Washington I love Seattle! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I just moved to Seattle and love it. I feel like I'm in veg*n nirvana lol. I am in the U-District and there are four all-vegan restaurants within a few minutes walk, as well as three more vegetarian places and what is believed to the only all-vegan store in the state (SideCar for Pigs Peace). Not to mention a Trader Joe's as well as many other places with veg*n options. I am also very much looking forward to eating the vegan buffet at Araya and shopping at SideCar, not to mention visiting the other veg*n places in Seattle.

After living in a small town on the east side of the state for the past three years, this is amazing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Lucky ! I hear you can take a ferry across the lake to Canada .
#3 Old 12-05-2009, 05:10 AM
Beginner

Lucky you. I worked on a project in Seattle about 10 years ago, and I lived over in Bellevue on the east side. Cafe Flora on Madison St. is one of my all-time favorite restaurants. Also, there was a veg cafe/juice bar called Gravity Bar on Broadway (maybe a mile or two south of UW). I don't know if it still exists, but they created some wild juice concoctions and offered tasty dishes. I always enjoyed the vibe there - staff was very enthusiastic and helpful at a time when I had just recently become vegetarian.

I am green with envy. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromSM View Post

Lucky ! I hear you can take a ferry across the lake to Canada .

Yep - there's a ferry from Seattle to Victoria. I love being surrounded by water here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpw001 View Post

Lucky you. I worked on a project in Seattle about 10 years ago, and I lived over in Bellevue on the east side. Cafe Flora on Madison St. is one of my all-time favorite restaurants. Also, there was a veg cafe/juice bar called Gravity Bar on Broadway (maybe a mile or two south of UW). I don't know if it still exists, but they created some wild juice concoctions and offered tasty dishes. I always enjoyed the vibe there - staff was very enthusiastic and helpful at a time when I had just recently become vegetarian.

I am green with envy. Enjoy.

I'll have to check out those places at some point.

Thanks - I really do love it here. Not just the veg*n aspect, but that is a huge plus.
#5 Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I still have not been up to Seattle since I moved back to Tacoma at the end of Sept. Seattle is an awesome city, I need to get my butt up there. I am going up there to donate baked goods for Sidecars for Pigs Peace.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 12-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

I still have not been up to Seattle since I moved back to Tacoma at the end of Sept. Seattle is an awesome city, I need to get my butt up there. I am going up there to donate baked goods for Sidecars for Pigs Peace.

Wow - really? You need to get up here! I lived in Tacoma (Parkland, actually) when I went to PLU towards the beginning of the decade and went up to Seattle whenever I could. That's cool regarding the baked goods - I am going to have to get over there and do some shopping! Especially considering I can walk there in five minutes ...
#7 Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't mind being there. The place looks like Vegetarian Mecca to me.
#8 Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

I am going up there to donate baked goods for Sidecars for Pigs Peace.

AWESOME!! We usually donate to their Bake Sales, this one, the timing just didn't work out... The staff at Sidecar are awesome. I WUB the bake sales

For those who are interested, the Bake Sale benefits Pigs Peace animal sanctuary, and it's being held (at SideCar obviously) on THIS coming Friday and Saturday. Come get some goodies!!!

And to Lovingthegreen: You will love Araya's, it's my kids favorite place in Seattle and you can't beat the buffet price!!! They have lots of good stuff you'll miss if you JUST get the buffet though... Also, you simply MUST try Squid & Ink in the Georgetown neighborhood, as well as Moonlight Cafe (Vietnamese) on Jackson, and Teapot. The Ethiopian places are good, there's like a bajillion of them, I like Kokeb and Queen of Sheba. Chaco Canyon has some delicious raw stuff, and the atmosphere is lovely!!

