Virginia - Page 9 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#241 Old 03-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Beginner

I live in Henrico County, in Richmond, VA! Hello fellow Virginians!!!!! Does anyone know about any Vegetarian festivals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Ankle Biter

Hi! June 23rd, 2007, Bryan Park. It's a lot of fun - and lots of good food! The Vegetarian Society of Richmond has one every summer.

If you would be interested in volunteering, the VSR is always looking for help!

There's also one in Charlottesville in the fall.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#243 Old 04-07-2007, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I hear the one in Charlottesville is pretty good and am going to try and make it this year. I live in Virginia Beach which is three hours from both Richmond and Charlottesville. I really want to stay at The White Pig B&B if I can make that festival...

Any more info on the Richmond one? Or anyone know of any veggie fun in Hampton Roads? I get so lonely down here with all these Omni's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#244 Old 04-07-2007, 06:38 AM

Hi! I live in Alexandria!
#245 Old 04-07-2007, 10:42 AM

williamsburg anyone?
#246 Old 04-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Hi! June 23rd, 2007, Bryan Park. It's a lot of fun - and lots of good food! The Richmond Vegetarian Society has one every summer.

If you would be interested in volunteering, the Richmond Vegetarian Society is always looking for help!

There's also one in Charlottesville in the fall.

thanks
#247 Old 04-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I hear the one in Charlottesville is pretty good and am going to try and make it this year. I live in Virginia Beach which is three hours from both Richmond and Charlottesville. I really want to stay at The White Pig B&B if I can make that festival...

Any more info on the Richmond one? Or anyone know of any veggie fun in Hampton Roads? I get so lonely down here with all these Omni's

Dh and I are staying at the White Pig next Saturday Night I'm really excited!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#248 Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

No way!! I'm so jealous We were planning on it last month but had to stay home for finacial reasons...

Please- let me know what you think! I hope it's nice weather for you two so you can stroll those gardens. Oh and the food... I can hardly imagine. I hear the woman who runs the place is awesome and a fantastic cook. Have a blast!
#249 Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, the White Pig! My husband and I stayed there for a couple of nights last year for our anniversary , and it was so nice. The owner/chef, Dina, is great, and a fantastic cook. And the pigs are so cute. As are the cats. I hope you have/had fun!
#250 Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Ankle Biter

The White Pig was pretty nice - and we had no complaints about the food at all! We stayed in the Jacob Room - the one with the big window, and it was lovely. We didn't like that there was really no way to get any ice, and thought that Dina's little notes all over the place directing us to wipe our feet, you can drink this - but don't drink that unless you pay, and to keep quiet after 10 (when we were the only ones in the house) to be a bit...well, annoying. There was no shampoo or the "crulty-free toiletries" as promised. And, it rained whe whole time we were there, so we didn't get to enjoy the paths or the pigs. We also had to open and shut that stupid gate in the pouring rain several times each day. All in all, it just didn't feel all that special - it felt like we were not completely welcome. So, I probably won't go back.

#251 Old 05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! We found Dina to be an acquired taste, per se -- for the first day and night we didn't feel particularly, uh, cozy with her (OK, OK, we thought that she didn't like us!!), but something happened on that second day that made us click suddenly (I'm not sure what it was!).

That's weird about the toiletries, too. All the shampoo and soap and stuff we needed was provided.

Anyway, we're giving Farm Sanctuary a try this year for our anniversary so we won't be going back to the White Pig this time around either. I'm sorry you guys had a rough go of it, regardless!!
#252 Old 05-28-2007, 11:41 PM

Will be going to Williamsburg this summer, and was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for vegan-friendly restaurants. Also, interested in whole food markets, or markets that carry vegan options. Thanks.
#253 Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I live pretty close to Williamsburg (about 30 minutes) I've been a bajillion times and tend to find it very difficult to find anything siutable to eat. Will you be staying in the colonial area, just outside, or near william and mary college? There's a huge difference but either way I'd have to say it's not an easy place to enjoy a good meal. I'd suggest finding places in advance near where you will be staying and calling ahead. Make a list and bring it with you. I'm doing this for las vegas for when I honeymoon there in a month Hope that helps!
#254 Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Beginner

Anyone see the story on WWBT 12 (Richmond) news tonight about the organized protest of Michael Vick when he comes to Richmond for his indictment on Thursday?

