Animal Fat in Cheese? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 AM

I heard somewhere that some cheeses have animal fat in them..

Is this true? And if yes, do they have to say on the packet if it does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 AM

Sometimes cheese is made with animal enzymes/rennet, and sometimes it is marked on the package. There's no animal fat though...
#3 Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Beginner

I don't think there's any cheese which actually has added fat that I've ever heard of. Obviously all cheese is high in animal fat from the milk it's made of. Do you mean fat as in from flesh like lard? I don't think so. Some cheese is non-vegetarian because it uses rennet which is an enzyme taken from an animal. I've never heard of fat being added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM

Of course cheese has animal fat in it. It is quite fattening, and made from milk, which is an animal-derived food. This is why vegans are vegan; we don't eat animal foods or animal fats at all. It is not good for your health, nor the environment, nor the animals themselves.
#5 Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

legitimate question, helpful response, helpful response, bam stereotypical mad at the world vegan response.
#6 Old 06-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwardTour View Post

legitimate question, helpful response, helpful response, bam stereotypical mad at the world vegan response.

Agreed. Sometimes people forget this is a board for all types of vegetarians.
#7 Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

As far as I know, cheese doesn't normally have lard added to it, no. It often has rennet, as wisdom and kotegaeshi said. Rennet is an enzyme taken from the stomach lining of calves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiebutvegan View Post

Of course cheese has animal fat in it. It is quite fattening, and made from milk, which is an animal-derived food. This is why vegans are vegan; we don't eat animal foods or animal fats at all. It is not good for your health, nor the environment, nor the animals themselves.

This is the vegetarian subforum. If you want to bash vegetarians, do it in the vegan forum, not here.
#8 Old 06-12-2009, 10:36 PM

"This is the vegetarian subforum. If you want to bash vegetarians, do it in the vegan forum, not here.

And don't be a jerk-off, it's rude."

Name-calling is a bit silly too.
#9 Old 06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiebutvegan View Post

"This is the vegetarian subforum. If you want to bash vegetarians, do it in the vegan forum, not here.

And don't be a jerk-off, it's rude."

Name-calling is a bit silly too.

You're right, I took it out. That sort of thing just really bothers me. A lot of vegetarians have mentioned feeling attacked for not being vegan when they're posting in the vegetarian subforum, and it's this sort of thing that enforces that.

Anyway, off topic.
#10 Old 06-13-2009, 12:10 AM

Regular dairy cheese has natural animal fat. If it's made from milk that has fat in it. Now, if the milk used to make the cheese is lowfat or fat free then the cheese will be low fat or fat free. If it's made from soymilk or rice milk it will probably not have animal fat in it, but will have whatever fat content the milk has in it, or whatever fat content (which is probably vegetable fat hopefully) that has been added to stablize the veggie cheese.

I am lacto ovo, and I am because I love cheese!
#11 Old 02-05-2020, 09:46 AM

Some Cheddars...

Most clothbound cheddars are coated with lard while they are being wrapped, which means it definitely comes in contact with the outside of the cheese.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page