Married to an omni, need meal suggestions/recipes! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 AM

I'm married to a meat and potatoes man and I'm having a difficult time with dinner and the occasional lunch we eat together.

I need three types of meal suggestions and recipes you like:
  1. Meals that can have meat added in at the last minute, like stir fry.
  2. Meals that have some sort of base and can be built up to be either omni or veggie, like tacos.
  3. Meals that are entirely vegetarian that are cheap and easy to prepare, like casseroles.

I've done some searching on this, and I've found a lot of good ideas, but I'd like to see what you guys like too. I'm not picky, so anything and everything goes. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

anything with pasta; eg spaghetti carbonara (with bacon for omnis), with tomato-sauce (bolognaise for omnis), with cream-cheese sauce (and ham for omnis)...

main-dish salads (with dead birds for omnis)

pizza (heat up the dead animals in an extra pot)

but this is actually the wrong place to ask such questions. why don't you look for omni recipees and leave out the meat?
#3 Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

First start out with common denominators. What dishes do both of you like that are already vegetarian, like pastas, ratatouille, pizzas, enchiladas, etc. Then think of ways you can make dishes you both like vegetarian, like with tofu and fake meats (if you like them). If worse comes to worse you can always have a portion for you cooking with out the meat.

Good luck

As for stir fry, I just use soy, lots of veggies, and tofu. You can always add chicken in. For tacos.. I love guacamole tacos... or you can do rice and black beans or whatever your heart desires. There are also a lot of great soups and casseroles. I would go to a book store and peek around in their vegetarian section or go rent books from the library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika27 View Post

anything with pasta; eg spaghetti carbonara (with bacon for omnis), with tomato-sauce (bolognaise for omnis), with cream-cheese sauce (and ham for omnis)...

main-dish salads (with dead birds for omnis)

pizza (heat up the dead animals in an extra pot)

but this is actually the wrong place to ask such questions. why don't you look for omni recipees and leave out the meat?

This isn't the wrong place to ask this question at all. Many of us are in "mixed-marriages" or relationships with omnis. I'd say this is a great place to ask the question. It's not like she's asking us how to cook meat. She just wants to know how to make their meal time a bit easier by getting some good veg recipe ideas that her hubby can adjust to his omni tastes.

OP: Chili beans and soups are great b/c the meat can be added to individual bowls after the fact. As others mentioned, spaghetti, stir-fry, etc. My husband usually just cooks the meat he's going to have and uses my veggie dishes as side dishes.

For instance, the other day, I had some squash & onions; corn, okra, and tomatoes stewed together; and an Indian spiced veggie burger. He ate the squash and corn/okra/tomato dish, and he prepared chicken to go with it. We were able to still have a meal together without much effort really. Obviously, I'd love if he'd stop eating meat, but I can't force him. So, my only rule is that he has to cook it himself. Good luck finding some things that work for you guys.
#5 Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Veggie chili with morningstar crumbles - he'll never know the difference.
#6 Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Anything in a slow cooker. Use fake ground beef, lots of root veggies, and a little veggie broth. Turn it on low power for the day, and it's ready when you get home! If you eat dairy, you can add some vegetarian cheese.
#7 Old 07-08-2009, 11:19 AM

If my husband wants to eat meat I tell him to cook his own or go out for dinner. Otherwise he can eat what I cook and be happy that I cooked it
#8 Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

i make burrito,i have refried beans and veggie items, they'll have mince and beans+veggie items

Taco salad very simplier i'll have refried beans with salad on top surround by doritos, son will have mince and refried beans,salad on top and doritos

pasta style chilli with kidney beans eat as is or add mince

normal chilli i normally have 2 saucepans on the go

spaghetti bol i have sauce with veggie items, son will have mince+sauce

Beans and rice( very good i had this last night,with lots have spices and onion)

Son will eat veggie stew and all veggie meals i make,he even commented that my veggie sausages that i fried with onion and added gravy smelt better than what he was eating
#9 Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM

My husband and I have stir fry or fajitas frequently. We cook all the veggies together and then he fixes some meat in the same pan after the veggies are done. I make various soups and we serve it with sandwiches. He puts meat on the sandwich but not in the soup. On the grill he will make burgers and I make portobellos to eat like a burger. I will make baked potatoes and top them with salsa or veggies and cheese. I have a large potato as the main dish and he has a smaller potato as a side.

Most of the meals we eat together he eats veggie anyway. Except for chile he prefers my veggie soup recipes to meat ones.
#10 Old 07-10-2009, 12:32 PM

I think the morning star veggie crumbles are a great substitute for any recipe that calls for ground beef. Experiment... just be ready to eat some bad ideas along the way. It is a learning process for everyone.

Being veggie is like any commitment... If your Baptist would you marry a Buddhist? If your a Republican, could you be with a Democrat? If your Veggie could you make it work with an Omni?

I would say that is a good question. It is abrasive, but applicable, like ReaganNC said, many of us are in mixed relationships.
#11 Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran View Post

Veggie chili with morningstar crumbles - he'll never know the difference.

some do....my parents and baby bro joe did and didnt care for it at all.
#12 Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Beginner

DH is an omni and I am vegetarian.

Meals that he makes meaty and I make vegetarian are spaghetti with sauce. He adds precooked meatballs to his portion that he microwaves to heat up.

Pasta salads sometimes he adds tuna to his pasta salad individually on his plate and I just serve mine from the main dish bowl that is vegetarian.

He has a 'meat machine' (George Foreman grill) that he cooks meat on during rare occasions to have as a side dish to the main vegetarian meal. This might be the easiest way to have someone get their meat since then I just make the main dish and the meat that he makes is like a side. And, since he just plugs it in it doesn't get disgusting juices splattered anywhere on the stove.

I would say 90% of the time he doesn't do his own thing and just eats the vegetarian main dish that either he or I prepare. We try to make yummy things so I don't think he minds the meat missing. He didn't complain until I got into cooking beans from dried using my slow cooker and he asked me to cut back on the bean meals a bit. He does enjoy the Morningstar crumbles and he has requested meals made with those before.

We use allrecipes.com for almost all of our recipes!
#13 Old 07-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaganNC View Post

My husband usually just cooks the meat he's going to have and uses my veggie dishes as side dishes.

took the words right out of my mouth - this is what we do on occasion. he'll be a good sport and eat completely vegetarian meals. he's not opposed to a vegetarian diet, which is sweet of him but at the same time i don't want to force it on him.

anyway, back to the OP, i really wouldn't be saying anything that already hasn't been said, so i'll shush now
#14 Old 07-13-2009, 07:37 AM

I find using soya mince instead of cow mince helps Some omnis miss the texture of meat when it's missing. My boyfriend made a vegan bolognese with plenty of veggies and some soya mince and 3 of his omni family ate it and loved it! They also loved the vegan cake that I made!! It was a vanilla sponge cake with lots of berries and some chocolate chips in the middle and some jam and berries on top....mmm delish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page