cravings???? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2003, 01:18 PM

I may have already asked this in this forum, but I hope not.....

What do you do when you are just starting on this journey to veganism/vegetarianism and you get a craving for some of the foods you used to eat? I miss cheese and eggs and chicken. I usually try to think of the pain and suffering the animals go through to end up before me. What are some other ideas for fending off cravings? Thanks much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Although my cravings for meat are few and far between, I found that having something with the same sort of spices usually did the trick for me. If I wanted sausage, I would eat food with fennel. If I wanted chicken curry, I would eat something with curry in it. Sometimes analoges are good, Gardenburger riblets are good and meaty. Mashed tofu is a good subsitute for scrambled eggs.
#3 Old 12-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

My cravings seem to be generated by my body not getting enough of some sort of nutrient or other. I am still ovo-lacto, but have cut back considerably. I know at first when I tried eliminating dairy completely, I would binge on dairy products because I wasn't getting what those foods provided me from other sources (protein/calcium). Once I started eating a little better and getting more complete nutrition, and the binging on dairy stopped. If I crave something like a hot-dog or hamburger or even fries, there are veg*n alternatives that satisfy those cravings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Sure. I crave fish foods a lot - probably because there is no good veg substitute.

When I do, I make veggie sushi rolls at home (it's really easy). They're not the same as sashimi (there's no substitute for ahi!) but... I try to eat something else & be done with it. If I am full, the cravings go away.

amy
#5 Old 12-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

well, i think there are a number of ways of dealing with it. one way is to simply wean yourself off of the product--consuming less and less until you don't want to consume it anymore.

otherwise, i find altneratives. Fat content, nutritional needs, diversity, and comfort are often the keys. Develope new comfort foods, consume quality fats, and get a diverse diet (both raw and cooked), seek out items with a specific nutrient that you may want (like iron, protien, or fiber) and you'll be fine.

be well and happy!
#6 Old 12-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Tabi, you're brave for admitting you have cravings if you have read some of the other threads around here.
#7 Old 12-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't personally get cravings for meat. I don't view it as food anymore. I guess I've psychologically blocked myself from meat somehow. It makes it easier to be veg anyway. The things i do crave, however, are the non-vegetarian items which do contain things like gelatin, carmine etc.

The only things I crave are curry and pizza, and sweets, and chocolate, and chips, and beer, and stuff like that. You know, the stuff that ain't good for ya! I still crave it when i'm full up. I left a curry for ten minutes, since i was full. I got a whiff of it, and literally attacked the leftovers, even though I was stuffed. Now if only I had had a kingfisher to wash it down with.
#8 Old 12-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Lately, I've been getting mad cravings for all sorts of meat! I have no idea why, other than I'm hungry. When I get the cravings, I usually just stuff myself with some yummy veggie food, and hope it passes. It always does.

I think that if someone, like me, used to love the taste of meat, it's only natural that they will crave it every now and again. The important thing is not to give in!!
#9 Old 12-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

instead of completly giving up meat, dairy and eggs all at once try slowly weaning yourself off, like first stop eating meat, then eggs then milk. That helped me a lot when I became veggie, although I'm having trouble becoming vegan.

Find some yummy veg subsitutes
#10 Old 12-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I was a cheese FANATIC before I gave up dairy. It was hard, but it does become easier over time. There are some wonderful cheese substitutes that help fill the gap--not to buy, but that you can make yourself. PM me if you want my recipes. I have some fake chicken recipes that are excellent too.
#11 Old 12-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

i think of things that turn me off from the craving

i also eat substitutes

and if i cant find a substitute, ill just eat something i Really like that is vegan

i order expensive vegan treats online for times like those too
#12 Old 12-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

*MOD POST*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pee Wee's Pants View Post

Tabi, you're brave for admitting you have cravings if you have read some of the other threads around here.

We are trying very hard to bring a community feel back to VB, so please keep comments like these to your self.

Thanks...
#13 Old 12-09-2003, 06:12 PM

i always found that my cravings were protein and sugar related and so i stocked up on nuts and vegan chocolate. also if you've eaten all the craving food you have chai tea can be kickass
#14 Old 12-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm, I've really never had any meat cravings. Though at the moment, I'm becoming lacto-ovo, and one day when I was looking in the freezer for what to get out for dinner, I saw this sweet and sour chicken ready to eat dish, which really got me! I think if I became vegan though I would have alot more dairy related cravings