I missed the article and can't find it on their website, but I'd like to go and demonstrate.
#255 Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 PM

Have you guys been to the new sunflower restaurant already?

the address is 6304 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA 22044

if you want to check more info here is the website: www.crystalsunflower.com
#256 Old 07-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Beginner

Richmond City Councilman Doug Conner has introduced anti-chaining (dog) legislation to city council. It will be voted on in September.

If you live in Richmond or it's environs--please push city council to pass this legislation.

Send any (or all) an email!

Here is a link to their email addresses:http://www.richmondgov.com/citizen/c...v/council.aspx

Just click on the respective councilperson's picture to get their address.

Here is a copy of the email I sent. Use it or change it as you see fit. Or write a new one!

As your constituent, I would like to express my desire that you vote in favor of Councilman Conner's anti-chaining legislation this September.

In light of the recent Michael Vick indictment for dog fighting, the public is now finally aware that treating our companion animals humanely is vitally important. Please realize that many of your constituents know the chaining of domestic dogs is cruel and unnecessary.

In my Bon Air neighborhood, several dogs are chained all day, every day. I'm sure you can imagine how terrible it is to hear these dogs howl incessantly simply because they are denied human companionship and often don't have their most basic needs of food and shelter met.

Both the Humane Society of the United States and the US Department of Agriculture have said that "Our experience in enforcing the Animal Welfare Act has led us to conclude that continuous confinement of dogs by a tether is inhumane. A tether significantly restricts a dog's movement. A tether can also become tangled around or hooked on the dog's shelter structure or other objects, further restricting the dog's movement and potentially causing injury."

For your convenience, I have linked several sites devoted to chaining information below:

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affe...ring_dogs.html

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/

http://www.helpinganimals.com/ga_chained.asp

Please add your vote to Mr. Conner's so that Richmond can join the company of other Virginia localities such as Norfolk and Virginia Beach who have stood up against inhumane treatment of companion animals.

I hope that, once it is passed, the legislation will include stiff penalties for those citizens who flagrantly disregard it.

Thank you in advance for your attention to my request.

Thanks to all of you who do this!
#257 Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 AM

I'm one of the crazy northern-Virginians, haha. Anyone else in Fairfax?
#258 Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Just thought I'd bring Virginia up on the first page and say to everyone in Virginia!!
#259 Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 PM

Hello. I'm from VA. I live between Richmond and Chesterfield.

What's up?
#260 Old 11-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarie View Post

Hello. I'm from VA. I live between Richmond and Chesterfield.

What's up?

Hi DawnMarie - I'm in Chesterfield. I sure wish Ellwood Thompson was a bit closer!

#261 Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Oh that's cool that you live in Chesterfield.

I wish it was a little more lively you know?

I wish there was more to do there.
#262 Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh!! I was just complaining today that the VA thread gets no attention Good to see someone new!

Hey Poppy! I'm still planning on coming up for lunch one day when we drive through but probably not until after the holidays... sadly. I do love DC around Christmas.

In a related Virginia topic, I just found a restaraunt called Amalfi's in Norfolk that has tons of awesome vegan stuff. Even vegan chocolate (carob) cheesecake. It was a good find
#263 Old 11-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

Hey Poppy! I'm still planning on coming up for lunch one day when we drive through but probably not until after the holidays... sadly. I do love DC around Christmas.

In a related Virginia topic, I just found a restaraunt called Amalfi's in Norfolk that has tons of awesome vegan stuff. Even vegan chocolate (carob) cheesecake. It was a good find

Just let me know when you'll be through - I know it gets busy around the holidays. I'll happy to meet you most anytime - and I'm looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarie View Post

Oh that's cool that you live in Chesterfield.

I wish it was a little more lively you know?

I wish there was more to do there.

Oh yes, I know.

