Star of the Week: Semicharmed! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM

"Star of the Week" is your chance to get to know one VBer just a bit better. Each interviewee will be asked a standard 20 questions, and then then their answers are posted here, to start the thread.

Other members are welcome to ask questions, but are asked to limit themselves to 2 questions at a time, in order to allow the interviewee time to respond, and to give everyone a chance to ask something.

This week's star....Semicharmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Gender/Age/Location - Female/26/Cape Cod, MA, USA

- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)? Vegan

- How do you spend your working week? I work funky hours as a residential counselor caring for people with profound mental, medical, and physical disabilities. I just got off a 20-hour shift, as a matter of fact. So if this whole questionnaire reads like an oxygen-deprived turtle wrote it, that's why. (Okay, fine, that's not why at all, but we're going to blame it on that, okay?)

- How long have you been veg*n?
Just over 12 million seconds. Yes, I counted them. Be impressed, be very impressed.

- How did you find VeggieBoards? Telepathy.

- What is the meaning behind your username? Well, I'm partially charmed. And partially charming as well. Also, I want people to think of the opening lines of Semicharmed Life by Third Eye Blind when they think of me. You know, "I'm packed and I'm holding." That way everyone will think I'm a drug-using gun-toting menace, and will steer well clear of me. Unfortunately, it seems most people just think of the "do do do" part. So I guess they think I'm melodic?

- Have you ever met anyone famous? John Travolta and Robert Duvall because they filmed part of A Civil Action at my father's workplace. Tony Bennett because, well, I don't know why. It was Atlantic City, what do you want? One of the co-founders of Reddit is a friend of mine (though he treated my brother as if he were famous after finding out my brother designed and skinned the "gold deagle" in Counterstrike. Or... Something. I'm not fluent in that particular dialect of Nerd.) I also know a lot of authors, but I dunno if people here would know them. Matt Damon, too. He and I used to go to the same Starbucks in The Village when I lived in NYC.

- Do you live with any companion animals? I live with a mini-food chain. A dog, a cat, and a rat.

- Do you live with any companion humans? At the moment, my father and brother. Soon, I'll be moving in with my boyfriend.

- Where is your favorite place that you have visited? I feel tempted to act classy and say somewhere in Europe. And don't get me wrong, my trips to Europe were fabulous. But I REALLY loved going to Taos, New Mexico for Christmas. They have these fantastic pueblo fires on Christmas Eve and, to be endlessly cliche about it, it's pure magic.

- Ninjas or pirates? What for? As drinking buddies = pirates. For sexy times = ninjas. (Unless, of course, we're talking about fake pirates. Then it's Johnny Depp for BOTH situations.)

- What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? What an odd question. That's like asking "What do you enjoy most about not abusing children?" It's just the right thing to do, yanno? It's all good.

- What is your favorite VB post? I have to pick a SINGLE post? But I've posted SO many times, and I'm SO entertaining... Fine, THIS post. This post right here is my favorite. Because it's all about ME, see?

- With whom would you most love to have dinner? Myself, about 15 or 20 years in the future. I think we could learn a lot from each other.

- Do you have any secret talents?
No. I make certain that my talents are very, very public. What the hell good are secret talents? No good, that's what.

- What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off? *shrug* I live with men, it doesn't take much.

- What's your favorite restaurant? My kitchen. The End.

- What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue? There's nothing in the world half a bottle of wine can't fix. NOTHING. And if there is? Then a whole bottle of wine will fix it for sure.

- What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster?
I once left a coffee cake in the oven for something like two hours. My brother was HORRIFIED when I tried to throw it out. He took a big knife, sawed it open, and ate the middle like it was a gift from the heavens. Does that still count as a disaster?

- What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"? Soy chai from Starbucks. It's literally the one thing I mourn, in a really pathetic way and on a consistent basis.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you as funny in real life as you are online?

What's your favorite color crayon?
#3 Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Who is the best James Bond?

I know you're a fan of long hair for, ahem, interesting reasons. If you cut/lost your hair, would you cry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Ankle Biter

Boots or flip-flops?

Mountains or beach?

Big dogs or dinky dogs? (<<<--- )

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 11-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Favorite 3 books, bands, and movies and why.
#6 Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and how is the soy chai not vegan?
#7 Old 11-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Since you can't ask yourself, somebody else is going to have to ask you "your" question. So,

If you could travel back in time and leave yourself a ten-word note, how old would your past-self be and what would the note say?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 11-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Are you as funny in real life as you are online?

