Washington DC - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 09-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

P.p.s. My mom always (ALWAYS) talks about an Indian buffet in Gaithersburg - it's down 124 (Montgomery Village Ave) behind the Einstein Bagels at the intersection of 124 and Firstfield. I never been there, but she says it's a good deal, though it's hardly fine-dining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 09-29-2005, 07:54 AM

Hi I just stumbled onto this page.

An excellent veggie indian buffet place in VA (Fairfax) and MD (University Blvd & Gaithersburg) is Woodlands - not fine dining though.

Any veggie couples in the fairfax area? I live in Springfield, VA and a vegetarian aspiring to be a vegan. I teach yoga and do holistic health consultations when I get time from my busy day job as a business analyst.
#63 Old 11-19-2005, 05:11 PM

My partner & I went to a new restaurant yesterday & IT WAS YUMMY! Vegetate, located just north of the convention center metro (www.vegetatedc.com). Entirely vegetarian, vegan stuff clearly marked. One of the sides on the vegan dish my partner order wasn't vegan & the server knew to tell her & see if she wanted to substitute anything. Kinda pricey, but man was it good! Smoke free too They haven't gotten their liquor license yet because the Baptist church on their block keeps protesting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 11-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphingirl View Post

They haven't gotten their liquor license yet because the Baptist church on their block keeps protesting...

*mumblegrumble* stupid shilo church *grumble* doesn't care 'bout liquor stores on the block *mumble* but won't let the damn restaurant alone... *grumble*

don't get me started
#65 Old 11-27-2005, 09:05 AM

Hey, guys! Living in the District and new to the board.
#66 Old 11-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post

Hey, guys! Living in the District and new to the board.

Welcome to vb. Isn't DC great???
#67 Old 01-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

There is a restaurant in Clarksville, MD called Great Sage.

I've never been there, but their menu looks very promising.

Come in anytime on January 22nd and 10% of our profits will benefit the

Vegetarian Society of DC! For more info, visit: http://www.vegdc.com/

NOW SERVING BRUNCH! Every Sunday,

11:30AM-3P

I was thinking we could meet up here and have a nice Veg*n brunch.

Who's in. I'd be driving 1 hr 40 min. but if it's going to benefit the vegetarian society and I have the possibility of meeting some new veg*n friends --- then I'm in.

Look at the menu: http://www.great-sage.com/SpecialDiets.html

here's directions from DC -- http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newa...MD&tcountry=us
#68 Old 01-22-2006, 02:59 PM

Darn, wish I'd seen this before today! (obviously been a while since I've been on the board) Maybe we could arrange to go another day. Quite a hike though.

Perhaps Asylum's (Adams Morgan) Sunday brunch would be more central?

Trent Steele--love the avatar!
#69 Old 01-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Darn, wish I'd seen this before today! (obviously been a while since I've been on the board) Maybe we could arrange to go another day. Quite a hike though.

Perhaps Asylum's (Adams Morgan) Sunday brunch would be more central?

DC is do-able for me. We chose Great Sage because this was a benefit brunch. Today Jan 22nd was the day they were giving 10% of all of their proceeds to the DC Vegetarian Society.

It was Yummy!!! Lots of Vegan options.

I've never been to Asylum. Are there many vegan options there?

ETA: Catch the review - last post in the Maryland section https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...t=5466&page=22
#70 Old 01-22-2006, 03:14 PM

Oh yeah! It's a vegan brunch!

I've read several good things about Great Sage, and really like the fact they do the benefits, so good to know you have another positive review! I'd definitely like to make it up there one of these days. Care to share what you had?
#71 Old 01-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I had the huevos ranchero, a sage screwdriver and the rice cream hot fudge sundae. --- all vegan

We had a clueless waiter. I asked for separate checks in the beginning and he said it was fine. He had messy, greasy looking hair. Anyway, at the end of the meal he brought one check. I reminded him of the deal. Then he separted them onto the wrong checks. I ended up paying for a mimosa instead of my screwdriver.

It was still a good day though.
#72 Old 01-22-2006, 03:22 PM

Hmm, irritating, but not a deal breaker. Glad it didn't ruin your day! Of course with a hot fudge sundae, NOTHING could be that bad! LOL

Has anyone been to Busboys & Poets since they added the veg brunch menu items? The place kind of irritates me, but I'm curious to try the new items and it's always good to support the effort.
#73 Old 01-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks! I've had a series of "trents" represented over there. I'm running out of 'em though.

