• 4 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 4 Post By troi
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 2 Post By Sidhuriel

#1 Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

The Official Veggieboards Halloween 2016 Thread!

I should have started this waaaaaay before now, Halloween is my favourite holiday!

What is everyone doing for Halloween? Are you making any veg*n treats or dressing up?

I'm seriously considering going as Holtzmann from the new Ghostbusters, I love her character so much I'm just not sure how I'd do the hair...

And now, without further ado... The new Vegnews Guide To Vegan Halloween Candy! It's a huge list: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4487&catId=2

Post anything Halloween related here! Lets get spooky!
David3 and troi like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm looking at all those goodies in your photo, but aren't halloween treats supposed to be prepackaged in single units? I got yelled at a few years ago when I portioned treats into baggies and tied them with cute ribbons. Apparently this is a huge no no (I don't have kids so I learn stuff from coworkers who are also mothers lol). The rules are so stringent now that I gave up giving out Halloween treats and we just turn off the lights when it comes around. However, someone on Facebook mentioned buying some nonfood items from the Dollar Store, like little toy trinkets, and passing those out. I thought it sounded like a good idea, but my partner doesn't think kids would go for that. So IDK. One year I gave out vegan lollypops from the online Vegan Store, but I paid an arm and a leg for enough of them to pass out. My local grocery has individual little packets of vegan dark chocolates, but people don't seem to like dark chocolate. Maybe I will buy a few boxes of Enjoy Life bars. I love their Choco Loco bars and they are totally vegan! Small enough to pass out for a Halloween treat. Maybe when I visit the Twin Cities Vegfest, I can find something down there.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 10-16-2016, 06:08 AM
Impeach the gangster

My tradition has become to buy a box of Fair Trade dark chocolate minis. Buying from Equal Exchange Coop, instead of a big corporation, is supposed to help the small farmer. At $30 for a box of 150, it's a little pricy (that's 20-cents for each mini,) but it's just once a year, and, when Halloween is over, there's always enough left over to keep me in chocolate heaven for a while.

Purp, Naturebound and David3 like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Bandit

I love Halloween too. I live in LA (until next summer) and kids don't really trick or treat in apartment complexes anywhere I've lived. Even when I lived in a house we took the child there to a upper middle class/wealthy neighborhood where there were various Halloween events going on, as well as safe trick or treating. SO my experience has largely been that I don't give out candy.

I still like to do things on my own. A couple of times since living here I've done the Haunted Hayride at Grifith Park (and the only food truck there is vegan! Yay!) But that may be too pricey for me this year since I'm a college student again. We shall see.

At least I tend to watch horror movies, roast pumpkin seeds or bake Halloween treats if I don't have candy. Horror movies are where it's at! Last year I also made a Halloween play list of music.
Purp and David3 like this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 10-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Bandit

Oh but I will add that Blow Pops are my favorite vegan candy. I have no idea if I'll dress up this year (money, time, etc) but I considered being Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Mia from the newer Evil Dead, or just something randomly creepy, like wearing a child-like 1920s dress with Mary Jane style shoes, pigtails and painting my face something vaguely dead or evil.

I feel so inferior to the sorts of people who come up with really creative costumes, like elaborate word plays or puns represented visually, but I guess we all have our strengths and our weaknesses.

Ingrid Newkirk
#6 Old 10-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Plant Powered

I love Halloween! So much so that it's also my wedding anniversary hehehe ^_^ This year is our first year anniversary so we will probably go to a fancy shmancy restaurant for dinner on the actual day (Monday), and I think we have a party to go to on the weekend prior. Roasted punkin seeds, Rocky Horror Picture Show and hanging out with my kitties is more my style, though, tbh ^_^ We also check out Fright Night in Vancouver every couple years when they add a new haunted house - that's the BEST! ^_^
Purp, David3 and Thalassa like this.
#7 Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Impeach the gangster

Tom, Purp, Naturebound and 2 others like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#8 Old 10-18-2016, 04:40 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ I hate to admit that it took me a few seconds to get "possession".

