5Likes
  • 2 Post By Kaitlyn_Moore
  • 2 Post By Dilettante
  • 1 Post By Symondezyn

#1 Old 09-26-2016, 05:24 AM
Fabulous

Question Vegan Stuffing

Hello all!
I was wondering if anyone had a good vegan stuffing recipe for thanksgiving.

-Kaitlyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Not sure if you're looking for something out of the box, but Stove Top brand "Turkey" flavor stuffing is vegan. Just make it with faux butter, like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
#3 Old 09-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
Not sure if you're looking for something out of the box, but Stove Top brand "Turkey" flavor stuffing is vegan. Just make it with faux butter, like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.
Actually stove top is not vegan here are Ingredients: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, ONIONS*, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, COOKED TURKEY AND TURKEY BROTH, YEAST, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, CELERY*, PARSLEY*, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SPICE, SUGAR, CARAMEL COLOR, MALTODEXTRIN, TURMERIC, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, WITH BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID, AND PROPYL GALLATE AS PRESERVATIVES. *DRIED.

So it has turkey and turkey broth meaning it has real meat in it sadly. I'd prefer a box mix but I do love cooking from scratch so if anyone know's a recipe that'd be great!
-Kaitlyn
jocelyn3113 and troi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry, you're right about Stove Top. I was misremembering. However, Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing mix is vegan. I looked up the ingredients just now.
jocelyn3113 and troi like this.
#5 Old 09-27-2016, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

I use different bagged croutons for stuffing and always read the labels. I even save some for salads as most (almost all) salad croutons have dairy.

I add some olive oil, and lots and lots of sauteed veggies, olives, walnuts, apple, and water chestnuts. If not served with cranberry sauce, I like a few dried cranberries.

Reminds me of when I made stuffing over portabellos with a sauce and called it Portabello mushroom divan. I posted that in the recipe section

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 09-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Beginner

If your in Canada safeway had one last year, it was good too! Vegetarian (not positive it was vegan) for the life of me I can't remember what it was called! It was in a brown box though and not a single stovetop here is vegetarian nevermind vegan...
#7 Old 09-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Plant Powered

The stuffing I always made from scratch before going vegan could be easily converted by using vegan butter: bread crumbs, butter, celery, onions, warm stock or water, poultry spice, salt & pepper. It's so simple but really savoury and delicious - the trick is using lots of butter LOL I suppose if you really wanted a meaty stuffing you could add vegan sausage or some tempeh but I prefer it plain myself ^_^
aimtobevegan likes this.
#8 Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

This is my favorite vegan stuffing recipe. It uses Ezekiel sprouted bread (found in the freezer section of groceries). You could probably substitute with another whole wheat dense bread if you don't have access to it:

EZEKIEL BREAD ROSEMARY STUFFING

SAVE

PRINT
PREP TIME
30 mins
COOK TIME
40 mins
TOTAL TIME
1 hour 10 mins

This stuffing gets great flavor from the celery & onions, but feel free to substitute any vegetables of your choice. It would also be excellent with the addition of nuts or cranberries. Fresh herbs are really important to this recipe. I am usually a big fan of dried herbs as they are easier to work with, but here I recommend that you spring for the fresh ones. (It is Thanksgiving, after all!)

Serves: 8 side dish servings

INGREDIENTS

14 slices Ezekiel Bread (or 1lb or other whole wheat bread)
2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed Meal
5 Tbsp warm water
2 Large yellow onions, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
1½ cups vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large casserole dish.
Tear bread into 1 inch pieces. Put in rimmed baking sheet and dry out in the oven. Stir occasionally and check to see if the pieces are dried out. Set aside in a large bowl.
Make two flax eggs- mix 2 Tbsp flax seed meal & 5 Tbsp warm water in a small bowl and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
Chop up onions and celery. Heat up a skillet with the olive oil and cook the onion and celery for 10 minutes or until soft and translucent.
Combine cooked onion & celery with the minced fresh herbs, salt & pepper, flax eggs, dried bread pieces from earlier, and vegetable broth. Mix well and put into greased casserole dish.
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
Serve as a side dish. This recipe can be made ahead as the recipe is written, cooled, chilled, and reheated (covered) in the oven at 350.

http://thrivingevergreen.com/ezekiel...mary-stuffing/

I use WAY less oil than the recipe calls for (like one or two tablespoons tops. I also add dried cranberries to the stuffing after everything is done for an extra kick. Sometimes I add peas or white beans to the mix to make it more of a meal.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 PM
imagineaa

I use Peppridge Farms cornbread stuffing mix. I see nothing non-vegan in the ingredients.

I have told this story before, but here it is again. One Thanksgiving, I made it totally from scratch. I made the cornbread a few days ahead, cut it up and let it dry, then made every single thing from fresh ingredients--fresh herbs, fresh cut onions, etc.

You know what? It tasted exactly like Peppridge Farms cornbread stuffing. That was the last time I made it from scratch.

Tags
stuffing , thanksgiving recipes , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page