Originally Posted by Treehugger267
- Gender/Age/Location - Female, 42, Western New York. My name is Kelly btw
- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)? - Vegetarian/Vegan in Training
- How do you spend your working week? - Talking to you guys... other than that, not all that glamorous, I'm a stay at home mom, wife, cook, laundry doer, house scrubber person.
- How long have you been veg*n? - About 2.5 years
- How did you find VeggieBoards? - I started doing searches about diet information to help my son w/ his food sensitivities, that lead me to many sites about food ingredients...terrible things happening to our foods...horrific things happening to animals. I just couldn't be a part of that anymore. I tripped over this site after that decision when trying to find suitable recipes. My stays were sporatic at first, I can be a little oversensitive. But, I've made myself quite comfy lately and feel very at home.
- What is the meaning behind your username? - I found the cutest avatar one time of a little smilie hugging a tree and then the tree hugging him back. I've dragged him along w/ me for years, but can't seem to get him to work here. Maybe someone smarter than me can help me w/ him.
- Have you ever met anyone famous? - hmmmm I met a guitar player in Dr. John's band on a bet one time. My husband has met lots, he's a musician and is out and about more. I'm a house mouse.
- Do you live with any companion animals? Yes, my golden retriever...Colby, better known as "Beaner"
- Do you live with any companion humans? Yes, my husband and 2 boys (8 & 10)
-Where is your favorite place that you have visited? - I haven't been many places at all, Toronto (honeymoon, almost killed), Niagara Falls and Orlando, Florida (in highschool). I have pretty great memories from each of them. I have a funny story and proof that my husband loves me from the Niagara Falls trip. They have colored lights on the falls at night that change every half hour (I didn't know that part). In between the changes, they go back to white lights for a period of time. My husband (before we were married *gasp*) were staying at a hotel that directly overlooked the Falls. They were so beautiful in color that I wanted to take a picture of them. My husband told me that my camera wasn't good enough and they wouldn't turn out, I didn't believe him. I dragged him downstairs and across the street to take a picture, but by the time I got there, the colored lights were gone and the white ones were on. Back to the room we went. I looked out again a while later, they were in color again! All excited, I grab my camera and my protesting husband and downstairs we go to get my picture....too late, by the time we got there, they were white again. Back we go to the room, husband grumbling all the way and he may have even threatened my life.
I busied myself for a short while and notice out the window, BEAUTIFUL colors on the Falls and off I went again, this time I got my picture!!!
I was so excited to get my film developed and much to my surprise, my husband was right....my camera was not good enough. The pictures didn't show the colors.
- Ninjas or pirates? - I'm most attracted to pirate clothes!! But, I take taekwondo and they pick on me there because I'm very quiet. I tell them I'm practicing to be a ninja. I'm torn on this question.
- What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? - I take such pride in not hurting things. I wish I had been grown up enough to make this change much earlier.
- What is your favorite VB
post? - I quite enjoyed MrFalafal's Foghat tribute band posts...lol
- With whom would you most love to have dinner? - My dad, Bill Mahr, Bill Clinton, the Cowardly Lion.
- Do you have any secret talents? - yes
- What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off? - I make pretty good spaghetti sauce and homemade pizza. I'm all about presentation though, that's what really gets them. We do candlelite dinners at home in front of the fireplace just because it's fun.
- What's your favorite restaurant? I don't really have one since I've become a veg*n.
- What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue? - Cuddle w/ my dog, this week, watch the squirrels or going to see Annie (my most favorite cow in the whole world!)
- What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster? - That depends on who you ask. I grew up on the typical American diet...meat/potatoes/corn
or peas or casseroles. I used beg for broccoli, my mother told me when I got a job, I could buy it.*sigh* Oh, back to the question.... My husband's family was VERY italian and they certainly didn't eat the things we did. When we first got married, I used to make "casseroles" A LOT! To me, a casserole was rice or noodles w/ peas, probably chicken and a can of mushroom soup. My husband called it "groul." I could NOT understand how he wasn't in love w/ it because I thought it was fabulous, anything w/ cream of mushroom soup had to be. *shrug* I've come a long way.
- What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"? Ummmm cream of mushroom soup..lol My husband will pay you to NOT let that ever happen