I'll just throw in a quick $.02 on the Asylum idea: Based on my experience, it's not necessarily a great idea for a group-thing. Again, this is all based on /my/ experience, but the place is kinda loud, smells like a dank ciggy-ridden bar (which it is) and there seems to be about a 50/50 shot that the place will actually have a full staff working on any given sunday brunch.

That being said, I love the place. It's good (not /great/) vegan brunch. What's not to love? I have a few other regular haunts in the District that make good (imo, better) group meetup spots, if anyone cares. Not that I would attend such a gathering. Too often I fight with vegans. *shrug*
#74 Old 01-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Has anyone been to Busboys & Poets since they added the veg brunch menu items? The place kind of irritates me, but I'm curious to try the new items and it's always good to support the effort.

Interesting... What about that place irritates you? I haven't eaten anything there. It's already worse than Tryst - the clientelle, I mean. I want to go in there with a bat sometimes. Ugh. I imagine their brunch will be rather busy, as this neighborhood is generally lacking in that area. I wish Food For Thought was open better hours.
#75 Old 01-29-2006, 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=Trent Steele]the place is kinda loud, smells like a dank ciggy-ridden bar (which it is) QUOTE]

Ahhh...just my kind of place.

As for B&P, it's the atmosphere and the prices that bug me, and also what it really means for the neighborhood (IMO). I like the "idea," but fall on that side of the debate that's swirled since its opening that it's more of a contributor to the gentrification of U Street than it is anything else. Service is spotty at best, but that aside, I don't see how (for example) $10 shots of whiskey (literally) will draw in the community activists, "every" person, and diverse clientele to whom B&P claims appeal. Overall, I don't like the new mod feel of the place. The furniture, the fixtures, etc--it all contributes to yet another bourgey joint, trying to be something it's not. I will give props to the bookstore though--very good selection.

And I'll second your motion for Food for Thought's hours!

So I gotta know...you fight with vegans? Do tell.
#76 Old 01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Beginner

hey, lisa took me to tryst - i liked it! then again, i'm just that sort of nerd

i also miss that kung pao "chicken" i had . . .
#77 Old 01-30-2006, 06:21 PM

Sarah! Remember that Ethiopian place we went to for dinner? They had a fire weeks ago, and don't seem to be reopening anytime soon! I really wish I'd taken you to Meskerem--much better all around.

You wouldn't happen to remember the place in Chinatown that Warren took you, would you?
#78 Old 01-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sarah! Remember that Ethiopian place we went to for dinner? They had a fire weeks ago, and don't seem to be reopening anytime soon! I really wish I'd taken you to Meskerem--much better all around.

You wouldn't happen to remember the place in Chinatown that Warren took you, would you?

Just so we're clear, you both realize that *I* am Warren, right? Sarah, my twinnie, you're officially stalking me, but I'd expect nothing less from you, and I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Lisa, I have no idea what the /name/ of the place Sarah and I went, but it's across the street from Tony Chengs, and is of reasonable size - it's not one the hole-in-the-wall carry-outs. Although that place has the best fake-meat selection, it's not the best chinese food. I prefer Eat First, which is on the next block and on the opposite (Cheng's) side of H Street. Full Kee is really good, too, and is rather authentically-Mandarin but not as veggie-friendly. A good number of main dishes, but not vegetarian apps or soups.

While I'm on the topic, Rice on 14th (around 14th and Corcoran I guess - next to HR-57) allegedly does very good Thai-fusion (whatever /that/ means). I'm sure it's no Bangkok Bistro, but I'll be checking that out soon.
#79 Old 01-31-2006, 07:45 AM

NO WAY?!?! YOU'RE WARREN?????? That's hilarious!

I agree with you on Eat First--EXCELLENT. I believe it was the first place I ever had lunch in Chinatown--before I even lived in DC. It was on the Washingtonian's list of "Cheap Eats," and for five bucks I had more wonderful food than I could finish. We recently discovered a joint on U St that has several TVP chicken dishes--and they deliver, baby.

