4th of July - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM

So what will you guys in the US be having on your 4th of July barbecues?  I've never made burgers from seitan, so i'm thinking about trying to do that...  or hot dogs.  (Anyone have a good recipe for either of those?)  If I'm lazy then I will have a portobello mushroom burger :-D  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got some Boca burgers in the freezer.

I'm not going to have a cookout, but I'll make one for myself. ^.^

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#3 Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Impeach the gangster

I couldn't wait. I had hot dogs (Smartdogs) and baked beans.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

My 4th of July BBQ menu: gardein beefless burgers, vegan hot dogs, grilled zucchini, vegan kabobs, corn on the cob, fruit salad, vegan chili, grilled green beans, potato salad, chips and guacamole/salsa, iced tea, and beer.

The gardien beefless burgers will get a good slather of BBQ sauce before they go on the grill.

The notdogs will probably be steamed (since they're for the kids and kids tend to whine about char marks).

The zukes are just getting some oil, salt, and pepper on em. Same for the green beans.

The kabobs are marinating right now in terriaki sauce.

The corn is going to get some cajun seasoning.

Fruits got lemon juice and agave drizzled on top.

Chili is a pre-made mix.

Potato salad was just poatoes, vegenaise, spicy mustard and a few green herbs plus salt and pepper.

Guac will have cilantro and green onion, salt, as well as some lime juice and maybe a bit of salsa.

#5 Old 07-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

That sounds delicious! grin.gif

We are going to the beach today to celebrate the 4th, and I'm toting a ridiculous amount of stuff. juggle.gif We're going to be there for a long time, through the fireworks tonight. Foodwise, I have Gardein big burgers, too, corn on the cob, potatoes I prebaked a little, skewers of veggies and fruit that my daughter mariinated last night (huge white mushrooms, pineapple, red peppers, chunks of sweet potato and some other stuff.)  There are little charcoal grills there for that stuff. i also have a few adorable little watermelons that are practically personal sized. My cousin is bringing some veggie dogs, the rolls for the fake meats, some bean salad and green salad of some kind. I have a huge cooler of drinks and ice, too. The fireworks over the water are always fun, though sometimes the sunset over the Gulf is even prettier. I'm grateful today to live in a society where I'm free, safe, and able to have such a wonderful celebration.

#6 Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM

all of your foods sound delicious!  I'm not really doing much today.  I'm having an at home kind of thing with my non veggie friends.  But we are all eating vegan pasta salad and cole slaw and then they will have burgers and hot dogs.  I'll have veggie versions of I can't decide between hot dogs or hamburgers!  And I'm going to watch TV all day and be lazy.  Then for dessert I have coconut ice cream. 

#7 Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Vegetarian

I'm barbecuing with my omnivore family interesting enough though, my mom only for some salmon in the way of meat. Everything else is vegan. She seems interested in cutting back her meat intake ever since I turned vegetarian. She's close, I swear...

Anyway, I got vegan sausages, tofu, pineapple, asparagus, mushrooms and some other veggies. The menu is looking good!

#8 Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

We had a fun little party and the food was great. One friend brought brownies and another brought vodka. We ate then went swimming. The kids had a blast. Boy I'm tired!
#9 Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Banned

My Dog's loud barking has a much better tone than the stupid fireworks popping he's competing with.

#10 Old 07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not American, but this looks delicious:

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#11 Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

What are the stars made from? What do you think?
#12 Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I found it on reddit, the person who made it said:
Quote:
They're raw fruit bars: I made the crust out of dates, macadamia nuts, almonds, and whole oats chopped up in the food processor, then piled the fruit on top. I cut the stars out of the same white peaches I used for the stripes. They are marvelous!

LINK

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#13 Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

My 4th of July BBQ menu: ... corn on the cob.

The corn is going to get some cajun seasoning.

You might try spreading Ume Plum Paste on corn on the cob. That's what the veggies & macros often do in Nashville. It's kind of salty, but quite tasty IMHO.
#14 Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I think apples? That looks fantastic!

We had tons of extra food from our celebration, and we were at a public beach, so we ended up giving out vegan hot dogs to random hungry kids watching the fireworks (parents' permissions of course!) I talked to some of the moms about the dogs. Of course I know how hungry kids get at the beach, and hunger is the best spice, so of course they loved them! wink3.gifgrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page