Virginia - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 04:14 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2003, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone!!! You might know that i'm from virginia. So I decided to post here. I live near Richmond...
#3 Old 05-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I live about an hour south of Richmond. There are a few VA people here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-18-2003, 03:03 PM

I am also from Virginia, I live in Dinwiddie and I am about 30 minutes ouside of Richmond. I like to go to the HFS in Richmond, I have been to Ellwood Thompson's, Good Foods Grocery Store and I like to go to the Asian Grocers and pick up supplies there too I like to go to the Farmers Market in Richmond in the summer and I also love picking fresh VA peaches at Chiles Peach Orchard and apples at Carter's Mountain. MMMM, VA produce! Shannon/Zimma
#5 Old 05-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to be going to Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg this fall, and I was wondering if anyone is privy to places where I can stock up on vegan supplies there. I found a HFS 3 miles from the college, so hopefully that should help. I really do have simple tastes, but it's good to know there are places where I can buy myself treats now and then.
#6 Old 05-19-2003, 11:08 PM

Anyone in VA Beach? I am wondering where I can get vegan products around here!
#7 Old 05-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegankat! You will be about 45 minutes from me. I work at Hampden-Sydney College. Are you from VA? I don't know the specifics of grocery shopping in Lynchburg, we do our basic shopping in Farmville and go to Richond for our "treats" but if there is a Kroger, it probably has a decent selection of veg. friendly products. Even in our little town the Kroger has a few good things.

Good luck to you in college! That is so exciting. If you are ever up this way stop in and say hi!!
#8 Old 05-25-2003, 08:21 PM

Greetings all! I presently live in New York, but at the end of June I will be interning at PETA in Norfolk. If all goes well I'm hoping to get a regular position with them.

I was just hoping to become freindly with anyone who knows the area and what it has to offer.

Thanks!
#9 Old 06-13-2003, 02:02 PM

Heybillmay:

I don't live in virginia beach, but a grocery that is more vegetarian friendly and carries some organic products is:

Heritage Store

314 Laskin Rd.

Virginia Beach, VA 23451

It is located right off the strip, ugh. Anyway good luck with your internship, go PETA!!

I am currently living at home for the summer, being Springfield, VA, but I go to school in Richmond (VCU Arts) and will be back there in August. Yay Elwood Thompsons!! They have good tofu that is made by Twin Oaks, the hippie commune that is like an hour away.
#10 Old 06-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

hey there!! i am moving to leesburg or thereabouts by summers end from chicago--anyone there?? i am largely unfamiliar with the area.
#11 Old 06-21-2003, 03:33 PM

hi, i live in jax, fl but i was born and raised in chesapeake, va (about 20 mins from norfolk, and va beach)

veggiekiller got there before i did on the heritage store on laskin rd. they are really great. of course being veggie isnt cheap but the heritage store makes is really worth, they have a lot to choose from.
#12 Old 06-24-2003, 07:04 PM
Beginner

there are plenty of Krogers in Lynchburg...

if you have a car and are up for a drive, try heading out to Charlottesville!
#13 Old 06-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Yaaay!

pickletatertot - No, I'm from North Carolina, but I'm really excited about living in Virginia. Lynchburg is so nice compared to Greensboro, where I live.

ampersand - About how far is Charlottesville from Lynchburg? I won't have a car, but I'm going to try to make friends with people who do?
#14 Old 06-25-2003, 08:09 PM

Hey Vegankat,

Next week I'm doing my internship at Peta. If all goes well they'll hire me and I'll be moving to Norfolk. How far are you from there? I have a car and will be in desperate need of friends.

Bill
#15 Old 06-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Norfolk is about 4 hours from Lynchburg. We can still be friends, though!
#16 Old 06-25-2003, 08:23 PM

Yes we can! I always have the weekends and I LOVE to drive
#17 Old 06-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Beginner

hmmm.. trying to think of the exact time.. maybe around an hour? or 2? right up route 29..

also, there's a great store on main street downtown.. i forget the actuall name "A breath of Fresh Air" ?? something like that

but some vegan and veggie groceries

also.. if someone you do know can get a car, and you feel really ambitious (and good with directions) i know there are a coupla Trader Joe's up in Northern VA (I Always... repeat Always, get lost in Nor. VA.. to me, it's like Labyrinth, except w/o the Muppets or David Bowie)
#18 Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 AM

Vegetarian Meetup in Bryan Park in Richmond, Va. July 26th.

