Anyone have any happy Thanksgiving day stories? Mine was kind of a fail - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Zelda Freak

We usually have Thanksgiving at my aunt's house, but my aunt was kind of stressed out this year, so I said we can have it at my house. 

It was okay, but there was a lot that also was not okay about it.

This was my first vegan Thanksgiving. My family has managed to be semi-decent about my vegetarian Thanksgivings for over 15 years, but apparently vegan went a little too far for them to deal with because almost all of them made stupid comments yesterday.

The most annoying comment was this one: "Vegan is French for weird" then the person who said it would laugh. Then she'd say it again about 10 minutes later like she hit on some real good joke. She thought it was hilarious. Me, not so much - not to mention it made no sense. 

Then my aunt started bugging me about how me going vegan was weird because I hate tofurkey - one year about 11 years ago she bought a tofurkey for Thanksgiving (she was trying to be decent) but I don't like it, and she never lets me forget that she went out of her way and then I snubbed it. 

People complained about the soy milk, which was in fact very odd because although I did just recently go vegan, I've drank plant-based milks for most of my life so this was nothing new to anyone. People complained because there was no butter or cheese in the house. 

Someone said, vegan is just a marketing ploy to get you to spend money. To which I said, "Um, meat is REALLY expensive - it costs way more than veggie food" to which I was told, "It costs delicious!" HUH?

I made vegan stuffing and they freaked saying we have to have regular stuffing - which someone had brought, so they all ate that, not even trying the vegan kind, which was good by the way. 

It was kind of a frustrating day. Especially since I tried to be VERY accommodating. I cleaned my whole house AND cooked almost everything AND even let someone bring turkey, which everyone but my son and me ate. I did not go off about dead animals or any graphic stuff about their meat and milk and such, but they all just went on and on about my food. 

All I said about my diet was that I feel a lot better since going vegan. I was trying to be nice and not obnoxious. So it was really annoying that they all were being obnoxious to me. 

On the plus side, I guess it was nice to see everyone and my boyfriend and oddly my son's dad both tried all the vegan food and were really cool about the vegan stuff, so that's two people who didn't make fun of vegan. 

I think it'll be a long time before I host (or at this point attend) another family meal. I'm voting everyone off the island :( 

Does anyone have any good Thanksgiving day stories? It would be really nice to hear some positive stuff. 

Move of Ten likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post
"Vegan is French for weird" 

Coming from France which very close to being vegans' hell, I appreciate the irony of it... Too bad it sucked. From what I'm reading everywhere, lot's of vegs are having hard times with their family this holiday season.

Hope you'll have a better time at Xmas?

#3 Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Ankle Biter

We had a pretty nice Thanksgiving. I was a bit sad about it before hand, since this was the first Thanksgiving I've spent without my son (my DIL is a nurse and had to work - they live 6 hours away, so it just didn't work for them to come down. sad.gif ) but it turned out okay. Everything I made, with a MAJOR EXCEPTION was super delicious.

The MAJOR EXCEPTION was my pumpkin pie. Seriously, this was the ugliest, most disgusting tasting pumpkin pie ever imaginable. I made the Pecan Praline Pumpkin Pie from this months's VegNews. I usually have excellent results cooking from VegNews, but this was a complete disaster. To top it all off, I had to go to Whole Foods, which is a 30 minute drive, to get agar agar flakes and kuzu root starch, which the recipe called for. It was horrible. I've read and re-read the recipe and I honestly don't think I made any mistakes. But this pie was a dark brown, kind of gelatinous, with a sticky, burnt-pecan tasting crust. It was foul.

Fortunately my mother brought an apple pie with was vegan and I had SoyaToo in the fridge!
Jennifer C likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry your day was a disappointment, Jen.

And sorry about the pie, Poppy.

This was my first Thanksgiving without my daughter...she and the kids have been sick for about a week now. sad.gif

Otherwise it was a very nice day, spent with my cousins and their families, my sister, niece and her son. My one cousin made two versions of everything...one vegan just for me! She is always so thoughtful. She will go out of her way to buy vegan subs, like EB, just so she can veganize certain dishes. My chickpea fritters were awesome. Yes, it was a very nice day, indeed. smiley.gif
Jennifer C likes this.
#5 Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Zelda Freak

Too bad about the pie Poppy - sometimes recipes are a drag. I'm glad the rest of your day was good though (minus your son missing - that must be hard). I made vegan pumpkin and apple pies and they turned out good, but I bought vegan whip cream at Whole Foods and it won't spray! We tried everything. I'm going to take it back because that's lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Otherwise it was a very nice day, spent with my cousins and their families, my sister, niece and her son. My one cousin made two versions of everything...one vegan just for me! She is always so thoughtful. She will go out of her way to buy vegan subs, like EB, just so she can veganize certain dishes. My chickpea fritters were awesome. Yes, it was a very nice day, indeed. smiley.gif

Awesome. That's really cool when people will go out of their way to one, get your diet and two support it. That's a nice Thanksgiving day story for sure. 

Thanks for the happy stories :) 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post

Coming from France which very close to being vegans' hell, I appreciate the irony of it... Too bad it sucked. From what I'm reading everywhere, lot's of vegs are having hard times with their family this holiday season.

Hope you'll have a better time at Xmas?

It seems like people are having a hard time. My boyfriend's daughter recently went vegetarian and though she asked for vegetarian main dish, just something easy like mock chicken or something, no one on her mom's side of the family got her anything.

She here today though with us and she really liked the Gardein turkey roast I got (we had a ton of leftovers). So tonight I had a nice vegan leftover Thanksgiving meal with the boyfriend and our three kids. It was MUCH nicer than yesterday and everyone ate happily with zero complaints - kids are awesome.

