Gender/Age/Location - Female/23/Japan
- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)? Vegan
- How do you spend your working week? I'm an assistant English teacher at a small-town junior high school. Since I'm the only foreigner (besides the girl before me) most of the students (and teachers) have ever met, I'm basically the school pet.
- How long have you been veg*n? almost two years vegetarian, mostly vegan for about a year, actually vegan for about a week.
- How did you find VeggieBoards? Craftster.com, a message board about... making stuff. :P
- What is the meaning behind your username? I've been using it since I learned to use the internet when I was 12 or 13... I'm a dancer and I was born in 1986.
- Have you ever met anyone famous? hmm... a few people from Star Trek the Next Generation (convention
), and I spoke to Dana Carvey on the phone when he stayed at the hotel where I worked. Does that count?
- Do you live with any companion animals? Not at the moment, unfortunately.
- Do you live with any companion humans? Nope.
- Where is your favorite place that you have visited? Either Kyoto or Prague. And Granada, Spain, but I lived there so that might not count.
There's also a Soto Zen Buddhism temple in the mountains here that I love visiting. I'm considering doing a 4-day retreat there, where I'd have to meditate 7 hours a day... uh oh...
- Ninjas or pirates? Pirates, because they're absolutely ridiculous.
- What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? It's really forced me to learn to cook, as well as to learn about nutrition, the food system, politics, the environment, etc. It's also gotten rid of my asthma, except when I'm sick (like now
), IBS, and recurrent bronchitis.
An added bonus is that besides one student who has Crohn's, I'm the only person in the school who doesn't eat school lunch. Since I eat with a different class each day, they're always peeking in to see what I've got. They get excited to see my weird foreign food.
- What is your favorite VB
post? Probably the slut thread, because I get to learn things about people I otherwise wouldn't.
- With whom would you most love to have dinner? Probably Dennis Kucinich. Or SevenSeas, but I wouldn't tell him/her/it/them who I actually am, and I'd probably wear a mask.
- Do you have any secret talents? hmm. I can kiss my knees when they're straight...? and I can lick the tip of my nose.
- What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off? pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and risotto.
- What's your favorite restaurant? Harmonie, an Italian place down the street. The owner has them make a special veggies-in-tomato-sauce pasta just for me that's not on the menu, and never tries to put fish flakes on top of it.
- What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue? dance a bit, or read.
- What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster? I tried to make a squash-sweet-potato-apple soup from How it all Vegan, and I added carrot tops and used a different squash. Something about it, even after 2 hours of cooking, was the most bitter thing I've ever tasted. So, trying to salvage it, I poured nearly half a cup of agave nectar into it. (sigh) It was still the most disgusting thing ever, and now I'm almost out of agave nectar, which they don't sell here.
- What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"? Okonomiyaki (egg-cabbage pancake) or Spanish Omelette (egg-potato omelette), without them tasting like tofu.