VB Star of the Week: SadieP - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

This week's star is SadieP! Her interview will run until Dec 1.

Please remember our simple rules:
-Ask only a few questions at a time
-The interviewee is welcome to skip any questions.
-Don't argue with the interviewee.
-At the end of the week the interviewee will pick the next interviewee.

Here are some basic facts to get you started:
Quote:
-Real first name (if you are comfortable sharing): Sarah -- Sadie's a nickname

-Sex/Gender Identity: Female

-Relationship status: In a serious relationship with the best guy I could ever ask for. We'll call him C.

-Location (as specific as you are comfortable being): Missouri, United States

-Religious beliefs (or lack thereof): I was raised Catholic, and after a long period of contemplation, I realized that I'm much more of a spiritual agnostic.

-Political leanings: Pretty darn liberal for the most part, but there are a few issues on which I would take more of a moderate stance.

-Are you a vegetarian or vegan (or something else)? Vegan

-What is the meaning behind your username? Nickname + initial

-Have you ever met anyone famous? I've said hello to some musicians after seeing their concerts. Can't think of anyone else offhand, but I think I might have seen Salma Hayek at a restaurant once.

-Do you live with any companion animals? Two wonderful dogs and a precious little kitty cat

-Where is your favorite place that you have visited? Honestly, I haven't been to a lot of places. Probably Chicago, but that's where I'm from, so I don't know if that counts. I really want to live in San Francisco one day -- that'll probably become my favorite place.

-What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? I love knowing that I'm doing my part to make the world a better place. And it's so much fun to try new foods!

-With whom would you most love to have dinner? Probably the Dalai Lama.

-Do you have any secret talents? I can touch my tongue to my nose, which is exciting!

-What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off? I make a great marinara sauce, but I can't take all the credit because I adapted it from C's recipe.

-What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue? My first inclination is to watch a feel-good movie -- usually a fun chick flick!

-What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster? Actually it was a few weeks ago, when I tried to make a fancy enchilada dinner. My first mistake was overcooking the rice, and then it was pretty much a culinary domino effect of terrible-ness.

-What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"? This week, the winner is (*drum roll*)...turkey! Currently looking for a great vegan entree recipe that I can bring to Thanksgiving lunch tomorrow. Leaning towards a rice-and-lentil loaf seasoned with traditional Thanksgiving herbs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Sadie

Welcome to the hot seat!!!

What do you consider to be your two finest personality traits?
What do consider to be your most regrettable personality traits?

What was your saddest moment and what your happiest?

Lesley x
#3 Old 11-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Impeach the gangster

Living in Missouri, do you get to visit the Yakov Smirnoff theater on a regular basis?

When you touch your tongue to your nose, have you ever become stuck in that position?

What are your pet's names?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 11-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Sadie!

Would you prefer a straw hut on the beach or a cabin in the woods?
Describe your dream job.
#6 Old 11-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you ever scrubbed a walrus's back with a loofa?

What is the highest number you ever bothered to contemplate counting to?

Is literature brain poison?

Who let the dogs out?

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#7 Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Banned

'Lo Ms P

Waht are the single most important things you have learned in the last;

One year?

Five years?

10 years?

Since your mother yelled "YOU B'ASTARD!!" at your father just before you 'hit the mat'?
#8 Old 11-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippy View Post

Hi Sadie

Welcome to the hot seat!!!

What do you consider to be your two finest personality traits?
What do consider to be your most regrettable personality traits?

What was your saddest moment and what your happiest?

Lesley x

Why thank you!

My two finest personality traits -- this is hard because I'm my own worst critic (aren't we all?). Hmmm...well, I feel that open-mindedness is one of the most important goals for which to strive, so I take this seriously. I also have a wide variety of interests, academic and otherwise -- needless to say I spend lots of time in the academic library and on the ol' webz.

One regrettable personality trait is that my feelings get hurt easily, though I try really hard not to show it. Of course, my sensitivity could be what led me to veganism, so perhaps it isn't all bad. I also get really cranky when I'm hungry.

Oh wow -- not sure if I can name the happiest and saddest moments ever, because there have been a lot of moments! In the somewhat recent past, the saddest moment was probably when I was working at a veterinary clinic and I witnessed animal euthanasia for the first time. It absolutely devastated me. I'm sure my happiest moment had something to do with C, but there are just too many to choose from! Probably the first time he said "I love you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

Have you ever been convicted of a felony?

Nope! No criminal record. Not even a speeding ticket! (Knock on wood...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Living in Missouri, do you get to visit the Yakov Smirnoff theater on a regular basis?

When you touch your tongue to your nose, have you ever become stuck in that position?

What are your pet's names?

