VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal Fat in Cheese?

20K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Casey B. 
#1 ·
I heard somewhere that some cheeses have animal fat in them..

Is this true? And if yes, do they have to say on the packet if it does?

#3 ·
I don't think there's any cheese which actually has added fat that I've ever heard of. Obviously all cheese is high in animal fat from the milk it's made of. Do you mean fat as in from flesh like lard? I don't think so. Some cheese is non-vegetarian because it uses rennet which is an enzyme taken from an animal. I've never heard of fat being added.

#7 ·
As far as I know, cheese doesn't normally have lard added to it, no. It often has rennet, as wisdom and kotegaeshi said. Rennet is an enzyme taken from the stomach lining of calves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiebutvegan View Post

Of course cheese has animal fat in it. It is quite fattening, and made from milk, which is an animal-derived food. This is why vegans are vegan; we don't eat animal foods or animal fats at all. It is not good for your health, nor the environment, nor the animals themselves.
This is the vegetarian subforum. If you want to bash vegetarians, do it in the vegan forum, not here.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiebutvegan View Post

"This is the vegetarian subforum. If you want to bash vegetarians, do it in the vegan forum, not here.

And don't be a jerk-off, it's rude."

Name-calling is a bit silly too.
You're right, I took it out. That sort of thing just really bothers me. A lot of vegetarians have mentioned feeling attacked for not being vegan when they're posting in the vegetarian subforum, and it's this sort of thing that enforces that.

Anyway, off topic.

#10 ·
Regular dairy cheese has natural animal fat. If it's made from milk that has fat in it. Now, if the milk used to make the cheese is lowfat or fat free then the cheese will be low fat or fat free. If it's made from soymilk or rice milk it will probably not have animal fat in it, but will have whatever fat content the milk has in it, or whatever fat content (which is probably vegetable fat hopefully) that has been added to stablize the veggie cheese.

I am lacto ovo, and I am because I love cheese!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.