I'm told I'm pretty damn funny. Also, in real life, I like to think I'm funnier, because I can curse inventively without being censored.

I'm not as funny as my brother though. He's some sort of comic genius, I swear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

What's your favorite color crayon?

Emo crayons for the goddamn win! ALL of them are my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

Who is the best James Bond?

I think the best one never even happened. I've heard it told that Cary Grant turned the role down. He would have been amazing. I love Cary Grant, in a really creepy way.

Quote:

I know you're a fan of long hair for, ahem, interesting reasons. If you cut/lost your hair, would you cry?

Like it was my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Boots or flip-flops?

Flip flops. They signal warm weather. Audibly.

Quote:

Mountains or beach?

The beach, hands down. I was born and raised on Cape Cod and I get a little claustrophobic too far from open ocean. Anytime I've had to venture too far inland, the first thing I do when I get home is go sit at Lighthouse Beach in Chatham (my hometown) and stare out at the Atlantic. It always feels like I can finally breathe. Like I've been holding my breath the whole time I've been away. *shudder* I hate being land-locked.

Quote:

Big dogs or dinky dogs? (<<<--- )

I worked on a ranch in Tennessee with 22 dogs, so in the case of canines, I can HONESTLY say the size doesn't matter. It's the personality that counts. I've known rat terriers that are cool as hell and a great pyrenees that was cool as hell. I've also known a Welsh corgi that needed a serious attitude adjustment and a great dane that made me want to tear mine (and its) hair out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

(I'll get back to you on this. I'm too tired to fully think this one through, and it deserves thinking-through.)

Quote:

Oh, and how is the soy chai not vegan?

It's a conspiracy, I think. Oh, you mean what's in it? Honey. It's got honey. Those *******s put HONEY in it. I'm truly enraged about this.

If I ever go off the deep end, I want at least one of you guys interviewed on network news, solemnly blaming Starbucks for my homicidal insanity. Deal?
#9 Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Since you can't ask yourself, somebody else is going to have to ask you "your" question. So,

If you could travel back in time and leave yourself a ten-word note, how old would your past-self be and what would the note say?

Aw, thanks! I was waiting for that!

I'm fearful of changing anything much, because I LOVE where I am now. But I think I would be 24 and the note would say:

"Dear Hillary,

Tell him you love him. NOW.

Regards,

Hillary"

I'd have to give it to myself at a VERY particular time that year, or hilarity might ensue. And by "hilarity" I obviously mean "lawsuits and/or incarceration."
#10 Old 11-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Banned

What is the question you are hoping no one asks?
#11 Old 11-27-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:

It's a conspiracy, I think. Oh, you mean what's in it? Honey. It's got honey. Those *******s put HONEY in it. I'm truly enraged about this.

If I ever go off the deep end, I want at least one of you guys interviewed on network news, solemnly blaming Starbucks for my homicidal insanity. Deal?

I just saw this Soy Chai recipe online but it sounds like a lot of work!:

Ingredients:

Water

Cardamom

Clove

Bay Leaf

Black Pepper (Optional)

Soy Milk

For three people/three cups.

1. Add one and a quarter of a cup of WATER in a container. (The extra quarter is added because of evaporation while cooking).

2. In the same container: Add one whole CARDAMOM, a half peace of BAY LEAF, one whole CLOVE (too much clove will make it very spicy), can add BLACK PEPPER (I personally do not like it because it makes tea spicy hot).

3. Boil the mixture for about 3 to 4 minutes so that you get nice spice juice.

4. Add two cups of soy milk in the same container and wait till it boils. Now, you need to watch carefully because boiling mixture it may spill. Gently stir to stop the spill.

5. Once mixture starts boiling, add a spoon of TEA and gently stir.

6. Mixture will change into fine orange (chai tea )color . Do not wait too long after you add the tea because it will taste bitter.

7. You SOY CHAI TEA ready to be served.

8. Add your desired amount of sugar in a cup and pour the tea using a chai tea filter.

Question: Do you believe in anything alternative like ghosts or astrology?
#12 Old 11-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Banned

I'm making you a pizza. What would you like on it?
#13 Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

On an island:

Companion: Your dog, cat or rat?? Why?

Which Dr. Seuss book?

One set of clothes. What would it be?

One disorder to bring. What would it be?

One VB thread to bring. What would it be?

