Australia Soy Milk - blah! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok so I had my first drink of soy milk today... and I can't say I am a fan....

I had Soy So Good Original.

Is there anything out there that tastes close to real milk? I love cow's milk in my protein shakes, but not by itself, but HATE HATE HATE what it means for the cows!

I use soy milk in my cooking, but for drinking, after my 1st try I am a little scared of what it may mean if I can't get used to it. Do I just need to suck it up and get used to it, or is there something that tastes a little less nutty (I think that's what the flavour was).

I have the chocolate flavoured So Good, haven't tried it yet (3 for $6 at Woolies on the weekend!)

I have heard rice milk tastes "normal".

Teach me the ways of soy milk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

These are the only two worth buying (IMO), all other brands are pretty average tasting to me.

Smooth white

Bonsoy

Bonsoy is particularly good for putting in coffee.

m8itcanw8.com
#3 Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM

bonsoy is great. i reckon i woulda given up drinking coffee without it cuz i dont like it much with other soy milk brands in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

A third for Bonsoy. It's all I'll have in my coffee. It's not as cheap as the others but well worth it. Rice milk is more like skim milk methinks and good in baking lighter cakes. I've only just tried to one Pixelle said in a take away coffee this morning and it was nice too.

I only keep So Good in the house if I'm planning on doing a lot if cooking as it tastes like crap on its own.
#5 Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 AM

I hated soymilk when I first started drinking it about nine or ten months ago. Absolutely hated it. I hated it to the point where I would pour a perfectly good cup of tea down the sink because the taste of soymilk in it made me gag. But I soldiered on... and on... and on... until eventually my taste-buds adapted and now I go through quite a few cartons of the stuff by myself every week.

I drink the cheaper brands (You'll Love Coles, So Good etc.) and they taste fine to me. I've never tried Bonsoy simply because of the cost issue and because I'm not sure that it's calcium enriched (although, if anyone has information to the contrary, I'd like to be proven wrong.)

Anyway, sorry about all the blathering; what I was trying to say is that, for me at least, it was simply a matter of an acquired taste. Perhaps the flavoured varieties may help; I love the strawberry So Good on my cereal in the morning, and the chocolate flavour is awesome in hot cocoa or even coffee (like an automatic mocha.)

For a healthy (but yummy) dessert, I also freeze the mini/juicebox-sized chocolate So Goods and eat them with a spoon, just like frozen Big Ms at the primary school canteen. (Ah... memories!) Perhaps something like that might help you adapt to the slightly soy-y taste? If you're interested in trying it, just be sure to shake the box well before freezing it, or you'll end up with a rich, chocolately lump down the bottom and the rest will be rather bland.
#6 Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG frozen Big M's! LOL!

I haven't seen Bonsoy... where would I find this? Coles/Woolies?
#7 Old 04-22-2009, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I get mine at safeway and have also seen it at Coles. I think Coles has it in the health food section, as opposed to where all the other soy milks are kept which is very confusing.
#8 Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Its all about the brand.... try a few different ones. then pick the ones that tastes the least bad..... and persevere. If your lucky you might find one that you like a little bit right from the start.
#9 Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have almond milk in Australia? That, IMO, is the milk substitute that is the most milk-like.
#10 Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post

I hated soymilk when I first started drinking it about nine or ten months ago. Absolutely hated it. I hated it to the point where I would pour a perfectly good cup of tea down the sink because the taste of soymilk in it made me gag. But I soldiered on... and on... and on... until eventually my taste-buds adapted and now I go through quite a few cartons of the stuff by myself every week.

I drink the cheaper brands (You'll Love Coles, So Good etc.) and they taste fine to me. I've never tried Bonsoy simply because of the cost issue and because I'm not sure that it's calcium enriched (although, if anyone has information to the contrary, I'd like to be proven wrong.)

Anyway, sorry about all the blathering; what I was trying to say is that, for me at least, it was simply a matter of an acquired taste. Perhaps the flavoured varieties may help; I love the strawberry So Good on my cereal in the morning, and the chocolate flavour is awesome in hot cocoa or even coffee (like an automatic mocha.)

