Christchurch earthquake - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11185717

Just checking to make sure the Kiwi VBers are all safe and sound.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw this on the news, looks awful. I also hope everyone is doing okay.
#3 Old 09-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11185717

Just checking to make sure the Kiwi VBers are all safe and sound.

Thanks jen ....well so far no one has died ,fortunately it was at 4.30 am , as a lot of brick structures came tumbling down , otherwise the casualty rate would have been higher .
Massive infer-structure wipe out with sewage , water , power and roading .

NZV I think you are down there , hope all is well , a scary experience for all involved. I imagine you would be on duty at the hospital ..... .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Heya! I wasn't sure where all of the New Zealanders here were located. Sounds like it's a big mess, but mostly everyone's okay.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I think most of us are pretty well clear of Christchurch. There are two seriously injured but no fatalities so it is just a case of nasty structural damage really. Things will be chaotic for a while there.
#6 Old 09-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I am around here but fine. I was actually in wellington when the big one hit, but have been here for all the aftershocks.... hundreds of them. Its kind of crazy driving around the city, you don't see anything wrong for a bit and then all of a sudden come across a whole heap of damaged buildings. Lots of chimenys and fences have been damaged badly. Turns out when people earthquake proof their house they don't do the same to their brick fence. There are quite a few badly damaged buildings around, mainly in the CBD but because it happend at 4:30am just after all the pubs had closed and people had gone home noone was injured badly other than the two people we have all heard about.
Quite alot of the roads are damaged too which is a pain.
#7 Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Glad to hear all the VBers are ok.
#8 Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I know I'm not the most active member on this forum. But I was in Chch for the earthquake and it was a scary experience!

I'm not religious, but after having no deaths, I'm inclined to believe there was a god. It actually made me want to cry to see some of those damaged buildings and the homes of people that were brought down. But its still a freaking miracle that we are all in one peice.

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#9 Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Still thinking of all the Chch people... they have suffered hundreds of aftershocks, 4 just during last night. It must be so scary being down there right now. In HB we have had a few lately, but they haven't even knocked things off of shelves. My school had a mufti day fundraising for Chch so hopefully our money will go to good use down there.
#10 Old 09-26-2010, 05:41 AM

Wednesday, I'm sorry you're having to go through this, hoping that you're not *too* freaked out. I don't think I could ever live someplace were there were frequent earthquake, ones that you can feel. ((shudder))

#11 Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Larissa- thanks for your fundraiser and support. It has been absolutely amazing the amount of caring that NZers have given. I am truely impresssed by how well all our 'systems' and organisations have pulled together to re-organise the city and get it up and running. It has given me a lot of faith in the way our country is run!

Jen- thanks for the support as well. I was only working in Chch for 4 months, and have now moved back up to Auckland (so have more frequent internet access!). I am glad to get away from the aftershocks- they kept the stress going and made everyone anxious, restless and tired. I was lucky that my house was not damaged, if it were I think I would have been a lot more scared!

#12 Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

The fundraiser was no problem! What highschool student doesn't love a mufti day! And being a senior student and wearing mufti everyday we get to have a dress up theme which is always good for a laugh.
#13 Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Wednesday, I'm sorry you're having to go through this, hoping that you're not *too* freaked out. I don't think I could ever live someplace were there were frequent earthquake, ones that you can feel. ((shudder))

Just an update and not good news , after living through 5,000 aftershocks since the 1st earthquake , the 3rd one just hit. Seems to be major building damage . Its just hell for the people that live down there .
#14 Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegold View Post

after living through 5,000 aftershocks since the 1st earthquake

I hope people get used to it after awhile and don't just live in a state of panic (like I think I would).

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Ex-*****

I'm reading on the news that this latest big one was pretty horrible, lots of people dead (at lest 65 according to one source) and lots of collapsed buildings. I hope our NZ VBers are alright :/

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#16 Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegold View Post

Its just hell for the people that live down there .

It really looks it too. Watching it on the news earlier tonight I felt like I was watching people on the set of a disaster movie - it was so surreal. I had to stop watching, it was too upsetting.

m8itcanw8.com
#17 Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Its awful, I am really upset : ( . When I was living on the farm, I was only 400 miles away from Christchurch and my ex's family would have felt the shakes... I will email them, actually. It is so scary. I am at my parents now which is at the other end of the country. I just hope the seismology of the South Island settles down, I dont like all this and worry about people living there.
#18 Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I hope people get used to it after awhile and don't just live in a state of panic (like I think I would).

