Star of the Week: rockindancer86! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 11-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I'm asking "my" question for these threads!

If you could travel back in time and leave yourself a ten-word note, how old would your past-self be and what would the note say?

Oh, man. I'd go back to when I was 19. The note would be: "Tell Colin you know he cheated, and ask Jeff out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

Are you an English Major?

How did you get the job in Japan?

1. I was a Creative Studies/Literature major, and Spanish and Russian minor.

2. I applied through the JET Program. You can request to be sent to certain areas, but there's absolutely no guarantee. I was sent to a completely different place than I requested, and I'm quite happy about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

What part of your life would you like to be able to re-experience any time you chose?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#33 Old 11-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

What part of your life would you like to be able to re-experience any time you chose?

My year in Spain. I really miss it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

My year in Spain. I really miss it!

I'm so jealous. Would love to have done that back in my college years.

If you could sum up your life in one word right now, what would it be?
#35 Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Claire!! Okay, I'm FINALLY back on VB. FOR REAL this time and now that I am I will be a regular in this thread. I'm the one that petitioned to get this started back up again and then I dropped off the face of this website. Anyhoo, on with my question:

I know you've lived in Spain and are currently in Japan. What got you started living overseas? Where do you plan to go next? What do you love the MOST about living in a foreign country and what do you love the LEAST about it?
#36 Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

I'm so jealous. Would love to have done that back in my college years.

If you could sum up your life in one word right now, what would it be?

awkward.

But I don't necessarily mean it in a bad way... is that possible? haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Hey Claire!! Okay, I'm FINALLY back on VB. FOR REAL this time and now that I am I will be a regular in this thread. I'm the one that petitioned to get this started back up again and then I dropped off the face of this website. Anyhoo, on with my question:

I know you've lived in Spain and are currently in Japan. What got you started living overseas? Where do you plan to go next? What do you love the MOST about living in a foreign country and what do you love the LEAST about it?

1. My last year of high school I was signed up to take college level Spanish, and I requested to use my free period to take beginning French. The school counsellors told me it's impossible to study two languages at once, and if I did it I'd fail out of high school and work at McDonald's forever so they wouldn't allow it. I wasn't happy! So in college, I decided to start a second language, and wanted it to be a little difficult, so I went with Russian. Studying Russian suddenly made me realize how much I love languages. I knew I wanted to study abroad, but I didn't feel comfortable speaking Russian yet (and figured Spanish was more useful) so I went with Spain. It was an amazing year, and I knew I had to do it again.

Also, I was going to apply for the Peace Corps, but in college I had recurrent bronchitis and sinus infections, so they told me I'd probably not be accepted. A friend said, "hey, I think I'll go to Japan, you should come, too." So, I said, "eh, what the heck, why not?" Glad I did!

2. I'm in my second year here, and planning a 3rd, quite possibly 4th and 5th. After that, I can't continue in this program anymore (and probably will be ready to move on), so I'm thinking I'd like to go to Russia for a year or two. I'm also considering Taiwan, but mostly because I fell in love with Taipei and it's plethora of vegan buffets! I'd also like to return to Spain eventually. I'm willing to consider most anywhere, though. I'm also considering becoming a permanent ex-pat eventually. Not sure I want to return to the US.

3. I most love getting such a first-hand look at another way of life. It's so different living somewhere than just visiting. I really feel like I live in this town, even though I look so different, speak a different language, eat different food, get stared at... I also love the perspective it gives me on the US. I've learned a lot of things about how American I am and the good and bad things about the US that I just hadn't considered until I'd seen them from another culture's perspective.

I also love how much I've learned about what it feels like to be different, and to be an immigrant. It's quite humbling.

On that same not, I least like my constant foreignness. Both in Spain and in Japan I like being foreign most of the time. It makes me different, and as a typical American I enjoy that. But every now and then, I just want to blend in.

In Spain, it wasn't so much of an issue - I spoke reasonably good Spanish when I got there, I didn't look that different, etc. But in Japan, I got here and was completely unable to communicate, was completely illiterate, look totally different, etc. You can never escape it. Even at school, where I have these amazing colleagues and students, sometimes I just can't quite fully explain something because of the language barrier, and it's really frustrating, particularly if it's something important to me.

Does that make sense? I have great opportunities being foreign. I don't have to fit the rigid societal pressures the Japanese face. I can be weird. I can open up people to the world outside Japan they may have never encountered before, besides in movies and such. I am a curiosity to everyone. But... I am a curiosity to everyone. I have very little privacy because of it, and no matter how good I get at Japanese or how well I master the customs, that will never go away.
#37 Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

that was a freaking book! haha, sorry!
#38 Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

No, please don't apologize. That's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for!! I've always been a sort of wanderer myself and while I haven't lived outside of the U.S. I have lived in many different parts of the U.S. and it's amazing how different the people and the cultures are right here within our country. I LOVE experiencing different places and people and had I not met Jack I'm sure I'd still be skippin' around every couple of years to try out something/somewhere new. Now that I've decided to settle down and start a family here I'll have to live that part of my life vicariously thorugh you!!

