HOLIDAYS - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello! I know it's early to be thinking of Thanksgiving and Christmas but I am just curious about Veg*n holidays!! My first 4th of July as a Veg was easy for me to eat this way because there are sooo many yummy veggie salads to be made and grilled veggies are awesome etc. Granted I did have to bring almost 100% of my own food since most everything everyone else brings to BBQ's has something in it that isn't veg*n friendly but I still got to eat great and it worked out well.

However these other holidays have me nervous! Turkey (obviously), Gravy (still obvious) stuffing usually has chicken stock in it, mashed potatoes usually have butter, milk and whatever else in it soooo what do you do at holidays??

I'm thinking my only options are hosting it (which I don't want to do because I don't want to prepare a turkey -or ham for Christmas- and no one in my family eats this way or understands it) Or bring all or my own food again, if I don't want to get stuck eating only canned corn (that is the only thing that the IL's make that would be veg*n appropriate)

SO I am curious what do you do??

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Christmas is with family who do me vegan stuff...this year I'm gonna host it and do vegan for everyone (Grandad included)!

Don't do Thanksgiving or 4th of July in the UK (well no one I know does), I'd kind of wanna boycott 4th of July 'cuz of the whole 'white folks stealing land of the natives' thing.
#3 Old 07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Give peas a chance

I bring all my own in a microwavable tray, then right before dinner I'll warm it and flip it over on to a dinner plate. I try to make it similar to what everyone else is having but not exactly. I don't bring mashed potatoes because it invites someone to ask the question of why I brought my own and what is wrong with the mashed potatoes the host made. That might be a valid question, but I make a point not to discuss being veg while people are eating. So instead of mashed potatoes I bring a vegetable pilaf. Instead of corn, I'll bring a steamed vegetable mix. In place of turkey, I'll bring a little bit of tofurky or the vegan Trader Joes beef strips. And I try to make my plate aesthetically pleasing. I don't want people to think I am depriving myself or doing something nutritionally dangerous or that I am being a martyr.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo' date='28 July 2010 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1280339275' post='2679935 View Post

I bring all my own in a microwavable tray, then right before dinner I'll warm it and flip it over on to a dinner plate. I try to make it similar to what everyone else is having but not exactly. I don't bring mashed potatoes because it invites someone to ask the question of why I brought my own and what is wrong with the mashed potatoes the host made. That might be a valid question, but I make a point not to discuss being veg while people are eating. So instead of mashed potatoes I bring a vegetable pilaf. Instead of corn, I'll bring a steamed vegetable mix. In place of turkey, I'll bring a little bit of tofurky or the vegan Trader Joes beef strips. And I try to make my plate aesthetically pleasing. I don't want people to think I am depriving myself or doing something nutritionally dangerous or that I am being a martyr.

Thank you! ALso, genuinely curious, how does bringing your own mashed potatoes bring up the question about your beliefs but the rice pilaf and everything else, not bring it up? Also that is a good idea to not talk about it while others are eating. I haven't exactly "come out" to my family yet so I am nervous how it will all go, but I think I may make a point not to talk about it during meals, either. So then what do you usually say to politely tell them you don't want to answer while people are eating, if you do get asked?

#5 Old 07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrrah' date='28 July 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1280341166' post='2679953 View Post

I'll cook a big dish of something I can eat then bring the rest of my dinner in a microwavable container. Anytime we do a holiday gathering it's mostly potluck. So far the only comments I've gotten have been along the lines of "Why didn't you bring the rest of your food to share? I want some."

This is a good idea too. Thanks

#6 Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

There's some good advice here already but as another alternative, if whoever's hosting would be willing to let you help out in the kitchen, you could help them veganize as much as possible. Stuffing, for example, would be just as good with veggie stock and mashed potatoes are just as tasty with earth balance. Stuff like that. The turkey and gravy are pretty much unsalvageable but you can bring some tofurkey and mushroom gravy to microwave up shortly before the meal. Of course, this solution depends on your relationship with the hosts and how accommodating they're willing to be.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#7 Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist' date='28 July 2010 - 12:33 PM' timestamp='1280342032' post='2679964 View Post

There's some good advice here already but as another alternative, if whoever's hosting would be willing to let you help out in the kitchen, you could help them veganize as much as possible. Stuffing, for example, would be just as good with veggie stock and mashed potatoes are just as tasty with earth balance. Stuff like that. The turkey and gravy are pretty much unsalvageable but you can bring some tofurkey and mushroom gravy to microwave up shortly before the meal. Of course, this solution depends on your relationship with the hosts and how accommodating they're willing to be.

Oh man I wish!!! That sounds heavenly! We do holidays at the in-laws and MIL is the most stuck-in-her-ways person ever, this would never ever fly. lol. Although I could host it, make those things veganized and then tell them it's BYOT (bring your own turkey )

#8 Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Host your own or bring several of your own dishes. Or eat before hand and snack on the veggie tray. Or skip it altogether. Last year was the first time I skipped thanksgiving and it was actually kind of nice. Such a pointless holiday.
#9 Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222' date='28 July 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1280341294' post='2679956 View Post

Thank you! ALso, genuinely curious, how does bringing your own mashed potatoes bring up the question about your beliefs but the rice pilaf and everything else, not bring it up? Also that is a good idea to not talk about it while others are eating. I haven't exactly "come out" to my family yet so I am nervous how it will all go, but I think I may make a point not to talk about it during meals, either. So then what do you usually say to politely tell them you don't want to answer while people are eating, if you do get asked?