Every year I think about dressing up in some sort of costume at work, but even though I think it would be allowed, I never do it.
Purp and Naturebound like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 10-18-2016 at 04:42 PM.
#9 Old 10-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't really celebrated anything Halloween related for years. Where I work now, we are not allowed to dress up for it, and now we can't even have food in our department setting (though we can eat at our desks). Bah Humbug! Or is that Christmas? lol.

I love making pumpkiny dishes though, so maybe I will do that. My partner's birthday is just a few days before Halloween so I usually make him either vegan carrot or cheese cake. And this year I am going to the Twin Cities Veg Fest for the first time ever on October 29th. It is a 2.5 hour drive from where I live but will be well worth it.

I literally have no social life. :/ But I enjoy reading what others do here!

ps I am still planning to pass out Food For Life chocolate bars if we get any trick or treaters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 10-19-2016, 04:46 PM

I found some fair trade, vegan peanut butter cups today, called "Unreal" (the crispy ones). I'm excited to try them out, but I'll wait until Halloween. Usually I don't get trick-or-treaters, but I'd like to be ready for them just in case.
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#11 Old 10-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

I found so many fun vegan Halloween ideas!

Frankenstein Avocado Toast: http://veganchowdown.com/halloween-f...avocado-toast/

Vegan Pumpkin Ghost Donut Holes: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2016/...nut-holes.html

Halloween Pizzas: http://www.veganricha.com/2012/10/ha...d-cheddar.html

Halloween Toast Snack Platters: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2016/...s-healthy.html

Stuffed Mushroom Eyeballs: http://veganyackattack.com/2012/10/2...room-eyeballs/

Jack-O-Lantern Orange Fruit Cups

9 Seriously Vegan Halloween Costume Ideas: http://www.chooseveg.com/11-vegan-th...stumes-we-love
Purp, Naturebound, David3 and 1 others like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#12 Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm thinking of wearing my usual work clothes to work, but at my desk/cubicle, sneaking on my ballet slippers (by the way they are Cynthia King vegan ballet slippers). I'll loudly proclaim to those around me that I don't believe in dressing up for Halloween, then proceed to get up and waltz down the aisle with my ballet slippers on lol. There is nothing in our dress code that says I can't wear those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballet Feet Three.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	15418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballet Feet Four.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	15426  
Purp, David3, Symondezyn and 1 others like this.

#13 Old 10-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Vegan since 1991

(This is a repeat post from last Halloween, but anyway

In Mary Shelley's original book, Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus (published March 11th, 1818), Victor Frankenstein's "monster" was a vegetarian. Here is an excerpt from the book, wherein the "monster" asks Victor Frankenstein to create a female to be his companion:

“If you consent, neither you nor any other human being shall ever see us again; I will go to the vast wilds of South America. My food is not that of man; I do not destroy the lamb and the kid to glut my appetite; acorns and berries afford me sufficient nourishment. My companion will be of the same nature as myself and will be content with the same fare. We shall make our bed of dried leaves; the sun will shine on us as on man and will ripen our food. The picture I present to you is peaceful and human, and you must feel that you could deny it only in the wantonness of power and cruelty. Pitiless as you have been towards me, I now see compassion in your eyes; let me seize the favourable moment and persuade you to promise what I so ardently desire.”

Link: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/she...chapter17.html

Mary Shelley's original Frankenstein novel is not really about a monster. It's about an individual brought to life with absolutely no family, with no upbringing, and with a physical appearance that people were horrified by. The novel describes the miserable life and desperate/violent actions of one such individual.

In the actual Frankenstein novel, the "monster" does not walk in a clumsy, lumbering way. Just the opposite - he is describe as being extremely fleet and quiet.

In the novel, the "monster" does not groan incomprehensibly. Just the opposite - he is an articulate speaker.