I hope some of you can make it there, free food and entertainment/games and other vegetarians

Here is a link to the directions and a description of the festivities

http://www.veggiefest.org/

Hope to see some of you there, Mark and I are going

Shannon and Mark
#19 Old 07-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegankat-It's a little over an hour from Lynchburg to Charlottesville. If you go there, eat at Ming Dynasty. It's a Chinese restaurant and about 75% of their menu is veggie. They have an amazing buffet. Also, Veggie Heaven is in Charlottesville. They have a restaurant and a grocery store. If you are ever up this way (Hampden-Sydney College and Longwood University,) let me know! Best of luck to you in college!
#20 Old 07-09-2003, 08:17 PM

hey all you fellow virginians my name is kate. i am currently going to virginia tech, it's my last year. and then most likely i'll be moving to roanoke. do any of ya'll know of heath food stores around here. i've found alot of good stuff at the kroger up here, but i was just hoping for more options.
#21 Old 07-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Kate, I just read an article about several vegetarian restaurants in Roanoke! I was in a doctor's waiting room and it was a local magazine from Ronaoke. Maybe call the Chamber of Commerce and ask them if they could send you a copy? Good luck!
#22 Old 07-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Beginner

kate, are you talking about finding health foods in Blacksburg?

Annie's whole Foods, on S.main street, a bit down the road from Crossroads...

Gillie's!!!! ...

there's a place on North Main Street, Eats Natural Foods

and ditto on finding some good stuff @ Kroger

:-)

-&
#23 Old 07-14-2003, 08:13 PM

ampersand, do you live in blacksburg? i haven't been to Annie's whole foods yet, it's on my to-do list. I've only been at this about 2 weeks or so, so i'm still trying to adjust to cooking more. being as i'm so lazy, this can get somewhat of a taskhaha. but, i can't wait to go in there and see all the goodies they have! thanks for the tip
#24 Old 07-14-2003, 08:15 PM

oh! and pickletatertot, thanks so much for that, i'm going to look into it! maybe i can actually talk my boyfriend into trying one of them with me.... wish me luck
#25 Old 07-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to the Richmond Vegetarian Festival on Saturday too! (to find out more about it read zimngir's post on page 1)
#26 Old 08-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey! I live in Roanoke.. good ol' Roanoke. I'll be here for a couple more years. Health food stores... well, there are a few around here. The Co-op, Natures outlet. If you need directions.. let me know!
#27 Old 08-01-2003, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

By the way.. I know some really great vegan restaurants around too if you want to know them.. just let me know. I just ate at one downtown yesterday called Eden's Way. It is sooooo good.
#28 Old 08-07-2003, 09:16 PM

hey, im in Manassas....nobody here. la la la lala..

hehe.

so if you guy know any great vegi places near me just let me know.
#29 Old 08-08-2003, 10:16 AM

sushi8kat, do those restaurants you know of also serve meat dishes. i'm asking b/c i would want my boyfriend to feel comfortable eating there also. i think he would be up for it if there was something for him i'm new at this and have yet to venture out as far as eating in public (restaurants) what kinds of things do you like to order at these restaurants?

thanks!
#30 Old 08-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

k8k8vt

Edens Way is all vegan, but there are some restaurants downtown that have great vegan dishes that also serve meat. If you like Indian there is a place called Nawab that's great. if you are interested in natural type foods then the Co-op in grandin and Wildflour at Towers and downtown have meat and vegan options. Most places will have options for you if you ask them around here. I just haven't found much friendliness or luck at fast food restaurants and steak house places. Just let me know what you are looking for and what restaurants you have questions about.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page