AUSTRALIA > Sydney Reception venues - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Soo.....trying to start to plan a wedding (and I just quit my job as an event coordinator because I hate the stuff LOL!).

Can anyone suggest any reception venues where you've encountered decent vego meals? I know most places would be open to dietary requirements but thought I'd ask for suggestions first of all...before I start looking myself - I have NO IDEA where to begin. We don't know what we want, other than it being a wedding with the people that actually mean something to us....so, intimate, but not too big or small, not lavish or over the top, and we want the ceremony to be outdoors. Actually there's something else... know a pretty place? Let me know! Also it must be wheelchair accessible because there will be a crapload of people in wheelchairs

We are south-west Sydney, btw....so about 30 mins from the CBD.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't know if there is any interest in this, but I thought I would update all the same.

I think I've found a venue.... and we are looking at a buffet (for anyone who is married, please let me know how you went with feeding people at your reception). Having worked in hospitality, I have heard a lot of people whinge about food at events, particularly when it is a set meal (either chicken or beef for example), so I figure at least this way we are making sure everyone gets something. In comparison to the set meals (where food is brought to the table), this one offers more veges in terms of variety and amount.

The menu @ $45pp:
Salad (choice of 4)
Crispy caesar salad w' herbed garlic croutons and anchovies
Roma Tomatoes and spanish onion
Penne Pasta w' artichoke and sun dried tomatoes
Mixed green garden salad
Potato Salad with seeded mustard mayo
Coleslaw

Main selection (choice of 2)
Lamb Korma with cucumber raita
Vegetable frittata
Buttered Chicken Curry
Bow-tie pasta w' baby prawns, hint of chilli, garlic and olives
Chicken cacciatore*
Hearty beef goulash
Rich Vegetable Lasagna
*With the main dishes, I wanted to minimise the amount of meat on offer, but not to the point where it is a completely vego reception. This sounds bad, because it's like I'm not standing up for what I believe in, but I also want to be a good host. I don't want to force my beliefs on others (ok, to some extent, I do hence the salads and lasagna). I know that chickens are incredibly abused when you look at everything they go through, but regarding our guests, I will have people with other dietary / religious requirements and I want to make sure there is something substantial for them. Although I think the well-being of animals is more important than my guests tastebuds, I can only think of one (of 90) who would also feel that way. I'm vegan, everyone else is an omnivore. So it's not that I'm 'ok' with offering animals as food, but I know the guests would not be ok with a purely vegan offering (also I don't want to upset the chef to the point where he's spiteful!). It's really hard to find a compromise. I am trying to minimise the use of animal products in the other dishes

Potatoes (choice of 1)
Creamed potato bake
Oven roasted potatoes
Baked sweet potato

Noodles or rice (choice of 1)
Steamed jasmine rice
Saffron rice
Hokkien noodles with sweet soya

Vegetables
Steamed mixed seasonal vegetables

Dessert (choice of 2)
Individual berry pavlova
Baked cheesecake
Chocolate mud cake
Apple crumble
Lemon meringue pie with raspberry coulis

Brewed coffee w' selection of teas

Other foods:
- Possibly including a fruit platter with dessert
- Looking into the option of arranging a mezze platter prior to the buffet (grilled vegetables, fresh vegies like celery and carrots, breadsticks and turkish bread)
- The wedding cake will be vegan (caramel mud cake). I am using pure dawning cakes. They're a Sydney based company with reasonable prices.
- Hopefully having a candy buffet in place of wedding favours. So I should be able to source some vegan lollies in place of those with gelatine.

Feel free to comment, suggest etc. The chicken is the only bit that is really doing my head in. I could always have beef goulash rather than chicken, which would minimise the suffering, and leave a nice waft of stench in the air. Also I should point out that my fiancee has been vegetarian for 2 weeks now. He's trying it for a month to see how he goes, though he was already predominantly vegetarian/vegan at home

edit:....well he got to three weeks. Hooray for the chicken that didn't need to die.
#3 Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 PM

My tummy grumbles reading your menu!! It sounds so delicious...
vegan caramel mud cake.
should i be expecting my invite sometime next week?... surely your 90 people won't be able to eat so much food....
i"ll start packing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_saw_stars View Post

My tummy grumbles reading your menu!! It sounds so delicious...
vegan caramel mud cake.
should i be expecting my invite sometime next week?... surely your 90 people won't be able to eat so much food....
i"ll start packing.

hahaha glad the menu has the tick of approval from another vego!
I'm such a grub; bit worried about the noodles!

