VB Star of the Week: Treehugger267 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 AM

So, we're trying out a new format. Each interviewee will be asked a standard 20 questions, and then then their answers posted here, to start the thread.

Other members are welcome to ask questions, but are asked to limit themselves to 2 questions, in order to allow the interviewee time to respond, and to give everyone a chance to ask something.

In the spotlight this week.....Treehugger267!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2009, 07:09 AM

Treehugger's answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

- Gender/Age/Location - Female, 42, Western New York. My name is Kelly btw

- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)? - Vegetarian/Vegan in Training

- How do you spend your working week? - Talking to you guys... other than that, not all that glamorous, I'm a stay at home mom, wife, cook, laundry doer, house scrubber person.

- How long have you been veg*n? - About 2.5 years

- How did you find VeggieBoards? - I started doing searches about diet information to help my son w/ his food sensitivities, that lead me to many sites about food ingredients...terrible things happening to our foods...horrific things happening to animals. I just couldn't be a part of that anymore. I tripped over this site after that decision when trying to find suitable recipes. My stays were sporatic at first, I can be a little oversensitive. But, I've made myself quite comfy lately and feel very at home.

- What is the meaning behind your username? - I found the cutest avatar one time of a little smilie hugging a tree and then the tree hugging him back. I've dragged him along w/ me for years, but can't seem to get him to work here. Maybe someone smarter than me can help me w/ him.

- Have you ever met anyone famous? - hmmmm I met a guitar player in Dr. John's band on a bet one time. My husband has met lots, he's a musician and is out and about more. I'm a house mouse.

- Do you live with any companion animals? Yes, my golden retriever...Colby, better known as "Beaner"

- Do you live with any companion humans? Yes, my husband and 2 boys (8 & 10)

-Where is your favorite place that you have visited? - I haven't been many places at all, Toronto (honeymoon, almost killed), Niagara Falls and Orlando, Florida (in highschool). I have pretty great memories from each of them. I have a funny story and proof that my husband loves me from the Niagara Falls trip. They have colored lights on the falls at night that change every half hour (I didn't know that part). In between the changes, they go back to white lights for a period of time. My husband (before we were married *gasp*) were staying at a hotel that directly overlooked the Falls. They were so beautiful in color that I wanted to take a picture of them. My husband told me that my camera wasn't good enough and they wouldn't turn out, I didn't believe him. I dragged him downstairs and across the street to take a picture, but by the time I got there, the colored lights were gone and the white ones were on. Back to the room we went. I looked out again a while later, they were in color again! All excited, I grab my camera and my protesting husband and downstairs we go to get my picture....too late, by the time we got there, they were white again. Back we go to the room, husband grumbling all the way and he may have even threatened my life. I busied myself for a short while and notice out the window, BEAUTIFUL colors on the Falls and off I went again, this time I got my picture!!! I was so excited to get my film developed and much to my surprise, my husband was right....my camera was not good enough. The pictures didn't show the colors.

- Ninjas or pirates? - I'm most attracted to pirate clothes!! But, I take taekwondo and they pick on me there because I'm very quiet. I tell them I'm practicing to be a ninja. I'm torn on this question.

- What do you enjoy most about being veg*n? - I take such pride in not hurting things. I wish I had been grown up enough to make this change much earlier.

- What is your favorite VB post? - I quite enjoyed MrFalafal's Foghat tribute band posts...lol

- With whom would you most love to have dinner? - My dad, Bill Mahr, Bill Clinton, the Cowardly Lion.

- Do you have any secret talents? - yes

- What dish/recipe can you make that knocks people's socks off? - I make pretty good spaghetti sauce and homemade pizza. I'm all about presentation though, that's what really gets them. We do candlelite dinners at home in front of the fireplace just because it's fun.

- What's your favorite restaurant? I don't really have one since I've become a veg*n.

- What do you do to cheer yourself up when you're feeling blue? - Cuddle w/ my dog, this week, watch the squirrels or going to see Annie (my most favorite cow in the whole world!)

- What's your biggest cooking/baking disaster? - That depends on who you ask. I grew up on the typical American diet...meat/potatoes/corn or peas or casseroles. I used beg for broccoli, my mother told me when I got a job, I could buy it.*sigh* Oh, back to the question.... My husband's family was VERY italian and they certainly didn't eat the things we did. When we first got married, I used to make "casseroles" A LOT! To me, a casserole was rice or noodles w/ peas, probably chicken and a can of mushroom soup. My husband called it "groul." I could NOT understand how he wasn't in love w/ it because I thought it was fabulous, anything w/ cream of mushroom soup had to be. *shrug* I've come a long way.

- What's the one food/product, that you'd love to "veg*nize"? Ummmm cream of mushroom soup..lol My husband will pay you to NOT let that ever happen

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Banned

What was the first truly vegetarian meal you cooked when you first turned veg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

What would be your "perfect day"?

Which season is your favorite?
#5 Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

What was the first truly vegetarian meal you cooked when you first turned veg?

