Vegans in the land of cheese! - VeggieBoards

Vegans in the land of cheese!

CaptainNoFun's Avatar CaptainNoFun
07:36 PM 01-01-2015
It's been a while since I've seen anything posted in the Wisconsin section, so I figured I'd just say hello....
I'm new to Madison, WI, just moved out here in August 2014. I'm happy to be in a more liberal area (coming from the St. Louis/bible belt area) and so far, even from cheese heads, I've received a lot of support in being vegan. Even people at work have started telling me about restaurants in the area with vegan options.
I was curious if anyone does meet ups in the area for vegans/vegetarians?
Stay warm! (haha...because it's really freakin cold right now....)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Capstan's Avatar Capstan
08:38 PM 01-01-2015
I moved to Wis. in the mid-90s from the Dallas, TX area. I'm in the west-central part of the state, about 150-miles from Madison, in a small city of about 1000. Not too liberal here, all dairy farmers and hunters. I'm still the only veg*n I know. Sometimes I wish I was in a more urban area, but I suppose it's a tradeoff- I love the quiet of small town life. The last time an airplane flew over was about 10-years ago. The biggest news we ever had was when they installed a new stop-sign in town. Very exciting! Funny, California has taken over as the #1 producer of cheese in the nation, while Wisconsin has become the biggest grower of cranberries. So technically, we're not the "Dairy State" anymore, but I expect that's a title they won't give up easily.

What prompted you to move up here?
River's Avatar River
08:40 PM 01-01-2015
I'll be passing through Madison on my way to Michigan in June. Do you enjoy it there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

10:01 PM 01-01-2015
My fiance was hired at Epic Systems and relocated up in the area around April and then I followed later. I love that Wisconsin won't let go of the dairy thing....every time you see cheese anywhere it's "100% Wisconsin cheese!"
I'm loving Wisconsin, the summer is beautiful here. When I moved up in August we were having a heat wave in Missouri and we lived on the river. 103 degrees and ridiculously humid! I moved up and it was beautiful and 80 degrees! So far I've explored just the Dane county area, lots of hiking spots, the downtown area is amazing. I suggest stopping in and exploring a little bit. The farmer's market in the summer is huge, right at the capital building and then there's a lot of local shops in the area.
And I agree with the "liberal" thing. I was told you leave the city area and it's not so much. I just enjoy the diversity in the city and that there's a lot more catering to different ethnic groups, cuisine and lifestyles.

Cons of Wisconsin: It's cold and there is no tornado season.
River's Avatar River
10:16 PM 01-01-2015
I sort of love that one of your cons is a lack of tornado season.
10:29 PM 01-01-2015
The sound of tornado sirens and black skies usually was the signal to sit on the front porch and watch. And the thunder and lightning was GORGEOUS.
*Sigh* There has been only one tiny thunderstorm since I've been here....
Capstan's Avatar Capstan
10:49 PM 01-01-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNoFun View Post
Cons of Wisconsin: It's cold and there is no tornado season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I sort of love that one of your cons is a lack of tornado season.
Actually, we do get tornadoes. It's not like Oklahoma, but several towns in WI have been hit pretty hard by twisters.

I'd like to visit Madison and see the Civic Center designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
11:10 PM 01-01-2015
I mean like during the tornado season in Missouri (late March-May) there's always strong storm systems moving through, tornado warnings/watches, lots of strong thunderstorms. I'm not a fan of the destruction of Tornadoes...I actually volunteered during the Joplin tornado. The same system that caused that tornado caused a lot of damage in my town. I'm just used to months of constant severe weather so much that it's become entertaining...

Oh my god I sound like an awful person...

On to lighter topics: one of the first places I went when I moved to Madison was Monona Terrace, went to the cafe there and the view is amazing. When my parents came to visit we did a wine and cheese tour, learned a lot about Frank Lloyd Wright.
Have you been to House on the Rock? I've heard that's pretty cool
Capstan's Avatar Capstan
11:29 PM 01-01-2015
Instead of House on the Rock, I'd rather see Taliesin, Wright's home/studio near Spring Green. He grew up in Wisconsin, and Taliesin is the house he designed for himself. It means, "shining brow." House on the Rock was designed by Alex Jordan, Jr., who was sort of a rival of Wright. The two houses are in the same area, but if I had to choose between seeing one or the other, I'd go with Taliesin.
01:50 AM 01-02-2015
That looks beautiful, that may be my next spring time/summer time mini vacation!
erilol's Avatar erilol
10:12 AM 04-20-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNoFun View Post
My fiance was hired at Epic Systems and relocated up in the area around April and then I followed later. I love that Wisconsin won't let go of the dairy thing....every time you see cheese anywhere it's "100% Wisconsin cheese!"
Is your fiance a programmer?
Reply Up