Quorn for Australians [would you buy it?- updated: quorn available soon!] - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Given the choice, which vegetarian convenience product would you purchase?
Sanitarium 0 0%
Quorn 0 0%
Neither of the above 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 PM

Hi All,

I moved to Australia from the UK nine months ago, and at first it was a bit of a novelty food wise. The food is fresher, there is more variety and I was having to get my cook book out!

However, I am now pregnant and the novelty is wearing off. I need convenience and the lack of vegetarian options in the supermarkets here is impacting my health. I cannot even find dried soya, just horrible tinned stuff that resembles dog food packed with salt!

Can anyone help re. an update on the petitioning of the government to allow Quorn into the country? I believe Quorn want to retail here, but are being prevented from doing so? I do not know the reasons, but there must be ways around it. E.g. They could produce in Australia rather than export from the UK. It sounds to me as the though the government is putting barriers in the way? Perhaps they expect us to eat the awful, range currently in supermarkets? They need to accept that protectionist measures do not always work, and people just won't buy the product in the supermarket. The Quorn product would fly off the shelves as all types of people would eat it for health reasons and the government could take its cut!

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 PM

All,

It is disappointing no-one seems interested in Quorn products. Perhaps this site is aimed at the USA where they are already available, rather than in Australia where vegetarian convenience food is lacking in quality and variety.

Anyway, I have received some great news from Quorn UK. They are hoping to launch in Australia in early 2010!!
#3 Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I have visited Australian often and found the food not to be lacking in quality or variety at all. Much better than here. I vote "Sanitarium" because they are trustworthy. Quorns sound like something you get from wearing plastic high heels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Banned

maybe you would have got more responses if this was posted in the aussie/nz forum. i'm thinking that perhaps your target audience didn't spot it here- i know i didn't. i'm gonna post a redirect for you so it'll appear there too.
#5 Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for moving the thread Jen.

I would at least give it a go, yeah. I worked with a chef a few years back, English guy, and he was sooo passionate about the stuff. He loved it. Ran up to his office and printed off a heap of info for me Good to hear they hope to launch in Aus!

Edit:...or maybe not. He never mentioned the egg, and I never asked because vegan stuff didn't interest me at the time D'oh.

I also have a load of vego stuff in the pantry. Asian supermarkets [though reading the pack can be tough/amusing], health stores, online shopping, and going shopping at both Coles and Woolies seem to help maintain some variety. What is your closest major city? Maybe someone in the forum can give you some tips
#6 Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelo View Post

I need convenience and the lack of vegetarian options in the supermarkets here is impacting my health. I cannot even find dried soya, just horrible tinned stuff that resembles dog food packed with salt!

Thank you.

Quote:
It sounds to me as the though the government is putting barriers in the way? Perhaps they expect us to eat the awful, range currently in supermarkets?

Jeez, start off with a bit of a classic Pommie whinge about Australia why don't ya! Too funny.

Quorn is currently not available in Australia because it doesn't fit into our strict food standards. That may or may not change in the near future. Although Quorn is a good product, I wouldn't buy it if it was sold here cos it's not vegan due to the egg content.

You can find dried soya or TVP as it's referred to in Aus in the health section of a lot of supermarkets and in most health food stores. The frozen sections of Coles and Woolies contain various convenience products under the brand names Sanitarium, Fry's and sometimes Redwoods, and there's also more products in the vegetarian sections as well. If you scour the frozen aisles closely, you'll find other brands like Heinz etc make foods that don't specifically target the veggie consumer but are nevertheless vegetarian. You can also order online from VeganPerfection or CrueltyFreeShop

In Australia, it's really piss easy to live as a vegetarian so you shouldn't really be struggling with your health. If you have any other questions about products you can't find or are unsure about, come back and ask us.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 08-19-2009, 01:52 PM

lol pixsta thats a no from me too to quorn cuz its not vegan. neither is some sanitarium stuff tho so the poll is a bit skewed really. i voted neither.
#8 Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM

quorn isn't vegan, amirite? or do they have several products?
#9 Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM

ignore that, i didn't read the last post.
#10 Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I guess I'd try Quorn. It doesn't sound very nice, though. I don't like most of the Sanitarium, Fry's etc ranges, either, for that matter. I can't really answer the poll until I've tasted it, though, can I? There was no option for "don't know/haven't tried it".