#264 Old 11-26-2007, 08:53 PM

Hello. Richmond/Chesterfield here. Glad to see some fellow Virginians here.
#265 Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 AM

For those of you in or close to the Roanoke area, we have just started a meetup group. It's labeled "vegan" because that's what most of us are, but vegetarians are welcome as well. Just don't expect any of us to bring cheese to the pot luck dinners. If any of you are ever in the area, please feel free to stop by one of our meet-ups.

http://vegan.meetup.com/434/
#266 Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

You are cordially invited to attend

United Poultry Concerns 8th Annual Conference

on the topic of

Cage Free, Animal Friendly, Go Vegan -Whats the Problem?

Saturday, March 29 - Sunday, March 30, 2008

This conference asks: Is there a confliict between working for welfare reforms and urging people to stop viewing animals as edibles and go vegan? Should activists work to reduce the suffering of billions of chickens and other animals who will never live to see a vegan world, or is such work counterproductive - a moral betrayal of animals? And what about terms like "humane meat," "compassionate standards," and "victory"? - What message do they send to the public? We invite you to join the discussion and hear what leaders from within the animal advocacy movement have to say about these issues.

Early Registration: $80. After March 15: $95

To registers, send check or money order to

UPC, PO Box 150, Machipongo, VA 23405.

Or register by credit card at www.upc-online.org/Forums/08forumreg.html

The Saturday session will be held at the Norfolk Hilton in Norfolk, Virginia. The Sunday session will be held at United Poultry Concerns' headquarters & sanctuary in Machipongo, Virginia. Continental breakfasts and vegan luncheons will be served both days. Transportation will be arranged from Norfolk to Machipongo on Sunday for those without cars.

Saturday, March 29 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Hilton Norfolk Airport Hotel

1500 North Military Highway ï Norfolk, Virginia 23502

Phone: 757-466-8000 * Toll Free: 800-422-7474

Room Reservation: $99 per night

Sunday, March 30 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

United Poultry Concerns

12325 Seaside Road * Machipongo, Virginia 23405

Phone: 757-678-7875

SPEAKERS:

Karen Davis, President of United Poultry Concerns

Harold Brown, President of Farm Kind

Bruce Friedrich, Vice President of PETA

Patty Mark, President of Animal Liberation Victoria in Australia

Christine Morrissey, Director of East Bay Animal Advocates (California)

Roberta Schiff, President of Mid-Hudson Vegetarian Society (New York)

Paul Shapiro, Senior Director of HSUSs Factory Farming Campaign

Presentations will be videotaped by Neil & Annie Hornish of the Compassionate Living Project

On Saturday evening, UPC members Doreen and Jim Dykes will host a wonderful buffet dinner for all participants in their lovely home in Virginia Beach.
#267 Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beki View Post

Anyone in VA Beach? I am wondering where I can get vegan products around here!

www.organicfooddepot.com

They are on Independence by the wawawhere the two independences split.
#268 Old 01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seejanepaint View Post

www.organicfooddepot.com

They are on Independence by the wawawhere the two independences split.

That's a pretty old post that you're responding too but I'm really excited you did cause I've never heard of this place! Lived here my whole life never stumbled across organicfooddepot so thank you

Welcome to veggieboards! It's good to see someone else from VB (as in VaBeach) here
#269 Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:

That's a pretty old post that you're responding too but I'm really excited you did cause I've never heard of this place! Lived here my whole life never stumbled across organicfooddepot so thank you

Welcome to veggieboards! It's good to see someone else from VB (as in VaBeach) here

I'm glad to hear it too. I'll be in VB the first weekend in March teaching a class, and it's nice to know I won't have to just pack up all my food to take with me like I usually do...
#270 Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh there's also http://www.heritagestore.com/ which is right down at the oceanfront. For a good restaraunt try: http://amalfiristorante.net/index.html in norfolk. Though many places can cater something for you not many know what vegan means. If you need any other recomendations or suggestions just let me know! I've lived in Virginia Beach my whole life It's not too unfriendly for vegans but easier for vegetarians.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page