Day.  That made for one wicked argument, and ensured that going forward for eternity, I always do the "key jingle" before I close my trunk!

I'd like to counter question number 3 with one of my own...how the *bleep* did you know about my snail (who I'll call Bob to protect his privacy)?? 

Thanks, Rinchen, for getting my interview off to a great start!

#7 Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyr656 View Post

Favourite number? Colour? 

Where is Waldo?

If you could have any super power what would it be?

Favorite number: the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop (if you're not familiar with the reference, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UYvsk6_foc).

Favorite color: hmmm...purple with a twist of lime

Barring any weather delays, Waldo should be in Amarillo by morning

As I sit here watching the local weather guy just making stuff up, the ability to accurately predict the weather is sounding pretty enticing...

Thanks, kry656!

#8 Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Do you believe in ghosties?

How hot is it in Texas today? (My grandma just moved to Dallas! )

Do your cats scratch your furniture?

Do you prefer strawberries or blackberries?

What's your favorite kind of bird?

What kinds or birds are in your area?

Only the ones that believe in me.  There's nothing more annoying than a phony ghost.  Seriously, though, yes I do.  

Today was mild, only around 82, because we're having this weird thing happen where drops of liquid are falling from the sky.  Yesterday it was 102.

Occasionally they'll start to scratch the couch or chair.  We hiss at them and they stop, give us "eat poop" looks, and then charge off as if we were the boogeyman. 

Strawberries, definitely.  I know they both have seeds, but something about blackberry seeds really bugs me, while strawberry seeds are only a mild annoyance.  Give me seedless blackberry jam and I'm in heaven, however.

Raptors (birds of prey) fascinate me.  Here we have Crested Caracara (also known as Mexican Eagles).  They're gorgeous and amazing.  I also love Scissor-tail Flycatchers, which are in abundance here in the spring and summer, and I must admit it gives me a kick to see them harassing the Caracara and other raptors when they get too close to the Scissor-tail nests.  Great fun!

Some of our year-round residents are doves (White Wing, Eurasian Collared, Inca and Common Ground), House Finches and Sparrows, several wrens (Carolina and Bewick's, notably), Great-tailed Grackles and Mockingbirds (our state bird), and Northern Cardinals among many others.  As we are located smack-dab in the middle of the Central Flyway, we see huge migrations twice a year.  Many are simply passing through, but some that summer here include Painted Buntings, Vermilion Flycatchers, several hummingbirds (Black-chinned and Ruby-throated are most common), American White Pelicans, and so so so many others!  Sorry to ramble, but mention birds to me and I tend to just blast off!  

Curiosity...are you a birder, River?  Thanks for your awesome questions! 

#9 Old 07-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetarian Zen View Post

how the *bleep* did you know about my snail
A little bird told me tongue3.gif

Of your two Texas senators, John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, which one do you consider to be more "bangable?"

What do think would happen if Batman were bitten by a vampire?

If a man says something in the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
#10 Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Vegetarian Zen smiley.gif

Chocolate or Vanilla ?

What is your astrological sign ?

Have you ever had a dream that you were flying? ( like Peter Pan) Lol smiley.gif

Your favourite season?
#11 Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Larissa,

Can you imagine a vegan world?

what do you imagine that world be like? smiley.gif

Edit:

Is there a song and line from a movie that wells up emotion in you?

#12 Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

What advice would you give to everybody ?

What is your favourite book and why ?

What is the meaning of life ?

If you could ask yourself a question which response would make us laugh, what would that be ?

What is your greatest achievment ?

What are you thankful for ?

Your Hero is ?

Advice: Help one another.

Favorite book: Hard question!  I've always been an avid reader.  By age 11 I was into everything from Dickens to Douglas Adams to Tolkien to Stephen King (and everything in between!).  Every time someone asks me this question I think and think and think, but I always come back to The Wind in the Willows.  I've read it several times, and I think what I love about it is that it embodies the ultimate simplicity and peacefulness of life that is so overlooked today.  Except for Mr. Toad...he did like to raise some hell!

The meaning of life is, of course, pancakes.  Can't imagine life without 'em.

All I would have to ask myself is, "How did you get that bruise?"

My greatest achievement thus far is never quitting.  

