Star of the Week: rockindancer86! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 11-16-2009, 12:31 PM

"Star of the Week" is your chance to get to know one VBer just a bit better. Each interviewee will be asked a standard 20 questions, and then then their answers are posted here, to start the thread.

Other members are welcome to ask questions, but are asked to limit themselves to 2 questions at a time, in order to allow the interviewee time to respond, and to give everyone a chance to ask something.

This week, we're shining the spotlight on...rockindancer86!

she says....

Quote:

Gender/Age/Location - Female/23/Japan

- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)? Vegan

- How do you spend your working week? I'm an assistant English teacher at a small-town junior high school. Since I'm the only foreigner (besides the girl before me) most of the students (and teachers) have ever met, I'm basically the school pet.

- How long have you been veg*n? almost two years vegetarian, mostly vegan for about a year, actually vegan for about a week.

- How did you find VeggieBoards? Craftster.com, a message board about... making stuff. :P

- What is the meaning behind your username? I've been using it since I learned to use the internet when I was 12 or 13... I'm a dancer and I was born in 1986.

- Have you ever met anyone famous? hmm... a few people from Star Trek the Next Generation (convention ), and I spoke to Dana Carvey on the phone when he stayed at the hotel where I worked. Does that count?

- Do you live with any companion animals? Not at the moment, unfortunately.

- Do you live with any companion humans? Nope.

- Where is your favorite place that you have visited? Either Kyoto or Prague. And Granada, Spain, but I lived there so that might not count.

There's also a Soto Zen Buddhism temple in the mountains here that I love visiting. I'm considering doing a 4-day retreat there, where I'd have to meditate 7 hours a day... uh oh...

- Ninjas or pirates? Pirates, because they're absolutely ridiculous.

- What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? It's really forced me to learn to cook, as well as to learn about nutrition, the food system, politics, the environment, etc. It's also gotten rid of my asthma, except when I'm sick (like now ), IBS, and recurrent bronchitis.

An added bonus is that besides one student who has Crohn's, I'm the only person in the school who doesn't eat school lunch. Since I eat with a different class each day, they're always peeking in to see what I've got. They get excited to see my weird foreign food.

- What is your favorite VB post? Probably the slut thread, because I get to learn things about people I otherwise wouldn't.

- With whom would you most love to have dinner? Probably Dennis Kucinich. Or SevenSeas, but I wouldn't tell him/her/it/them who I actually am, and I'd probably wear a mask.

- Do you have any secret talents? hmm. I can kiss my knees when they're straight...? and I can lick the tip of my nose.

- What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off? pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and risotto.

- What's your favorite restaurant? Harmonie, an Italian place down the street. The owner has them make a special veggies-in-tomato-sauce pasta just for me that's not on the menu, and never tries to put fish flakes on top of it.

- What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue? dance a bit, or read.

- What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster? I tried to make a squash-sweet-potato-apple soup from How it all Vegan, and I added carrot tops and used a different squash. Something about it, even after 2 hours of cooking, was the most bitter thing I've ever tasted. So, trying to salvage it, I poured nearly half a cup of agave nectar into it. (sigh) It was still the most disgusting thing ever, and now I'm almost out of agave nectar, which they don't sell here.

- What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"? Okonomiyaki (egg-cabbage pancake) or Spanish Omelette (egg-potato omelette), without them tasting like tofu.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey You!

What is your most embarrassing moment?

If you could turn back time and redo something what would it be?
#3 Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh that's cool you're a dancer! I used to dance too. What kind of dancing do/did you do?

And what is your favorite veg related quote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlobberChops View Post

Hey You!

What is your most embarrassing moment?

If you could turn back time and redo something what would it be?

1. Most embarrassing moment: Oh, man. The only one I can think of right now is when I was driving a friend home from having lunch together. I was visiting home during my... 1st? 2nd? year of college, and in the car on the way back to his house he went into a 10-minute shpiel trying to tell me he had a major crush on me, but without saying who it was until the very end. I figured it out about 2 minutes in, and tried to tell him I'd gotten it and he didn't need to continue if he didn't want to, but he wasn't listening. When he finished, I told him I'd understood from the beginning and he got very upset about me forcing him to finish... awkward.