What are three of the little things in life that make you smile?

Would you like to get married?

Do you want kids? If so, Biological or adopted?

What's the weather like in Japan?
#39 Old 11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

No, please don't apologize. That's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for!! I've always been a sort of wanderer myself and while I haven't lived outside of the U.S. I have lived in many different parts of the U.S. and it's amazing how different the people and the cultures are right here within our country. I LOVE experiencing different places and people and had I not met Jack I'm sure I'd still be skippin' around every couple of years to try out something/somewhere new. Now that I've decided to settle down and start a family here I'll have to live that part of my life vicariously thorugh you!!

What are three of the little things in life that make you smile?

Would you like to get married?

Do you want kids? If so, Biological or adopted?

What's the weather like in Japan?

I'm so excited for you, getting married and all... a little jealous, but I'll get there eventually.

1. Three things: 1) when my students actually ask me questions, regardless of which language they're in. 2) actually explaining myself in Japanese the first time. 3) dancing around my apartment.

2. Yes, eventually.

3. Yes, and both. Biological depends on the planetary situation when I get to that point, though, whether I do a mix, or all adopted.

4. In my area, it's incredibly hot and humid in the summers, and dry and hovering at freezing in the winters. It's wet all year (despite being somehow dry in the winter... ), and we get a reasonable amount of snow between late Dec. and late Feb. There's very little spring or fall, usually.
#40 Old 11-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Aside from the chocolate pumpkin muffins you made from the Vegan Cupcake book, what other ones have you made and love? My fave is the chocolate pumpkin one as well.

Also if you had to have one song stuck in your head for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?
#41 Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow I can't believe you minored in Russian! I've studied a year and a half of Russian, and WOW was it ever hard! I speak fairly good French and quite a passable Thai, and I've studied Arabic, Spanish and German - but NOTHING was nearly as hard as Russian! All I remember of Russian was that kids' poem: "почему севодня Петя просипалса десят раз?" I really admire you!!

Anyway, to the questions:

What is your worst fear?

What is your biggest pet peeve?

What was your first toy?

I'll be back with more.
#42 Old 11-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

Aside from the chocolate pumpkin muffins you made from the Vegan Cupcake book, what other ones have you made and love? My fave is the chocolate pumpkin one as well.

Also if you had to have one song stuck in your head for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?

1. Oh man, I love those chocolate pumpkin ones! Other than that... I really like the mint chocolate and the pineapple.

2. Good lord. I had "Leader of the Pack" in my head for 3 months in 6th grade, nearly killed myself. I think I'll have to go with "Let it be."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

Wow I can't believe you minored in Russian! I've studied a year and a half of Russian, and WOW was it ever hard! I speak fairly good French and quite a passable Thai, and I've studied Arabic, Spanish and German - but NOTHING was nearly as hard as Russian! All I remember of Russian was that kids' poem: "почему севодня Петя просипалса десят раз?" I really admire you!!

Anyway, to the questions:

What is your worst fear?

What is your biggest pet peeve?

What was your first toy?

I'll be back with more.

I thought Russian was hard... and then I moved to Japan.

1. disappointing people close to me.

2. "at" at the end of a sentence.

3. Bobby. He was a little stuffed white penguin in a red and white checkered cloth basket (like, purely cloth, not really a basket). When I was about two I pulled the ribbons off the handles to hold while I sucked my thumb. Some kids had blankets, I had ribbons. I still have Bobby somewhere at home.
#43 Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Whats your favorite food and book. If you have one.
#44 Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

Whats your favorite food and book. If you have one.

Got that question earlier (just the book part) and I'm FAR too lazy to retype it! So here's what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

Nothing dorky about book questions! I don't have one specific favorite book, though. I really like Isabel Allende's writing. I also... uh... like Star Trek books... right now I'm reading a lot of non-fiction about food, the environment, etc. One book I really love is called "The mole who wanted to know qho did that on his head." It's a Spanish children's book (I think it's originally German, actually) all about animal poop. The Lemony Snicket books are also a favorite!

I suppose some other particular favorites are Eva Luna, Portrait of a Burger as a Young Calf, Pride and Prejudice... that's all I can think of.

As for food: sesame tofu! Oh my GOD. It's like tofu, but it's made out of sesame paste, and it's thick and creamy and delicious. Also, leeks, pumpkin, garbanzo beans, quinoa, chocolate (duh), nectarines. And I'm a sucker for tomato soup.
#45 Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks rockindancer!

Check out the new thread here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ek-Semicharmed

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page