What are you doing for Valentine's Day? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea yet. I always like to give something that is creative and possibly partially homemade, but I haven't thought of anything romantic and cute yet...

Last year I made my bf a frame with a picture of us in the middle, and all around it were "Reasons Why I Love You." I also made cupcakes that looked like conversation hearts.

So far this year I have nothing. Anyone have any ideas?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea. And our 1 year is in February too. I've never dated someone who was 'into' V-Day before like my g/f is. I'm totally out of my league here. I need ideas like whoa!
#3 Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm working, and that's about it. Brian and I both hate V-day, so we decided not to celebrate it.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Neither I or my bf like celebrating Valentine's day, but our anniversary is around mid February anyway, so I'm with you for planning something timewise. Last year I made him a homemade card (we don't exchange gifts for anniversaries) in which I wrote why I think he's great, both as a person and as a bf. We went out for a nice meal in the evening. This year, I'm thinking of something along the same lines really, have a nice night out together, a meal at a nice veggie restaurant, stuff like that. It would also be nice to arrange to go to a storytelling event, or a theatre play (for us, at least).
#5 Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 AM
Zo

Are you already thinking of Valentine day? It's in one month! Good gosh, I'm feeling a little weird...and not concerned before the 13th February...

And, did you know that last year we even did our Valentine's day on the 16th? Yes, we had more time on that day! The only point was to have time to spend together, and prepare together a good meal. The only point in our Valentine's day is being together. The rest, I do not care, nor does Bear.

Please can you tell me how you celebrate Valentine's day (that it needs one month preparing)? What does it mean for you?
#6 Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoé View Post

Are you already thinking of Valentine day? It's in one month! Good gosh, I'm feeling a little weird...and not concerned before the 13th February...

And, did you know that last year we even did our Valentine's day on the 16th? Yes, we had more time on that day! The only point was to have time to spend together, and prepare together a good meal. The only point in our Valentine's day is being together. The rest, I do not care, nor does Bear.

Please can you tell me how you celebrate Valentine's day (that it needs one month preparing)? What does it mean for you?

Well, as I said, I like to do things that are creative and/or partially homemade, because I think they mean more. Other things I've done for his birthday, anniversary, etc, have been picture collages and homemade picture calendars, which I would order online and have to do so ahead of time so I got it in time, plus picking out pictures, etc. So if I need to prepare something, I can't start thinking about it on the 13th. Even those cupcakes required a bit of pre-planning.

I just like doing fun, romantic things, that's all. I enjoy that stuff. Why NOT make it a little more special? It's not some monumental day for me. We actually celebrated the weekend after last year, because we went away for the weekend to a cabin and the price was outrageous on actual Valentine's Day weekend. And I'm sure we won't do it on the 14th this year either because we usually can't see each other on Mondays.

I understand that some people don't give 2 sh!ts about Valentine's Day- and figured some would respond without any ideas, but I was really hoping that the people who do enjoy it might have some cute ideas to share.
#7 Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Zo

Okay. I was a little hard on you for this one. Just didn't get the homemade part and assumed (wrongly) that it was the ads and consumer society influence (this sort of gets me mad). Sorry.

I'm quite in romantic stuff and I do have some little attention all round the year. I did offer him once a diary where I did put every now and then the nice thought I had for him (we were living a part at that time). He still has it somewhere in a box...I also just did some heat shaped biscuits with notes on them (I purchased a special cookie shape cutter).

I also once put a lot of little notes spread all over the place (well it wasn't only for Valentine day is just romantic, when I leave for a while)...

For Valentine's day we usually prefer to cook together and just spend time together. This is our present for each other.
#8 Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoé View Post

Okay. I was a little hard on you for this one. Just didn't get the homemade part and assumed (wrongly) that it was the ads and consumer society influence (this sort of gets me mad). Sorry.

I'm quite in romantic stuff and I do have some little attention all round the year. I did offer him once a diary where I did put every now and then the nice thought I had for him (we were living a part at that time). He still has it somewhere in a box...I also just did some heat shaped biscuits with notes on them (I purchased a special cookie shape cutter).

I also once put a lot of little notes spread all over the place (well it wasn't only for Valentine day is just romantic, when I leave for a while)...

For Valentine's day we usually prefer to cook together and just spend time together. This is our present for each other.

It's okay, but thanks. That's more how I feel about Sweetest Day, which I think is only in Ohio and maybe a couple other states. I used to celebrate with bf's in high school, but now it's like, Oh yeah, it's Sweetest Day today? I'm not against it, but I don't really know anyone who cares about it past, maybe, college.

I love the idea of notes all around the place! I could do that for Valentine's Day, and just tell him in a note in his card that he will be finding little notes all over for a while. I even have some little heart shaped paper I can use.

