DIY Christmas Chocolates - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey everyone, there's a lot of threads about how to be frugal at Christmas, and I wanted to share one of my favorite ways... By making my own Christmas chocolates using cheap, accidentally vegan chocolate chips and candy molds.

Here's one of my favorite places to get molds: http://stores.ebay.com/ESSENMACHER-MOLDS

Although if you're overseas or just don't like E-Bay, there are a million other places online and you can usually find at least basic Christmas molds in your grocery store.

Another thing these are great for is gifts. There are so many cool ideas at the page I linked to above--last year, I gave my VW bug-obsessed sister a mold of (drumroll please) little VW bugs and a bag of chocolate chips to use with it. I gave my boyfriend's family a mold with little horses (they train horses for a living). There's pretty much something for everyone... If you're a vegan feeling nostalgic for old treats, there's even a mold to make your chocolates shaped like Hershey's kisses!!

Anyway, I hope this was helpful to some of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Great! List some recipes, please, I am sure others will use them.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Great! List some recipes, please, I am sure others will use them.

For me, its usually as simple as melt the chocolate and pour it in... If I'm feeling fancy though, it's fun to stir in orange zest, peanutbutter (that can get sticky, though!), broken up candycane bits, nuts, chopped dried fruit (which is REALLY good with chocolate)... I usually put the chocolate-filled molds into the freezer, to make sure the chocolates pop out easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

make sure you use tempered chocolate (or temper it when you melt it) so it doesn't go white though

maybe i should make some this year. my mother in law always buys little leaf shaped chocolates to garnish the dessert table at christmas, i hate being surrounded by chocolate and not being able to eat it

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

make sure you use tempered chocolate (or temper it when you melt it) so it doesn't go white though

maybe i should make some this year. my mother in law always buys little leaf shaped chocolates to garnish the dessert table at christmas, i hate being surrounded by chocolate and not being able to eat it

How do you know if you're chocolate is tempered? If it isn't, how do you temper it?

I would probably use Tropical Source vegan choco chips...are those tempered? I found in the pie I made that they only turned a little off color when I put it in the fridge to cool. When it came back up to room temp, they looked fine.
#6 Old 12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

i found the article posted here really informative, not just the article but also the comments posted on it as well

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...40&postcount=5

~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks...I'll check it out tomorrow when my brain is fully functioning.
#8 Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just thinking...could you add extracts and stuff to the chocolate to flavor it? I was thinking maybe peppermint for the holidays or orange with the orange zest mentioned above. Mmmm or maybe some chopped up crystalized ginger?
#9 Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm sure you could, that would be yummy. i like the idea of giving bark as a gift because you can wrap it up all pretty or put it in a pretty tin, and if you make it with christmas colours it just looks awesome.

i don't know about vegan white chocolate but i'm sure it must exist, but yeah if you mix a little bit of whatever chocolate you're using (or use the opposite, white if you're doing dark, dark if you're doing white) and add the extracts and food colouring and add it to the rest after it's all poured out into a pan and starting to set, you can swirl it with a toothpick or something to make a cool ribbon affect. white chocolate with red and green peppermint ribbons looks great

~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page