VB Star of the Week: Saxyphonist! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to this week's Interview Thread! LilBigBug chose Saxyphonist as your victim from February 21-28!

-Please ask only a few questions as a time some everyone has a chance to participate and the interviewee does not get bogged down.
-The interviewee is free to skip any questions they don't want to answer.
-Follow the forum rules and keep this thread fun (meaning, please don't debate the interviewee on any opinions they express).
-At the end of the week, the interviewee will pick from this thread's participants the next interviewee. So if you'd like the chance to be interviewed, ask some questions! (Asking questions does not necessarily mean you are consenting to be interviewed. You can turn down the opportunity should you be chosen.)

Without further ado, Saxy's initial questionnaire to get you started:

Quote:
-Real first name (if you are comfortable sharing):

Spencer

-Sex/Gender Identity

Male.

-Relationship status

Single.

-Location (as specific as you are comfortable being)

I split my time between Michigan (my hometown) and Southern California (where I go to college).

-Religious beliefs (or lack thereof)

Atheist.

-Political leanings

Lefty, lefty, left. More liberal than the Democrats, although that doesn't really say too much...

-Are you a vegetarian or vegan (or something else)?

Vegan.

-What is the meaning behind your username?

I play saxophone. When I signed up for vb my regular online tag (thegulliblecynic) was too long for the forum software so I had to improvise. I think I like saxyphonist better, anyways.

-Have you ever met anyone famous?

I've been to master classes put on by some fairly famous jazz musicians, I suppose, but I don't think I interacted with them enough for it to really count. And my current jazz band director is well known in the jazz community, since he played with Ornette Coleman for a few years, although he wasn't in the band during their most active and most prominent period. I also got my copy of Eragon signed by Christopher Paolini back when I thought Eragon was pretty good literature.

-Do you live with any companion animals?

At home, I live with a dog. Her name is Georgia and she's a springer spaniel mix. We adopted her from the humane society about 5 years ago but she still acts like a puppy.

-Do you live with any companion humans?

At home, I live with my mother and my younger brother. At school, I have a roommate.

-Where is your favorite place that you have visited?

My high school's band visited China last year as part of a cultural exchange program. In addition to doing lots of the typical touristy things (visiting the forbidden city, buying bootleg fashion) we played several concerts, including one in conjunction with a Chinese university's orchestra and one at the foot of the Great Wall. It was an amazing experience!

-What do you enjoy most about being veg*n?

Knowing that I'm doing my best to avoid infringing on the rights of other sentient beings, I suppose.

-With whom would you most love to have dinner?

Herbie Hancock. He was the first jazz musician I got into and I still love his music. (He was also amazing when I saw him live. He even came out with a keytar at one point!)

-Do you have any secret talents?

My snarky side really comes out around the right people. I'm a bit more reserved with it in a public forum like this. Don't know if that quite counts as a secret talent, though.

-What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off?

People tend to love my baked goods. I made cookies n' cream cupcakes for my friend's party a few of weeks ago and they were a big hit. (Plus, the mint oreos I used went really well with the peppermint vodkatinis he was serving!)

-What's your favorite restaurant?

My favorite I go to regularly is probably the little hole in the wall vegetarian indian place I go to in my hometown. But I've also had the chance to eat at some amazing veg places in the LA area when I've been able to get into the city!

-What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue?

Get lost in a good book, watch a funny movie, or listen to some great music. I also comfort eat sometimes but that's probably not the best habit...

-What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster?

Whenever I cook it ends up being a series of minor crises (actually, that's just my life in general ) but can't remember the last time I produced something entirely inedible. The vegan mac'n'cheese I accidentally made with sweetened (possibly vanilla?) soymilk was pretty terrible, though.

-What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"?

I'm going to go with Kraft East Mac (aka easy crack). Don't know what chemical they put in there to get that special flavor. It's probably a carcinogen or something but I don't really care.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

If you were asked to play music for ONE person (dead or alive), who would you choose?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#3 Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Saxy!!!

How did you get so Saxy?

More importantly, what is your middle name and do you like it?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Best album from Coltrane that you've listened to?

What's the most memorable or important thing you've read on VB?

(once again, my asking any questions doesn't signify a desire to be interviewed)

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Sexy Saxy, how are you so sexy?

Favorite crayon?