How did you put notes on your biscuits? There aren't notes written on the cookie cutters, are there? I have several heart shaped cookie cutters, and actually also have made biscuits with them. But as far as notes, those cupcakes above were about the extent of notes on a baked good.
#9 Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

My guy and I won't even have been together 2 months come valentine's. He's the romantic type so I'm sure he will do something, but we aren't likely to be going for too much love stuff. Bit soon for that. I think I might make him something with reasons he is awesome for it. He wanted to spend the weekend away together but time off work is a problem for us both. I'll post if I come up with a good idea.
#10 Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Beginner

i could care less about it, but dh likes it. so whatever he comes up with.
#11 Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Zo

I have a special cutter which has letters that would shovel on a ruler and then print it on the biscuit. It is something quite common in Germany and UK but I couldn't find any in France. If you don't want to spend one complete afternoon don't try to do a new message on each biscuit but try with three messages, I 'd say it's a good start. What I like with this method is that it isn't chemical (like "ironing" some pretty "paper" on the biscuits or chocolate) and it isn't expensive and reusable. I use it for Christmas to offer cookies and other biscuits to my family with Merry Christmas written on them!

I believe that these tiny attentions are far better than any present one could hope for. Praising your loved one and being respectful and nice via these attentions are like a little sunshine in your love.
#12 Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

No BF this year.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#13 Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 AM

i had big plans but the person i was making them for has left the country. its ok, im only slightly devastated
#14 Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

No significant other here, but my best friend's birthday is always on Valentine's Day, so I'm sure we'll find something fun to do!
#15 Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

The BF and I are going to find a local wedding chapel, dress up like cupid, and shoot arrows at the brides and grooms.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#16 Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had a great reason to celebrate Valentine's Day for a loooooooooong time now.

It's my doggie's birthday!

She'll be seventeen this year. She's an OLD lady.

It's always a reason to celebrate - I love her! - but it's a bigger deal this year because I'm not sure she will see another birthday.
#17 Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I've had a great reason to celebrate Valentine's Day for a loooooooooong time now.

It's always a reason to celebrate - I love her! - but it's a bigger deal this year because I'm not sure she will see another birthday.

You baby her with junk then!! Even though i wouldn't recommend valentine's chocolate.

The Big Bad.
#18 Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

The BF and I are going to find a local wedding chapel, dress up like cupid, and shoot arrows at the brides and grooms.

Total win.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#19 Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Probally going to a nice dinner in the local beach town. The restuarant has what sounds like a moth watering vegetarian option. Then we'll be crazy and walk around the tourist shops and possibly the beach all bundled up. I work until 3 though so nothing fun during the day. I might make him chocolate cupcakes and cute corny cards.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#20 Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Somewhere in our vast collection of 8mm movies, we have one of a dog's birthday party my parents threw. I hope your dog has a wonderful birthday, Semi.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#21 Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

We're going to athens for four days, I soooo can't wait!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#22 Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Aww, well have a wonderful day with her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

We're going to athens for four days, I soooo can't wait!

Awesome!! I'm sure you will have an amazing time!
#23 Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Me and my boyfriend were going to go to a vegetarian restaurant in downtown Vancouver, but because of the Olympics we're probably just going to make a fancy dinner at home. Not sure what though...but definitely lots of dessert!! Yum!! Suggestions anyone? I was thinking of a fancy pasta dish, with soup to start and something chocolaty or a vegan cheesecake for dessert.
#24 Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to work on Valentine's Day. I don't care enough about it to try and switch a shift to be with my SO, I mean really who cares. We might do something romantic on Saturday instead.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#25 Old 01-31-2010, 03:44 AM

I'm going to wake up around 2pm, feed Otto, let him out while I smoke a cigarette, grab something to eat, play some guitar, grab a beer or perhaps a 7&7, do that until it's time to eat again (~2hr after the first morsel enters my system), play more guitar (if I start on the 7-string, I'll switch to my Explorer or visa versa), maybe take a nap, watch some anime, drunk dial some friends to see what's going on back home, eat, then call it a productive day and knock out. Ha.
#26 Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

absolutely nothing

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#27 Old 01-31-2010, 06:08 AM

Not sure yet, hopefully something nice!
#28 Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

DBF has to work the sunday so we are hopefully going to see the movie Valentine's Day on saturday night, and maybe I'll suggest we get dinner too.
#29 Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

V Day is the 14th, right? I don't date nearly enough...

No gf this year, and I'll actually be playing in a chess tournament that weekend, so that's my plan. Because I'm traveling to Orlando for the tournament and posted in the Florida subforum to see if anyone wanted to meet, there's actually a chance that V Day will be the day that I meet another VBer in person for the first time, though. That'll be special, though not because of the "holiday" (and I use the term loosely).

--Fromper

#30 Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll have been working 10 hours on Saturday, then I'm going out into town with my mate's cos its a birthday, few hours sleep, back to work on the 14th to be perved upon by bonkers customers. As the boyfriend will also have been at work, I doubt we'll do anything out of the ordinary for a Sunday and I'll probably be nodding my head by 8pm! That said, he is very good at keeping secrets and not revealing surprises, but we both agreed to not bother apart from the 'hearts' we put in the charity shop window...maybe he'll surprise me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page