Getting to Know: desert-dweller - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 AM

Back by popular demand...a weekly interview with a VBer! Each week's "star" will be able to choose the person who they'd like to see interviewed next. Interviews will last approximately one week, from (approximately) Monday-Monday.

Some questions to get started:

- Gender/Age/Location

- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)?

- How long have you been veg*n?

- How did you find VeggieBoards?

- What is the meaning behind your username?

- What are some of your favorite foods?

- Have you ever met anyone famous?

- Do you live with any companion animals?

- Do you live with any companion humans?

- Where is your favorite place that you have visited?

- ninjas or pirates?

Pleas add a link to a picture and/or your website, if you'd like to share.

If you have a limit to the number of questions you'd like to answer from each poster, let us know.

Links to previous interviews:

Nickle00

fyvel

ETA: Be sure to post your thoughts on the interview threads here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...d.php?t=109160

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 AM
Ex-*****

Excellent ....!

Can you elaborate on what it is about the desert that fascinates you? Also, looking at your avatar: What is Christmas like in the desert?

Do you like the Road Runner & Coyote cartoons, and is there much in those cartoons that you feel has any basis in the real world?

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where woud it be?

What activities would your ideal day consist of?

What's your favorite thing to do in the desert?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

What would you spend your time doing if you didn't have to work for a living?

Do you enjoy a good thunderstorm?

Do you ever get the urge to just follow a tumbleweed or a dust devil around and see where it takes you?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

What are your 5 favorite musicians or bands? (or albums if you prefer to list that way)

What are your 5 favorite books?

If you went to college, what did you study?

Do you see a lot of tarantulas and scorpions? Inside your house?
#6 Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the question so far! Am busy at work today (Mondays are usually my busiest)so will start answering if it slows down this afternoon or when I get home later...

I feel honored to be chosen...
#7 Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you always lived in the desert? If not why did you choose to move there? Would you ever want to live anywhere else?

Do you ever spell it as "dessert"?

#8 Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

A few free moments...

- Gender/Age/Location

Female/46/Moved to Arizona 5 years ago from Massachusetts. Live about 40 miles southeast of Phoenix.

- Are you vegetarian or vegan (or something else)?

Strict vegetarian (do not eat any animal products and working towards other aspects in my life, one day at a time). I dont feel quite right calling myself a vegan though it is something I am striving towards.

- How long have you been veg*n?

1/1/09 with a couple of unsuccessful attempts before that date. You need to research before making the change. Going about it half-**sed didn't work.

- How did you find VeggieBoards?

Google

- What is the meaning behind your username?

I live in the Sonoran Desert which makes me a desert-dweller

- What are some of your favorite foods?

Salsa

Black beans and rice or quinoa

Rapini

Cherries

Strawberries

Blueberries

Salsa

Spinach

Carrots

Tomatoes

Chard

Corn

Granny Smith apples

Did I mention salsa?

Chickpeas

Lentils

Pistachio nuts

Pumpkin seeds

Non Toxic Glues Ants Crawling up a Tree recipe

Zucchini

Bok choy

Broccoli

Peas

Pink grapefruit

Banana/blueberry bread hubby makes

Veggie lasagna

Sweet potatoes

Oh I almost forgot, salsa

- Have you ever met anyone famous?

Steven Tyler-Back in the late 80s I was a cash office manager in a local department store in MA and he came in with his wife at the time (Teresa) and another woman. The old ladies who worked on the floor called me and said I had to come down because they thought someone famous was in the store and I had to tell them who it was. My jaw dropped when I saw him but mustered up enough courage to say, Hi. His wife was rather pregnant at the time.

Judd Nelson and Dan Monahan-I was walking through Faneuil Hall in Boston in the summer of 1986 and they walked by me and said, Hello. I said, OMG that was Judd Nelson and Pee Wee! They were in town filming the movie From the Hip.

Too Short-I met him while working for a custom home builder (first job I had when I moved to AZ). He came in and spent several hours choosing items for his home. To be honest I didnt know who he was and had to search online. He ended up not buying the house after some pretty funky items had already been installed.

Kevin Stevens-I was best friends with his sister growing up until we lost contact after she moved to Georgia in the early 90's. He was a very good hockey player but had a lot of demons. I remember him as a great kid, being very proud of his accomplishments but saddened by some of the things that happened.

- Do you live with any companion animals?

Aja-She turned 9 on April 7th. Have had her since 8 weeks. Shes my angel.

Sedona-She will be 7 on December 14th. Have had her since 12 weeks. Shes my devil child but I love her to bits.

Maximus-He will be 6 tomorrow (Sept. 1st). We adopted him on August 5, 2006 from German Shepherd Rescue of Orange County. Best 12 hour round trip we ever made.