Summer or winter?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#6 Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

(once again, my asking any questions doesn't signify a desire to be interviewed)

That's different than what you've said before, which is that you NEVER want to be interviewed... Change of heart, Darlin'? You goin' soft on me?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

If you could have one super power what would it be and why?

Do you have fond childhood memories?

Do you still own any toys from your childhood?
#8 Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of books do you like to read?

Favorite Vegan meal?

Atame.
#9 Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Impeach the gangster

If you lived in an era before the invention of the saxyphone, say, the Baroque era, what instrument would you play?

Do you read music?

What music did you play at the Great Wall?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#10 Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Did you ever finish incubating the baby?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#11 Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

What songs do you like to play with your Sax?
#12 Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Any chance of a sound/video clip of you playing your sax , Sax.
#13 Old 02-21-2011, 02:43 PM
mlp
Banned

What's your favorite memory?

Your biggest regret?

It's your 93rd birthday. What do you want to see as you look back on your life?

What quality would you like to have that you don't have?

What are other people's most common/biggest criticism of you?

How do other people see you? How does that differ from how you see yourself?
#14 Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Saxy!!!

How did you get so Saxy?

Awesome q.......

MAH SAXY! YOU BE ONE SAXY BEAST!

I'm making you a pizza, what would you like on it?

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#15 Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Favorite fruit and veggie?

Favorite spice?

If you could only eat 5 things every day for the rest of your life what would they be?
#16 Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn, this is gonna be a mega post. Here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Probably somewhere in the Arab world, possibly Jordan or Lebanon. I'm currently studying Arabic and, while I don't really know enough yet for it to be practical, I'd like to have a chance to experience that culture firsthand. Also, falafel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

If you were asked to play music for ONE person (dead or alive), who would you choose?

Pepper Adams, one of my favorite bari sax players (deceased). I'd be utterly terrified but I would love to get his input because he's been such a major influence on me.

Quote:

Saxy!!!

How did you get so Saxy?

Well, back in fifth grade everyone had to pick out an instrument to learn. I didn't know much about music but I liked the saxophone's shape so I put it down as my first choice but since the school only had two saxophones and more of us had chosen it there was a lottery, of which I was one of the winners. Things just developed from there. My second choice was trombone so it's probably a good thing that the lottery worked out for me.

Quote:

Owen. It doesn't fit me. I think it sounds like either a blond-haired farm boy with a gap between his teeth or an elderly british gentleman. And don't ask me where I got those connotations because I don't have the first idea.

Quote:

Best album from Coltrane that you've listened to?

I have to go with A Love Supreme. It's got just the right amount of the transcendental quality that characterized his later music but it's still more anchored in the more traditional jazz he was producing earlier in his career. (Not that I don't love his really out later albums, but I think A Love Supreme is much more listenable.)

Quote:

What's the most memorable or important thing you've read on VB?

I don't think I can name one particular post. But through reading various discussions of animal rights and veganism I've definitely shifted from a more welfare oriented approach to a more animal rights oriented one. You, SomebodyElse, and Nogardsram especially have been important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Sexy Saxy, how are you so sexy?

That's just how I be.

Quote:

Favorite crayon?

I'm more of a colored pencil type. Fuschia is always nice, though.

Quote:

Summer or winter?

SoCal winters! Seriously, though, summer because I tend to prefer summer outdoors activities (camping, hiking, bicycling) to winter outdoors activities. Spring is my favorite season followed by fall because I prefer mild weather to either extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

If you could have one super power what would it be and why?

Teleportation! I'm always running late for everything. If I could just roll out of bed, brush my teeth, and be in class things would be much better for me.

Quote:

Do you have fond childhood memories?

In elementary school, my friends and I would play these elaborate fantasy role-playing games at lunch and during recess. One of my friends created them himself and took on the 'dungeon master' role (although this was years before we discovered dungeons and dragons). They were always a blast.

Quote:

Do you still own any toys from your childhood?

We still have my gigantic bin of legos, some of which were actually my dad's when he was a kid, at home. Legos were my favorite thing ever for so many years (and kind of still are!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaisa View Post

What kind of books do you like to read?

