VeggieBoards banner

Best State for Vegan Food

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  katebrownell 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! Jonathan recently travelled to a few different states in America to do auditions for doctorate programmes- check out the vlog! He was in Boulder Colorado, Austin Texas, and Memphis Tennessee. Which state do you think we should move to? Which area is the most vegan friendly? Please check out the video and let us know!

#4 ·
Anymore I think it depends on what part of the state.

tl:dr 20 years ago I would have thought that it was a state issue, but living in Oklahoma which like Texas is a big beef growing state there are tons more vegan options for us. Dallas / Ft Worth have several vegan restaurants, and here in OKC / Norman we even have a couple vegan food trucks / bakeries which do really well. One of the vegan food trucks even just started a kickstarter campaign to open a vegan restaurant (which won't be the first veggie restaurant here). Most places I go to have at least one vegan item on the menu and I am no longer looked at like I am speaking a foreign language when I say I am a vegan in a restaraunt, in fact most waiters know, are or have dated a vegan. Now if I would go to one of the restaraunts in the surrounding small towns I live in (I do live out in the country) it might be harder for me to find vegan options, depending on where I go because there is a local hamburger/ice cream chain that also has a small grocery store attached to it and I can buy a frozen vegan Amy's enchilada there.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm glad you seem to think Colorado is the best of the three, we definitely would like to move there. I got the best vegan vibe there, too (although I've heard that areas like Colorado Springs can be very conservative). I can't wait to hear back from the DMA schools, if they give me the help I need to go, we'll hopefully be moving to Boulder in the fall. Very exciting!

#9 ·
I have to vote for California, although it's not on your list. :) Here in SoCal it's IMPOSSIBLE to do anything or go anywhere without seeing veg*n restaurants, stores, fast food places, etc.

Regarding Texas: When I went veg in 1988, I was living in Dallas. Talk about a MISERABLE environment for a compassionate lifestyle. :eek: EVERYTHING had dead animals in it, from green beans to potatoes and everything in between. We were constantly explaining to restaurant servers that, no, taking out the chunks of animal flesh from an order of green beans does NOT magically make it vegetarian.

However, I see that Austin is on your list. I understand that it has turned into something of a veg*n oasis in its otherwise meat-oriented state. So if you're okay with a state that has an ultra-conservative political and social climate, but can live in its one bastion of forward thinking and veg*n friendly, Austin, it should be a good choice!

#10 ·
So if you're okay with a state that has an ultra-conservative political and social climate, but can live in its one bastion of forward thinking and veg*n friendly, Austin, it should be a good choice!
We've actually finally decided to go to Boulder, CO, and are super excited about it! We should hopefully be moving there in August. However, Austin probably would have been our second choice. I know what you mean about Dallas- when I was in Memphis it was the same situation. I couldn't even believe that people in the world actually existed in such a conservative environment. There wasn't a single healthy item in the local shop where I was staying, never mind any vegan-friendly places!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.