I should have mentioned I'm vegan. The people I spend the holidays with are aware of the vagaries of such a choice, but not the specifics. I assume they put butter and milk in mashed potatoes, which make it unsuitable for me. Most family think that would be something I would eat because they know I eat vegetables and potatoes are a vegetable. If I bring my own mashed potatoes to a meal where the host has prepared mashed potatoes, I think it might be interpreted as some kind of insult, like I am trying to show up the host or something. It invites conversation about the differences in the food. If I bring something different, like pilaf, it doesn't invite the same type of scrutiny. It's an odd dynamic that seems to work.

I don't tell people I don't want to talk about it. I usually just give a very brief answer to their questions. I don't go into much detail.

Food is like a religion in the US. The last thing people want on their high holy day as they are about to partake of the sacrament is for someone to march into their church and to announce their own atheism. I'm very low key. There are other times and places that are more appropriate for conversation about the ethics of food.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#10 Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo' date='28 July 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1280348403' post='2680006 View Post

I should have mentioned I'm vegan. The people I spend the holidays with are aware of the vagaries of such a choice, but not the specifics. I assume they put butter and milk in mashed potatoes, which make it unsuitable for me. Most family think that would be something I would eat because they know I eat vegetables and potatoes are a vegetable. If I bring my own mashed potatoes to a meal where the host has prepared mashed potatoes, I think it might be interpreted as some kind of insult, like I am trying to show up the host or something. It invites conversation about the differences in the food. If I bring something different, like pilaf, it doesn't invite the same type of scrutiny. It's an odd dynamic that seems to work.

I don't tell people I don't want to talk about it. I usually just give a very brief answer to their questions. I don't go into much detail.

Food is like a religion in the US. The last thing people want on their high holy day as they are about to partake of the sacrament is for someone to march into their church and to announce their own atheism. I'm very low key. There are other times and places that are more appropriate for conversation about the ethics of food.

Makes sense to me! (I thought you meant you tried to make your plate mimic everyone else's so that it might go unnoticed that you brought your own food, so I was confused about the potatoes )

#11 Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I love thanksgiving! my mom makes some of the stuffing w/ vegetable broth outside of the turkey for me, and there's tons of great veggies, bread etc, and whatever I bring on top of that. Maybe you could just 'help' whoever is hosting? make some potatoes w/ soy milk or something instead, make some stuffing in a pot. That way you're not asking them to go out of their way so much.
#12 Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumy' date='28 July 2010 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1280374580' post='2680141 View Post

I love thanksgiving! my mom makes some of the stuffing w/ vegetable broth outside of the turkey for me, and there's tons of great veggies, bread etc, and whatever I bring on top of that. Maybe you could just 'help' whoever is hosting? make some potatoes w/ soy milk or something instead, make some stuffing in a pot. That way you're not asking them to go out of their way so much.

Good idea! Thanks!

#13 Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 AM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m' date='28 July 2010 - 01:14 PM' timestamp='1280348080' post='2680003 View Post

Host your own or bring several of your own dishes. Or eat before hand and snack on the veggie tray. Or skip it altogether. Last year was the first time I skipped thanksgiving and it was actually kind of nice. Such a pointless holiday.

I did the same thing this past Thanksgiving. It was nice not having to deal with all of the "madness".

Then again, Im opposed to most holidays in general, as they are too commercialized and I feel their meanings have been lost...

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#14 Old 07-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Beginner

My MIL is pretty set in her ways for holidays, too, but she does make special dessert and mashed potatoes for me, and then I bring something like veggie pot pie that others will enjoy but I can eat as a main dish.

I would looove to host. Last year I hosted Thanksgiving with my family but my husband's family didn't come because they have plans with extended family and they cannot break tradition. HOWEVER this year I will be hosting AND be the mama of the first grandbaby of the family (due in Oct), so maybe that will lure my husband's parents over to our celebration. hahaha
#15 Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually do holidays at mom's house and she's about 95% vegan so she's very accommodating.

Tam! RUGH!
#16 Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222' date='29 July 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1280327820' post='2679863 View Post

SO I am curious what do you do??

if im hosting, its an all vegan dinner and no one is allowed to bring omni food into my house, they have to eat what i cook. if im eating at another family members house, they always provide something vegan & i usually take something along that ive made as well. and then theres some years, like this year, where my familys xmas dinner will be at a restaurant, so i arrange for the chef to cook me something vegan well in advance.
#17 Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo' date='28 July 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1280339275' post='2679935 View Post

I bring all my own in a microwavable tray, then right before dinner I'll warm it and flip it over on to a dinner plate.

That's exactly what I did when I lived near my family. Worked out perfectly. The best part is you have to make more than a single serving so you have your own delicious leftovers afterward

My #1 recommendation for the main course: Field Roast Celebration Roast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page