Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 08-27-2003, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm officially in Virginia now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-27-2003, 12:56 PM

Mozzarella and Nacho Cheese in the Stoney Point Shopping center at Good Foods! They also have lots of bulk items and vegan things like carob covered rice cakes. They have lots of vegan snacks. They are really nice there and another good HFS is Ellwood Thompson's they have a deli, salad bar and bulk items, lots of frozen stuff. The Ukrops on MIdlothian has good selection and the one in Colonial Heights is almost as good. Shannon
#33 Old 08-28-2003, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Soymilk is really cheap at Wal-Mart in Lynchburg. My first vegan discovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VA, vegankat!

If you're ever in richmond the stores zimngir mentioned are very good. I go to the Midlothian Ukrops a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're getting 2 new malls this month! Yay!
#35 Old 09-06-2003, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntelligentidiot View Post

Welcome to VA, vegankat!

If you're ever in richmond the stores zimngir mentioned are very good. I go to the Midlothian Ukrops a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're getting 2 new malls this month! Yay!

Did you say.... New Malls? Where?

And I was wondering, as I never go out to eat....

Can you reccomend a good place to go out to eat?

I have been to Don Jose's in Colonial Heights and they were very accomodating to my vegan diet and I obviously have eaten at Ellwood Thompson's (I love that store)....

But I want Authentic Falafels on fresh pitas with Tabbouleh and tahini sauce, hold the cow yogurt.

I haven't tried any restaurants, I was wondering if you know of any

Ever since I saw that episode of Food 911 I have been craving Authentic Falafels. TIA!

Shannon
#36 Old 09-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Shannon, I think the Short Pump shopping center opened this weekend and the Stony Point one is supposed to open the middle of the month.

Kat, How is RMWC? That's where you are, right? I hope you are adjusting well. I heard there is a great Indian restaurant in Lynchburg that has vegan options. It's on Ward's Road but that's all I know. I want to try it out myself.

If anyone is in the Harrisonburg area...I went home this weekend and my mom took me out for my birthday. There is a new totally vegan restaurant downtown called "14 carrots." It was good. I had falafel with yummy sweet potato fries. My mom had the portobello mushroom sandwich. They make their own pita and rolls. They have a bunch of sandwiches, several appetizers, a few entrees, and some desserts. We also had tomatoes stuffed with saffron rice and kidney beans and for dessert we split the chocolate cake and cran oat squares. They are owned by the guy who owns Dave's Taverna if anyone is familiar with it. Worth a try if you are in the area.
#37 Old 09-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

RMWC is great! I love it here.
#38 Old 11-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey VA People!

Vienna, VA here.

Anybody close by?

#39 Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm across the river in Maryland. There should probably be a DC forum here to avoid having state lines prevent veg people in the area from meeting each other. Then again, for being border states, MD and VA are admittedly pretty different.

If you're in Vienna, I hope you visit Sunflower often.
#40 Old 11-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCVeg View Post

I'm across the river in Maryland. There should probably be a DC forum here to avoid having state lines prevent veg people in the area from meeting each other. Then again, for being border states, MD and VA are admittedly pretty different.

If you're in Vienna, I hope you visit Sunflower often.

Yes, I actually LOVE Sunflower (who wouldn't) and Ama's Vegetarian Kitchen.

Have you ever been?
#41 Old 11-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Sunflower is indeed completely worthy of love.

And, oh right, there is an Amma's in Vienna - I have only been to the one in Georgetown. I thought it was ok, but not nearly as good as Udupi (if you've ever dared to cross the river into MD).
#42 Old 11-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sunflower is indeed completely worthy of love.

And, oh right, there is an Amma's in Vienna - I have only been to the one in Georgetown. I thought it was ok, but not nearly as good as Udupi (if you've ever dared to cross the river into MD).

Nope can't say I have...Marylanders can be shady

Kidding of course. Never been to Udupi. Is it strictly vegan/veg? Do they have a website? You sparked my interest
#43 Old 11-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

You are suspicious of us Marylanders with good reason.

