A Couple of Post-Tofurky Day Food Questions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope everyone who celebrated Tofurky Day yesterday had a great day with lots of good veg*an food and good company!

My parents' housekeeper, who does all the cooking for my parents now, is a very nice person. I brought to my parents' house a vegan entree (not Tofurky, something else from Trader Joe's), and the housekeeper made sure that all the side dishes were vegetarian, including making some extra stuffing just for me, which she made separate in a pot. She said she added some water to it to keep it moist because she didn't have vegetable broth, but when I've made vegetarian stuffing in the past and added vegetable broth, it turned out too soggy (my sister, a pescetarian, has had the same problem). The stuffing I had last night was still very dry, but adding plenty of cranberry sauce to it improved it.

But what if you're at a dinner where there is a finite amount of cranberry sauce and you have to share it with a lot of other people? For those of you who make vegetarian stuffing, how do you keep it from being either too dry or too soggy? (Omnis who eat regular stuffing made inside a turkey don't have this problem because that stuffing absorbs the juices from the turkey - sorry for that mental image).

I took home the rest of the vegetarian stuffing, along with plenty of other vegetarian leftovers and lots of cranberry sauce. Every year when I do this, I always finish off everything but the cranberry sauce right away. Once you finish off all of the other leftovers and all you have left is cranberry sauce (and sometimes lots of it), what the heck do you do with the rest of the cranberry sauce?

ETA: I should add that this is GOOD cranberry sauce made from actual fresh cranberries, not from a can. So it's well worth keeping around to use up in some way.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

I eat cranberry sauce with everything! If it's fresh- just cranberries, water and sugar- no juice or other fruits- boiled until it gets all jellied - love, love. love it

I sautee the onions and celery with a good amount of olive oil before adding to the broth and stuffing mix. Some mushroom gravy and lots of cranberries- pretty good stuff.

I wanted to try my old spinach ball recipe with tofu instead of eggs but didn't get to it- anyone know what I mean? I used two packs of chopped spinach to 4 cups stuffing mix with 3 beaten eggs and made balls and baked them. Tofu in there sounded good.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I am having these issues as well!! Last year my stuffing turned out really soggy and this year it was super dry so I did exactly the same thing you did by adding the cranberry sauce to it.

I think my problem last year was that I used homemade bread cubes that weren't crispy/hard enough so that's why it got soggy. I also used veggie broth instead of water but I'm not sure if that contributed to it because I used it again this year and the stuffing was too dry. I didn't use homemade bread cubes this year though but instead used a bag of "accidently vegan" bagged stuffing. I didn't cook it in the pot though but baked it so I'm assuming that's where my mistake was. I just figured it'd turn out the same plus there wasn't any more space left on top of the stove for me to cook it.

I also have a ton of leftover cranberry sauce. I've been using it as a condiment for wraps/sandwiches and as a jam/jelly for the biscuits I made yesterday. I was thinking of adding it to oatmeal tomorrow for breakfast as well. I'm basically adding it to everything and anything. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be cranberried out by the time I've used it all up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Ankle Biter

Cranberry sauce? Top vegan cream cheese with it and spread on crackers or bagels - it's divine!

I make my stuffing from scratch, and always make it the day ahead so that the flavors have a chance to blend. And I make a huge amount because it's, well, kind of famous around here! But by making it the day ahead, it's easy to adjust. If it's too moist, then bake it without any sort of covering so it has a chance to dry out. If it's too dry, add some hot water or veggie broth/water mix and stir it in as it's heating. We tend to like our stuffing on the moist side. I also make vegan gravy to pour all over the stuffing, mashed potatoes and "turkey" - this year it was Celebration Roast, which was great.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 11-28-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned

omni stuffing has a lot of fat in it either from being inside a turkey (i hope people still don't do this it is so dangerous!), from the turkey gizzards, or sausage. so to counteract dry stuffing and you need fat. extra olive oil works ok, a few squares of vegan margarine on top of the stuffing helps too. I sauteed mushrooms in a lot of oil and garlic and added that to my stuffing this year, it was perfect

i like cranberry sauce on top of pie. its also good mixed into oatmeal
#6 Old 11-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I have no issues with either soggy or dry stuffing. I use Pepperidge Farms with half as much fat as it calls for and unchicken broth and celery and fresh parsley, then I bake it in the oven in a casserole dish for about a half an hour.

Insofar as the cranberry sauce -- I like it with chickpea cutlets.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

One of my favourite cranberry recipes is to get a defrosted quorn roast (its kind of like a supersize sausage if you've never seen one. Then I roll some pastry to just under half a cm thick, and spread with cranberry sauce, (and caramelised onions if you share my wierd taste buds). You need quite a thick layer of cranberry to ensure the roast is moist enough.
Wrap the roast with the pastry, and bake til it looks done. It makes a quorn wellington type of product, which is delicious served in slices etc with veg, potatoes etc.

I have also found it safe to cook, slice and freeze the slices again to defrost individually at a convenient time, but I doubt this would be officially recommended as the quorn roast comes frozen, so its a bit of a re-freezing job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page