Soy milk powder in Melbourne? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Melbourne kids! Does anyone know where i can get some soy milk powder around town? I have a hankering for caramel slice that just won't quit and a vegan recipe for it that looks pretty yummy. The only thing stopping me is the damn powder!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 PM

looks like no ones posting from melbourne anymore is it essential to use powder? id prolly just chuck in some soy or rice milk, whats the worse thing that could happen ?? you could only f*** it up. ha ha.
#3 Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

You use double the amount so it's thick and gooey, like condensed milk. Without it seems like it might be a milkshake on top of biscuits, which kinda defeats the purpose. I wouldn't mind a **** up if at least I thought there would be a chance of success. Man I miss caramel slice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-21-2008, 04:24 AM

sorry coley, ive got a wireless mouse that
#5 Old 12-21-2008, 04:35 AM

sorry coley !! i typed that with my partners wireless mouse which likes to chop out large bits of text at random. that was meant to read as chuck in some silken tofu and maple syrup with some soy milk.

try this:

4 oz. silken tofu

1/4 cup soy milk

1/4 cup sugar or maple syrup

i havent tried this for caramel slice but i have used it for other recipes calling for condensed milk and i think its a reasonable replacement. i like to use maple syrup instead of sugar to get that noice sweet taste.
#6 Old 12-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how she uses that thing, I nearly threw mine through the window after having that happen a few times. You put the cursor in one spot to delete text and then it removes bits from somewhere else!

Vegan caramel slice sounds very yummy.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 AM

omg, i miss caramel slice so much
#8 Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey thanks! I'll give it a go. I've just moved house so when I actually find pots and pans I shall do some baking. I just made the fudgy wudgy brownies from veganomicon and I can def recommend them!
#9 Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM

I know I'm kinda late and you probably already made those caramel slices, but I bought some soy milk powder in coles once. It was in little individually sealed sachets for making instant coffee and what not. It didn't taste good in coffee but I'm sure it would work well for baking.
#10 Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Coles you say. In what section? That's great, I still haven't made them.
#11 Old 02-10-2009, 02:18 AM

in coles? oh my, i love that!!!! would that be in the health food section?
#12 Old 02-10-2009, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Kali managed to find a big stash of soy milk powder at an asian wholesalers (offline) about two weeks ago - also found some in an asian supermarket, not in Melbourne though, but I'm sure you could easily find it there if you can't see it in Coles.

It works really well, the caramel slice he made was really yummy and moreish

m8itcanw8.com
#13 Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I just headed down to Vincents Vegetarian Food Mart (It'only 5 mins walk from my place) for my usual dumplings and curry puff treats and I found a massive box. I only go there every week for stuff but never thought to look

Yes, I am clearly an idiot.
#14 Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM

i experimented making this with the powder and with the tofu/soy milk combo. both work really well, but the powder works just a bit better as it makes the caramel the right consistency [slightly thicker] than the tofu. to get near the same effect with the tofu you have to add cornflour to the mix which works well but leaves a slight cornflour taste, which doesnt taste as good. so go the soy powder i reckon
#15 Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool bananas. There a recipe I found at post punk kitchen which looked great, and I think I have bookmarked. I use tofu a lot in baking cheesecakey type of things, but I don't really want my caramel to have a wobble. Wobbley food can freak me out a bit for some reason.
#16 Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 AM

im gonna have to go and look at coles now hehe
#17 Old 09-08-2015, 12:10 AM

Does anyone know how the soymilk powder from vincent's works in coffee or as a cold drink? I'm thinking for an upcoming camping trip, where I will have only a tiny fridge available, so am interested in knowing the taste of powdered either straight up in a glass or in a coffee? Saving on refrigerator space is a bit of an issue. Anyone know? Taste, texture etc? If there are any other brands of powdered soy, that are better for drinking from other places, please let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page