As a matter of fact, there is a web site: http://www.udupipalace.com This site covers all 3 of their restaurants, but you should be able to figure out the local one. Hint: it's not one of the Chicago locations.....

Udupi is all vegetarian although not entirely vegan. (I'm not sure if there is an Indian vegan restaurant *anywhere* - yogurt and paneer are staples in a lot of Indian cuisine). That said, they have plenty of vegan options, and the staff happily answers menu questions. The only drawback about the place is the location; it's not the kind of place where you want to go for a nice stroll through the neighborhood after dining.

Damn, I sure could go for a paper dosai right about now...... My browser is having problems with the smilies, but if I could, I would place one of the drooling faces right here.
#44 Old 11-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for your trust in my reading abilities, I indeed managed to figure out which one the MD location was It seems worth the trip.

Palak Dosai

Thin rice crepes with a layer of spinach topped with onion and chillies
#45 Old 11-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

The palak dosai is probably worth 3 drools. At the other end of the spectrum, though, are some of the items on the Udupi dessert menu. Even if I did dairy, deep-fried dry milk and cottage cheese balls just do NOT sound appealing.
#46 Old 11-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The palak dosai is probably worth 3 drools. At the other end of the spectrum, though, are some of the items on the Udupi dessert menu. Even if I did dairy, deep-fried dry milk and cottage cheese balls just do NOT sound appealing.

deep-fried dry milk? Huh, who knew

I am taking baby steps towards veganism right now. I cut out pure milk and eggs, but will still eat foods that are made with them occasionally if nothing else is around.

Also cottage cheese balls...interesting concept...NOT!! Lol
#47 Old 11-14-2003, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I truly love Indian food, but in my opinion, they are a LONG way away from mastering the dessert course. Check out the descriptions on their menu: "Homemade cottage cheese in a special condensed milk flavored with rose water and garnished with pistachio nuts." That sure doesn't sound like dessert to me.....

And I won't even speculate about their dessert consisting of "grated carrots cooked in

Horney and Butter." Man, I sure hope that's a typo........
#48 Old 11-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I truly love Indian food, but in my opinion, they are a LONG way away from mastering the dessert course. Check out the descriptions on their menu: "Homemade cottage cheese in a special condensed milk flavored with rose water and garnished with pistachio nuts." That sure doesn't sound like dessert to me.....

And I won't even speculate about their dessert consisting of "grated carrots cooked in

Horney and Butter." Man, I sure hope that's a typo........

HAHAHAHAHA
#49 Old 11-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Badam Halwa

Ground almonds cooked in Horney and Butetr

Carrot Halwa

Grated carrots cooked in Horney and Butetr

Wow, "horney" and "butetr" seem to be the main ingredient in almost all of the deserts

After talking about Sunflower I decided to treat myself to a meal there tonight

*rubs tummy in delight*
#50 Old 11-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Give the Udupi management credit for shelling out the $$ to get their business out on the web, but give 'em grief for skimping on the proofreader.

Enjoy your visit to Sunflower. (Now *I'm* feeling hungry.) Thankfully, there are no fried cottage cheese balls on THAT menu.....
#51 Old 11-20-2003, 09:50 PM

I'm in Vienna, Va., and am darned happy to have Amma and Sunflower just down the street from me

I work in Reston. China Town's a fantastic place - it's in the Reston Town Center. It's a (healthy?) Chinese restaurant that does lots of great things with soy.

Also in Reston is the Tortilla Factory (fresh Tex Mex) - most vegeterian dishes can be made vegan by yanking the cheese (and sour cream, if there's any in the dish).

There's both an Indian and an Afghan (lunch) buffet in Reston (I'd have to look up the names - they're in the K-Mart plaza in Herndon) that feature about 50% vegetarian options, tho I wouldn't want to vouch for their veganness.

In Fairfax, too, there's ooo oo oo what's the name? Um. It's a fantastic all vegetarian Indian restaurant in just off Jermantown, 29, and 50. Oo! Woodlands! Great place. Bloaty.

