VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Meet Outstanding Members (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/119-meet-outstanding-members/)
-   -   VB Star of the Week: sunshinegal! (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/119-meet-outstanding-members/105693-vbulletin-star-week-sunshinegal.html)

IamJen 11-05-2009 01:27 PM

"Star of the Week" is your chance to get to know one VBer just a bit better. Each interviewee will be asked a standard 20 questions, and then then their answers are posted here, to start the thread.

Other members are welcome to ask questions, but are asked to limit themselves to 2 questions at a time, in order to allow the interviewee time to respond, and to give everyone a chance to ask something.

This week, we're shining the spotlight on...sunshinegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

awesome thanks! Here are my answers:

Gender/Age/Location - Female/30/FL, US

- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)? I am a vegetarian working towards being vegan. I would say I eat about 90-95% vegan.

- How do you spend your working week? I spend it working pretty hard. I run a department of over 50 people so I can barely remember my own name by the time Friday ends.

- How long have you been veg*n? 10 years as a vegetarian, with bouts of veganism in there as well.

- How did you find VeggieBoards? I think a Google search brought me here. I have been addicted every since.

- What is the meaning behind your username? Well I live in FL (the sunshine state) and I am a girl. Put those together and you get sunshinegal

- Have you ever met anyone famous? I have met most members of an older Red Wings team. I think that is about it. Made me very happy, I am a die hard Red Wings fan!

Oh and I have literally ran into Hulk Hogan in a store by where I live. It was rather creepy since he was wearing man tights and I ran right into those. LOL

- Do you live with any companion animals? Yuppers, 2 cats. Gizmo is 2 years old and Panza is 10, soon to be 11. They are both my babies.

- Do you live with any companion humans? I live with my husband, we were just married in September so we are newlyweds, and his daughter is with us part time.

- Where is your favorite place that you have visited? My favorite place is the cabin that my dad owns in the northern parts of Michigan. It is so peaceful.

I have some family in AZ and that was a fun place to go and see, but not a place I would want to live.

My favorite place is where I live in Florida though. It always feels like I am on vacation here with the sun, the warmth and the palm trees.

- Ninjas or pirates? Definitely Ninjas. They are stealthy and will sneak up on you before you know it! My cats think they are Ninjas for sure.

- What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? I have enjoyed trying all new foods and expanding my food horizon. I used to be stuck in this rut of cheese, cheese and more cheese. It was horrible. Now I get to try all sorts of delicious foods, I feel better and healthier as well. I also feel peace with what I eat. Now I just wish more people would do this so animals could suffer less.

- What is your favorite VB post? The weight loss challenge threads, EDM thread, vegan threads and the introduction threads. It is nice getting to meet all of the new people.

- With whom would you most love to have dinner? I would love to have dinner with my Great Grandma who passed away. I would love to hear about her childhood, how my grandma and my mom and aunts were as kids. It would be lovely to hear about the olden days and how the world was then.

I also would love to have dinner with Leonardo DiCaprio (small teenage crush that never went away) and Jim Carey so I could laugh my butt off. I am sure he could entertain me!

- Do you have any secret talents? I call myself the cat whisperer. I have this weird knack of making paranoid cats feel more at ease and eventually they become more relaxed level headed cats the more time that I spend and work with them. I make them calm and submissive! haha

- What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off? Wow, I stink at cooking. But I think the recipe my family likes most is this stuffing that I make for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They also like any vegan baked goods I make.

- What's your favorite restaurant? Cheesecake Factory. I dont really care about the cheesecake but they have tons of veg*n options and their food is delicious!

- What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue? I talk to my hubby, I will do some form of exercise (yoga, weights, cardio) as it always makes me feel better. I also like some retail therapy at times. It will give me a little pick me up that I need!

- What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster? Oh I remember a specific incident that was just nasty. I was making lasagna, and for some reason I forgot to chop or cook the garlic before throwing it into the lasagna and oven. So when we went to go eat the lasagna there were like whole garlic clove surprises in the lasagna that werent cooked. Oh man, was that lasagna spicy! lol

- What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"? Pizza with realistic cheese alternative. I have yet to find an alternative that I like. And cheese is my downfall. I also would love to veganize this sweet butter cream Ben & Jerrys ice cream, oh how delicious it is!

AddieB 11-05-2009 01:32 PM

What's your favorite food to snack on?

What planet would you like to visit if it was possible?

sunshinegal 11-05-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

What's your favorite food to snack on?

What planet would you like to visit if it was possible?

I love to snack on sun chips. They are so tasty and mostly healthy for you.

hmmmmm, I think I would like to visit Mars and see what it is like there.

Angelik 11-05-2009 06:48 PM

What are some of the best concerts you've seen?

What moment (or moments, it can be more than one) would you like to relive over again if you could?

amaroque 11-05-2009 06:53 PM

Can you carve a bar of soap into a fish and post it on VB?

What's the scariest letter of the alphabet?

sunshinegal 11-05-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelik View Post

What are some of the best concerts you've seen?