I am thankful for so many things (insert Academy Awards acceptance speech here).  I have a wonderful home with my girlfriend and our furry babies.  We laugh every single day (most days even before coffee, which is quite a feat!).  I am thankful for every day that I can still walk and talk and think and laugh and love.  I'm thankful for fresh juice and homemade hummus and pita chips.  I could go on and on and on, but I really want to answer that next question.

My hero is my grandfather (Papa), Robert Cline Scott.  He passed away in 2000, and I miss him every single day.  He was smart and caring.  He loved animals and farmed his own yummy veggies.  One of my favorite things to do in the summer was to go stay with my Nana and Papa in E. Texas.  I would wake up super-early and go out into the fields before it got blazing hot and pick blackeyed peas.  I would bring them back to the house, and Nana and I would sit in the recliners and shell them, then cook them for us and Papa for lunch.  His favorite thing to do at night was to sit in his chair (usually with a cat in his lap) and look at maps.  He liked to find all of the little tiny towns with funny names.  He loved watching Looney Tunes...the coyote and roadrunner were his favorites.  Life threw a lot of challenges at him, and he handled them with dignity and grace.  I love you, Papa.

#13 Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:

A little bird told me tongue3.gif

Of your two Texas senators, John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, which one do you consider to be more "bangable?"

What do think would happen if Batman were bitten by a vampire?

If a man says something in the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Answer to your first question:  EWWWWWW.

If Batman were bitten by a vampire, he'd just be more badass than he already is.  And he wouldn't really need his utility belt any longer, so I could have it.

Absolutely.  That's the default setting, isn't it? doh.gif

#14 Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Hi Vegetarian Zen smiley.gif

Chocolate or Vanilla ?

What is your astrological sign ?

Have you ever had a dream that you were flying? ( like Peter Pan) Lol smiley.gif

Your favourite season?

Hi lavender!

I like the swirl!

I'm a Libra...so I basically never shut up. tongue3.gif

I used to have flying dreams all the time when I was in my 20s.  They were good and bad: the flying was cool, but unfortunately it only happened as a result of being chased by something or someone bad in my dreams.

Well, down here we really don't have "traditional" seasons, but when I was growing up I lived a lot on the East Coast so I've actually experienced real seasons.  I love Fall.  

Thanks for your questions!

#15 Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vefo View Post

Hi Larissa,

Can you imagine a vegan world?

what do you imagine that world be like? smiley.gif

Edit:

Is there a song and line from a movie that wells up emotion in you?

Although I'm not vegan (yet), I can imagine that a vegan world would be...a lot more cuddly!  I'd definitely prefer if everyone had a cow for a pet instead of for dinner.  A vegan world would be a more compassionate world; hopefully through caring more for animals we would learn to care better for each other as well.  

There is a movie called Hedwig and the Angry Inch (which was originally a stage production, and which will be on Broadway next year starring Neil Patrick Harris...and if I get to go, I'll be able to die a happy girl!!!).  In it, there is a song called "The Origin of Love", which recounts Aristophanes' explanation of the creation of homosexuals and heterosexuals, as told by Plato in The Symposium.  Although Aristophanes seemed to be "making a funny" so to speak in Plato's telling, it is a beautiful story, and wonderfully sung and illustrated in the film.

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#16 Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

1. If you were illiterate, how would you answer this question?

2. What do you imagine me to look like?

3. If I wanted to become Justin Bieber's biggest fan, how would you counsel me to ensure maximum success?
#17 Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for your responses, very interesting ones and they bring you my sincere respect, i will give a try to your favourite book and to pancakes ;-)

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#18 Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay ! Pancakes and vanilla/chocolate swirl smiley.gif Thank you for answering my questions smiley.gif
#19 Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

You have just discovered what your last three past lives were, and they each make incredible sense to you somehow!

Tell us about them and why they make so much sense to you.

Feel free to have been anyone you like, famous or not.

After your death, someone who either deeply admires you or despises you writes your biography. What is it called?

As you haven't lived all of your life yet, feel free to imagine how it could go.

A world renowned chef creates a dish named after you, describe it in detail.

You have won the holiday of a lifetime, where is it to and what do you get to do there?

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#20 Old 07-17-2013, 07:14 AM

Hey, Larissa!