Hahaha! I suppose I could visit the Yakov Smirnoff Theater whenever I felt like it, but I have no desire to check it out. Branson's not really my thing. Though I must say, the drive into Branson is absolutely beautiful, especially in the fall. Lots of rolling hills.

No, my tongue has never gotten stuck when I've touched it to my nose, but I have a temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder that causes my jaw to lock when I yawn the wrong way. It then snaps shut when I close my mouth. And it hurts like the dickens.

My dogs' names are Vinny and Sam. My cat's name is Abbie. And they are all so darn cute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Hi Sadie!

Would you prefer a straw hut on the beach or a cabin in the woods?
Describe your dream job.

Hello!

Definitely a cabin in the woods. A straw hut on the beach would be quite awesome, but I just love the idea of curling up on a couch in front of the fireplace in a wooden cabin, with a light snow coming down outside. Now I want to read some Thoreau!

My dream job would be to work for a no-kill animal rescue organization as a veterinary technician. I would also want to be a member of a team that removes abused and neglected animals from their current locations and brings them to sanctuaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

Have you ever scrubbed a walrus's back with a loofa?

What is the highest number you ever bothered to contemplate counting to?

Is literature brain poison?

Who let the dogs out?

I can't honestly say I've ever scrubbed a walrus's back with a loofa, but given the opportunity, I would absolutely do this.

Oh geez, I have no idea. I've probably thought about what it might be like to count to a very high number, but this process probably seemed so tedious that I'm sure I didn't think about it for long.

In general, literature is more like the antidote for brain poison. Of course, when it comes to controversial literature, perceived toxicity or healing qualities all depends on one's political and religious perspectives. Sigh...isn't this always the case. lol.

Who DID let the dogs out?? We may never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

'Lo Ms P

Waht are the single most important things you have learned in the last;

One year?

Five years?

10 years?

Since your mother yelled "YOU B'ASTARD!!" at your father just before you 'hit the mat'?

Hi Clueless!

In the last year, having taught four sections of freshman composition at the university as part of my graduate assistantship, I learned that I do not want to devote my career to teaching in an academic setting.

In the last five years, I have learned a lot about who I am as a person, primarily in terms of my beliefs, values, and goals.

In the last ten years, I have learned how to conquer personal obstacles that have been particularly difficult to deal with.

Can't recall that scenario ever actually happening (though it would indeed be quite a sight to behold!), and I can't really answer in the hypothetical sense because I'm not quite sure what it means to "hit the mat." It sounds like a reference to contact sports, and for my 5'4", 103-lb self, this would be far too dangerous an undertaking.

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." --Martin Buber
#9 Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Who is the person on your avatar?

Why is the dog wearing clothes?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#10 Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

What's your favorite cookie?

Do you keep a journal or diary?

Do you know how to sew?

If you had to only wear purple or yellow forever, which would you choose? Blue or orange? Red or green? Black or white?

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#11 Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

How would you describe the contents of your figurative glass?

Does Mossman live?

How many times have you seen the zombie episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker?

When are you happiest at your nearest museum?

- Old Man
#12 Old 11-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I know who the person in your avatar is. Do you identify with Elle Woods? Why?

What are your favorite books?
#13 Old 11-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Who is the person on your avatar?

Why is the dog wearing clothes?

Technically it's Reese Witherspoon -- the character is Elle Woods from Legally Blonde. I chose this pic because (1) Elle is a self-declared vegetarian, and (2) Legally Blonde is one of my favorite feel-good movies. Why does her dog wear clothes? Ya gotta see the movie to understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

What's your favorite cookie?

Do you keep a journal or diary?

Do you know how to sew?

If you had to only wear purple or yellow forever, which would you choose? Blue or orange? Red or green? Black or white?

Chocolate chip, definitely.

I used to keep a diary, but I've gotten away from it -- maybe I should start that up again!

I know how to sew by hand, but I've never used a sewing machine before. I imagine it would make my projects much easier. lol.

Oh wow... hmmm. Purple. Blue. Green. Definitely black.

Quote:

How would you describe the contents of your figurative glass?

Does Mossman live?

How many times have you seen the zombie episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker?

When are you happiest at your nearest museum?

Easy. Red wine.

Does Mossman live? What a silly question! YES.

I have seen that episode zero times. Is it streaming on Netflix?

It's a toss-up between Renaissance art and mummies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I know who the person in your avatar is. Do you identify with Elle Woods? Why?

What are your favorite books?

Yay dormouse! Well, I am very different from what you might call real-life manifestations of the character. I'm not the quintessential girly-girl who wears name-brand clothing and drives a fancy car. But Elle and I are both "Gemini vegetarians," so I guess I identify with her in that sense! I don't think she's a vegan though -- she might be. She's also an animal rights activist in the sequel, but that movie should never have been made. With the exception of the animal rights theme, it's incredibly silly. Chose the pic because I was trying to find a famous fictional veg*n that wasn't currently being used as someone's VB avatar.