What moment (or moments, it can be more than one) would you like to relive over again if you could?

oh wow, I would have to say Alter Bridge was excellent, Nickleback was awesome and Boys II Men when I was a teen (boy were they great live!). There have been others but I am kinda ashamed to admit to going to them now.

1. I would love to go back to my teen years and relive some of the moments my sis and I had growing up. We were very close and now that we are older we have grown a little bit apart. I miss the closeness we used to have.

2. I would love to relive the time I picked my cat Tigger out from the shelter and brought him home. He was an amazing cat and he passed away last year from cancer. I miss him so much!

3. I would love to relive the time my husband and I went to the beach and admitted to each other that we loved each other for the first time. It was amazing!

I am sure there are more, that is all I can think of for now.

GingerFoxx 11-05-2009 06:59 PM

Have you ever done something really crafty with really basic materials in a pinch, something MacGyver would be proud of? If so, what was it?

You open your front door and find you have been gifted with a basket of winter squash. What do you make with it?

sunshinegal 11-05-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

Can you carve a bar of soap into a fish and post it on VB?

What's the scariest letter of the alphabet?

hmmmmmmmmm, if I had a bar of soap I would try! I am sure it would come out looking nothing like a fish though. If I get a bar of soap I will try for you.

Actually Q. It is the worst letter to get rid of in scrabble, and once you are stuck with it and without the letter U, you are pretty much screwed. I can't tell you how many times that letter Q has been deducted from my total points at the end of the game.

sunshinegal 11-05-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

Have you ever done something really crafty with really basic materials in a pinch, something MacGyver would be proud of? If so, what was it?

You open your front door and find you have been gifted with a basket of winter squash. What do you make with it?

haha wow, I am going to have to think about this one. Would unwinding a hanger to open my car door when I locked my keys inside count? Or using the end of a broom to get things out from between the fridge and counter space count? That is all I can think of right now.

Ohhh, I love baking acorn squash with a bit of vegan butter and cinnamon in the over and eating it like that (of course cutting it in half and emptying the insides). I like to make spaghetti squash with some vegan butter and garlic and eat it almost like spaghetti. Now I am hungry from squash!

desert-dweller 11-05-2009 07:28 PM

Same questions I always ask...

If you could have any one super power what would it be?

What is your favorite color?

I find it funny you didn't like AZ except to visit (there are parts that are not great but some areas are gorgeous). I remember spending 2 weeks in FL and felt the same; Sanibel was pretty but the beach was too buggy! I had welts all over my legs from being on the beach.. It seemed like every place I went it looked the same to me (Tampa, Ft. Myers, Naples, Daytona, Orlando, etc).

sunshinegal 11-05-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Same questions I always ask...

If you could have any one super power what would it be?

What is your favorite color?

I find it funny you didn't like AZ except to visit (there are parts that are not great but some areas are gorgeous). I remember spending 2 weeks in FL and felt the same; Sanibel was pretty but the beach was too buggy! I had welts all over my legs from being on the beach.. It seemed like every place I went it looked the same to me (Tampa, Ft. Myers, Naples, Daytona, Orlando, etc).

I would love to have super human strength! Then I could finally open those spaghetti jars that elude my weak arms right now.

this is tough, I have so many colors that I like. I would say Blue, then Purple then Pink.

I think AZ was just so different then anything I experienced before and I was so unprepared for it. And I burnt to a crisp walking in a canyon within 5 minutes with SPF 60 on, and I don't have that problem in FL. So I was just totally out of my element! But yes, all of FL looks the same. Like a nice vacation spot that I love to live in!

desert-dweller 11-05-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

I think AZ was just so different then anything I experienced before and I was so unprepared for it. And I burnt to a crisp walking in a canyon within 5 minutes with SPF 60 on, and I don't have that problem in FL. So I was just totally out of my element! But yes, all of FL looks the same. Like a nice vacation spot that I love to live in!

The sun is intense here (higher elevation than FL), I am lucky to tan easily but I still wear sunscreen. It is definitely different and it took some getting used to but I could never move back east now. I feel so claustrophobic every time I go back to MA to visit family...

More questions...

Favorite flower?

Favorite herb and/or spice?

sunshinegal 11-06-2009 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

The sun is intense here (higher elevation than FL), I am lucky to tan easily but I still wear sunscreen. It is definitely different and it took some getting used to but I could never move back east now. I feel so claustrophobic every time I go back to MA to visit family...

More questions...

Favorite flower?

Favorite herb and/or spice?

I hear you, I don't want to ever move back to MI!

Daisies, I had them in my wedding bouquets in all different colors.

I like Oregano and Rosemary. I find I can't go wrong with these two spices.

MrFalafel 11-06-2009 04:56 AM

If a a veggie-curious co-worker asked you for a simple vegetarian recipe or meal idea for them to try out what would you tell them?

AddieB 11-06-2009 06:41 AM

Do you have a favorite book or author?

Do you prefer coffee or tea?

sunshinegal 11-06-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

If a a veggie-curious co-worker asked you for a simple vegetarian recipe or meal idea for them to try out what would you tell them?