For a healthy (but yummy) dessert, I also freeze the mini/juicebox-sized chocolate So Goods and eat them with a spoon, just like frozen Big Ms at the primary school canteen. (Ah... memories!) Perhaps something like that might help you adapt to the slightly soy-y taste? If you're interested in trying it, just be sure to shake the box well before freezing it, or you'll end up with a rich, chocolately lump down the bottom and the rest will be rather bland.

Same here, fruity.

I took me a while to get used to it. Now, I love it.
#11 Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Beginner

Rav3n, I use So Good, but I'll tell you what is absolutely delicious IMHO- soy with a bit of maple syrup mixed in. I'm not a fan of soy on its own but I could drink that all day.
#12 Old 05-10-2009, 09:08 PM

I love chocolate soy milk
#13 Old 05-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post

Bonsoy does contain Kombu (seaweed) which is high in calcium, like all sea vegetables. I've been looking into this lately to find a suitable drink for my 1 year old. I'm leaning toward this as an option as I prefer not to use fortified products, especially when the source of the vitamin D in Vitasoy calci plus is lanolin.

I prefer also to use a soy which is produced from a whole soy bean, not just a soy isolate (which is getting the bad press for all the hormone issues etc) like sanitarium use. Also there is iodine in kombu, which is also quite beneficial to veg diets in small amounts as well as decreasing the toxins that can be present in some soy milks.

But who the hell knows given that there is so much crap written both for and against.
#14 Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the info, coley. I didn't know that about the lanolin-based vitamin D in Vitasoy, but thankfully I don't think I've ever tried their calci-plus.

It's a shame that there's so much misleading/contradictory information out there; it just makes it harder for everyone.
#15 Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I must be conditioned to soy milk , I prefer So Good regular and love it, tastes just like I remember cows milk to be like
#16 Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 PM

My mum and I drink the So Good 99.9% fat free one
#17 Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 PM

BONSOY BONSOY all the way! IMO nothing compares. I find it very smooth with a really beautiful nutty flavour! Yes, as someone else said - excellent for coffee. Don't think "soy sauce" when you're drinking it... think "chocolate".
#18 Old 05-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's the nutty flavour that throws me off?

I bought some choc So Good to try and when i went to have some I found out my b/f drank it all... he said it was good LOL
#19 Old 05-30-2009, 01:06 AM

Does he normally like soy milk?

chocolate soy milk is yummy hehe
#20 Old 05-31-2009, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

He's never had soy milk in his life - which was why I was surprised when I found out he had drunk it ALL. He was using it with his protein powder (usually mixes milo in also for a chocolate flavour).

I bought some Bonsoy yesty. Fricken expensive!! Haven't tried it yet.
#21 Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Banned

The only soy milk which I drink is Vita Soy, it tastes a lot better than the other brands and is the only one I trust.
#22 Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 PM

I Cant Drink soy

ive tried it before but just hate how it taste.

anyway not a big milk fan.
#23 Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 PM

I drink around 10 to 20 1L So Good 'Essentials' rather than just the original one (cos of the extra things in it) every week.

I don't like the nutty flavour that some of them other brands have also.

Usually just have the milk with cereal, Milo/Nesquick and protein Powders .

I liked the Soy good Active with extra protein but it's not sold anymore for some reason near me.

I'd say try add some flavour to it yourself, and that should make any of them taste better
#24 Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENZA View Post

I drink around 10 to 20 1L So Good 'Essentials' rather than just the original one (cos of the extra things in it) every week.

I don't like the nutty flavour that some of them other brands have also

10 to 20 1L containers every week!!!!!

And I thought I liked soymilk!
#25 Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 AM

okay...so i thought soymilk isn't a healthy drink... especially for women... help
#26 Old 06-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Beginner

Willychez, double check, but I think that's just the ones made with soy isolates. If it's made with whole soya beans (like some of the better quality ones, Bonsoy for example) I'm pretty sure it's ok. The ingredient list will always say which one it's made from.
#27 Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 PM

20 litres ? you legend !! are you being sponsored by so good or sumthin
#28 Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a ****load of soy milk.

m8itcanw8.com
#29 Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 AM

LOL i agree
#30 Old 06-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

20 litres ? you legend !! are you being sponsored by so good or sumthin

Haha nooo, just have always loved my milk n things you can do with it, and when I fully switched to Soy, my love for it didn't stop lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page