Virginia Virginia Check-In Thread - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 AM

Aemdis-  You are in a college town so I am sure you will meet some vegetarians/vegans soon.  I live in Fairfax County and have been eaten a plant-based diet for 7-years counting

the times I've fallen- (dived headlong-) off the bandwagon for dessert.

I quit meat cold turkey (ooh, sorry.  that really wasn't intended) when I learned that the USDA or FDA (can't remember which) had approved cloned beef  to go to market.

They were not originally planning to label the meat, but public outcry caused them to reconsider.  I read an article in Wired Magazine about that time that indicated some unscrupulous farmers had already sold the meat as "the real, non-cloned thing".  None-the-less, in a protest of one (or two if you include my son) I refused to knowingly

consume cloned meat.

When I learned 6 months later that farmers would be labeling the cloned meat, I felt I had overreacted. But by then I didn't want to lose the health benefits I'd gained by becoming vegan. 

And actually, I spent another year learning that things like gelatin (ground hooves), honey, casein (milk protein to melt cheese) and other once-obscure ingredients are not vegan.

So even though I originally considered myself quitting animal products cold-turkey, it was actually a gradual transition for me too.

I hope you enjoy your school year with the students, and derive all the rewards that come from the care-giving profession of education.  Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM

I hope so.  I live far enough away for it to be a pain, but close enough to be able to go once a week or every two weeks to get good quality foods an things.

I dont think you were overreacting, I think its okay to have a strong personal passionate response to something.  I know I can be pretty apathetic and I dont think thats a good thing.  I am taking a stand on this and becoming a vegan for the non violence and environmental reasons, but I am also doing it for my health.  

and thank you, I hope my students take it easy on me this year :) haha

#63 Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM

What age or grade level do you teach, and how long have you been in the field?  I taught classroom science for 7 or 8 years but that was a few years ago.  I loved the classroom dynamics (most days) and found dealing with some of (not all) parents the most challenging.  But I felt it was rewarding work that made a difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 08-30-2013, 02:08 PM

I teach 8th - 12th grade... And this is my 6th year... I really like it overall, but don't ask me that on a bad day lol
#65 Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 AM

Very old thread but I'd love to post that I am from Virginia Beach! :)

#66 Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM

B    Live to Ride

Not to puter savvy but struggling to get by.

I have been checking to see any messages, Its the only way I know to respond.

Doing well a little wet today.

Staying  Vegan and meals are getting better

Thanks for all your help

Have a beautiful day.

B

#67 Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Beginner

I live about half an hour north of Richmond. I love all the awesome vegan restaurants and I could spend all day at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in Short Pump. 

#68 Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 PM

I live close to Richmond. I do most of my vegetarian food shopping at Trader Joe's, Food Lion, Farm Fresh and local vegetable markets. All the places I shop for my food are very well stocked with various vegetarian options.

Strength is Life. Strength is felicity, life eternal, immortal. The only religion that ought to be taught is the religion of strength and fearlessness.
#69 Old 01-30-2016, 06:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to xXFiyaTheOneAndOnlyXx
I'm in northern VA :3 about an hour away from DC if traffic is good. I ship at MOM's organic market ^_^ I'm a full vegan!

Vegan and cruelty free. No honey or refined sugar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page