Australia Thinking about Relocating - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Jedi

One of my soul sisters has been living in Byron Bay for 3 years now, and she's really sold me on it. She has a wandering soul and has never settled anywhere, but is happy there. She tells me it's like Ojai (where I live in Southern California now), but that the whole countryside is more mellow, community oriented, less superficial, vegetarian friendly... So it's gotten me thinking and wondering. Considering relocation.

What are the basic laws there? In the US we have the 5th amendment which guarantees free speech. Is there something similar in Australia? What are the basic rights and responsibilities? What is government structure like? Here we vote in a president, senators, governors, mayors, and they are all on limited terms.

What are parents' rights? Can they refuse immunization? Has corporeal punishment been eliminated from schools? Are there both free public schools and paid private schools? Is there before and after child care for schools? What is the work week? What benefits do employers usually provide? What is the health care system like?

So many questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM

ill betcha one thing your soul sista probably didnt tell you and something you need to consider before relocating, is that since she moved here, the rules regarding emigrating to australia have changed after the labor govt took power just over a year ago. as australia is still a commonwealth country and we do not yet have independence from the u.k, all prospective immigrants from the united states now have to spend 2 years living in britain before making the transition to australia. pretty rough eh? but it was designed that way on purpose. basically, australia figured that cuz life in britain is so rainy & piss poor, most people will turn around and go back home to the u.s. and not bother to see out the two years. that way, we can keep our immigration numbers down without actually having to officially limit our migrant intake, and all the while retaining our reputation as a friendly, relaxed and welcoming nation. as rough as that sounds, its basically designed for your own bloody good and to put you off living here, cuz anyone who does make it over here after the 2 year period will have to deal with this sh!t on a daily basis.

[youtube]-WlW_tYEW7o[/youtube]
#3 Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

What's this thing called free speech and what do you plan on doing with your "guarantee" of it?

*dials national security hotline*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

What's this thing called free speech and what do you plan on doing with your "guarantee" of it?

*dials national security hotline*

Remember... be alert, not alarmed. lol very 'aussie' approach to things.

Ah Byron Bay. Haven't been, but I hear it is very relaxed, bit of a hippy town. Not necessarily a bad thing at all!

Punishment in schools is along the lines of picking up rubbish at lunch or lunchtime detentions, where you sit in the room but can't go out and play. You can still eat. When I was in school last century [graduated 1999], the really bad kids sometimes had after school detention for an hour. I guess it's the same as the US, you can get suspended and/or expelled for being a major problem child. lol, corporal punishment hasn't been around for some time. Private and public schools exist. When I was in primary school, there was a before and after school care on the premises, and there are also quite a few others around the place, but this would always cost money.

Here you register to vote, and voting is compulsory. You need to get to a polling booth on the day or you'll be fined. [If need be you can vote a little while before an election]. We vote for local, state and federal.

I don't think immunisation is compulsory, but I'm not 100% on that. I know there were debates about it a little while back.

You can read more on healthcare here: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...FRYiagodtUjfdw

I dunno how accurate I've been. Hopefully some...tiny amount of help
#5 Old 02-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

My post was slightly *****y. But I was kinda put off by the "In America we do ____ this way". Come on, you think the presidental campaign didn't totally infiltrate our media for the past 12 months?

Anyway, more seriously, Byron Bay is pretty cool but your friend may have over-romanticised it a little. It is more removed from the rat race than say, Sydney or another major metropolis, but so are a lot of rural towns. It is very vegetarian friendly, in fact it's where I was converted! And I don't know what your idea of superficial is but it does attract a lot of image concious types and it's mostly wealthy people from the cities that holiday or retire there. But it does have that alternative culture still, though less so than what it was about ten years ago. Nimbin might be your cup of tea if you want really Hippiesville hehe. That's just my experience though, others may feel differently!

But why not pay it (and other parts of Australia) a visit to see? It really isn't *that* unique, though, there were would be very similar towns in most other countries.
#6 Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL Nimbin... good times. Hash cookies. Lots of giggling. That's all I remember?

Aussie is apparently very laid back...?... So I've been told by English people who live here.

Kali are you sure about the living in England first thing??? I have never heard of this!

In regards to the working hours - depends what you want to do for a living? The average office job is 37.5-40hrs a week... but if you get into mining you are looking at 12hr shifts. You can pick up casual work for 4hrs a week. All depends what you want!

Benefits are holiday pay (20 days a year mostly) and sick leave (each work place can be different) I believe in USA some work places cover medical? ie: dentist and such. This is not the case here. We have private health or he public health system - good luck with that!

I think there is free speech to a point. Cant say I have ever needed it LOL

I do know at the moment they have changed things around on becoming a resident as my Canadian friend keeps getting jipped. They are currently viewing people as doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc as high potential... if you a dole bludging hippy (no offence to anyone) you are unlikely to get citizenship. My friend is a marine researcher for a uni in Nth Qld and has been knocked back this year for this reason. I personally think this is important but the government sees it differently.
#7 Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

ill betcha one thing your soul sista probably didnt tell you and something you need to consider before relocating, is that since she moved here, the rules regarding emigrating to australia have changed after the labor govt took power just over a year ago. as australia is still a commonwealth country and we do not yet have independence from the u.k, all prospective immigrants from the united states now have to spend 2 years living in britain before making the transition to australia. pretty rough eh? but it was designed that way on purpose. basically, australia figured that cuz life in britain is so rainy & piss poor, most people will turn around and go back home to the u.s. and not bother to see out the two years. that way, we can keep our immigration numbers down without actually having to officially limit our migrant intake, and all the while retaining our reputation as a friendly, relaxed and welcoming nation. as rough as that sounds, its basically designed for your own bloody good and to put you off living here, cuz anyone who does make it over here after the 2 year period will have to deal with this sh!t on a daily basis.

[youtube]-WlW_tYEW7o[/youtube]

I'm a little bit ashamed of you Kal......It's just not being a responsible Aussie citizen if you warn a potential tourist about the above pitfalls and dangers and yet not mention the bloody drop bears! I've never seen you be that careless before.

Silvrwood, if you come to Australia, have fun, but stay safe and watch out for the drop bears!

[youtube]vdy84wiaTro[/youtube]
#8 Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

I'm a little bit ashamed of you Kal.....

only a little bit ?? sh!t, im not trying hard enough am i
#9 Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

I'm a little bit ashamed of you Kal......It's just not being a responsible Aussie citizen if you warn a potential tourist about the above pitfalls and dangers and yet not mention the bloody drop bears! I've never seen you be that careless before.

Oh sure, you reprimand kali for not mentioning drop bears when you fail to mention "land sharks"

tsk tsk

silvrwood the Australian experience is not unlike the American experience ( just without the guns).
#10 Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vefo View Post

Oh sure, you reprimand kali for not mentioning drop bears when you fail to mention "land sharks"

tsk tsk

Well no-one ever really wants to bring Eddie McGuire into the conversation if they can help it.

#11 Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Omg sybaritik, I've never seen that drop bear footage before! I think i almost pissed myself.

Byron afaik is kinda crappy most of the time, bloody terrorists.
#12 Old 02-26-2009, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

Omg sybaritik, I've never seen that drop bear footage before!

It's spooky stuff. They don't sell vegemite in bigger jars now for nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page