Amma also has a location in Georgetown, fwiw.

In DC, Pizzeria Paradiso and 2 Amys (Dupont, G-town and... near Cathedral?) make fantastic pizzas - go cheeseless for the vegan in you.

And one of the tastiest bakeries I've ever visited (AND it's VEGAN!) is Sticky Fingers, just South of Adams Morgan (South of Florida) on 18th. OMG, try the cowvin cookies!

In Rockville (? Wherever White Flint Mall is, at any rate), don't miss the Vegetable Garden and its sister restaurant whose name I've completely forgotten.

OMG, I'm all hungry now.
#52 Old 11-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemoose View Post

I'm in Vienna, Va., and am darned happy to have Amma and Sunflower just down the street from me

I work in Reston. China Town's a fantastic place - it's in the Reston Town Center. It's a (healthy?) Chinese restaurant that does lots of great things with soy.

Also in Reston is the Tortilla Factory (fresh Tex Mex) - most vegeterian dishes can be made vegan by yanking the cheese (and sour cream, if there's any in the dish).

There's both an Indian and an Afghan (lunch) buffet in Reston (I'd have to look up the names - they're in the K-Mart plaza in Herndon) that feature about 50% vegetarian options, tho I wouldn't want to vouch for their veganness.

In Fairfax, too, there's ooo oo oo what's the name? Um. It's a fantastic all vegetarian Indian restaurant in just off Jermantown, 29, and 50. Oo! Woodlands! Great place. Bloaty.

Amma also has a location in Georgetown, fwiw.

In DC, Pizzeria Paradiso and 2 Amys (Dupont, G-town and... near Cathedral?) make fantastic pizzas - go cheeseless for the vegan in you.

And one of the tastiest bakeries I've ever visited (AND it's VEGAN!) is Sticky Fingers, just South of Adams Morgan (South of Florida) on 18th. OMG, try the cowvin cookies!

In Rockville (? Wherever White Flint Mall is, at any rate), don't miss the Vegetable Garden and its sister restaurant whose name I've completely forgotten.

OMG, I'm all hungry now.

HUH!!! I am in Vienna too, also just down the road from Sunflower and Amas. Freaky!

I heard sticky fingers is great. Gotta make a trip down there soon.
#53 Old 11-21-2003, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyfish79 View Post

HUH!!! I am in Vienna too, also just down the road from Sunflower and Amas. Freaky!

I heard sticky fingers is great. Gotta make a trip down there soon.

If you're inclined to drive for food, there's a *fantastic* Thai place called T.H.A.I. In Shirlington. It's in, well, Shirlington. Good-sized veggie (all vegan AFAICT) section in the menu, plus a couple of other items scattered around. N.B., the veggie section states that all selections are made with fish sauce. In fact, they've universally removed the fish sauce from their veggie dishes.
#54 Old 11-21-2003, 09:08 PM

Are we it, then? Are any other VB folks in the NoVA area?
#55 Old 11-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm just slightly north, in Maryland, just outside the city. But well within the same restaurant range.

Highly endorse cowvin cookies. I'm thinking of going to Sunflower soon... Having a general tso's fix.
#56 Old 11-21-2003, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

I'm just slightly north, in Maryland, just outside the city. But well within the same restaurant range.

Highly endorse cowvin cookies. I'm thinking of going to Sunflower soon... Having a general tso's fix.

Mhhh....general tso...mmhhh
#57 Old 11-22-2003, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

Give a shout a day or so ahead of time and maybe we can all hook up. Heh - we all being me, you, and Bunnyfish79. Teeny little meet-up

I think I might have to run into town tomorrow for some Sticky Fingers smackers, too. Yum.
#58 Old 11-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Sweet! Lets do that sometime.
#59 Old 12-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Who just felt the earthquake!? It was a 4.5.
#60 Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard about it on the radio.. Some guy to Floyd had his wind chimes fall off his porch. We didn't feel it in Roanoke, but close by there were some reports. How fun!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page