My tastes have changed a lot over the years. I used to be extremely into sci fi and fantasy and practically refused to read anything else. While I still enjoy those genres, I've branched out a lot. In the past few years I've been reading a lot of contemporary fiction. Some of my favorites include Jonathan Safran Foer's work and Infinite Jest. If I want something light and somewhat escapist I pick up a Terry Pratchett novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaisa View Post

Favorite Vegan meal?

Just a well done falafel sandwich, with lots of hummus and tahini dressing. Veggie stuffed grape leaves on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

If you lived in an era before the invention of the saxyphone, say, the Baroque era, what instrument would you play?

The bassoon! I love the low reedy tone.

Quote:

Do you read music?

Yes. I'm actually better at learning music from written parts than by ear. Improving my ear is something I'm currently working at and I think my relatively poor ear is one of my greatest weaknesses.

Quote:

What music did you play at the Great Wall?

I don't remember the entire program. I know we started with the Chinese national anthem and ended with the Stars and Stripes Forever. We also played some pops stuff, like music from Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and also some more serious concert literature. What I played in band which years of high school kind of runs together for me, which is kind of sad considering I've only been out of high school one year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Did you ever finish incubating the baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

What songs do you like to play with your Sax?

I do jazz mostly. I love playing blues (the chord progression). I'm familiar enough with it that I can relax and focus on my ideas rather than worrying about hitting changes. I've also been working on lots of Charlie Parker tunes lately, trying to improve my bebop lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegold View Post

Any chance of a sound/video clip of you playing your sax , Sax.

Best show I've ever played. It was a local showcase of teen talent. We played that song for a crowd of 1000+. I'm the bari player (I have long hair and I'm in the red pants. ).:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRZ6L...91789D0A4ACE24

A couple more where you can hear me better.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNKBeV1E9Ik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiMe-MpNtzg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

What's your favorite memory?

Probably the china trip I mentioned above. It was just a wonderful experience and it was with so many of my good friends.

Quote:

Your biggest regret?

I wasted pretty much two years of my life (first two years of high school) being angsty and angry and as a result had very few friends and also fairly strained relations with my family (which may still have yet to recover completely). I would relive those with a better attitude.

Quote:

It's your 93rd birthday. What do you want to see as you look back on your life?

I want to be content. I'm not sure at this point what that implies, because my vision for my life and my future is still very fuzzy. But I think I know the way I want to feel, even if I don't know how I want to achieve that.

Quote:

What quality would you like to have that you don't have?

I would like to be more outgoing and better at meeting new people. I tend to have trouble in social situations where there are too many people involved and I can only hold a truly adequate conversation with certain people, who have the right communication style. I'm extremely jealous of the people who are able to hold a conversation about anything with anyone.

Quote:

What are other people's most common/biggest criticism of you?

Probably that I communicate poorly. That's certainly the one my mother latches onto when we have words.

Quote:

How do other people see you? How does that differ from how you see yourself?

People who have spent any time with probably see me very differently than someone passing me on the street would. I have a fairly bold appearance, which contrasts with my fairly introverted personality.

My friends see me as a bit of a cynic and as someone who doesn't take things very seriously, when actually I am a bit more earnest than I sometimes let on and I definitely make more of an effort than I sometimes pretend to. I think it's a bit of a defense mechanism.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#17 Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

More! I got distracted in the middle of that post, thus the long delay which caused me to miss these two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFL View Post

MAH SAXY! YOU BE ONE SAXY BEAST!

Quote:

I'm making you a pizza, what would you like on it?

Sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, roasted peppers, maybe some other veggies too. Daiya cheese but used sparingly and only for texture. Homemade vegan parmesan on top (combine almonds, miso, and nooch in the food processor). Brush the crust with olive oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Favorite fruit and veggie?

Fruit: Clementines! I could eat them all day. Berries of all sorts are a close second, though
Veggie: Hot peppers, the hotter the better. But eggplant if I'm feeling wimpy.

Quote:

Favorite spice?

Cardamom. I love its beautiful fragrance.

Quote:

If you could only eat 5 things every day for the rest of your life what would they be?

Chili, falafel, citrus, kale, and chocolate!

#18 Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh! I love the way cardamom smells, what do you use it in (other than chai)?

#19 Old 02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
mlp
Banned

If you were going to be born into a time that's at least fifty years prior to your actual birth date, when and where would you choose to be born if you can't select the family or socio-economic conditions into which you would be born? Why?

