• 2 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By Dilettante
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 11-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

The Official Veggieboards Thanksgiving 2016 Thread!

We've already celebrated our Thanksgiving in Canada but American Thanksgiving is coming up soon!

What is everybody doing this year? What vegetarian/vegan meal are you having?

Chat about anything Thanksgiving related and share all your recipes/ideas here!
Tom, Purp, Naturebound and 1 others like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I will be going to my Mom's again this Thanksgiving, and my sister and partner will be there. We have a gluten free vegan Thanksgiving every year (my Mom eats gluten free so we just make everything gluten free vegan so everyone can partake). This year I am making a crockpot baked bean dish, and a corn souffle, and a waldorf salad with cashew mayo. I have this all planned out well ahead lol. I'm not sure what anyone else is making. Everyone just kind of makes or brings something, and so far we have never ended up bringing the exact same thing.

I'm not too crazy about the whole history behind Thanksgiving, and the slaughter of so many turkeys and other animals to celebrate it, but it's kind of an excuse for the family to get together and spend time with one another. I am really thankful I get to have Thanksgiving at a table where there will not be a dead bird. I suffer through this near Christmas when we visit my partner's family out of town (I bring all my own food to survive a weekend there). However, his mother, who has cooked from scratch almost every meal her entire life, is becoming too unwell to do much of this, and I was shocked when the last time we were there she made a ready made meal you just heat up. I was even more shocked that it was donated to her by her church, and it happened to be a vegan friendly ready made meal with tofu as a base ingredient. I am thinking about bringing some ready made vegan meals and easy to cook ingredients to her house next time we visit there, maybe as a gift. And maybe I will bring more of my own homemade food to share with her.

It will be a hard year this year as my Mom's dog Edward had to be put down a few days ago. We always bring our dog Sable to visit there, and she LOVES Edward, and she will not understand where he went. I think I'm going to go bawl now....

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I will be going to my Mom's again this Thanksgiving, and my sister and partner will be there. We have a gluten free vegan Thanksgiving every year (my Mom eats gluten free so we just make everything gluten free vegan so everyone can partake). This year I am making a crockpot baked bean dish, and a corn souffle, and a waldorf salad with cashew mayo. I have this all planned out well ahead lol. I'm not sure what anyone else is making. Everyone just kind of makes or brings something, and so far we have never ended up bringing the exact same thing.

I'm not too crazy about the whole history behind Thanksgiving, and the slaughter of so many turkeys and other animals to celebrate it, but it's kind of an excuse for the family to get together and spend time with one another. I am really thankful I get to have Thanksgiving at a table where there will not be a dead bird. I suffer through this near Christmas when we visit my partner's family out of town (I bring all my own food to survive a weekend there). However, his mother, who has cooked from scratch almost every meal her entire life, is becoming too unwell to do much of this, and I was shocked when the last time we were there she made a ready made meal you just heat up. I was even more shocked that it was donated to her by her church, and it happened to be a vegan friendly ready made meal with tofu as a base ingredient. I am thinking about bringing some ready made vegan meals and easy to cook ingredients to her house next time we visit there, maybe as a gift. And maybe I will bring more of my own homemade food to share with her.

It will be a hard year this year as my Mom's dog Edward had to be put down a few days ago. We always bring our dog Sable to visit there, and she LOVES Edward, and she will not understand where he went. I think I'm going to go bawl now....
I know that feeling all too well.
Werewolf Girl and Naturebound like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

I'm sorry, losing dog friends is so hard...
Naturebound likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 11-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

I have been drooling at vegan Thanksgiving recipes on Pinterest for days now, here are some of my favourites:

The Roasted Vegan Thanksgiving Bowl: http://www.ilovevegan.com/roasted-ve...ksgiving-bowl/

Vegan Thanksgiving In An Hour: http://www.isachandra.com/2010/11/th...ng-in-an-hour/

Meatless Loaf: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11...less-loaf.html

Vegan Pumpkin Pie with Coconut Milk Whipped Cream: http://www.onceuponacuttingboard.com...n-pie.html?m=1

Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake: http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-pumpkin-cheesecake/

Find dozens more Thanksgiving recipes on the Veggieboards Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/veggieboar...iving-~-vegan/
Naturebound and Symondezyn like this.

#6 Old 11-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

https://youtu.be/btXjgOM3EGM?t=5s

This video is my new favourite thing....

Mashed potatoes so good you could put your hand in it!

#7 Old 11-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Farm Sanctuary's Celebration FOR the turkeys is live on Facebook right now and it's SO CUTE!

Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/farmsanctua...PAGES_TIMELINE

#8 Old 11-19-2016, 06:38 PM
imagineaa

I am making Trader Joe's holiday loaf thingee. You are supposed to place it on top of vegetables and roast them together, so that will be yams. It comes with gravy.

I am making cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce and roasted broccolini. I bought mashed potatoes to heat up.

I put my husband in charge of dessert, and it looks like he will be providing that by driving us to a friend's house.

I am trying hard not to make a lot of stuff from scratch because the cleanup is a b&^%$%.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#9 Old 11-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I made pie, am in the process of making croissants and vegan Wellington. Oh, and I warned people coming to dinner at our house to dress like this.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

I hope everyone has a not too uncomfortable Thanksgiving with family!
Tom and Purp like this.

#11 Old 11-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Purp likes this.

#12 Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not Thanksgiving in the United States without this guy.