Going to order the smallest size of the caramel mud cake to make sure we like it. I haven't had cake in sooo long There are more here: http://puredawning.com.au/our-cakes.html

hahaha Oh god invitations...flowers...dresses...entertainment... so much stuff. I'm gonna have to join one of those wedding forums lol...
#5 Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 AM

hi kristen, havent seen you here in a while

Quote:
With the main dishes, I wanted to minimise the amount of meat on offer, but not to the point where it is a completely vego reception. This sounds bad, because it's like I'm not standing up for what I believe in, but I also want to be a good host. I don't want to force my beliefs on others (ok, to some extent, I do hence the salads and lasagna). I know that chickens are incredibly abused when you look at everything they go through, but regarding our guests, I will have people with other dietary / religious requirements and I want to make sure there is something substantial for them. Although I think the well-being of animals is more important than my guests tastebuds, I can only think of one (of 90) who would also feel that way. I'm vegan, everyone else is an omnivore. So it's not that I'm 'ok' with offering animals as food, but I know the guests would not be ok with a purely vegan offering (also I don't want to upset the chef to the point where he's spiteful!). It's really hard to find a compromise. I am trying to minimise the use of animal products in the other dishes

i understand your dilemma cuz when i was trying to plan my wedding, i got so stressed & pissed off trying to please/not offend or alienate any rellies/family friends etc from both sides that me & my bride ended up eloping overseas for a nice little vegan wedding in peace. so im sorry i dont really have any useful tips or suggestions for you, apart from hang in there & dont follow my example cuz even those its heaps of romantic fun at the time, when you get back home your close rellies will prolly want to punish you not good our reception was an unusual affair but like you, we had a caterer do a mezze platter & a huge buffet which was awesome so i reckon that sounds like a good plan. good luck & congrats btw !!
#6 Old 09-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I too understand your pain of a vego reception.... I have just gotten engaged and am starting to think about this type of thing as I am going overseas for 3 months and ideally would like the caterer sorted before I leave.
My fiance and I have decided to do a vego reception and I will be informing my family that if they have any problems with it (not that I anticpate them admitting any) that they won't be invited. Sounds harsh but it is our big day and they can suck it up for a day. Although my family won't be the problem... it will be my fiance's family. But hey they are probably nice enough to not say anything. At least not to me! Hehe
I just won't tell them that most of it is likely to be vegan as well....... that might just kill them. Won't mention that part
#7 Old 09-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Beginner

Try seeing if you can get vegetarian caterers to cater the wedding and then hold it in a hall or other venue where there is no catering. ISKCON restaurants (often called "Govinda's", "Gopala's" or "Higher Taste") may be able to do catering but I think the best would be to find caterers that make dishes with fake meat.

Regarding having a vegetarian reception, I don't think you should have animals killed just to please friends/family. Surely the guests will survive one meal without meat. But let them know in advance so there are no surprises. They can then choose not to come if they wish, letting you know that their meat eating is more important than your friendship, which I would consider a good thing to know. What do you think means more to them: seeing their friend/relative get married or having meat on their plates? If you do this, you'll certainly find out.

Think about it this way: I'm sure you think that stealing is wrong and buying stolen property is wrong and immoral. But say you have a friend who sees nothing wrong with buying stolen property as long as he doesn't have to steal the item himself. Your friend calls you and asks you to pick up a stolen TV for him (because he's busy). Now you don't believe in buying stolen goods but your friend sees nothing wrong with it, so would you pick up the TV for him? (for the sake of argument, let's say there's no way you could get busted by the police and it's solely a moral issue). I don't think you would. So if you believe that killing animals is wrong but other people don't have an issue with it, you still shouldn't buy meat for them for the exact same reason you shouldn't pick up the stolen TV - just because somebody believes an action is okay doesn't mean it is.

Check out my vegetarian product blog: http://isitveggienz.wordpress.com/
#8 Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea what to suggest but I wouldn't feel comfortable with having meat on the menu. I also get that it can be easier said than done to go up against everyone else who is an omni including your partner. You have to be very confidant in your opinion and beliefs to pull that one off.

m8itcanw8.com
#9 Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone We had our first meeting with the venue workers last week. I had mentioned the veganism to the function coordinator, but hadnt said I was leaning towards a buffet... She spoke to the chef and he came up with three different vegan options. One was a penne pasta with pumpkin, pine nuts and something else, a coconut curry dish. At this rate, it's the chef and his willingness to accommodate me that is winning me over right now (though the venue is nice!!!). Never known a chef like that, but maybe that's because I've worked alongside them for so long lol!! So if he can do one of those dishes, I would absolutely go all vego (providing the other half is up for it - I think he could be, even he was excited by the dishes the chef suggested). It's not gonna kill people to go without meat for one day. And more importantly, it's not going to kill a bunch of animals either Fingers crossed!
#10 Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 PM

fantastic news about the chef!! the dishes sound amazing. caaaaaaake...
fingers crossed it all goes well!

http://zigsnotzags.blogspot.com
#11 Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

haha ohh... he asked via his function coordinator "Does she eat dairy?"
These were the options:
Vegetable curry with fresh coconut, jasmine rice & green mango pickle
Sautéed gnocchi with mushrooms, pecorino, rosemary & spinach (except pecorino is a cheese)
Roast Pumpkin, Pine nut & sage Risotto (and risotto is frequently made with chicken stock)

...so I contacted her and may be able to meet with the chef so he can ask whatever he needs to ask. I also mentioned I don't do gelatine, rennet, or isinglass (explained what it is...I've had chefs at my old work make me dishes, knowing I was vegan, but using white wine accidentally. So want to avoid that one if I can ) Will let you know how it goes - the chef seems quite willing to help!

EDIT: Nov 30 2010
Met with the chef today. Apparently the function coordinator just said "I'm vegetarian...", after I made it clear that I don't eat anything from an animal (giving details!) lol. Ah well, at least it's all cleared up and the unsuspecting victims at the wedding will be getting a couple of vegan dishes at the buffet as well. =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page