Well for some it just drains them away to nothing Irizary , especially the elderly that live alone , they just keep saying I wish it (aftershocks) would stop .And now they have to deal with this .

Still , the first quake was very similar to Haiti's , they have had similar aftershocks but you can see the difference in uncorrupted civic leadership ,strong infrastructure, compulsory earthquake insurance (if you have house insurance) .Just look at the mess that still in Haiti , its just about enough to make you weep .
#19 Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I'm reading on the news that this latest big one was pretty horrible, lots of people dead (at lest 65 according to one source) and lots of collapsed buildings. I hope our NZ VBers are alright :/

Well the official count is 38 , it seems the police have gone PC (must be some legal reason ) and the deceased is not put onto the death toll until the body is identified . I think most of us are not aound CHCHCH , but I dont know where Wednesday_12 is.
#20 Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

It really looks it too. Watching it on the news earlier tonight I felt like I was watching people on the set of a disaster movie - it was so surreal. I had to stop watching, it was too upsetting.

It is rough , but there positives . There was an international Doctors conference held in the city at the time of the quake so their skills were used on the spot . Their were 40 Singaporean army engineers over here in the area doing some exercise with our army base which is just down the road , so plenty of back up in the immediate area .By coincidence , in Lyttelton Harbor (which is just over the hill from CHCHCH) had three of our navy warships in .Some parts of Lyttelton were hit pretty bad .

And Aussie rescue teams arrived during the night they will go straight to the area to relieve our lot who have worked through the night ....there are more Aussie teams arriving through the day .

And no end of international offers from Israel , European community ,GB, Japan , Singapore and from the good old USof A they offered "what ever we need "

Plus the people down there are like you Aussies how you banded together , rolled up your sleeves and supported each other and got on with the job during and after the floods .
#21 Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

My thoughts have been with the people there since I heard about it this morning - I have a penpal in Christchurch, she is ok and so are her family - thank goodness for facebook and quick updates so I didn't have to wait long to hear. She was already a nervous wreck from all the aftershocks they've had and now THIS. I don't think she has slept since the original earthquake!
#22 Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

Well so far the death toll is 75 with 20 unidentified .

Liquefaction of the ground happened in the last earthquake as well and it happens almost simultaneous as the earthquake happens .

Residence said that the ground just explodes into mini water sand fountains .

The photo is not flooding , just Liquefaction of the ground
LL
#23 Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

It is so sad. : (
#24 Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw this thread bumped but I didn't realize there was another earthquake until yesterday. As somebody who lives in a different earthquake zone (Los Angeles area), I know quakes and aftershocks can be really scary. I'm glad everyone on VB is okay.

*this space not for sale*
#25 Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Terrible. at least there were 2 people who were brought out of the rubble alive.
#26 Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The death toll is now 113.

m8itcanw8.com
#27 Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Lucky for me I was still in Indonesia when this quake hit. I was due to fly back on Friday (yesterday) and my flight went ahead with a minor detour through Auckland for fuel. So I am now back in Christchurch. My fiance was ok which I am very happy about. His house is ok as well lucky for me. We have power and water.
Our biggest problem is that my fiance was busy finding a flat when the quake hit, he had not yet succeeded. This has become all the more urgent now as the new tenants are moving in tomorrow and we have no new house. Unlikely to find one in the next few weeks as well. Lucky for me one of my friends is going overseas for 3 months today and her room will be empty. so we can probably live there.
The death toll stands at 113 still but there are 226 people missing, over 100 of those are in one building and presumed dead. Another 22 tourists were in the cathedral, also presumed dead. Its horrible, parts of the city - particularly the western areas look normal with the odd fallen down fence etc. The east of the city and the CBD on the other hand are devastated, I haven't seen it myself but that is where the stuff on tv is coming from.
#28 Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I am glad that you and your fiance are ok, NZVeggie.
#29 Old 02-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still so sad about this

#30 Old 02-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday_12 View Post

I'm still so sad about this

It cant be easy Wednesday, you went through the first one , but its good to see you are o/k .

Still credit to everyone involved , they are pouring all the resources that are needed to try and stabilize the situation to get things back to a basic normality .

Stay in touch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page