Ahhh, yeah, I love Seattle too!!
#9 Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

And to Lovingthegreen: You will love Araya's, it's my kids favorite place in Seattle and you can't beat the buffet price!!! They have lots of good stuff you'll miss if you JUST get the buffet though... Also, you simply MUST try Squid & Ink in the Georgetown neighborhood, as well as Moonlight Cafe (Vietnamese) on Jackson, and Teapot. The Ethiopian places are good, there's like a bajillion of them, I like Kokeb and Queen of Sheba. Chaco Canyon has some delicious raw stuff, and the atmosphere is lovely!!

So many places!!! Good thing I live here now.

Thanks for the heads up on those places - will definitely have to check them out at some point. Right now, I'm focusing on my own neighborhood before I branch out into other areas of Seattle. Good times.
#10 Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 PM

I plan on moving to seattle granted its not until January.. still have a while but I am so excited! Just need to get a job first. I love that its so veg*n friendly!
#11 Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePea View Post

I plan on moving to seattle granted its not until January.. still have a while but I am so excited! Just need to get a job first. I love that its so veg*n friendly!

That's awesome.

I still love it here. Absolutely fits so much of what I have always wanted, and I plan on staying here for the long term.

Best of luck to you.
#12 Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I am planning to visit friends in Seattle soon. I can't decide whether to go in the spring or the summer...
#13 Old 03-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I am planning to visit friends in Seattle soon. I can't decide whether to go in the spring or the summer...

I'd hold off till May or Summer because the weather will be better then. Things warmed up and are beginning to bloom but then it snowed again last week, yanno? There is no more beautiful place than the Pacific Northwest in summertime.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I would hold off until late May, or preferrably in June. We kinda have like a mediterranean weather system here, wet winters and our springs and falls are also wet, but our summers are pretty dry. But sometimes it takes a while for summer to kick in, so even May can sometimes still be a bit soggy. If I was going to visit here I'd wait until June.

I've been up to Seattle a few times since the last time I posted in this thread. I have so completely fallen back in love with Seattle. Such an amazing city.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
#15 Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Looks like my trip will be in mid june. Where should I eat?
#16 Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I grew up in Tacoma and Seattle but moved away when I joined the military at age 18, long before I was vegetarian. I loved living there, and this post makes me want to return. Now if only I could find a job that compared to the one I've got in Las Vegas, the last place on earth I would have ever thought I'd be living in lol.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#17 Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

Looks like my trip will be in mid june. Where should I eat?

There are some great places to eat in Seattle and one in Tacoma. Arraya's, Cafe Flora, Cafe Chaco, Pizza Pi, and more are in Seattle. Quickie Too's is in Tacoma but there is another Quickie's in Seattle, I believe. You will have no problem finding vegan meals in Seattle

My Vegan Food Blog:
#18 Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganess View Post

There are some great places to eat in Seattle and one in Tacoma. Arraya's, Cafe Flora, Cafe Chaco, Pizza Pi, and more are in Seattle. Quickie Too's is in Tacoma but there is another Quickie's in Seattle, I believe. You will have no problem finding vegan meals in Seattle

delicious, I second nearly all of those. The only ones I have not eaten in yet are Cafe Flora and Cafe Chaco, but I have heard great things about those places too. Araya's lunchtime buffet is amazing. I love the calzones at Pizza Pi. Quickie Too in Tacoma is where I ate Thanksgiving this past year - great food there too. There are in fact two more of those in Seattle. The U District (just northwest of UW not far from downtown) is a very veg-dense neighborhood.
#19 Old 03-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

um, not to confuse the issue, but the U dist is not NW of the UW, in fact the campus is part of the U district..... has been for the 40 plus yrs I have lived in this area.... it starts at the lake and goes west to I5, northern boundary is probably University Village give or take a couple of blocks, south to 520.

Just saying, if one is trying their bearings on a map or goggle eart; look for the 45/50 th st. exit off I5 north, head east towards the water on 45th and you are in the U district.
#20 Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

um, not to confuse the issue, but the U dist is not NW of the UW, in fact the campus is part of the U district..... has been for the 40 plus yrs I have lived in this area.... it starts at the lake and goes west to I5, northern boundary is probably University Village give or take a couple of blocks, south to 520.

