Star of the Week: unovegan! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-06-2009, 03:12 PM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
"Star of the Week" is your chance to get to know one VBer just a bit better. Each interviewee will be asked a standard 20 questions, and then then their answers are posted here, to start the thread.



Other members are welcome to ask questions, but are asked to limit themselves to 2 questions at a time, in order to allow the interviewee time to respond, and to give everyone a chance to ask something.



This week's star....unovegan!



I've asked unovegan to post his answers to the starter questions, in this thread.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

"Star of the Week" is your chance to get to know one VBer just a bit better. Each interviewee will be asked a standard 20 questions, and then then their answers are posted here, to start the thread.



Other members are welcome to ask questions, but are asked to limit themselves to 2 questions at a time, in order to allow the interviewee time to respond, and to give everyone a chance to ask something.



This week's star....unovegan!



I've asked unovegan to post his answers to the starter questions, in this thread.



Gender/Age/Location -Male/37/United States



- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)? Vegan



- How do you spend your working week? I'm a case manager with TASC (Treatment Alternatives for Safe Communities). Basically I work with parolees with a goal of stopping them from returning to prison utilizing community assistance.



- How long have you been veg*n? almost 18 years vegetarian, vegan for about 16 years.



- How did you find VeggieBoards? Boredom with other veg*n sites.



- What is the meaning behind your username? About 12 years ago I was looking for a webtv!! name. It popped up on my radar and I've used it ever since. I didn't want a snooty vegan name and it's done the job.



- Have you ever met anyone famous? Depends on the definition of. I've seen Alan Alda in passing in Italy. I've known quite a few hardcore/punk underground folk over the years.



- Do you live with any companion animals? A catahoula hound/australian shepherd mix named Sadie, 3 cats-My oldest son Bunny, my wife's Jasemine and a semi tame feral named Tushy we brought in the house before mountain lions or coyotes got her.



- Do you live with any companion humans? A wife named Shannon. My 4 year old boy named Sam and our 8 month old daughter Maya.



- Where is your favorite place that you have visited? Tulum, Mexico was wonderful. Swimming with tropical fish that I raised as a kid was amazing.



- Ninjas or pirates? Pirates, because I've had some burly beards. I was also in a hardcore band that we almost named Beard.



- What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? Giving the animals a break. Knowing that in this messed up world, I'm actually giving a damn even though at times I wonder if it's worth it.



- What is your favorite VB post? Tough one. I think that any of the threads that have given me pause would be up there. i've learned alot even though I hate to admit it at times.



- With whom would you most love to have dinner? IDK. There's lot of people that I'd like to get to know. No one particular stands out. Oh yeah, every single person on this board. Even the ones I'd love to smack at times.



- Do you have any secret talents? Yes I do.



- What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off? I make really good vegan pancakes. They're healthy yet very tasty.



- What's your favorite restaurant? I might have to go with Watercourse veg*n restaurant in Denver. Totally impressed and vegan desserts to die for.



- What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue? Work out until exhaustion or maybe watch a good comedy (Anchorman, Groundhog Day, etc.)



- What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster? Haven't really had a major cooking disaster. I made a vegan Italian Creme Cake and put icing in the middle and on top. Forgot to actually coat the thing all the way around. Wondered about the look.



- What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"? Over Xmas, I think i'll try a vegan lasagna utilizing cream cheese/tofu in the inside and tofutti slices on top. boom.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#3 Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AeryFairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,293
Which do you prefer; coffee or tea?



Do you like Batman?



Edit: whoops, I broke a rule! *deletes two questions*


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AeryFairy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Which do you prefer; coffee or tea?



Do you like Batman?



Edit: whoops, I broke a rule! *deletes two questions*



Be careful lady.



Coffee!!!! Tea's cute, but it ain't all that.



Batman's cool. He's not one of my favorite superheroes but he has a nice dark and foreboding look.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#5 Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
dormouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,609
Favorite albums. As many as you feel like listing. Top 5 or 10. I don't care.



Favorite books.
dormouse is offline  
#6 Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fyvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,664
What's are your most and least favorite movies?*



If you could instantly learn any language without any effort on your part, what would it be?





*Did you see that? I combined TWO questions into ONE bwhahaha!!!
Fyvel is offline  
#7 Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Favorite albums. As many as you feel like listing. Top 5 or 10. I don't care.



Favorite books.



Oh lord. Favorite Albums:

Citizen Fish: Free Souls in a Trapped Environment

Superchunk:1st album

Seam:The Problem with Me

Most Steely Dan records



This actually runs the gamut. I like stuff from indie, punk, metal, hardcore, classic rock, hip hop, etc.





Favorite Books:

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Amazing.