My favorite books? Well, I am working on a Masters in literature, so I should be able to answer this question, but I don't think I can -- I love so many! My favorites would fall into the categories of British Romanticism and Victorian literature. John Keats is my all-time favorite poet, and my favorite writer of prose would probably be George Eliot. I also love the American transcendentalists -- notably Emerson and Thoreau.

#14 Old 11-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieP View Post

Yay dormouse! Well, I am very different from what you might call real-life manifestations of the character. I'm not the quintessential girly-girl who wears name-brand clothing and drives a fancy car. But Elle and I are both "Gemini vegetarians," so I guess I identify with her in that sense! I don't think she's a vegan though -- she might be. She's also an animal rights activist in the sequel, but that movie should never have been made. With the exception of the animal rights theme, it's incredibly silly. Chose the pic because I was trying to find a famous fictional veg*n that wasn't currently being used as someone's VB avatar.

My favorite books? Well, I am working on a Masters in literature, so I should be able to answer this question, but I don't think I can -- I love so many! My favorites would fall into the categories of British Romanticism and Victorian literature. John Keats is my all-time favorite poet, and my favorite writer of prose would probably be George Eliot. I also love the American transcendentalists -- notably Emerson and Thoreau.

Do you specifically study English literature then (English language that is)? I am also working towards my Masters in literature (and language), but in Russian.

What is your favorite part of being a graduate student?
#15 Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you specifically study English literature then (English language that is)? I am also working towards my Masters in literature (and language), but in Russian.

What is your favorite part of being a graduate student?

Oh wow! Who's your favorite Russian author? I'm not extraordinarly familiar with Russian literature, but I've studied it a bit. Lermontov, Bulgakov (I love The Master and Margarita), Gogol, a little Dostoevsky. Really good stuff.

Yeah, I study mostly English literature and some American lit. My favorite part of being a graduate student is getting to focus on my research interests and adapting them to the content of the courses. But I'm SO ready to be done.

#16 Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Running or skating?

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#17 Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you know where that rattling sound is coming from?

How many parrots do you need to interview before you find one qualified to carry lanterns to light the path for gorillas, lift monkeys to safety, and spit coconuts at evil alligators?

If Michael Keaton was a parrot, would he be a parrakeaton?

cotton swabs: A blessing or a curse?

- Old Man
#18 Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

What's your favorite salad made up of?

Do you prefer large, open spaces, or small, comfy/cozy/closed ones?

Do you like roller coasters?

What countries would you like to visit?

#19 Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

Running or skating?

As a sport, skating!! For efficiency and practicality, running.

Quote:

Do you know where that rattling sound is coming from?

How many parrots do you need to interview before you find one qualified to carry lanterns to light the path for gorillas, lift monkeys to safety, and spit coconuts at evil alligators?

If Michael Keaton was a parrot, would he be a parrakeaton?

cotton swabs: A blessing or a curse?

SNAKE!!!!!

A superb question, my friend. At least four.

Either that or a Keatoparrot.

A blessing, as long as there's cotton on both ends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

What's your favorite salad made up of?

Do you prefer large, open spaces, or small, comfy/cozy/closed ones?

Do you like roller coasters?

What countries would you like to visit?

You know, I'm really not a salad person! Isn't that weird, particularly for a vegan?? The reason for this is that I don't like a ton of raw leafy greens in one dish, and this is usually what comes to mind with the word "salad." Now, if it's an alternative salad -- tomato-basil, fruit and nut, pasta salad, vegetables minus leafy greens -- then I am a happy camper. Pasta salad is probably my favorite.

Well, I love being outdoors, but if the wide, open space is particularly expansive, it tends to make me nervous. In such situations I feel quite small and helpless. And yet, at the same time, the surroundings are always breathtaking and inspiring. But I'd have to say I prefer small, cozy spaces -- as long as they're not too enclosed and there's plenty of air.

I do not like roller coasters at all! They scare me. If I had to choose a preferred amusement park ride, it would probably be the merry-go-round.

I would LOVE to visit so many places. Definitely Italy and the British Isles. India. Japan.

#20 Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Besides Legally Blonde, what romantic comedies do you like?

Why did you decide to study literature at the graduate level?
#21 Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Where is the best establishment you've ever gotten a glass of water from?

Is there anything you'd like to say to the crab people?

Where in time is Carmen Sandiego?

How fat should a fluffy cat be?

- Old Man
#22 Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

How did you become veg*n?

What's next for you?