I started out very close to our typical meals so I wouldn't scare anyone...lol I don't remember what the first meal was, If I had to venture a guess, I'm going to say it was probably spaghetti or stir fry. I actually sat down and made a list of all the foods we already ate that were pretty much veggie and stuck w/ them. I don't think anyone actually knew until my husband got out the bbq and I skipped the meat portion.
#6 Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

What would be your "perfect day"?

Which season is your favorite?

The perfect day for me would be anyday I can spend w/ my family uniterupted by work or trivial things. We are very "Ward & June Cleaver" types. I love spending time w/ my husband and my two boys. We don't venture far from home because we like it here.

Fall is my favorite season. I love comfy sweatshirt weather, watching the animals busying themselves preparing for winter. I even start filling the cupboards w/ tons of things just in case we get snowed in...lol I get that from my dad. Another part of fall that I love is that it starts getting darker a little earlier. That brings us all together sooner. We start lighting the candles for dinner, for some reason my husband starts playing the piano again in the fall, never in the summer, only fall and winter. Fall is a very snuggly time.
#7 Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Ankle Biter

What's the deepest snow you've ever had? What's the longest you've been snowed-in?

My husband is from western New York, too, and I've always been afraid to visit in the winter. Do you think I should?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

What's the deepest snow you've ever had? What's the longest you've been snowed-in?

My husband is from western New York, too, and I've always been afraid to visit in the winter. Do you think I should?

The deepest snow was when I was a kid in 1977, we had a terrible blizzard. I didn't know it was serious, I was out of school and I thought it was fun. The snow was as high as our roof. It took a town bachhoe to dig it out. What an awesome sledding hill that was! My dad was a fireman and this, like with every emergency, had him out helping out. He was stranded at the fire hall taking calls for days. So, it was just mom and I at home.

Winters really don't get that bad here anymore. Actually, my husband wishes we would get more snow. We have two very old snowmobiles and often there isn't enough snow to go play with them. We have a skiboose (snowmoble that you pull behind) for the kiddos and we love to take them for rides around the yard and across the street in the fields.

Don't be afraid to visit here in the winter. The storms are few and far between. It's really very pretty in the winter. I'm not that fond of the cold, but I do like to look at it out the window.

Where in Western NY is your husband from? I'm right in the middle of Buffalo and Rochester.
#9 Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Ankle Biter

He's from Elma.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool! Not far away at all....small world.
#11 Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Orange marmalade or strawberry jam? Bagels or English muffins?

Skirts or jeans?

What would you pack for a picnic in the park? Have you ever seen/encountered wildlife really up close and personal?

*this space not for sale*
#12 Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Coffee or Tea?

Beatles or Rolling Stones?
#13 Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

What is your favorite veggie?

P.S. I think you may like this: http://eastlibertypost.com/postpic/treehugger.jpg
#14 Old 10-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

What is your favorite cuisine (Asian, Italian, French, American, etc...)?
#15 Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Can you post the smilie-tree-hugger pic you like so someone can maybe alter it and help you make it into an avatar? I like seeing avatars - it helps me identify people.

Also, I'll ask my standard question: If you could go back in time and leave yourself a 10-word note, how old would your past-self be and what would the note say?
#16 Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Orange marmalade or strawberry jam? Bagels or English muffins?

OH yummy! All of the above. Probably if I HAD to pick though, strawberry jam and bagels...but not w/ the jam... I love everything bagels.

Quote:
Skirts or jeans?

I miss my skirt life. I used to work in professional offices and would always wear skirts and suits. If truth be told, that's why I picked the profession initially...lol

But, I'm very much a jeans girl now.

Quote:
What would you pack for a picnic in the park?

Eggplant bruschetta, black olives, wine, grapes...I would love to say cheese, but I'm trying to stop that one. And some kind of yummy chocolate dessert.

Quote:
Have you ever seen/encountered wildlife really up close and personal?

Oh my, yes. Animals in need of help seem to find me. It took a very long time for my husband to understand and accept this. He grew up in a "don't touch wild animals or they will give you germs and you will surely die" type home. I grew up in the "haul them in and kiss them, they are adorable and need our help" type home. We rescued baby raccoons when I was a kid. I had a wild raccoon baby crawl up in my lap when I was camping once. It's mother wasn't really thrilled w/ that, it was a little tense for a minute or two. It seems every spring I will be "mother" to little nude birds that somehow plop out of their nests and have to make worm on toothpick kabobs for them OFTEN..blek. I've helped turtles, bunnies and various other critters. I've made friends w/ local squirrels and fed them by hand.

I almost got my hand shot off one time as a teen, when I tried to save a duck from being blasted by an idiot who was trying to shoot it through a screen door. Did I mention there are rednecks in my area? Happy ending to that one, the duck was saved and I got to keep my hand, but it was a close call for both of us.
#17 Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

If Foghat's tour van broke down in front of your house right now and they asked if you could cook them up a meal while they waited 2 hours for the AAA to turn up, what could you cook for 5 rockin' dudes right now with stuff in your house?
#18 Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Can you post the smilie-tree-hugger pic you like so someone can maybe alter it and help you make it into an avatar? I like seeing avatars - it helps me identify people.