Lily-Unknown age but probably about 1 ½? Hubby found her and another female dog sitting on the side of a busy 4 lane road back in February of this year. He turned around and they came running to him. No collars, no microchips, nobody ever claimed them. We found a good home for the 2nd dog with one of hubbys former co-workers (a hound mix, Sedona did not like her at all, too jumpy) and Lily wormed her way into our hearts so she found a home with us (she's a great little pup). We will celebrate her birthday on her Gotcha Day which is February 4th.

It is one thing I do hate about living on the outskirts; too many people dump what are supposed to be their companions in the desert to fend for themselves

I will always rescue going forward and am actually a long distance volunteer for the rescue we adopted Max from.

- Do you live with any companion humans?

Husband.

- Where is your favorite place that you have visited?

2 places. The Grand Canyon and Sedona. The beauty of both brings tears to my eyes every time.

- ninjas or pirates?

Pirates!! Ninjas just dont do it for me

Please add a link to a picture and/or your website, if you'd like to share.

Here's the desert dwelling dork with Lily. This is from a couple of weeks ago on the Mogollon Rim. I don't have a wesbite.

If you have a limit to the number of questions you'd like to answer from each poster, let us know.

I will do my best to answer everyone.

Can you elaborate on what it is about the desert that fascinates you? Also, looking at your avatar: What is Christmas like in the desert?

I love the openness and stark beauty of the desert. I find now when I go back east to visit family I feel claustrophobic from everything being dark and closed in.

My first Christmas was weird, didnt feel like Christmas, esp. not having my extended family around. Very strange to be in short sleeves with your windows wide open in December. I am used to it now and love it. I hate cold weather.

Do you like the Road Runner & Coyote cartoons, and is there much in those cartoons that you feel has any basis in the real world?

I have not watched that cartoon in ages but always remember thinking how much I wanted to see the desert (Let me clue you in that real road runners dont look anything like the cartoon one but they do move pretty fast). Not sure how much it relates to the real world but if I remember correctly every time Wile E. Coyote tried to harm RR he would end up getting hurt; wouldnt it be interesting if people who tried to harm others (i.e. terrorists) that whatever they were trying to do would harm them instead?

Will answer more later...
#9 Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Two questions for now.

1. If I go to Arizona to visit my sister next year, would you meet up with me?

2. Are you one of those people who always say, 'But it's a dry heat!'? If no, are you tired of hearing people say, 'But it's a dry heat!'?
#10 Old 08-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

If you could re-experience any part of your life any time you chose, what would it be?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#11 Old 08-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Everyone gets the same first question from me, because I find it fascinating:

If you could go back in time and leave yourself a ten-word message, how old would your past-self be, and what would the message say?
#12 Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

The US states I havent been to yet and Australia.

What activities would your ideal day consist of?

Quality time with my furkids, working out, a great hike and picnic lunch with hubby and the furkids, maybe a good movie if I wasn't too tired.

What's your favorite thing to do in the desert?

Hike; there is still so much of the state I havent had a chance to explore.

What would you spend your time doing if you didn't have to work for a living?

More time with my furkids, work out more, volunteer more in person for the rescue (its 400 miles away) instead of the more administrative functions I do now, travel the US in an RV.

Do you enjoy a good thunderstorm?

I used to be terrified of lightning but the rare storms we get in AZ fascinate me. Must be the wide open sky, you can see lightning for miles. I am looking out my computer room window and it looks like a haboob (aka dust storm) and thunderstorm are on the way.

Do you ever get the urge to just follow a tumbleweed or a dust devil around and see where it takes you?

Not really but sometimes tumbleweeds run out in front of me while driving and I've driven through a few dust devils and the more dangerous haboobs. The haboobs are scary to drive through.....

What are your 5 favorite musicians or bands? (or albums if you prefer to list that way)

Oh my.... I can't narrow this one down but I love late 60's, 70's, 80's music the most...

What are your 5 favorite books?

When I was a young girl I loved all the Little House on the Prairie books and Charlotte's Web. As an adult can't really say I have 5 favorite books but enjoy Robin Cook, Ann Rule, some Stephen King, I'll attempt to read almost anything.

If you went to college, what did you study?

I lasted one semester so did not study/learn much. I wanted to be a veterinarian from the time I was really young but career day my junior year of hs ended that dream. They had a crabby old vet there and he said that we dont need any more vets esp. women vets. I was so crushed and at that time a very shy person so dropped my dream. If that happened now I would have told him to take a long leap off a short pier

Do you see a lot of tarantulas and scorpions? Inside your house?

