Swedish Christmas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

This will be my first Christmas as a vegetarian and I really need some recipe inspiration. A Swedish Christmas dinner consists of a buffé of different meats and fish (ham, sausages, meatballs, different flavours of pickled herring, gravad lax, liver pâté...). At least in my family, the vegetarian options are potatoes, kale and cheese. Maybe some fresh vegetables and bread. I'm planning to bring hazelnut balls for everyone but other than that, I have no idea what I'm going to eat. I'm not a big fan of fake meats, which of course makes everything a lot trickier.

Basically, I need some kind of protein or something to replace all the meats and fishes, the pickled herring especially. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Banned

Would kimchi or sauerkraut be any good as a replacement for the pickled fish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

Nut loaf/roast is a good protein source if you don't like meat replacements.  Mushroom pate could replace the liver pate (assuming you like mushrooms!).

#3 Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Banned

http://survivinglifeinsweden.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/5-vegetarian-dishes-for-very-merry.html

(^^^^ shame about the comment at the bottom though)

1. Baked Swede – A substitute ham – The centerpiece of the Swedish Christmas table is the ham. OK, so Tofurkey has scared off many a meateater from vegetarian substitutes. Instead of ham, I prepare a breaded swede or rotebega. In the past I have boiled my swede in a vegetable boullion. This year I might bake it instead, since the flavours are better. Then I baste it in egg with a click of mustard, and then roll it in bread crumbs. This slices up nicely and looks a bit like ham. It doesn't taste anything like ham though.

2. Vegetarian Swedish meatballs – OK, so this is a bit of a shake-up. If you like fake meat products, just buy a box. I make mine from scratch with chickpeas, breadcrumbs and an egg – for consistancy. I flavour it with traditional Swedish meatball spices like nutmeg – and a Swedish allspice we have at home. I used a basic falafel recipe and changed the spices.

3. Eggplant 'herring' – I pickle some eggplant to mimic herring. One of the common herrings is mustard herring. To mimic this I take a few tablespoons of mustard, a dash of white wine vinegar, 2 dashes of canola oil, half a cup of cream, salt and pepper. I use this to cover small strips of eggplant that I have steamed in my steamer. (I cut the eggplant to about the same width as herring). Place in glass jar and let chill in the refrigerator.

4. Jonssons Temptation -without the temptation – traditionally this is a potato casserole with some anchovis mixed in. I serve just a plain potato casserole as this dish. Any respectable recipe will do

5. Rice cereal – this is one of those few vegetraian dishes on the menu – I have seen it served as a starter or a dessert. In my home we cheat and use rice flakes that you can find in Swedish stores. This takes about 15 minutes to prepare. Here is a basic recipe  if you cannot find the flakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks a lot QV, those sound like nice substitutes. The mushroom pâté especially! I love mushrooms. Do you recommend any particular recipe? I'm definitely going to try the eggplant thingy too, with garlic instead of mustard. Or maybe some kimchee. Will have to think about that one lol.

#5 Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I eat this easy peasy recipe often, usually on bread, butv the pate is good on crackers, too.
#6 Old 12-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

#7 Old 12-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm, thank you!

#8 Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

So here's my final menu:

Starter (instead of fish)

Grilled aubergine with the same sauce as gravad lax (hovmästarsås, don't know what a good translation would be)

mushroom pâté

maybe some bread?

Main course (instead of meat)

hazelnut balls

lemon-soy marinated tofu

fake ham

creamed kale

potatoes

Dessert (same as the omnis)

fruit salad

chocolate

#9 Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie182 View Post

So here's my final menu:

Starter (instead of fish)

Grilled aubergine with the same sauce as gravad lax (hovmästarsås, don't know what a good translation would be)

mushroom pâté

maybe some bread?

Main course (instead of meat)

hazelnut balls

lemon-soy marinated tofu

fake ham

creamed kale

potatoes

Dessert (same as the omnis)

fruit salad

chocolate

Sounds great, enjoy! :thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page