Are there any highly respected books or authors that you can't stand?

Jacques Derrida wrote an 80 page essay on the use of the word "yes" in James Joyce's Ulysses. Could you provide some perspective on the novel's use of the word "no"? Preferably in MLA format.
#23 Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Besides Legally Blonde, what romantic comedies do you like?

Why did you decide to study literature at the graduate level?

My Big Fat Greek Wedding is another favorite of mine -- it's basically my family hyperbolized. Also While You Were Sleeping, starring Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman. My mom and I love watching these movies together.

Well, I thought I wanted to pursue a PhD and teach literature at the university level, but during the second semester of my MA program, I realized that wasn't at all what I wanted. So now I'm finishing the degree just to finish it, which is kinda depressing sometimes, but at the same time, a Masters in English will probably lend itself well to written forms of animal advocacy.

Quote:

Where is the best establishment you've ever gotten a glass of water from?

Is there anything you'd like to say to the crab people?

Where in time is Carmen Sandiego?

How fat should a fluffy cat be?

Any bar, after I've had too much to drink.

Actually, no. I got it all off my chest last week when I ran into a couple of them downtown.

Last time I checked, 1973.

As fat as is humanly possible. Or rather, felinely possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

How did you become veg*n?

What's next for you?

Are there any highly respected books or authors that you can't stand?

Jacques Derrida wrote an 80 page essay on the use of the word "yes" in James Joyce's Ulysses. Could you provide some perspective on the novel's use of the word "no"? Preferably in MLA format.

You know, I think it was somewhat of an epiphany that led me to veg*nism. About halfway through college, it occurred to me that because all living beings evolved from one organism -- "Ancestor Zero," so to speak -- then all living beings should be treated with respect. Not just humans and our companion animals. And when it comes to sentience, why should a dog have greater inherent value than a pig? Or a cow? Or sheep or a chicken? Are they not all sentient beings with neurological systems like mine? Like that of my dog? And when I saw undercover footage of slaughterhouses in operation, that did it. These animals that I had eaten since I was a very young child experienced love, fear, happiness, pain -- just like I do. Just like my dog does. And when I realized just how interconnected the animal industry is, and how there is so much suffering even when an animal is not killed in order to produce something -- eggs and dairy, for instance -- I realized that not eating meat wasn't enough to make a true stand against animal exploitation. This led me to veganism. I really wish I could say that I have been a veg*n ever since that time, but I abandoned it for health reasons, and it took me a while to dedicate myself to veg*nism again. And quite honestly, I think I had to re-experience these epiphanies once more before I realized that it had to be a lifelong commitment. I've been a vegetarian since November of last year and a vegan since the beginning of THIS November, and my decision to stand up for animals in this way is probably one of the very best decisions I've ever made and will ever make. It's truly life-affirming.

What's next for me? Graduating this next summer, hopefully. Then we will see. Taking things one step at a time.

I'm trying really hard to think of a book/author that I absolutely cannot stand, and that's a tough one! Even when I'm not all that interested in a book or author, I try to find something that I admire. If I eventually think of something or someone, I'll edit my post.

It does not surprise me in the least that Derrida would write a long essay about one reoccuring word in a novel. For me, Derrida is the most difficult to understand of all the literary critics I've studied -- probably because I'm not interested in language theory. And I have not read Ulysses. So I refuse your challenge! Ha!! ----although Ulysses is on my reading list.

#24 Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Sandwiches or pizza?

Soup or salad?

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#25 Old 11-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Sandwiches AND pizza! Love 'em both!

Neither soup nor salad. Not a fan of either.

#26 Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Banned

That 'little girl lost/cute fluffy bunny' thing going on in your avatar ...

Is that just a ploy?

#27 Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Where does Snowcone get the ideas for all those imaginative questions questions?

More seriously... what about teaching was a turn-off for you? (I wish you the best in whatever area you eventually apply all you have learned!)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#28 Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

That 'little girl lost/cute fluffy bunny' thing going on in your avatar ...

Is that just a ploy?

Not a ploy -- just for fun. My avatar will probably change soon, anyway -- gotta find something festive for the holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Where does Snowcone get the ideas for all those imaginative questions questions?

More seriously... what about teaching was a turn-off for you? (I wish you the best in whatever area you eventually apply all you have learned!)

I don't know, but they are quite imaginative indeed!

Thanks, Tom -- I think the hardest part for me was feeling like I couldn't really be myself and still be taken seriously as a teacher. Plus, I connect with people much better one-on-one than I do in front of a large group; I feel that I'm a much more effective writing tutor, which is my current job.

#29 Old 12-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I'll close the thread now that SadieP answered the last couple questions.

Interviews will be going on a hiatus for a while.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page