Talking about being Veg at work (happy story) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

So I just had to share - I think it's so cute!

I work in a homeless shelter for runaway and homeless teens, all of whom are involved with child protective services in some way. They can be a rowdy bunch, for sure. Teens in general can be challenging, but teens who are used to living on the streets without any rules?

So I have a box of frozen veggie burgers in the freezer of the shelter, and some of the boys saw me making one today and were like "what's that?" which spurred a whole conversation about being veg, why I'm veg, how long, etc. I have to be careful when I'm talking about stuff like that with them, and make sure I'm not imposing my beliefs on them in any way, because that's a boundary issue in my role as staff. But I was able to talk to them about veg*nism some, and they were really interested. Then when they had hamburgers *gag* for dinner, a few of them were like "I want a veggie burger instead!"

It just made me happy. Even though I doubt any of them will decide to be veg any time in near future, I feel like they are at least aware of it as a choice now. And they are SUCH good kids, and I love being able to have any sort of educational talk with them at all. So it was a good day! Which is good to hold on to, since I have to go back at 7am tomorrow and do another 13 hours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Whoa, that is awesome!

My cousins ate some of my Quorn at thanksgiving dinner when they asked me about it. I told them what it was (they know about my veg*nism already). I told them it was a mycoprotein and had less fat than meats and blah blah blah about the nutrients. They decided to forgo the turkey and tucked in with me since they're both in wrestling and needed to keep in their weight class.

They're still omni but they include more vegetarian protein now.
#3 Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 PM

Awesome Story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

That is a great story. Even just exposing them to the idea of vegetarianism is so awesome. You never know who you may inspire.
#5 Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

That's Fabulous

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

So I continue to be proud of "my" kids! I had to cook some chicken for them the other night. It was NASTY. But anyway, as we're eating, one of the kids says "This chicken is great - better than KFC! But KFC sucks anyway." Another kid asked why KFC was bad, and the first kid says "They pump their chickens full of drugs and genetically engineer them to have big boobs, it's awful."

I was SO PROUD!!! They had a whole discussion about how animals are treated in factory farms without me ever having to say anything. They asked me if a few things were true, which I verified, but otherwise I just sat back and enjoyed the show.
#7 Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 AM

That's a great story RedLotus.

Isn't it really refreshing when you get adults that are suppossed to be wiser and are totally against veg*ism but then you meet kids that are more open minded and can maybe think more rationally about morality than the wiser adults...

I think this is fantastic, just goes to show that these kids have some good common sense when encouraged to think for themselves especially when they don't have to constantly think of battlling the system.

#8 Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned

Awesome story .... i really liked it .....

inspiring and motivating children to follow vegetarian diet is great ...

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Erythema Erythrophobia Social phobia
#9 Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skittles View Post

That is a great story. Even just exposing them to the idea of vegetarianism is so awesome. You never know who you may inspire.

That's so true: I had forgotten about the idea of it until someone in a maths class mentioned it to me, and it there and then woke me up. Then I found VB which revealed that it wasn't going to kill me and now here I am!

And it's nice to hear about the kids at your work, RedLotus - they sound like great people.
#10 Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

It's always interesting to see who at work will be surprised about my eating. It's a big corporate place which means the cafeterias usually have something I can eat. But when we have box-lunch meetings, bleh.

Right now I'm trying to figure out whether there will be a veg option at a big corporate luncheon next week. Another organization is holding it but already we're up to seven email chains rolling around internally, trying to figure out if there will be food for me. I forgot to ask before I signed up--I want to be able to go to events without thinking of these things, but it will be a bit funny sitting with the suits and going hungry!

Even when I tried to adjust from baked beans with bacon to the recipe that doesn't have them through our own cafes/catering for our dept picnic, it was a disaster. I was smart enough to take my own food to that.
#11 Old 07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Your stories make me feel all warm and fuzzy, RedLotus! Lately I've been a bit disappointed in people my age/teens/younger people, but this is making me really happy here. Thanks for sharing with us, and be sure to keep us updated!

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#12 Old 07-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

That is such a lovely story, thank you for sharing

I work at a 24 hour emergency vet clinic and everyone here knows I am Vegan. I do not force lifestyle on anyone but I am always willing to answer any questions they may have. The have asked me to being in things for them to try and everyone open-mindedly tried it all and love the "ice cream" sandwiches and "cheesecake".

It's so nice to heart postive stories

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#13 Old 07-10-2009, 05:10 PM

I have been working on a special project at work and when my funding came through to celebrate some of my Co-workers were planning a small party and another Co-worker jumps in and says Remember Jenn is a Veggie...talk to her about what we can get that she can/ will eat....and get a Vegan Cake....I was sooooo happy...Yeah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page