What first brought you to San Antonio? A good friend of mine grew up in SA and is so, so proud of it.

#21 Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:

1. If you were illiterate, how would you answer this question?

2. What do you imagine me to look like?

3. If I wanted to become Justin Bieber's biggest fan, how would you counsel me to ensure maximum success?

1. through interpretive dance

2. kind of circle-y but not completely closed, as if part of you rests in open contemplation.  You look as if you have been painted...an unfinished work of art. grin.gif

3. tattoo his mother's left eye on the inside of your right elbow

#22 Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Thanks for your responses, very interesting ones and they bring you my sincere respect, i will give a try to your favourite book and to pancakes ;-)

Thanks...they were great questions!  and now I want pancakes.  

#23 Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Yay ! Pancakes and vanilla/chocolate swirl smiley.gif Thank you for answering my questions smiley.gif

ooh...how about pancakes with vanilla/chocolate swirl ice cream on top?  Thanks for your questions, lavender!

#24 Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Get outside and go birding if I can

So, do you keep a life list? If so, how big is it? (Being in TX you should be able to amass an impressive list ...)

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#25 Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

You have just discovered what your last three past lives were, and they each make incredible sense to you somehow!

Tell us about them and why they make so much sense to you.

Feel free to have been anyone you like, famous or not.

After your death, someone who either deeply admires you or despises you writes your biography. What is it called?

As you haven't lived all of your life yet, feel free to imagine how it could go.

A world renowned chef creates a dish named after you, describe it in detail.

You have won the holiday of a lifetime, where is it to and what do you get to do there?

Sorry for the delay in responding, folks!  Super busy yesterday, and I knew I'd need extra time to answer IckenNoodleSoup's questions!  So....here goes!

In my most recent past life, I was a mockingbird.  Smart-alecky, always having to have the last word, kind of plain-Jane, not flashy, but getting the job done.  Oh, and did I mention smart-alecky? tongue3.gif  The one before that, I was a black-handed spider monkey named Cecil.  Long legs, long arms, clumsy as all hell, and I never shut up.  Before Cecil, I was a fool in the early 14th-century court of Robert the Bruce.  Given my propensity for being a smartass and his propensity for killing people, you can imagine how that one turned out.  Notice the huge gaps in time between lives?  My soul is extremely fond of napping.

As far as the holiday of a lifetime goes...I'd be all over the British Isles like you wouldn't believe.  And for a long, long vacation.  Doing extensive genealogical and historical research takes time, after all.  And I'd have to spend a lot of time hanging with the puffins.

I'll get back to your other two questions later, IckenNoodle...I want to do them justice and must continue ruminating! :) 

#26 Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatWellPrtyHard View Post

Hey, Larissa!

What first brought you to San Antonio? A good friend of mine grew up in SA and is so, so proud of it.

I was born in SA, at the old Brooke Army Hospital on Ft. Sam Houston.  My dad was in the Army so we moved every 2 years or so, until he ended up stationed back at Ft. Sam for my senior year in high school.  I went to college in Kerrville (an hour north of SA) for 3 years, then left school and came back to the city for a while before moving to S. Carolina and Florida for a few years.  I came back to SA at the end of 2000.  It's a beautiful city, just perhaps growing too fast for it's own good.  

#27 Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

So, do you keep a life list? If so, how big is it? (Being in TX you should be able to amass an impressive list ...)

Hi Dave! I just started my life list last fall, and I can't bird too much during the really hot months because I can't tolerate the heat, so it's kind of small still.  Only 96.  Once it cools down in a couple of months I'll be able to start going out again...just in time for fall migration!  woohoo!  Are you a birder, and if so, where are you and how long is your life list?

And has anyone ever told you that you look a tad like a rooster?  tongue3.gif

#28 Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM

LOL at myself, Dave...I just noticed your non-rooster disclaimer!  Ha!

#29 Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Fuuuuuudge! Here I am reading about you failing to notice Dave's rooster disclaimer and I realize I myself was oblivious to your answer to my question about what you thought I looked like. You were describing my avatar.

*head slap*
#30 Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Bwaaaahhhhhaaa!! And there you were reading my description of you and thinking I'm a raving lunatic (don't totally discount that thought, however!). Too funny!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page