So, that's some good news.  

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#7 Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Extraordinary Thanksgiving, each year gets better than the one before, with nice omnivores going out of their way to bring plant-based food. I made and brought 2 pecan pies, "zucchini tots,"* a salad, and mushroom gravy (enough for myself and anyone who wanted to try it). My omnivore sister hosted. She made extra stuffing with no meat or meat juices, and she'd invited a couple who had just moved onto her block. That couple brought four side dishes. Because my sister had let them know a vegetarian would be coming (one person out of a total of ten), this couple made certain everyone there would be able to eat everything they brought. They even used marshmallows without gelatin in them. Because there'd be one vegetarian there, whom they'd never met. The woman of the couple is eating less and less meat these day, and is already a wonderful vegan cook -- and a brand new friend.

* baked in mini muffin tins, they're a mix of corn, shredded zucchini, shredded carrot, chopped onion, Ener-G, bread crumbs, flavored with taco seasoning powder and chipotle chili powder. Dip was combo of salsa and "Follow Your Heart" imitation sour cream.

karenlovessnow and Jennifer C like this.
#8 Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I had an ok Thanksgiving, it was just the 5 of us, and I just had a lot of sides and no turkey. Sorry to hear about your Thanksgiving, Jennifer. I wonder if I just adopted you for Thanksgiving weekend...

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

"I did not go off about dead animals or any graphic stuff about their meat and milk and such, but they all just went on and on about my food."

--- and there was part of the issue. They don't make the connection, and they won't ever unless someone shows them WHY you live the way you do. Believe me, I have heard this from people who used to think being vegan was "gay and for hippies" and from some who used to make fun of others who were veg, but when they saw the videos of where meat came from, they apologized and ended up not eating any more meat.

I think if they are bothering you that much about it, they are obviously ignorant, and you have an obligation to show them. After all, here you are trying to provide them a nice meal,( hell some people don't even get a meal on thanksgiving!), and all they could do was gripe. Shame on them, really. I'd send your friends and relatives copies of Earthlings, although it's not likely they'd watch it if you weren't around to get them to. If they hesitate, you should say "]if you are going to make insensitive comments about my new lifestyle, I think you ought to know more about and have a good handle about YOUR OWN first." If they take so much pride in their lifestyle, they wouldn't mind watching a video about all it contributes to, right? It probably would have been good to show them after you guys ate so that they could settle down, and at least they wouldn't feel threatened b/c they ate a vegan meal.

Meh, my thanksgiving was just meh. I can't complain. I didn't want a tofurky. I basically had leftover tofu and chinese from the other night. Didn't bother me. I was just thankful I wasn't the turkey my family was eating sad.gif
Jennifer C likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#10 Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad I've always done Thanksgiving with just my vegetarian parents and brother since the emphasis of the holiday is so much on the food. My brother is in Japan this year, though, so I just ate with the parents. We cooked while listening to music such as Sasha and Digweed, Kid Cudi and Nicole Westbrook, and then ate and watched "Looper" before dessert. It was pretty win.

karenlovessnow and Jennifer C like this.
#11 Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post

Because my sister had let them know a vegetarian would be coming (one person out of a total of ten), this couple made certain everyone there would be able to eat everything they brought. They even used marshmallows without gelatin in them. Because there'd be one vegetarian there, whom they'd never met. The woman of the couple is eating less and less meat these day, and is already a wonderful vegan cook -- and a brand new friend.

That is so neat! Glad you had such a successful and fun day :)

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#12 Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

"I did not go off about dead animals or any graphic stuff about their meat and milk and such, but they all just went on and on about my food."
--- and there was part of the issue. They don't make the connection, and they won't ever unless someone shows them WHY you live the way you do. Believe me, I have heard this from people who used to think being vegan was "gay and for hippies" and from some who used to make fun of others who were veg, but when they saw the videos of where meat came from, they apologized and ended up not eating any more meat.
I think if they are bothering you that much about it, they are obviously ignorant, and you have an obligation to show them. After all, here you are trying to provide them a nice meal,( hell some people don't even get a meal on thanksgiving!), and all they could do was gripe. Shame on them, really. I'd send your friends and relatives copies of Earthlings, although it's not likely they'd watch it if you weren't around to get them to. If they hesitate, you should say "]if you are going to make insensitive comments about my new lifestyle, I think you ought to know more about and have a good handle about YOUR OWN first." If they take so much pride in their lifestyle, they wouldn't mind watching a video about all it contributes to, right? It probably would have been good to show them after you guys ate so that they could settle down, and at least they wouldn't feel threatened b/c they ate a vegan meal.
Meh, my thanksgiving was just meh. I can't complain. I didn't want a tofurky. I basically had leftover tofu and chinese from the other night. Didn't bother me. I was just thankful I wasn't the turkey my family was eating sad.gif

Yeah, I get it, but the reason I didn't go off on them at a family meal is because I think it's rude. I don't want people bugging me about food while I'm eating, and I'd guess others don't like it either. 

I'm willing to discuss the harsher stuff about food to a point, but not at a meal. Of course, apparently I'm kind of alone in this train of thought because as noted some of the others had zero issue talking about my food during a meal. But, I also don't want to sink to that level. 

I'll admit though that I don't do enough when it comes to talking about animal issues and where food comes from because I have "animal-sensitive" individuals in my family who freak out and refuse to talk to me if I bring it up. So I do need to work on how to better bring this issue up, but I still wouldn't do it during a meal. 

Leftover chinese is okay, but I'd miss all the sides. That's the best deal about Thanksgiving, so many cool sides. I'm not a tofurkey fan, so I'm usually glad to hear when others aren't. I don't get the tofurkey deal. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page