Interviews.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Would you like to see them return?

If so, what would you like to see changed?

How can we increase participation in these threads?

Discuss amongst yourselves....

Attachment 13852
LL

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I always liked reading them, though I rarely participated. If they come back I promise I will be more active

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#3 Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I also liked them. I thought participation was pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been wondering when they will be back. Not sure anything needs to change though.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

I thought participation was fine also, even though it slowed down a bit after the initial excitement.

Participation was automatically limited by the rule that we could only ask 2 or 3 questions, I forget how many it was. Before that rule was implemented the interviewees kept up with the flood and seemed to enjoy it - that's why they volunteered/agreed, because they wanted to be asked things. So I would definitely remove that and let people post as much as they want.
#6 Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I enjoyed reading them. The one thing I can think of is to have something slightly more prominent to direct attention to the interview thread. I often skim over the Forum Information area and sometimes I overlook that.

I believe everything.
#7 Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like to see them back and I also thought they worked fairly well as the were previously set up.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#8 Old 11-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I don't think there need to be many rules. I like the basic set of questionnaire to begin with, but after that, people should be able to ask as many questions as they feel like, especially if participation is low.

It's not like it costs anything to have these threads. Even if only 10 people are enjoying them, it's worth it!
#9 Old 11-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Good to hear. There have been some complaints/concerns before, so that's why I'm asking this time around. The lack of participation just seems to be that the first couple of threads are really busy, and then it dies down some. The limit to questions was put in place because some folks were having a hard time keeping up. I think maybe if we did two (or three) questions at a time, that would be sufficient. Once your questions have been answered, then you could do more, something like that?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 11-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Would you like to see them return?

If so, what would you like to see changed?

How can we increase participation in these threads?

Discuss amongst yourselves....

Attachment 13852

I would like to see them return. I rarely ask questions, because I'm not very original, and by the time I got around to the forums, my question had already been asked/answered.

BTW, love the attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

I enjoyed reading them. The one thing I can think of is to have something slightly more prominent to direct attention to the interview thread. I often skim over the Forum Information area and sometimes I overlook that.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#11 Old 11-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Good to hear. There have been some complaints/concerns before, so that's why I'm asking this time around. The lack of participation just seems to be that the first couple of threads are really busy, and then it dies down some. The limit to questions was put in place because some folks were having a hard time keeping up. I think maybe if we did two (or three) questions at a time, that would be sufficient. Once your questions have been answered, then you could do more, something like that?

I like that idea. I never participated because I could never keep up with all the questions. I also had a habit of totally overlooking the thread also.
#12 Old 11-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no interest in seeing them return. But other people seem to want to read them so they should probably be set up again. Although I'd be surprised if it didn't end up exactly the same as it has done all the other times. It just seems to be a silly cycle of setting them up at the request of the membership and then having to stop them due to lack of interest from the membership.

m8itcanw8.com
#13 Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 AM

^^^ i reckon you should do one. a full on, no holds barred expose
#14 Old 11-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I have no interest in seeing them return. But other people seem to want to read them so they should probably be set up again. Although I'd be surprised if it didn't end up exactly the same as it has done all the other times. It just seems to be a silly cycle of setting them up at the request of the membership and then having to stop them due to lack of interest from the membership.

In all honesty, I completely agree. It always seems to happen the same way.
#15 Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not seeing this 'lack of interest' that is being described. Specific examples? There are no discernible patterns to me.

Average Views: ~3129.64
Average Replies: ~62.47

Those seem like good numbers to me.
#16 Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

I am not seeing this 'lack of interest' that is being described. Specific examples? There are no discernible patterns to me.

Average Views: ~3129.64
Average Replies: ~62.47

Those seem like good numbers to me.

Look at the number of replies from the first interviews in a series, and then look at the numbers towards the end.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Look at the number of replies from the first interviews in a series, and then look at the numbers towards the end.

Why would you expect I haven't done this? The first series seems to increase until a plateau; the second series swings up in the middle and then down; and, the third series swings up and the end at then drops down to where it started. It doesn't seem entirely consistent, and there isn't a large enough sample size to draw definitive conclusions. I will graph it in excel later, but I'm just not seeing this enormous drop. Even when it does drop at various points it seems to shoot up again just as easily.

Additionally, even though the amount of replies change more dramatically (although I don't think as dramatically as is suggested), the views stay relatively stable (there is more room for fluctuation here because we are dealing in the thousands). So, even if less people respond to certain interviews, it seems that they are still getting viewed a reasonably large number of times.
#18 Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why would you expect I haven't done this? The first series seems to increase until a plateau; the second series swings up in the middle and then down; and, the third series swings up and the end and then drops down to where it started. It doesn't seem entirely consistent, and there isn't a large enough sample size to draw definitive conclusions. I will graph it in excel later, but I'm just not seeing this enormous drop. Even when it does drop at various points it seems to shoot up again just as easily.

Thanks Farmrush!

I believe everything.
#19 Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are some quick maths, following your suggestion that I review the first and last interviews in each series. I have decided what falls into each series by the title, so feel free to correct me if this is inappropriate. For each series I take the average number of replies from the first two, and averages from the last two, and then compare them. If you want to argue different comparisons they can be addressed separately. I have listed them in chronological order.

1:
Start: 39.5
End: 69*

*there are only three in this series, so the last one has nothing to be summed with. If you take the middle value and sum them then the average becomes 58.

2:
Start: 80
End: 99

3:
Start: 27*
End: 35.5

*I took the value of "Interviews 2010" as the first in the series. They are both 27. If you do not include this value, the average becomes 50.5. If you take all three the average becomes 42.67.

---

These are not wildly different values imo. The averages from the first and last three are 49.3 and 34.7 respectively. Interviews have gone down in popularity, but I don't see the huge margin. This may just be a matter of spacing them out more (VB Star of the Month) and other suggested changes.
#20 Old 11-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

wow. thanks for the statistical analysis. Honestly, I think most of us were speaking of a perceived lack of participation, but perhaps that perception wasn't accurate at all.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#21 Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Also worth noting that the number of views will also include multiple viewings by the interviewee, as well as those who have asked questions.
#22 Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I liked them.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#23 Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapt View Post

^^^ i reckon you should do one. a full on, no holds barred expose

How about NO.

m8itcanw8.com
#24 Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought they were a really interesting read. It's nice getting to know some of the more familiar faces around here.
#25 Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
mlp
Banned

I read them, although I didn't often ask questions, since people tended to have asked the questions I would have asked before I got to them.
#26 Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I will graph it in excel later

oooh, cant wait for that one !! just when i thought i was done with bad boys too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

How about NO.

#27 Old 12-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

m8itcanw8.com
#28 Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this illustrates my point. The numbers are all over the place. Yes, they died off at the end, but in terms of views they are actually fairly high, and in terms of replies, while lower, they are only slightly below what they started as. Take note of the massive spikes in the replies chart. Also, notice that even though the replies drop off, the views are actually increasing (and are on par with what they started as). Feel free to break them into 'series.'

It is important not to say, "Well, the replies ended low, therefore people are losing interest." Where you draw the line for the last item in the series is fairly arbitrary and had there been more interviews after, it could've easily swung up again (or dropped further). Extrapolate carefully.
#29 Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Some VBers are clearly more popular than others. I think if you interview me there will be lots of interest, or at least there had better be!
#30 Old 12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Some VBers are clearly more popular than others. I think if you interview me there will be lots of interest, or at least there had better be!

Send me $5, and I'll post 5 times in your interview thread.

Not only can I be bought, I'm cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page