I always recommend these to people that ask:

Tacos but sub with either boca crumbles or morning star farm crumbles. I also recommend spaghetti with the same crumbles. Other easy meals I recommend are veggie soups (just use what you have in the freezer and make a potluck soup), and rice and beans. i try to keep the recipes simple so they actually try it out. If I get to complicated it usually turns them off of trying veggie foods.

sunshinegal 11-06-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Do you have a favorite book or author?

Do you prefer coffee or tea?

Dean Koontz is a fave author of mine although lately his books have been changing from scary to something different. I can't really explain it, I guess more about the paranormal and examining life. I wonder if he is going through a self reflection stage in his life?

Tea, I am always drinking different teas, mostly decaffeinated. But I do enjoy a Starbucks every once in awhile.

dormouse 11-06-2009 08:33 AM

What are some of your favorite bands/musicians? Why (if you could explain it)?

What are some of your favorite movies? Why?

sunshinegal 11-06-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

What are some of your favorite bands/musicians? Why (if you could explain it)?

What are some of your favorite movies? Why?

I like all kinds of music. Some of my faves are Breaking Benjamin, Nickleback and AlterBridge. I love their music but when I went to see each one live I loved them even more because they have real talent and aren't just musicians that sound good because of studio magic. I also dig some pop, people like Lady Gaga who also has real musical talent and also makes me want to dance everytime I hear them. There are lots of others but I will spare you all.

I am a big fan of comedies. So some of my fave comedies are: Ace Ventura when Nature Calls and Wedding Crashers. I also love the new Willy Wonka movie with Johnny Depp, I love Titanic and Dances with Wolves. I guess I love touching stories and comedies mostly. Mindless humor I am a big fan of.

FitChick99 11-06-2009 10:35 AM

My usual questions:

What is your favorite quote?

What is your favorite veg related quote?

Abbey 11-06-2009 05:37 PM

If you could instantly change your profession to anything of your choice, what would you choose to be?

What is your favourite board game?

When was the last time you cried, and (if it's not too personal) why?

Kenickie 11-06-2009 05:49 PM

just saying you are a cutie!

sunshinegal 11-06-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

My usual questions:

What is your favorite quote?

What is your favorite veg related quote?

My favorite quote is in my signature:

Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you ~Emerson

I don't know if I have a veg related quote. I will have to go find one!

sunshinegal 11-06-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

If you could instantly change your profession to anything of your choice, what would you choose to be?

What is your favourite board game?

When was the last time you cried, and (if it's not too personal) why?

I would choose to be either a vet, own my own shelter for animals or rescue animals from bad situations. It would be something animal related for sure.

Trouble, it is so much fun!

I actually cried on Wednesday from joy. My husband received a job offer after being laid off for 7 months and I was just so happy and relieved that I balled my eyes out for about 10 minutes straight. he starts on Monday and is so excited!

sunshinegal 11-06-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

just saying you are a cutie!

thanks!

Abbey 11-06-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

I actually cried on Wednesday from joy. My husband received a job offer after being laid off for 7 months and I was just so happy and relieved that I balled my eyes out for about 10 minutes straight. he starts on Monday and is so excited!

That is so awesome! Congrats to your hubby!!

Some other questions off the top of my head:

Who was the best Darren from Bewitched?

Are there any movies, TV shows or music that you're embarrassed to admit that you watch/listen to? (and if so, which ones!! )

How long does it take you to get ready to go out in the morning?

sunshinegal 11-06-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

That is so awesome! Congrats to your hubby!!

Some other questions off the top of my head:

Who was the best Darren from Bewitched?

Are there any movies, TV shows or music that you're embarrassed to admit that you watch/listen to? (and if so, which ones!! )

How long does it take you to get ready to go out in the morning?

Thanks! He is back to his old self and I am just so happy for him.

Dick York for sure

haha I loved backstreet boys back in the day and I still jam out to them now! Oh and I watch The Hills and The City which are total teen shows but I dig 'em. I can't think of any movies that are embarrassing to admit watching.

Well I get up at 7 a.m. and putz around the house a bit (don't need to be to work until 9 a.m.), do some cleaning or watching tv and/or then I start getting ready. I would say to eat, wash up, put on my makeup and get dressed would be 45 minutes.

Treehugger267 11-06-2009 08:15 PM

What's your favorite way to spend a weekend night?

What everyday thing makes you nervous?

amaroque 11-06-2009 10:15 PM

Exactly how many days are there until your next birthday?

How far do you think you can spit?

sunshinegal 11-07-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

What's your favorite way to spend a weekend night?

What everyday thing makes you nervous?

My hubbie and I have a date night on Saturdays where we go to dinner and then go do something fun like see a movie or go walk on the beach or go to a bar and play darts with some drinks. Just something that the two of us can enjoy together. That is my fave way to spend a weekend night.

Elevators make me nervous. I am not claustrophobic but the building that I work in has elevators that break a lot and I have had many of my employees get stuck in them. So I take the stairs whenever I can and now I am nervous about all elevators!