Tom, Werewolf Girl, Purp and 2 others like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-21-2016 at 09:39 PM.
#14 Old 10-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Vegan since 1991

We don't get that many trick-or-treaters, so one year I handed out full boxes of new crayons to the kids. I wasn't sure they would like them, but they seemed really surprised and delighted. Something about a brand-new box of crayons . . .

At Target and other online websites, you can buy crayons pretty cheap: http://www.target.com/p/crayola-cray...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Crayola crayon company has an enormous solar electricity installation, and it uses recycled plastics in its colored markers: http://www.crayola.com/about-us/comp...itiatives.aspx

"Prang" brand crayons are made with soybean oil:

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-22-2016 at 08:13 AM.
#15 Old 10-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

I read Frankenstein when I was about 16 and had been vegetarian for a few years at that point. I was so captivated by the monster and so touched by his compassion. That book is more of a tragedy than a horror story.
Tom, Purp and David3 like this.

#16 Old 10-22-2016, 12:09 PM
imagineaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
someone on Facebook mentioned buying some nonfood items from the Dollar Store, like little toy trinkets, and passing those out. I thought it sounded like a good idea, but my partner doesn't think kids would go for that. So IDK.
I always buy a packet of non-food things to give out, usually Halloween pencils or glow sticks--they get a choice between candy and that. The non-food things are always very popular and gone before the candy is. One kid practically had tears of joy because he was diabetic and had no other treats for himself, just watching all the other kids collect candy. Another kid said he doesn't like candy and was so excited to get something else. And others just prefer it over more candy, for whatever reason.
#17 Old 10-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on the neighborhood they can get a TON of candy!
I think I'll see what I can get, wish I thought about non candy items when just at the Dollar Tree!
Maybe I can find those plastic spider rings! I liked those!

I have Sour Patch Kids (both kids and watermelon patch!) and Smarties! Both vegan, and cheap. I always loved those candies
David3 and Thalassa like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#18 Old 10-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Halloween is tomorrow! Last chance to make spooky vegan snacks!

Witchy Guacamole Dip: http://www.forkandbeans.com/2015/10/...guacamole-dip/

Vegan Chocolate Mummy Cupcakes: http://www.veganosity.com/vegan-choc...ummy-cupcakes/

Raw Halloween Ghostie Brownies: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...bfbc-106409237

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Spiderweb Brownies: http://beamingbaker.com/chocolate-pe...ee-dairy-free/

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Cake With Ginger: http://www.frieddandelions.com/pumpk...e-cake-ginger/

#19 Old 10-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by troi View Post
I always buy a packet of non-food things to give out, usually Halloween pencils or glow sticks--they get a choice between candy and that. The non-food things are always very popular and gone before the candy is. One kid practically had tears of joy because he was diabetic and had no other treats for himself, just watching all the other kids collect candy. Another kid said he doesn't like candy and was so excited to get something else. And others just prefer it over more candy, for whatever reason.
I found out today that a teal pumpkin decoration symbolizes non-food treats. Like paint a pumpkin teal and put it by the front door. This helps kids with food allergies (and diabetes) know where they can safely trick or treat.

There should be something cool like that to signify vegan treats lol.

I also found out good news, that the New York Haunted Hayride is owned by the same lady who owns the LA Haunted Hayride, which equals bi-coastal holiday plant based, no fur Halloween fun.

Ingrid Newkirk
#20 Old 10-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope everyone had a good Halloween.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#21 Old 11-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Peace

I used to post in this thread every year!

Am a bit late to the party this time, but I will still post what I did for Halloween as I actually had a party this year.

I invited a Canadian friend who lives here and my mom , and we had a vegetarian potluck meal.

I made an Indian inspired pumpkin soup, my friend a vol au vent with pastries, and my mom made a Spanish orange and almond cake. All of it was vegetarian.

We also had a party, though no one dressed up. After the party I went to the graveyard for a meditation walk at dusk to remember the dead and it was a very peaceful end to the day.

I had a great time
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page