Old Favorite:Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Possibly any short story collection by him as well.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#8 Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

What's are your most and least favorite movies?*



If you could instantly learn any language without any effort on your part, what would it be?





*Did you see that? I combined TWO questions into ONE bwhahaha!!!



A Mod cheater!!



Some of my favorite movies:

Family Man

Solaris

All the Pretty Horses

Anchorman

Talledega Nights

American Psycho



Least:

I Am Legend

Leatherface remakes

others but can't think of them atm. Lots of so-so movies but not that many that I downright abhor.



I'd learn Spanish as it has a lot of use these days and my heritage is partly that.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#9 Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fyvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,664
Have you seen the movie of The Road? (I'm hoping to see it in the next couple of days)



Thanks for reminding me about Solaris. I wanted to see it and forgot about it. I just added it to my Netflix queue.



(Does this mean I can ask more questions? If so...):



If you won a million dollars and had to donate it to ONE charity, what would that charity be and why?
Fyvel is offline  
#10 Old 12-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

Have you seen the movie of The Road? (I'm hoping to see it in the next couple of days)



Thanks for reminding me about Solaris. I wanted to see it and forgot about it. I just added it to my Netflix queue.



(Does this mean I can ask more questions? If so...):



If you won a million dollars and had to donate it to ONE charity, what would that charity be and why?



Sadly, the Road isn't playing anywhere nearby. I don't get excited about many movies, but I'm definitely excited about that one as I loved the book.



Solaris is a GREAT love story. If you like atmospheric movies, it's a great one. I just saw the original and liked it as well. But, i really liked the Clooney remake.



Ask away. You're the boss!!



The charity question is a very tough one. I wouldn't take something like that lightly at all. I'd have to do lots of research. But, for the question right now, perhaps I'd choose Peaceful Prairie which is an animal sanctuary that espouses vegan philosophies. I've been impressed with them.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#11 Old 12-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fyvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post


Ask away. You're the boss!!



I'm not the boss of you! (Sorry I couldn't resist)



You find a magic lamp and a genie pops out, offering to grant you three wishes. What do you order for dinner? And what color are the genie's underpants?
Fyvel is offline  
#12 Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

I'm not the boss of you! (Sorry I couldn't resist)



You find a magic lamp and a genie pops out, offering to grant you three wishes. What do you order for dinner? And what color are the genie's underpants?



Nice.

Vegan eggplant parmigiana that tastes exactly like the world's best.



As the genie would have to be from I Dream of Jeannie, they would have to be pink! Genie's don't play!

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#13 Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fyvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,664
Haha! I like the way you think! Jeannie indeed (great show, btw)
Fyvel is offline  
#14 Old 12-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular
 
AeryFairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,293
Have you read the book version of American Psycho, and what did you think?*



I recently read it, never seen the film, just wondered if you had read and enjoyed it.



Also, do you have any weird phobias?



*If mods can cheat...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AeryFairy is offline  
#15 Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I can never think of any decent questions!!!



Who is your best friend?



Do you believe in aliens or ghosts or anything alternative?
GhostUser is offline  
#16 Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Have you read the book version of American Psycho, and what did you think?*



I recently read it, never seen the film, just wondered if you had read and enjoyed it.



Also, do you have any weird phobias?



*If mods can cheat...



I have read American Psycho. I really enjoyed it for the most part. There was one part with the homeless guy and his dog that was hard to stomach. Great book though. The movie actually does the book justice.



I can't think of any phobias off hand. So, obviously i don't have any!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I can never think of any decent questions!!!



Who is your best friend?



Do you believe in aliens or ghosts or anything alternative?



My best friend is my wife Shannon. She's a good kid.



I believe in ghosts or something along those lines. I've had dealings with them. I suppose Aliens exist as well. Man, I'd be pretty selfish to think that it's just us.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#17 Old 12-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 612
"I've known quite a few hardcore/punk underground folk over the years."



Awesome! As a huge fan of punk rock - can you drop some names?

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
Dedalus is offline  
#18 Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 612
*The Road = an amazing book. (And of course the movie is not showing around these parts either. The nerve.)



Okay question:



What is a salsa foot?

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
Dedalus is offline  
#19 Old 12-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post

"I've known quite a few hardcore/punk underground folk over the years."



Awesome! As a huge fan of punk rock - can you drop some names?



I'm a name dropper now, eh?



I've been mostly based around hardcore.

The guys from His Hero is Gone/Tragedy

Kent McClard of Ebullition/No Answers

Indian Summer brothers

Dystopia guys

Ben Econochrist



sorry, no Ian Mackayes, Hank Rollins, Glenn Danzigs or those other superstars.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#20 Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

I'm a name dropper now, eh?



I've been mostly based around hardcore.