The Big Bad.
#14 Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

What is the question you are hoping no one asks?

Probably something along the lines of, "How long do you want me to take disemboweling you when I kill you, *****?" and have the person be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Question: Do you believe in anything alternative like ghosts or astrology?

Not really. I don't disbelieve either. I recognize the severe limitations of human intelligence, so I'm open to many possibilities. I just haven't seen much to sway me in either direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I'm making you a pizza. What would you like on it?

Pesto, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, green peppers, a bit of garlic, ground pepper, sea salt, and onions. And I like a little corn meal sprinkled on the pan beforehand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

On an island:

1 - Companion: Your dog, cat or rat?? Why?

2 - Which Dr. Seuss book?

3 - One set of clothes. What would it be?

4 - One disorder to bring. What would it be?

5 - One VB thread to bring. What would it be?

Well, technically Cape Cod IS an island. I'm going to assume you mean a deserted island.

1 - My cat. Of COURSE my cat! The most obvious reason - she hunts for herself. It would be hell trying to survive on an island and watch your dog or rat die because she couldn't feed herself and you didn't have means to feed her. Also my cat can escape predators better. She is better about finding her way home, too. Doesn't need a leash or a cage. Won't chase things bigger than she is. Keeps quiet naturally - so if we're trapped in a cage or a tree trying to evade something, she won't bark like an idiot and give us away. Really, a cat is PERFECT for a deserted island - she even buries her own poop, ffs.

2 - The Sneetches and Other Stories. Hands down. I love the story about the empty pants.

3 - Underwear, jeans (with a set of long underwear underneath, because sleeping in jeans sucks), a sports bra, a tank top, a long-sleeve shirt, a hoodie, socks, and sneakers. That's my outfit.

4 - OCD. I imagine that would keep me occupied in times of boredom.

5 - The user pictures thread. I think I'd really miss looking at other people on a deserted island.
#15 Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

A battle royale to the death. Which VB members would give you a run for your money?

Which country is the 11th greatest in the world and why?

Why should California sink into the sea when Cape Cod deserves it so much more?

What is the perfect age in years for you?

The Big Bad.
#16 Old 11-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This is REALLY hard.

Books:

1 - Clementine (Because it's based on me.)

2 - The Mysteries of Harris Burdick (I have a copy signed to me from the author, Chris van Allsburg and I treasure it to an unhealthy degree. As a child and as an adult, the book sends actual shivers down my spine EVERY time I read it.)

3 - Lord of the Rings (Since it was intended to be published as a single volume, and that's how I own it... There you go. One book, not three! LotR = escapist, for me. I read because I could believe in that world more completely than I could any other.)

Bands:

This is TOUGH because I just... I don't do the whole "this BAND is amazing!" thing. Some bands have a solid body of work, for sure. But to me, it seems like picking a band instead of songs is like picking a favorite production company instead of favorite individual movies. Sure, some production companies consistently put out good movies, but I'd rather talk about individual movies than the whole production company, yanno?

Movies:

1 - Home for the Holidays. This movie is sheer genius. And it has Robert Downey Jr.

2 - American Psycho. One of the most quotable movies ever. Christian Bale blew me away in this. I LOVE it.

3 - Arsenic and Old Lace. This broke me of my "Omg, but it's OOOOOLD!" idiocy when I was 12 or 13 years old. Hilarious movie; Cary Grant rocks.
#17 Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

1 - A battle royale to the death. Which VB members would give you a run for your money?

2 - Which country is the 11th greatest in the world and why?

3 - Why should California sink into the sea when Cape Cod deserves it so much more?

4 - What is the perfect age in years for you?

*sigh*

I have faith that one day, you will learn to count, Uno. ONE DAY!

Until then... I'll answer all four of your questions.

1 - Anyone trained in jiu jistu or muay thai, or any form of mixed martial arts.

2 - Colombia. They rank 11th in cocoa bean production. Mmm, chocolate...

3 - Because California is full of sin, and Cape Cod is full of sand.

4 - I definitely haven't hit it yet, whatever it is.
#18 Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I mentioned this in the Honey super thread, but you can get a Soy Chai Misto at Starbucks, and that is vegan. I don't know how it compares to the original version because I never had it. They take a chai tea bag and make the tea and steam a little soymilk for the top. You can ask them to add a couple packets of sweetener before they add the soymilk, or you can just do it yourself after.

The honey is in the chai syrup they use for the original soy chai lattes. When they use a tea bag they don't use the syrup.