I have yet to see a tarantula and the only scorpions so far have been 2 at work. I screamed and made our GF take them outside. One morning before I came in some of the crews found a HUGE scorpion in the yard and they wanted to put it in a box on my desk but the same GF said, No way, shell have a heart attack

So far only wolf spiders inside the house but I did see a black widow outside <shivers>

Have you always lived in the desert? If not why did you choose to move there? Would you ever want to live anywhere else?

No, moved here 5 years ago. I wanted out of rain, snow and cold and we had vacationed in Arizona twice and loved it. If I had unlimited funds wouldnt mind a home in Sedona (expensive to live) rather than in the valley but I really like my home and am happy here. We looked at homes in Sedona but I dont want to live for my house.

Do you ever spell it as "dessert?

No

If I go to Arizona to visit my sister next year, would you meet up with me?

Of course! I enjoy meeting new people even though I can be kind of shy at first.

Are you one of those people who always say, 'But it's a dry heat!'? If no, are you tired of hearing people say, 'But it's a dry heat!'?

I would much rather be in 100+ temps and have it be dry than 80 and humid. So no I dont get tired of the dry heat comments.

If you could re-experience any part of your life any time you chose, what would it be?

Ive had some chapters in life I wouldnt wish on an enemy but one experience that was fun was when hubby and I waited in line at the Clark County courthouse in Vegas to get our marriage license. We got in line at 12:15am on Valentines Day and had a great time meeting people from all over and watching this one couple and their entourage a few couples behind us. It was about 30F (I had on long johns under my jeans) and the bride to be was in a short sleeved top, 12 pack under her arm, stumbling drunk, loud and very fun to watch. Three hours later when we left she was being held up but still blabbing away

Better post, bad storm rolling in and we might lose electricity and all these answers...
#13 Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Everyone gets the same first question from me, because I find it fascinating:

If you could go back in time and leave yourself a ten-word message, how old would your past-self be, and what would the message say?

Hmmm...

Either:

"Beware of men named '****' and '******'."-This one before I turned 18.

or

"Don't eat meat you dork."-Young, maybe 5?
#14 Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Hmmm...

Either:

"Beware of men named '****' and '******'."-This one before I turned 18.

Heh! Just so you know, from now on I'm totally going to imagine you dated people with curse words for names.

That's tremendous.
#15 Old 08-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Heh! Just so you know, from now on I'm totally going to imagine you dated people with curse words for names.

That's tremendous.

They were all named "Dick."

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Tell us about your favorite restaurant and what you like to eat there.
#17 Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

They were all named "Dick."

hahahahahahahahaha

Yup, "Dick" and "Riggin".....

Seriously, it's my 2 exes names, just blanked out...
#18 Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Tell us about your favorite restaurant and what you like to eat there.

I have 2 favorite places...

The DeliQC is close to home. They put a veg*n meal on their menu for me and a couple of other women, it's different every visit. They also have great hummus and a yummy dipping/salsa-like creation they serve free at dinner that is different each time but always vegan and they make their own crusty bread (vegan). It is a couple in I would guess their 30's who own it and his parents came out from New Jersey to help run it. They are all great.

My other favorite place is Pita Jungle (they have several locations). I love their Lentil Fetoosh salad and Falafel wrap the most. They also have a Gazpacho soup sometimes during the summer that is yummy.
#19 Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 AM
Banned

1. If you were to start and run your own business, what type of business would it be?

2. If you woke up and a genie was standing over your bed with a briefcase, and the proceeded to hand you $1,000,000, and told you that you had to spend it ALL before midnight that night or else it would just disappear like a self-destructive bomb... after you'd booked yourself in for a psych test the next day, what would you spend the cash on? We can assume the genie is totally trustworthy and the money you spend wouldn't disappear from whoever you gave it to.

3. Who's your favourite American Idol winner?
#20 Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

1. If you were to start and run your own business, what type of business would it be?

2. If you woke up and a genie was standing over your bed with a briefcase, and the proceeded to hand you $1,000,000, and told you that you had to spend it ALL before midnight that night or else it would just disappear like a self-destructive bomb... after you'd booked yourself in for a psych test the next day, what would you spend the cash on? We can assume the genie is totally trustworthy and the money you spend wouldn't disappear from whoever you gave it to.

3. Who's your favourite American Idol winner?

I would like to open a doggie daycare. The only local place is one of those PetSmart Hotels and it's just too small without any outside play area and I see young kids working there looking very bored and not interacting with the dogs at all... I would have to purchase land and build (or find an equestrian property) because where I live is in a subdivision with an HOA and they would have a field day giving me fines for running a business out of my house. I would have lots of toys, an agility area if any of the pups were interested in running a course, kiddie pools, treats, separate inside rooms for small and large dogs with lots of comfy sleeping spots (I would have separate areas outside as well, wouldn't want a chihuahua getting squashed by rambunctious big dogs) and tons of hugs...