Are you paid by the Quorn company or something?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tasted quorn so didn't vote either way but would love to see it here and would try it . I like most of the Sanitarium range and appreciate the availability of the product. I worked with a Dutch guy that ate quorn in the Netherlands and he spoke highly of it.
#12 Old 08-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you folks will love it (if you're vegetarian that is). It's the best meat sub in my opinion.... no weird after tastes or strange flavours. We eat a lot of it in my house. My boyfriend (an omni) eats it with no complaints. I've just managed to get him to eat Quorn ham/chicken slices recently, which means we now don't buy any meat. There's so much variety too. I don't know what i'd do without the chicken pieces (great in fajitas) and mince (makes nice chilli, etc.), but i also like the sausages, burgers and smoked bacon.
#13 Old 08-23-2009, 01:13 AM

I haven't tried the stuff yet, so I'm not gonna answer it... but when I do though, I will. I like some of Sanitarium's stuff.
#14 Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM
One

Sanitarium is soooo crap. It's like the ONLY option in supermarkets around me. The cans of salty crap you're talking about MUST be Sanitarium. I only like their veggie dogs, but they're not healthy and full of salt too.

Also, Sanitarium is Seventh Day Adventist organisation and does not pay tax, so that may conflict with some people's desires also.

"Sanitarium Health Food Company was registered as Australia's first health food company in April 1898. It was established by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Australia to promote and produce plant-based health foods based on its belief that plant-based diets are designated by God, our Creator, for the health of the human race1. Worldwide, the Church operates health food industries and health-care services based on this philosophy.

Sanitarium's enduring mission is to "inspire and resource our community to experience happy, healthy lives". As such the Seventh-Day Adventist Church and Sanitarium continue to share an explicit common reason and purpose of existence.

Sanitarium is a leader in producing foods of the highest nutritional value and appeal. It invests significant resources into community nutrition education through its Sanitarium Nutrition Services, providing unbiased advice and consultation to both health professionals and the community. The Company is a generous supporter of the community through charity partnerships." - http://www.sanitarium.com.au/company/tax.html

Hmm well 1000mg of sodium in one serving, I don't think God intended that for me!

You could probably get Quorn stuff sent to you by relatives/friends, but only if it's packets of sauce, canned goods etc. My husband sent me weird stuff from the US, and all they asked was, is it canned and can it spoil?

Otherwise... Quorn's website says it's available in: UK, USA, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and "coming soon" to Ireland.

It's a shame because I looked on the Quorn website and the products look really nice, and such a big variety. I have never seen frozen vegan foods except for maybe a veggie patty, but those usually contain egg white anyway... and I don't want to contribute to those poor battery hens.

edit: I just sent Quorn some feedback, asking if they'd consider offering products in Australia. I described that in Melbourne, Australia there are virtually no vegan or vegetarian frozen foods on the shelves and that they'd have a huge upper hand on Sanitarium, because of sanitariums flavour, range and religious status... maybe you could contact some other veggies who love Quorn but moved to Australia... to bombard them with e-mails to make them realise how much Australia needs the products! I doubt they get many requests, because there's obviously no advertising here for Quorn... but if they knew it could be in demand, I'm sure they'd bring it to Australia, if they're not already working on it
#15 Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 AM

I would love if Quorn came here.

I got to try it when I was in the UK and loved it.
#16 Old 09-06-2009, 02:10 PM

As a Pom, I have to say that Quorn is the best meat substitute around. It is quite bland, so needs to be cooked with sauces or seasonings, but the texture and ease of cooking is brilliant. We have loads of different substitutes over here, but Quorn pieces are the original, and still the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page