The guys from His Hero is Gone/Tragedy

Kent McClard of Ebullition/No Answers

Indian Summer brothers

Dystopia guys

Ben Econochrist



sorry, no Ian Mackayes, Hank Rollins, Glenn Danzigs or those other superstars.



Indian Summer were pretty awesome from what I can recall.

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
Dedalus is offline  
#21 Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Semicharmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,801
Oh, I'm going to wreak havoc here. I'm SO glad you caved and did this!



One. Why are you so short?



Two. If you had to either drink a brimming-full drinking glass of a strange man's sweat, or a shot-glass of his toe jam, which would you choose? (In the spirit of the Would You Rather game, you may not qualify or try to lessen the impact of either choice. You must merely answer. Because I say so.)



Three. (Rules are unimportant to me.) MY question. If you could go back in time and write yourself a ten-word note, how old would your past self be and what would the note say?
Semicharmed is offline  
#22 Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Oh, I'm going to wreak havoc here. I'm SO glad you caved and did this!



One. Why are you so short?



Two. If you had to either drink a brimming-full drinking glass of a strange man's sweat, or a shot-glass of his toe jam, which would you choose? (In the spirit of the Would You Rather game, you may not qualify or try to lessen the impact of either choice. You must merely answer. Because I say so.)



Three. (Rules are unimportant to me.) MY question. If you could go back in time and write yourself a ten-word note, how old would your past self be and what would the note say?





Holy sh*t. You are good at this game.

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
Dedalus is offline  
#23 Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Oh, I'm going to wreak havoc here. I'm SO glad you caved and did this!



One. Why are you so short?https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/n...eply&p=2547692



Two. If you had to either drink a brimming-full drinking glass of a strange man's sweat, or a shot-glass of his toe jam, which would you choose? (In the spirit of the Would You Rather game, you may not qualify or try to lessen the impact of either choice. You must merely answer. Because I say so.)



Three. (Rules are unimportant to me.) MY question. If you could go back in time and write yourself a ten-word note, how old would your past self be and what would the note say?



*backs into corner holding crucifix to stop the Semidemon*



1. 4'9" isn't short. You're just an Amazon, so everyone is short at 6'4".



2. Semi, please. You know my foot thing. Toe jam all the way baby. Maybe even a strange woman's if i'm feeling really risque.



3. I would probably be at 19. I would have written something along the lines of "You have to remember to laugh or you'll lose it".




The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#24 Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Semicharmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,801
Right. Like crucifixes have any effect on me. You humans and your ridiculous myths!



What's the worst nickname you've ever had? Be honest or else I'll start inventing really, REALLY bad nicknames for you.



Speaking of nicknames, if you fought in the UFC, what would yours be?
Semicharmed is offline  
#25 Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
nontoxicglue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 498
Where'd you get your avatar from? Any particular meaning attached to it?

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
nontoxicglue is offline  
#26 Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Two. If you had to either drink a brimming-full drinking glass of a strange man's sweat, or a shot-glass of his toe jam, which would you choose?



That question gives me nightmares!!!!!
GhostUser is offline  
#27 Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Semicharmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

That question gives me nightmares!!!!!



In that case...



Mission Status: Accomplished.



*grins*
Semicharmed is offline  
#28 Old 12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Right. Like crucifixes have any effect on me. You humans and your ridiculous myths!



What's the worst nickname you've ever had? Be honest or else I'll start inventing really, REALLY bad nicknames for you.



Speaking of nicknames, if you fought in the UFC, what would yours be?



Dude, I didn't EVEN go this direction with you.



Worst nickname(s)? Russell the Love Muscle, Russell the One Eyed Muscle, Glazed Donut.



UFC=Choad the love muscle.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#29 Old 12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
unovegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by nontoxicglue View Post

Where'd you get your avatar from? Any particular meaning attached to it?



In the late summertime at my house, we're bombarded with hummingbirds. We often have 15 or more fighting it out for the sweet nectar. I've taken many pics of them and for some reason, this came out more or less black and white. I liked the mix of a little darkness and beauty. i also believe that the hummingbird is my totem animal. A totem animal is an animal that represents you. It's an animal that you come across an unusual amount of times. I've been able to touch them while they feed as well.

The Big Bad.
unovegan is offline  
#30 Old 12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Semicharmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

I've been able to touch them while they feed as well.

I'm not gonna lie... I skimmed your answer here and thought that read "I've been able to touch them with my feet as well."



And it's not MY fault you didn't ask me awesome questions. I put myself out there; I invited debauchery. Everyone decided to behave themselves because you are all BORING.



Explain "glazed donut" as a nickname. Immediately. Sooner, if possible.



Also, do you have any odd driving habits?
Semicharmed is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off