My usual questions:

What is your favorite quote?

What is your favorite veg related quote?
#19 Old 11-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Rice milk, hemp milk, oat milk, soy milk, or almond milk?

Also, almond butter or peanut butter or something else?

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#20 Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I could take you down. Piece o cake.

Is it only 3 questions? Maybe i should read the rules.

Which one's better? Cholula or Tapatio?

Speaking of the writer, does Less Than Zero stand a chance against American Psycho?

Sex, drugs or rock and roll?

The Big Bad.
#21 Old 11-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

What is your favorite quote?

Pretty much anything Carl Sagan has ever said. This one is fairly awesome: "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

What is your favorite veg related quote?

"Vegetarianism is harmless enough though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness."

I've hung around here long enough to know just how painfully and obviously true that is. For me too, sadly. (Obviously, I believe it applies to veg*ns in general! I wasn't picking on vegetarians.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nontoxicglue View Post

Rice milk, hemp milk, oat milk, soy milk, or almond milk?

Soy milk. (But I'll confess, I haven't tired the others!)

Quote:

Also, almond butter or peanut butter or something else?

Peanut butter, all the way. I tried almond butter the other day. I was not impressed.

Quote:

Which one's better? Cholula or Tapatio?

I read that as "chocolate or tapioca." And I'm going with chocolate.

Quote:

Speaking of the writer, does Less Than Zero stand a chance against American Psycho?

Neither has Christian Bale. So fail and double fail.

Quote:

Sex, drugs or rock and roll?

Sex. Sex sex sex sex sex. And then more sex.

And seriously, if any of you out there would have picked drugs or rock and roll, then I've got one thing to say about the sex you're having - you're doing it wrong.
#22 Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Sex is aight.

Tap and Cholula are both wonderific hot sauces. They're something special. Like those cold nights when you're snuggling with your baby.

The Big Bad.
#23 Old 11-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sex is aight.

[strike]If it's just aight, then you're doing it wrong. Or possibly alone.[/strike]

No! I refuse to derail my own thread. Someone ask me questions!
#24 Old 11-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

What question do you want most for people to ask you?

What is your favorite hobby?

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#25 Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have your tongue pierced or are you eating a mint in your picture?

Can you name pi to the first 5 decimal places without looking it up, and if so, what is it? (I chose 5 because that's as far as I have it memorized)
#26 Old 11-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

[strike]If it's just aight, then you're doing it wrong. Or possibly alone.[/strike]

No! I refuse to derail my own thread. Someone ask me questions!

Sorry. I was being fascetious(sp).

The Big Bad.
#27 Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What question do you want most for people to ask you?

Man, that's tough. I was happy to see SomebodyElse give me "my" question. It makes me think people actually do read, comprehend, and absorb my posts. I'm not always convinced of that because reading comprehension is a lost art, I swear. (First person I said that about here was myself, btw, after I failed to fully read a post and and went ahead and answered with only partial information. Because I'm a moron.)

Quote:

What is your favorite hobby?

Anything and everything to do with writing. I want to be published one day. I would be, too, if I'd just grow a pair and submit work. It's just a HELL of a lot of nerve for me to work up.

Quote:

Do you have your tongue pierced or are you eating a mint in your picture?

I have it pierced. I got it done the first time years ago. I got a second piercing in my tongue (behind the first one) more recently. However, uh... Technical... Um... Difficulties and such... You know, problems with... Er... Etc. and so forth...

I took it out. Let's just leave it at that. I took the second one out. First one is still in.

Quote:

Can you name pi to the first 5 decimal places without looking it up, and if so, what is it? (I chose 5 because that's as far as I have it memorized)

I can do it to six decimal places, without looking it up. But it's sort of cheating. I just remember the phrase: "How I wish I could calculate pi" and then count the letters in each word and get 3.141592.

Quote:

Sorry. I was being fascetious(sp).

No S, dippy. *beams*
#28 Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

You called me dippy!

You COULD put out a book of your material yourself you know. Might be worth looking into.

What brings tears to your eyes? I'm thinking more happy than sad. But, it's your question.

What's a good day to you?

Standard or automatic and why?

The Big Bad.
#29 Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Who is your favorite scientist? And has he ever appeared on a piece of produce? Note: religious apparitions like oil stains and mother Theresa on toast don't count.
#30 Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

If you were an omniscient deity for a day and could do absolutely anything, what would be your first 6 actions?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page