Just saying, if one is trying their bearings on a map or goggle eart; look for the 45/50 th st. exit off I5 north, head east towards the water on 45th and you are in the U district.

Sorry - I was not as clear as I had intended. Yes, the UW is absolutely part of the U-District, what I meant to say is that the veg-dense area of the U-District is the portion that is generally northwest of the campus.
#21 Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

That's awesome.

I still love it here. Absolutely fits so much of what I have always wanted, and I plan on staying here for the long term.

Best of luck to you.

thank you I am coming from texas so I am most excited about the hiking and water!
#22 Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd hold off till May or Summer because the weather will be better then. Things warmed up and are beginning to bloom but then it snowed again last week, yanno? There is no more beautiful place than the Pacific Northwest in summertime.

not this year... it's an el nino yr we will more than likily have a wet summer like every other el nino yr; which typical are warmer and drier in the winter (no snow like the Vancouver Olympics didn't get) and cooler and wetter during the summer.

August should still be nice, as well as Sept and early October, but I am fairly sure we will have a wet April, May, June and July.
#23 Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

thank you I am coming from texas so I am most excited about the hiking and water!

check the weather before you come, it probably will be a lot cooler and wetter than you are prepared for if you are coming from Texas, where were you going hiking, or do you know yet?
#24 Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:

check the weather before you come, it probably will be a lot cooler and wetter than you are prepared for if you are coming from Texas, where were you going hiking, or do you know yet?

Oh! I will be moving, I don't think I will start hiking until it warms up. I was told to head up through cali when I go since if I went directly i probably wouldn't get too far since it would be snowing along the way. I hope its cooler then I think it will be, i love cold weather
#25 Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh! I will be moving, I don't think I will start hiking until it warms up. I was told to head up through cali when I go since if I went directly i probably wouldn't get too far since it would be snowing along the way. I hope its cooler then I think it will be, i love cold weather

It just depends on when you are headed this way.... weren't you coming up in June? If so it is highly unlikely it will be snowing anywhere along the way no matter which way you go, personally I would take the route that took me near the things I would be most interested in checking out. California doesn't do much for me.... northern cali is nice.... either way you go have a good trip and make sure your spare, jack and tire changing tools are accessable when you get your car all packed.... really sucks to have to unpack a car to get to all that stuff if you have a spare.
#26 Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

It just depends on when you are headed this way.... weren't you coming up in June? If so it is highly unlikely it will be snowing anywhere along the way no matter which way you go, personally I would take the route that took me near the things I would be most interested in checking out. California doesn't do much for me.... northern cali is nice.... either way you go have a good trip and make sure your spare, jack and tire changing tools are accessable when you get your car all packed.... really sucks to have to unpack a car to get to all that stuff if you have a spare.

I graduate in August and I am moving with a friend who doesn't graduate until December. When she does, we are booking it up there. I've been to northern cali and love it but its way too expensive. I figure I will see how the weather will be before I decide how I will drive up there and thats a great tip! Defiantly will keep that in mind. If possible I rather just take the quickest route.. that in itself is 31 hours.
#27 Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If possible I rather just take the quickest route.. that in itself is 31 hours.

My partner and I drove across the country from Virginia to Seattle last May. It was the best road trip of my life because it ended where I've always wanted to be. The Pacific Northwest is finally our home.

My Vegan Food Blog:
#28 Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:

My partner and I drove across the country from Virginia to Seattle last May. It was the best road trip of my life because it ended where I've always wanted to be. The Pacific Northwest is finally our home.

It would be fun to just make it a week road trip and visit random places. I could go see the big ball of yarn or something. Wherever that is. how long of a drive was that?
#29 Old 04-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

We broke it up into 4 days. Day one was Virginia to Wisconsin. Day two was Wisconsin to Wall, South Dakota. Day three was Wall to Missoula, Montana. Day four was Montana to Seattle. I'd already made the southern drive from California to Florida but had never driven across the top of the states. It was beautiful in parts, really beautiful.

My Vegan Food Blog:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page