EDIT: I didn't actually eat the sweet and sour chicken dish
#15 Old 12-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I had horrible meat cravings about 2 months after becoming vegetarian. The weird part was that I was craving red meat - which I hadn't eaten in at least a year. I took it as a sign that my body needed extra nutrients (probably protein and iron) so I upped my intake. I also ate quite a few veggie burgers in the mean time. Eventually the craving just went away. As it stands, the only cravings I've noticed myself getting are for peanut butter and chocolate. Anyone have a recommendation for vegan chocolate products? I recently cut out cheese too.. so far so good but I expect I will have cravings in the future. Vegan cheese, so far, has not been very tasty so I think I'll be PMing MollyGoat for recipes.
#16 Old 12-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I went from omni to vegan just a couple of months ago, but when I have the occasional non-seacritter meat craving, and it's really overwhelming, I like to go to an Indian buffet and just load up with lots of yummy vegan things. I think most of my cravings have been fat-based, and I have a few fatty, satisfying vegan comfort foods, like avocados, peanuts, and salt 'n vinegar chips. As far as the seafood cravings, I've just held on tight and let them pass. I'll have to go get veggie sushi sometime.
#17 Old 12-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Beginner

I have no meat cravings, especially pig/pork in any form. I think this is the most awful form of meat to consume. If anything, if I have a hangover I'll crave a burger but then its easy enough to make a veg burger with all the fixings.
#18 Old 12-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Banned

I haven't really had cravings, but every time I think about some kind of cruelty-related food, such as when somebody else is eating it or talking about it, I picture where it came from. So I get these pictures of cows, chicken, pigs, et cetera in my head and I almost want to cry when I think of their suffering. I think I do this so that I never forget their sorrow and pain.
#19 Old 12-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Beginner

Some chick was just over at our place tonight, talking how she was craving veal scallopine. I'm like what in the hell do you see in eating a baby cow? Do you know what happens to baby cows? The chick didn't even know that veal was baby cow. She thought it was just some cut of beef. I filled her in on the cruel, awful short lives veal calves lived and she was in disbelief. I told her to go on the internet, check it out herself. She said she'd never eat it again if what i said was true.
#20 Old 12-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

When you get cravings, try and think about what actually happened to get the food on your table. Seeing bloody racks of meat hanging from a ceiling somehow makes anything involving meat a whole lot less appetizing.

And then eat something else yey for food!

~Mollie~
#21 Old 12-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

For me, it's different with different foods. The moment I finished reading Mad Cowboy I stopped eating beef, and haven't since then. That was a year ago, and I've never felt the urge to get close to a hamburger. The smell no longer appeals.

However, I do occasionally crave meat; usually around that time of the month, and probably because my iron is low or I simply crave comfort food. One morning my boyfriend was making chicken, and I ate some. Then I basically had a panic attack, realizing that there was a dead animal inside my body, and made myself throw up (it wasn't hard). Haven't been anything but disgusted by chicken since then.

I may eventually have to deal with the pork or seafood issues, and if it takes getting sick over it to make me realize I don't want them anymore, I'm prepared.

I never ate eggs, so I don't miss them. I do crave cheese occasionally, but I try to listen to my body and fogure out what nutrient it is that I need, and get it from some non-cruel source.
#22 Old 12-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pee Wee's Pants View Post

Some chick was just over at our place tonight, talking how she was craving veal scallopine. I'm like what in the hell do you see in eating a baby cow? Do you know what happens to baby cows? The chick didn't even know that veal was baby cow. She thought it was just some cut of beef. I filled her in on the cruel, awful short lives veal calves lived and she was in disbelief. I told her to go on the internet, check it out herself. She said she'd never eat it again if what i said was true.

That's weird. I knew about veal before I went vegetarian. A lot of omnis do know it, but I think they try not to think about it if they happen to eat it (for most, if they do eat veal, it's rarely since it's considered a "luxury" ).

I don't crave meat at all anymore. I did when I first went veg--especially during the first couple of Thanksgivings and Christmases.

Having just given up dairy, I crave cheese a lot. I'm trying to get past it by just eating a lot of things that are delicious without having cheese involved. I crave ice cream and chocolate a lot too, but there's a lot of great vegan alternatives out there for those, so it's not as hard.
#23 Old 12-10-2003, 02:52 PM

sometimes bacon ... but i usually eat a veggie burger instead!
#24 Old 12-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I kind of pretend I'll die if I eat it. After a while, things you used to love start to seem really gross. I used to love cheese, but now it reminds me of mucous.
#25 Old 12-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Give yourself some time. The worst for me was cheese. But now it looks fatty and gross--especially puddled with grease on top of pizza.
#26 Old 12-10-2003, 10:33 PM

i sometimes get seafood cravings....mostly for tuna.

i usually just remind myself that i'm really just craving stuff like the protein that's in it.

i'm lucky in the fact that i never really liked meat ever anyway. and if i did ever eat it, i was always so beyond picky about it....because i was grossed out by anything that identified it as an animal...like fat, skin, bones, gristle, ect. then i was like..why am i even eating this at all?

but cheese...i love cheese.... i don't know if i could ever give it up completely 100% forever.

i don't like milk and i hate eggs however, so i'm a-ok in those departments.
#27 Old 12-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

My cravings are mainly for baked goods from specific places... Bojangles biscuits, cheese danishes from Smoak's, pumpkin muffins from ABC, etc. They are extremely difficult to quell, but hopefully they will quiet with time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page