#13 Old 11-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Just out of curiosity, which one of you created this game? http://www.addictinggames.com/funny-...rontescape.jsp

#14 Old 11-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Impeach the gangster

I spent the Day by myself, except for my dog and cat. Just another day. Had taquitos and salsa for dinner. I'm glad it's over. I was tired of seeing pics of roasted turkeys plastered all over the web. Yuck.
Tom and Purp like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#15 Old 11-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I spent the Day by myself, except for my dog and cat. Just another day. Had taquitos and salsa for dinner. I'm glad it's over. I was tired of seeing pics of roasted turkeys plastered all over the web. Yuck.
Yeah, that's definitely the hardest thing about Thanksgiving, I think I post so many vegan Thanksgiving recipes around this time to try to fight all the meat posts...

Your taquitos sound delicious though!
Purp likes this.

#16 Old 11-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Your taquitos sound delicious though!
Straight from freezer to oven! Goes good with frijoles and guacamole. I finally found some guacamole "minis", so I can have some, without a huge package spoiling in the 'fridge!
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#17 Old 11-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

My sister and brother-in-law were out of town for Thanksgiving, meeting their son's girlfriend's parents. So I celebrated Thanksgiving a day early with vegan friends the previous night. It was great! (even though, yeah, I kind of missed my sister and nephews).
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#18 Old 11-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

As I recall, last Thanksgiving (2015), when I was a bit less strict than I am now, I had a couple of nibbles of turkey, just because I figured it didn't matter since leftovers would be tossed anyway. This Thanksgiving, I brought fake meat with me, Gardein Chik'n Scallopini. I hadn't tried the stuff before and it was sitting in my freezer to experiment with, so I thought this would be a good time to try it. I troubled the host to stick it in a toaster oven and heated it up, had it with my dinner, while everyone else had turkey. It was okay, but just okay. I wasn't crazy about it. I had mashed potatoes as the main side, which I assume were made with butter and milk, because I'm not a strict vegan (am vegetarian who eats vegan most of the time). The only other sides there were rolls, cranberry sauce, and a veggie casserole which tasted like it had some type of cheese in it. That was it.

Overall, I wasn't too happy with the fake meat I brought. I could, of course, have simply eaten the sides only and skipped the protein dish altogether. However, that doesn't work well for me. If I eat a large meal without much protein, I end up not feeling very full or satisfied. The weird thing was that the host cooked two turkeys and some guests cancelled, so they're probably going to throw away a whole bunch of turkey. I felt conflicted about not eating the turkey which will be tossed anyway, and eating the fake meat that I didn't really like that much. On the other hand, I saw the two turkey carcasses sitting there and just thought it was a shame and a total waste to slaughter sentient, possibly loving animals, for no reason. So I can say that I stayed away from participating in the annual slaughter this year.

Next year, I guess I'll bring a different fake meat as my protein, like Gardein breaded Chik'n, which I've tried and is better, or the Gardein meatloaf, which I want to try.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Dilettante; 11-26-2016 at 01:11 PM.
#19 Old 11-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

When my kids were young I belonged to a wholesale club that carried Gardein Chik'n Scallopini in big packs. It's not very good as is, but dredge in seasoned flour and lightly fry- my kids loved them! They said they tasted like breaded pork chops, which I never made.
Cooking a bird has always been the worst part of all thanksgiving dinners. So much fuss, kitchen space, oven space, timing serving it's crazy. While my family wasn't veg they did agree dinner would be better without it, the sides are so crazy good!
I hope your relatives aren't so thoughtless as to waste food
Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#20 Old 11-26-2016, 03:14 PM

I posted about my Thanksgiving already here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17...ml#post4033914

As for this discussion, I think that, as with animal-based meat, veggie meat's taste depends heavily on how it is prepared. I've had both good and bad, sometimes with the same product.
#21 Old 11-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

As for this discussion, I think that, as with animal-based meat, veggie meat's taste depends heavily on how it is prepared. I've had both good and bad, sometimes with the same product.

Actually, in my opinion, most animal-based meat taste better almost regardless of the method of preparation. Grilled salmon, baked turkey, or a simple beef burger tastes far better, I think, than virtually any veggie meat. Even so, I don't eat animal-based meats because doing so is unnecessary for human health and causes sentient beings to suffer.

Moreover, there are just a few veggie meats I've found that are almost as good as animal-based meats. The best veggie meat that I've tried is the new Beyond Burger, which Beyond Meat is rolling out this fall and which just came to my local Whole Foods. It's far better than their original burger, the Beast Burger, and is 98% or 99% as delicious a beef burger.

The runners up are Gardein Meatless Meatballs (delicious with pasta and marinara), Gardein 7 grain crispy tenders, Quorn Vegan Chik'n Tenders, and Field Roast Italian Sausages.

I expect that, over the next several years, new and improved veggie meats will continue to come onto the market that increasingly taste better.

Last edited by Dilettante; 11-26-2016 at 03:54 PM.
#22 Old 11-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

When my kids were young I belonged to a wholesale club that carried Gardein Chik'n Scallopini in big packs. It's not very good as is, but dredge in seasoned flour and lightly fry- my kids loved them!

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
#23 Old 12-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I hope everyone has a not too uncomfortable Thanksgiving with family!

Oh please. I can tolerate other people not being vegan by bringing my own food, or even cooking for everyone myself (like I did the last couple of years) ...while Trump supporters make me want to commit bodily harm. I have practically disowned one of my nephews, I don't want to speak to him.

Moby was a good choice for the meme though since he is both vegan and anti-Trump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page