I guess that's not terribly embarrassing, but for the next 3 months he kept contacting me on AIM to say how much he loved me and needed me and the world wasn't worth it without me, until I had to block him!

2. Turn back time: probably when I cheated on a test in 6th grade. I mean, I was 11, and it's probably good because now I'd never do it (damn you, guilt!), but I still feel really guilty about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

Oh that's cool you're a dancer! I used to dance too. What kind of dancing do/did you do?

And what is your favorite veg related quote?

1. Dance: I did tap for 14 years (old-fashioned style tap, not rhythm/street/hiphop tap), ballet for 7, hip hop for 5, flamenco for 1, jazz on and off for a few. Tap's definitely my favorite!

2. Veg quote: "I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -Alex Poulos
#5 Old 11-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

If you could learn any language in the world right now with no effort involved, what would it be?
#6 Old 11-17-2009, 03:12 AM
Banned

So where would you take SevenSeas on your date?
#7 Old 11-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Banned

If you had an unlimited budget and all of Hollywood's costume and make-up departments at your disposal what would your ideal Halloween costume be?
#8 Old 11-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

How many fingers am I holding up?

How long was the longest burp you ever had?
#9 Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Where did you grow up, and where did you attend college?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

If you could learn any language in the world right now with no effort involved, what would it be?

My first instinct is to say Japanese because, well, I live here and it'd be useful. And I'm taking a Japanese test next month which I'll probably fail. But I'm going to say Telugu, because I'm going to rural India in Dec. and that's what they speak in the village. It'd be nice to be able to really talk to the people there, since their life is so different from mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhreneth View Post

So where would you take SevenSeas on your date?

A wax museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

If you had an unlimited budget and all of Hollywood's costume and make-up departments at your disposal what would your ideal Halloween costume be?

A Klingon. I was going to say a life-sized Eiffel Tower, but I realized I'd have to be pretty far off the ground... and I'm not okay with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

How many fingers am I holding up?

How long was the longest burp you ever had?

1. 3 fingers and a thumb.

2. Probably about 2/3 of a second. I'm not much of a burper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Where did you grow up, and where did you attend college?

1. San Diego, California

2. University of California, Santa Barbara, and one year at the University of Granada in Spain.
#11 Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

What are some of your favorite musicians/bands? Why?

What are some of your favorite movies? Why?
#12 Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

What are some of your favorite musicians/bands? Why?

What are some of your favorite movies? Why?

1. Musicians/bands: I really like Regina Spektor, Sia, the Beatles, Ojos de Brujo, Green Day, Cat Stevens, Garth Brooks, the Mamas and the Papas and Pomplamoose. I grew up listening to country and oldies because that's what my parents listened to, so I have a soft spot for those. I also tend to listen to a lot of what's usually considered folk or alternative, and I really like fusion music - Ojos de Brujo is a Spanish group that does flamenco fusion, for example. Sometimes it's mixed with hip hop, sometimes rock, but it's always flamenco-y.

I'd say Regina Spektor's my favorite overall, though. She's... weird. That's what I like. Cheesy as it might sound, even her weirdest lyrics totally make sense to me and her songs can really affect my mood.

But I listen to just about everything (that I can think of) besides hardcore techno, gangster rap, and Japanese traditional music.

2. Movies: my current favorites are Food Inc, Star Trek XI, Supersize Me, Doubt, the Hours, Mamma Mia (I know, I know, haha), and Heartburn. I like Food Inc. and Supersize me because the food aspect is interesting, Star Trek XI because I'm a trekkie born and bred, and the others because... I kind of have a crush on Meryl Streep. I also like musicals, but besides Mamma Mia none are particularly my favorites.
#13 Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Will a peeled grape explode in the microwave?