Tax free million? Hmmmm.... I could start the doggie daycare.... I would pay off my mortgage and 2 car loans then let hubby buy something new (I just bought a new car last week and his is 2 years old), give my Mum some money so she no longer has to budget every penny (she is 85 and on a fixed income), donate to several charities I support. I have a niece with MS; would set up a trust fund for her so if she gets to the point where she is not self-sufficient she will not have to worry. Book a couple of vacations (Hawaii and Australia) and maybe have some custom fit clothing made as I sometimes have a hard time finding things to fit me, esp. jeans...

I don't watch American Idol but hubby does....
#21 Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

Very good answers! You seem like a very kind person.

I don't watch American Idol either, but I thought I'd have a go at this pop culture thing I hear about
#22 Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Hello!

*What [and or who] do you find as a source of inspiration in life?

*What are your favorite pizza toppings (if you like pizza)?

By the way, it is nice to get to learn more about you!
#23 Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by val/the/vegan View Post

Hello!

*What [and or who] do you find as a source of inspiration in life?

*What are your favorite pizza toppings (if you like pizza)?

By the way, it is nice to get to learn more about you!

Hi!!

The rescue I volunteer for is an inspiration. We are all volunteers and are able to place over 300 GSD's into new loving homes every year. Since I live in another state and over 400 miles away do not get the face to face interaction but hope my little contributions (silent auction solicitations for fundraising events, keeping spreadsheet records and occasional home visits when they receive an application from the Phoenix area) help out in some way. The founder is a very inspirational woman.

Another inspirational woman is my Mum. She's a feisty little old lady and I hope to be as feisty (or more so) at her age...

I never used to eat much pizza because I always wanted to sleep after eating a slice but we made a whole wheat pizza with just sauce, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, garlic, mushrooms and olives this weekend and it was pretty good... I think the white flour and cheese is what made me sleepy in the past plus cheese and I never had a great relationship...
#24 Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-dweller View Post

Hi!!

The rescue I volunteer for is an inspiration. We are all volunteers and are able to place over 300 GSD's into new loving homes every year. Since I live in another state and over 400 miles away do not get the face to face interaction but hope my little contributions (silent auction solicitations for fundraising events, keeping spreadsheet records and occasional home visits when they receive an application from the Phoenix area) help out in some way. The founder is a very inspirational woman.

Another inspirational woman is my Mum. She's a feisty little old lady and I hope to be as feisty (or more so) at her age...

I never used to eat much pizza because I always wanted to sleep after eating a slice but we made a whole wheat pizza with just sauce, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, garlic, mushrooms and olives this weekend and it was pretty good... I think the white flour and cheese is what made me sleepy in the past plus cheese and I never had a great relationship...

Thank you for your reply. I commend you on all your hard work with the rescue and I'm sure our furry friends appreciate all you are and do for them. You are an inspiration.

As per your mother, I can relate. I only hope that I can be at least half the woman my mother is.

Your pizza sounds splendidly delicious! Vegan pizza is awesome!

Thank you again for your reply...it is always nice to learn more about our friends.
#25 Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

What is your favorite recipe using roasted Hatch green chiles?
#26 Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

What is your favorite recipe using roasted Hatch green chiles?

I don't have one...

<hangs head in shame>

Would you like to share one?
#27 Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you a collector of anything? If so, what are your collections?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#28 Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 PM

Do you like to cook?

Whats your favorite season?

Whats your favorite time of day?

Do you like receiving email or "snail mail" better? what about sending?

Whats your favorite type of candy?

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
#29 Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Are you a collector of anything? If so, what are your collections?

I try not to collect much stuff because I hate clutter (and I'm married to Mr. Clutter, go figure) but do have a small collection of little chimeneas that are displayed in my living room on a built in shelf. I also have a few pieces of Navajo pottery (one piece is rather beautiful) and a fetish (would like to get a couple more fetishes). And of course I have some GSD things including several Christmas tree ornaments....
#30 Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Do you like to cook?

Whats your favorite season?

Whats your favorite time of day?

Do you like receiving email or "snail mail" better? what about sending?

Whats your favorite type of candy?

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

The kitchen and I have a love/hate relationship but since becoming veg*n I don't hate it as much.

Now that we live in Arizona I love every season but when we lived in MA it was summer.

I am a morning person, out of bed by 4:40am during the week and pretty much the same on the weekends but occasionally I might "sleep in" until 5:15...

I like both. But I do love getting a letter in the mail from my Mum. She loves getting mail as well so I will send her cards and little notes.

I used to love Smarties (US version) but haven't had any since before 1/1/09... I don't mind a good piece of dark chocolate when I am PMS-ing but otherwise could care less about chocolate.

My super power would be an immortal time traveler....
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page