Describe the kind of person who would be your idea of the perfect friend. Describe the kind of person who would be your idea of the perfect love interest.

How did you grow from an angsty angry person into the person you are today within such a short time?
#20 Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ooh! I love the way cardamom smells, what do you use it in (other than chai)?

Chai snickerdoodles, for one. Chai type spice blend mixed with the sugar rather than just cinnamon. It's also in the recipe for a garam masala spice blend I have.

#21 Old 02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

If you and I both were 21, would you drink goldschlager with me? Lmao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldschl%C3%A4ger

#22 Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

What's up with your fellow bandmates not wearing shirts?
#23 Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If you were going to be born into a time that's at least fifty years prior to your actual birth date, when and where would you choose to be born if you can't select the family or socio-economic conditions into which you would be born? Why?

1940s in America. I'd get to live through all the craziness and social upheaval that was the 1960s. Plus, I'd get to hear some of my favorite jazz as it came out (Coltrane, Mingus, Miles, etc.) I also would want to be born as close to the present as possible because of both better social welfare policies and better technology.

Quote:

Describe the kind of person who would be your idea of the perfect friend. Describe the kind of person who would be your idea of the perfect love interest.

The two are surprisingly similar, which may be why I tend to fall for friends when I fall for anyone. Ultimately, I look for someone who I'm able to comfortably communicate with. I like people who, like me, are less aggressive and who tend to phrase things in non-confrontational ways, who look for discussion rather than debate. There's just that extra spark that inspires romantic interest in me, I'm not sure exactly what it is. I've never been in a romantic relationship, though. I don't really have the guts to initiate, to take a friendship to that next level.

Quote:

How did you grow from an angsty angry person into the person you are today within such a short time?

I eventually started to make new friends, although it was really by no effort of mine. (The angstiness was inspired, at least in part, by the fact that I ended up at a different high school from many of my friends at a point in my life where we had been growing apart anyways and without the proximity going to the same school provided we didn't end up doing much together.) When I started getting out of the house more and developing a group of people at school I felt were actually my friends it really improved my mental state. I still have some of the insecurities and social anxiety that were a major part of issue but they're less of a problem now and I've been much, much better about meeting people here at college despite going in not knowing anyone at all.

Quote:

If you and I both were 21, would you drink goldschlager with me? Lmao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldschl%C3%A4ger

Sure. I'm not one to turn down a drink and I love cinnamon.

#24 Old 02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What's up with your fellow bandmates not wearing shirts?

Er....I'm gonna leave that one for them to answer!

#25 Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow those were alot of question all at once,
Anyhow are you ready for the Spring and Summer?
#26 Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Who is that in your avatar, and why do you always seem to choose androgenous/efimenate (sp?) avatars?

#27 Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Ankle Biter

saxy - would you prefer to play music in shorts and t-shirt, or in a custom-made suit?

Do you prefer tofu scramble or blueberry pancakes?

If you were a painter, would you paint still-life, landscapes, or something less-defined?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#28 Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow those were alot of question all at once,

It was a flood!

Quote:

Anyhow are you ready for the Spring and Summer?

Definitely. Although, I'm kind of living in the land of perpetual sunshine anyways so the definition is a bit academic at this point.

Quote:

Who is that in your avatar, and why do you always seem to choose androgenous/efimenate (sp?) avatars?

That is Marcel Duchamp in his Rrose Sélavy persona (pun meaning "Eros, c'est la vie" = Eros, that's life). I like effeminate and female avatars on here mainly because I like confusing people. When I realized people would think I was female if I put up a female avatar I just kept doing it, just to be difficult I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

saxy - would you prefer to play music in shorts and t-shirt, or in a custom-made suit?

Shorts and a t-shirt any day! I'm all about casual. Suits are nice and snazzy but I prefer comfort.

Quote:

Do you prefer tofu scramble or blueberry pancakes?

The pancakes—extra credit if you replace the blueberries with chocolate chips!

Quote:

If you were a painter, would you paint still-life, landscapes, or something less-defined?

Something less defined. I like abstraction in visual art.

#29 Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

If you could travel in time, what place and time would you tavel to and why?

ÂNothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. - Oscar Wilde
#30 Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Im digging the androgeny. My username gives me away though.

Whats the story behind the infamous bo peep pics?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page