Vegetarian Thanksgiving can be every bit as traditional, and comforting, as one with turkey - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/vegetarian-thanksgiving-can-be-every-bit-as-traditional-_-and-comforting-_-as-one-with-turkey/2012/11/01/707301d6-2450-11e2-92f8-7f9c4daf276a_story.html
Quote:
Vegetarians have long known a Thanksgiving secret the rest of us are reluctant to admit — it’s all about the side dishes.

Think about it. Once you’ve taken the obligatory slice of turkey, a dutiful spoonful of gravy and maybe haggled a bit over the dark meat, what you really want is more stuffing. More mashed anything. More syrupy sweet potatoes. And definitely more pie. Pie of any kind.

“Absence of turkey can be a very positive thing,” says New York Times food columnist Mark Bittman, whose upcoming book, “VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00,” is dedicated to learning to make do with less meat. “Most people have roughly 360 dinners a year that have ‘absence of turkey.’ We eat it on Thanksgiving because we’re supposed to.”

This is a great article! I think the inflatable turkey centrepiece idea is a little silly but I love all the suggestions for vegetable dishes (all easy to veganize for those of us who don't eat dairy) and I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to bring on the fat and creamy things and GRAVY. It's a celebration so you may as well enjoy yourself, especially if it helps convince your omni relatives that veg*n food is amazing. drool.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Zelda Freak

That was a good article. I also didn't like the fake turkey deal though. This year I've seen a rash of vegetarian and vegan Thanksgiving articles where they recommend some sort of fake - plastic/paper/stuffed turkey on the table. I don't get it. 

I don't keep pretend meat on my table at other times. Like a fake plastic slab of ham or cow on my table, you know, to feel, what? More normal? Who does that? 

I think it's REALLY weird if you're vegetarian and have some pretend symbolic meat on the table. SO weird. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#3 Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

That was a good article. I also didn't like the fake turkey deal though. This year I've seen a rash of vegetarian and vegan Thanksgiving articles where they recommend some sort of fake - plastic/paper/stuffed turkey on the table. I don't get it. 

I don't keep pretend meat on my table at other times. Like a fake plastic slab of ham or cow on my table, you know, to feel, what? More normal? Who does that? 

I think it's REALLY weird if you're vegetarian and have some pretend symbolic meat on the table. SO weird. 

I think a cool centerpiece would be a cornucopia of fruit and vegetables would be good as a centerpiece.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I think a cool centerpiece would be a cornucopia of fruit and vegetables would be good as a centerpiece.

Yes or flowers. I like flowers for special events :) Or candles. Not meat though.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#5 Old 11-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Agreed, that sounds WAY more appropriate for a veg Thanksgiving tongue3.gif

I think I may have to have a second one because of this thread, in Canada we have ours in October but now I want roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes and gravy and pie... lick.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Agreed, that sounds WAY more appropriate for a veg Thanksgiving tongue3.gif
I think I may have to have a second one because of this thread, in Canada we have ours in October but now I want roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes and gravy and pie... lick.gif

Second one! Thanksgiving food is so good - we eat a lot of that sort of food year round. I read once that due to all the veggies, Thanksgiving is actually one of the days when Americans eat the most healthfully. 

I'm actually practicing vegan pumpkin pie today. I always make the pies for the family, but usually I've made pumpkin pie filling traditionally with eggs, so today I'm practicing pie sans eggs.

I got distracted though because I had some excess apples so I made homemade pop tarts...

The I got more distracted and made peach and blueberry pop tarts too. 

BUT I swear I'll make some pumpkin pie soon today. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#7 Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Turkey has always seemed totally stupid for have at a dinner that includes more sides than ANY other day!

1) It takes all kinds of prep.

2) Leaves bacteria that only meat can leave in the sink, and on the counter. You can't do anything until everything is cleaned thoroughly.

3) Takes up the entire oven.

4) With all mess of extra guests, and all the other extra food to put away, you're left with a dead carcass no one want to touch.

5) Turkey rarely comes out as good as anyone remembers anyway, and causes bickering.

6) There's just too much great, traditional stuff that's vegetarian, and easily made vegan.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 11-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

That tart looks so good Jennifer! Did you make the crust? and how?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#9 Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

It was really good. I was thinking of making puff pastry, but was worried the fruit would leak, and I'm not too sure of how to make puff pastry. That said, I made a basic vegan pie crust then folded it over about 5 times, rolled it out, then repeated a few times to make it more layered. 

They turned out amazing. I'm going to post the recipe here soon. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#10 Old 11-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Ankle Biter

drool.gif Vegan poptarts!!!

I have one of those old-fashioned, honey-comb paper turkeys that I pull out every Thanksgiving. I like to be reminded of what I'm not eating.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#11 Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

It was really good. I was thinking of making puff pastry, but was worried the fruit would leak, and I'm not too sure of how to make puff pastry. That said, I made a basic vegan pie crust then folded it over about 5 times, rolled it out, then repeated a few times to make it more layered. 

They turned out amazing. I'm going to post the recipe here soon. 

Soon? How soon? Like, tomorrow soon? grin.gif
#12 Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Like now - https://www.veggieboards.com/a/homemade-vegan-organic-toaster-pastries :) 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#13 Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

drool.gif Vegan poptarts!!!
I have one of those old-fashioned, honey-comb paper turkeys that I pull out every Thanksgiving. I like to be reminded of what I'm not eating.

That would be one good reason to have a fake turkey I suppose. To remind you of what not to eat but I think I'd still find it weird.

Fake meat stuff kind of weirds out veggie kids too. When Cedar was in daycare at age four he came home with a paper hand turkey, because all the kids had to make them. He didn't quite get it having been vegetarian since birth. He just thought it was some nature/animal/farm project, not anything associated with a holiday, until the staff said something about eating turkey on Thanksgiving. It didn't freak Cedar out, but I remember him asking about it and thinking it was really weird.

This was in the good old days though, before we had Thanksgiving with everyone else in the family who eats turkey. Now he gets the ol' turkey association. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#14 Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Like now - https://www.veggieboards.com/a/homemade-vegan-organic-toaster-pastries smiley.gif 

That looks so good! Thanks for posting! drool.gif

#15 Old 11-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Like now - https://www.veggieboards.com/a/homemade-vegan-organic-toaster-pastries :) 

Haha...awesome! Thanks!
#16 Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Someone just posted this on reddit, now this is the kind of turkey centrepiece I'd love to have:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page