"I bring a dish to pass" (for Thanksgiving) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Beginner

All the vegetarians I know have been telling me to just bring a dish to pass for Omni Thanksgiving Dinner. Of course I think its a good idea, because not only does it give you something delicious to eat, it makes your hostess feel better because you have something to eat!

But I have no idea what to bring! If it was going to be very small, I would probably make stuffed squash or a lentil loaf. But its going to be 20-30 people, so I need a big delicious filling vegetarian dish.

I'm not sure what the food will be like but a lot of my family put sausage in everything, including stuffing and even bacon in the green bean casserole (sad......I know). So I certainly need to bring something.....

I've got no ideas here people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd make a hearty dish since it sounds like it may be the only one you can eat! It may be too non traditional for your family, but pasta is affordable and delicious and nearly everyone loves it!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Some kind of baked pie/pasta/layered dish? The kind where you put lots of things in layers in a baking dish and just put in the oven for a bit. How about this recipe (or its original here)? It can be adapted in a number of ways. Along the same lines, you could do veggie lasagna, or veggie moussaka. You could do a double batch, so that you could share with more people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I think for that many people a veggie lasagna would be the way to go. It's just as easy to make a big one as a small one, it's filling and not so scary that people couldn't handle it.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#5 Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

While not as "hearty", a rice pilaf is beautiful. Long grain and wild rice, with almonds or pecans and pine nuts, chopped dried apricots, dried cranberries, and caramelized onions (chopped, not long stringy ones or they look like worms in the rice, just sayin'...). Season with a little maple syrup (yes, seriously!) lotsa sage, onion powder, black pepper. Deeee-lish and always finished at every holiday potluck, veggie or not.

I have even crumbled Field Roast Apple-Sage Sausage into bits, fried it a bit and added - and had omnis SWEAR it was "real" sausage.
#6 Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Or how about stuffed potatoes?

Bake potatoes, cut in half while hot, remove innards, mash them with lots of Earth Balance, roasted garlic, chopped green onions or chives, salt and pepper, Tofutti Sour CReam and a wee bit of nutritional yeast. Whip with mixer a bit, but not too much. Heap back into potato skins, bake until tops are golden and heated thru. NO ONE knows it's vegan, I SWEAR!
#7 Old 11-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

how about a shepherds pie. veg meat pie if meat pie is traditional for your area (i think it's mostly a canadian thing lol). stroganoff is easy to make and cheap to make a lot of it.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the ideas! They are good for Thanksgiving and also for everyday! I'm back to being vegetarian after about 4 years. I thought it would be easy but I've actually had kind of a hard time coming up with ideas!

Thanks, though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page