I have issues finding my way out of parking lots. How do you feel about that?
#14 Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Will a peeled grape explode in the microwave?

I have issues finding my way out of parking lots. How do you feel about that?

1. I would say no. And unfortunately grapes are very expensive here, otherwise I'd check tonight. I think it would actually wither up a bit, and start leaking.

2. I think that's quite unfortunate. I share your troubles.
#15 Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

You said you like to read. What's your favorite book? Who is your favorite author? What book would you recommend to everybody?

/Librarian Mode

I'll think of non-dorky questions later. Still slightly in work mode.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#16 Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 AM
Banned

If you had to perform in a famous broadway musical which would you choose and what character would you be?
#17 Old 11-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

What's the world distance record for pumpkin chunking using a trebuchet?

The distance around a rectangular garden is 36 feet.

One side measures 10 feet.

What is the area of the garden?
#18 Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't read the thread yet because there's too much to read and I'm tired, so I apologise if you've already had these questions:

Are there any other countries you'd like to live in?

Have you been on the Shinkansen? I'm a trainspotter
#19 Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

You said you like to read. What's your favorite book? Who is your favorite author? What book would you recommend to everybody?

/Librarian Mode

I'll think of non-dorky questions later. Still slightly in work mode.

Nothing dorky about book questions! I don't have one specific favorite book, though. I really like Isabel Allende's writing. I also... uh... like Star Trek books... right now I'm reading a lot of non-fiction about food, the environment, etc. One book I really love is called "The mole who wanted to know qho did that on his head." It's a Spanish children's book (I think it's originally German, actually) all about animal poop. The Lemony Snicket books are also a favorite!

I'd recommend everybody read "Eva Luna" by Isabel Allende, and "Portrait of a burger as a young calf" by Peter Lovenheim. It's not necessarily pro-veg*nism, it's just a really in-depth, personal look at the food industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

If you had to perform in a famous broadway musical which would you choose and what character would you be?

Either Rizzo from Grease or Velma from Chicago. But probably Rizzo.

Quote:

What's the world distance record for pumpkin chunking using a trebuchet?

The distance around a rectangular garden is 36 feet.

One side measures 10 feet.

What is the area of the garden?

1. I believe it is 2034.21 feet.

2. 80 square feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post

I haven't read the thread yet because there's too much to read and I'm tired, so I apologise if you've already had these questions:

Are there any other countries you'd like to live in?

Have you been on the Shinkansen? I'm a trainspotter

1. I'd like to live in Russia once I leave Japan, and maybe Taiwan. I'd also like to return to Spain for a year or two (lived there in college), and I might settle outside of the US eventually - considering the UK, Canada... really pretty open at this point actually, those are just the easiest two to think about!

2. I've taken the Shinkansen once, when I went to visit a friend outside of Tokyo. But I have to take a regular train to Osaka or Kyoto to even get the Shinkansen, because we don't have it here.
#20 Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

What has been your favourite discovery in Japan?

What do you miss most about home?
#21 Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Ankle Biter

Boots or flip-flops?

Peanut butter or chocolate?

Big dogs or dinky dogs (<<<---)?

Mountains or beach?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#22 Old 11-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Claire Bear! Woohoo another California girl!

Have you ever surfed? And you DO listen to surf music, right? It's pretty much required for a California girl.

Do you miss California? Do you miss the US? When are you coming back to visit?

Have you ever seen any wildlife up close and personal?

Do you wear jewelry? If so, what kind of jewelry do you like best?

*this space not for sale*
#23 Old 11-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

I believe it is 2034.21 feet

Impressed!
#24 Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

What has been your favourite discovery in Japan?

What do you miss most about home?

1. I always thought of Japanese people as incredibly reserved, shy, kind of cold people. And they are definitely reserved, but once they open up - good grief. They're nuts! Part of it is that since they see foreigners as outside the system, they don't worry about being their true selves. And since they are generally socially repressed what comes out in their personalities is a bit magnified. But they're amazingly helpful, warm people for the most part. My school has completely adopted me. My students treat me as their pet. It's really awesome.