Also, I'll ask my standard question: If you could go back in time and leave yourself a 10-word note, how old would your past-self be and what would the note say?

Let's see if this works...I'm not always very swift at these things...lol

I would write a note to give myself when I was 33 that said, "Look Up"

I tend to not look up and really look at the people I love. I get to involved in trying to get everything done. I wish I would have really looked at my dad one more time before we lost him.
#19 Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

If Foghat's tour van broke down in front of your house right now and they asked if you could cook them up a meal while they waited 2 hours for the AAA to turn up, what could you cook for 5 rockin' dudes right now with stuff in your house?

What an awesome piece of luck THAT would be!!

**Because I KNOW one of these band members is a far better cook than I, I might just haul him into the kitchen with me to give me a cooking lesson on grown up food..lol

If left on my own, they would be stuck w/ my make your own, pizza buffet that is always a fun hit. I normally have pizza dough at the ready, so I would fill my counter w/ great toppings and let everyone have at it. We would then hang out and have our custom pizza, w/ our favorite beverages. Then I would drag them out to my husband's music studio and enjoy my own private concert.

edited to add: My buffets are extensive and the ingredients come right from the garden. Why am I nervous about cooking for you, MrFalafel?
#20 Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Coffee or Tea?

Beatles or Rolling Stones?

I like both, coffee AM, tea PM....coffee mandatory, tea optional.

hmmmm I'm not a huge fan of either....a few songs from each that I do like, but small doses from each would be plenty. Rolling Stones first.
#21 Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skittles View Post

If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

What is your favorite veggie?

P.S. I think you may like this: http://eastlibertypost.com/postpic/treehugger.jpg

Super power: I'd like to be able to become invisible. How absolutely cool would that be!!! You could be the "fly on the wall" and get to hear what people really think. You could pinch people right on their booties and they'd think it was someone else. You could disappear after doing something stupid (In my case, this one would be the most frequent use) The possibilites are just endless.

Favorite veggie: I love them all, except lima beans. I love asparagus best, I think.

Very cute treehugger!!! Love it.
#22 Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

What is your favorite cuisine (Asian, Italian, French, American, etc...)?

Hard one, there are things from each that I couldn't live without. I have italian most often, but I think that's because my husband is Italian and he stopped complaining when I learned to start making his favorites. I like Chinese food because it's easy to make....hmmm American is just unhealthy generally. I'm having a total brain fart on this...I may have to come back to it...lol
#23 Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Does your screen name mean you've hugged 267 trees? If so, why did you stop? Or is the number even greater now? And if that's the case, do you feel that your screen name was shortsighted?
#24 Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

Does your screen name mean you've hugged 267 trees? If so, why did you stop? Or is the number even greater now? And if that's the case, do you feel that your screen name was shortsighted?

No, that's how many slivers I had that day from hugging them all. Actually, treehugger is a pretty common name...who knew, so I had to throw a couple of numbers in there.
#25 Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

Let's see if this works...I'm not always very swift at these things...lol

Oh, that's really cute!

Unfortunately, Michael doesn't allow animated avatars. So I guess you'll just have to post that image on the board every few days so people can still see it.

*this space not for sale*
#26 Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Oh, that's really cute!

Unfortunately, Michael doesn't allow animated avatars. So I guess you'll just have to post that image on the board every few days so people can still see it.

Maybe that's why I couldn't get it to work...lol I'll find something holding still.
#27 Old 10-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Treehugger!

What is your favorite quote? (non veg related)

And what is your favorite veg related quote?
#28 Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

Hi Treehugger!

What is your favorite quote? (non veg related)

And what is your favorite veg related quote?

"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want." ~ Lao Tzu

(I may have seen this one here, but I loved it.)

"The mighty oak started out as a nut that held its ground" (not sure of the author)

Veg related quote: "Animals are my friends and I don't eat my friends." George Bernard Shaw
#29 Old 10-07-2009, 02:03 PM

What are some of the ingredients in your make your own pizza buffet?

Do you like to read? If so, what is your favorite book/author?
#30 Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiepillars View Post

What are some of the ingredients in your make your own pizza buffet?

Do you like to read? If so, what is your favorite book/author?

I love swiss chard pizza w/ sliced tomatoes and black olives.

Eggplant, tomato & basil pizza

Grilled onion & pepper pizza

The last one I made had just piles of every veggie I could put my hands on. That was the first one w/o cheese that I made. I made it spicey w/ hot pepper flakes. It was incredible.

The kids are boring, they like traditional pepperoni or just cheese. What's cool is, when I make my own, I can just not buy the pepperoni and tell them I forgot it, this happens a lot...lol

I don't read novels or fiction type books. I read books on nutrition, the whole subject facinates me. When I grow up, I would like to work in the field, but I don't know exactly that would be...starting at my old age.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page