Haven't been to Rice, but it's just down the street from me. I've heard good things about it as well. Major construction project going on next door, so make sure you go well after quitting time.
#80 Old 02-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Steele View Post

Just so we're clear, you both realize that *I* am Warren, right? Sarah, my twinnie, you're officially stalking me, but I'd expect nothing less from you, and I'm grinning from ear to ear.

lol! until your email i had NO IDEA!!! but i'm grinning from ear to ear too! hehe!

lisa - it is hiliarious, isn't it? known him 11 years and had NO IDEA it was him! even though he TOLD me about this place!!!
#81 Old 02-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

And I recognized your dogs, too, Sarah! Where's the pug? Or whatever you just added? Didn't you get a third mutt???

Lisa - the restaurant in question is called Chinatown Garden at 618 H street. I was at Eat First last night, so I looked at the name. Not the best food, but good fake meats. I had the General Tso's Bean Curd at Eat First - so good!!!
#82 Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM

This is just too freakin' funny. I was wondering when Sarah would come back and see this. LOL

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure you've been to City Lights in Dupont? Had the General Tso's tofu there last week--yum yum. AND they have brown rice. Bonus! We've been getting delivery from this place called Peking Express (of course it is, right?) on U St--they've got about six or seven chicken TVP dishes. Alas, no brown rice, but really good.
#83 Old 02-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Beginner

hey, am temping for a company with a location in DC on I street. except all their stationary says "eye street" goodness gracious.
#84 Old 02-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

They probably got sick of saying "no, it's not first street."

That is funny though.
#85 Old 02-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Is anyone going to Keggs and Eggs March 17th? The DC 101 St. Patrick's Day party.

Obviously I won't be eating eggs or drinking isinglas filled Guiness, but there must be something fun I can do there. LOL

Okay my sister and I are going ... at least to the city. If not this particular party, just some kind of breakfast and brew.
#86 Old 03-10-2006, 01:35 PM

Wow! Hadn't heard of Kegs & Eggs so I looked it up--can't imagine starting drinking at that hour, but hey, why not?

Anyone tried Veridian yet? Do tell!

Also, any restaurant ideas for a nice birthday dinner? Doesn't have to be strictly veg, just reasonably veg-friendly. Some place a little romantic, without people sitting 12 inches away? Preferably something near a place with live jazz. Was considering Rice.
#87 Old 03-24-2006, 10:52 AM

Mai Thai is a very nice restaurant with a great view of the Potomac River located in Old Town Alexandria. They have a website but I'm not allowed to post it yet.... but it's something like this: maithai dot us

They have a vegetarian menu.
#88 Old 03-27-2006, 06:14 PM

Thanks, Sande. Will have to give it a try (if we ever make it to that side of the river LOL). Their spinach mushroom entree sounds d-lish!

We wound up going to Rice on 14th. All I can say is WOW-WEE! If you haven't been, GO! Nice (but not extensive) selection. Best Pad Thai I've ever had. And you absolutely must must must try the Pumpkin Empanadas! Not much on atmosphere, but the food is super fresh and oh-so-flavorful yet subtle. Did you ever make it there, Warren? Um, I mean Trent Steele?
#89 Old 04-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Did you ever make it there, Warren? Um, I mean Trent Steele?

Somehow, I have not. I think it's because /everyone/ tells me I should go there. I feel like I have set expectations too high. Plus, isn't it "Thai Fusion"?! I don't even know what that means! I'll have to try it soon...

Had the vegan chocolate cake at Busboys & Poets. Pretty good stuff, though it's no Cakelove!!
#90 Old 04-11-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Steele View Post

Had the vegan chocolate cake at Busboys & Poets.

I can only imagine what THAT cost. Sorry, that place just really ticks me off--HOUSE red wine at $8.50 a glass? Some "neighborhood gathering place." Me thinks Andy is in a little over his head this time.

Dear dear Warren, don't let Rice's popularity keep you from delighting in a pumpkin empanada! And as for the fusion thing, their menu is divided into three sections--one is the fusiony/original stuff; one is traditional Thai; and the other (our section) is called Healthy Green. For the price, you can't go wrong here. As I said, it's not the most atmospheric of restaurants, but they make a solid meal for a decent price.

VSDC's restaurant visit this month is to the much-loved Meskerem in Adams Morgan on the 22nd. That's always a treat. Speaking of treats, they're going down to Sticky Fingers afterwards for dessert. Anyone planning to go?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page