2. On the same note, despite all that I miss the lack of social repression in the US. I mean, it exists, but not like here. It's okay to be weird in the west. It's okay to do things your own way for the most part. But here, especially when in groups, there is no variation. It's simply not tolerated. And it's very frustrating! I want to grab my students by the shoulders when they're in a group and say, "for the love of god, be yourself! Have a personality! You are NOT a robot!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Boots or flip-flops?

Peanut butter or chocolate?

Big dogs or dinky dogs (<<<---)?

Mountains or beach?

1. Boots (traitorous for a California girl! )

2. Can I do peanut butter AND chocolate? Well.......... chocolate.

3. At the risk of upsetting feelings... I'm going to say big dogs, mostly because in California I have one. I love small dogs, and they're great for laps, but big dogs are good for hugging, using as pillows, wrestling with, leaning on, etc. And my dog thinks he's a lap dog, so besides the squishing involved I get the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Claire Bear! Woohoo another California girl!

Have you ever surfed? And you DO listen to surf music, right? It's pretty much required for a California girl.

Do you miss California? Do you miss the US? When are you coming back to visit?

Have you ever seen any wildlife up close and personal?

Do you wear jewelry? If so, what kind of jewelry do you like best?

1. I've surfed once. I'd love to do it again. And what do you consider surf music? Like, the Beach Boys? Or do you mean something more current? I definitely listen to the Beach Boys.

2. I do miss California (especially San Diego weather!), and I miss some things about the US. I'll probably come back for winter 2010 to visit, but it's not 100% sure yet.

3. I've been up close and personal with lots of squirrels, a couple deer, and a bear. Oh, and a buffalo when I was in Yellowstone. He decided to walk alongside our car.

4. I can't wear jewelry at work because the students aren't allowed to, so I don't wear it often. I do keep my 2nd and 3rd earrings in (just small studs) because even though it's been 2.5 years they still start to close quickly. My supervisor said I could wear earrings because I'm foreign, and therefore exempt from the rules. But I just wear those because I'd feel weird with more. I really like crazy earrings, though, particularly food earrings. I've got donut earrings, fried eggs (obviously pre-vegan), and various vegetables. I love them! I wish I could wear them to school, my kids would love it.

Sometimes I wear rings or necklaces. Not often, though, mostly because I'm lazy. And when I write, I hold my pencil funny (between my index and 3rd finger) so I can't wear rings on my right middle finger because they hit the pencil, but that's where I like to wear them! So I only wear them when I don't think I'll need to write anything. Not much of a bracelet fan.

Is that enough jewelry info? That was like a book.
#25 Old 11-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Is it easy being a vegan in Japan?
#26 Old 11-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dude View Post

Is it easy being a vegan in Japan?

No, it's not. Fish is in everything. In restaurants, everything is cooked in fish broth, and if you ask to cook it in water, they think you're from mars - then they say, "uhhh, no, we don't do that here." And if you ask for something simple like rice, they flip out. "Are you sure you don't want fish flakes on it? It'll taste so terrible!" Or, with noodles without fish sauce, same thing. I mean, I love it with just soy sauce, but they're convinced it will be terrible and don't want to do it...

I basically cook everything myself. There are no mock products at all (except for soymilk, which is flavored with real milk, and soy yogurt made with gelatin), so I make everything from scratch, unless my family sends me something or I order food from a foreign company (I try to limit that, though, because it's expensive).

It's definitely taught me to cook a lot!
#27 Old 11-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt?

Coffee or tea?

Sail boat or power boat?
#28 Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt?

Coffee or tea?

Sail boat or power boat?

1. Ohhh how you make my heart sad. Umm, Brad Pitt.

2. Tea.

3. I like sailboats, but I'm a puker, honestly.
#29 Old 11-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm asking "my" question for these threads!

If you could travel back in time and leave yourself a ten-word note, how old would your past-self be and what would the note say?
#30 Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you an English Major?

How did you get the job in Japan?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page