First Bad experience - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegetarian for about a year now and haven't had many problems in terms of dealing with people. I just had my first bad experience. At work, we have these representatives that come in every Friday to give presentations. They bring lunch and are told that there are 2 vegetarians. It's been no problem. Well the representatives came in and brought Thai food. There were spring rolls. I asked if they were vegetarian. The guy said they were. I ate it and it seemed fine. Then my friend ate one and said she thought there were chicken in them. I asked the guy again and he said yes. And then he said he was joking. And then he said, no there was actually chicken. He thought this was helarious. I was fuming and told him to stick the spring roll where the sun don't shine. Why do some omnis think it is so funny to trick us into eating something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Aurora Lily, I'm sorry I've been such a delinquent e-mailer. Work has been nuts.

I haven't been in a situation yet where someone tries to trick me into eating meet, at least not that I know of. I have no idea why they would think it is funny, other than that they really don't grasp how seriously we take our decision, and that it is based largely on ethical reasons. I would imagine that they see it as similar to trying to convince a dieter to eat chocolate-- a "no no" for someone who is dieting perhaps, but certainly not morally offensive. Either that or they're total a-holes.

It is difficult to be in that situation in a workplace. I hope you didnt take any flack from your boss for telling that guy where to go. Being tricked into eating animal flesh is NOT funny, is NOT a joke, and you are right for being ticked off about it.

On a side note, my aunt was recently flabbergasted to learn of my vegetarianism. I've been veg*n for almost a year and a half, so it's not like it's news. She seemed like she was absolutely stunned by it.
#3 Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

cause they are pricts! ive had people try to pull that on me. but im wicked carefull what i eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

i would have told him that he was being terribly disrespectful of my choices for my body and that i didn't appreciate his humor.

if he continued, i would have made a comment to his superior.
#5 Old 12-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd have talked to him in private, and given him a good mouthing off, had this happened to me. I'd have also told the boss about it.
#6 Old 12-09-2003, 04:15 PM

What an immature thing for him to have done to you. I'm so sorry that you had to put up with this.
#7 Old 12-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

wow, that sucks. That could have been really dangerous if someone was allergic to chicken or something. I say next time you see him you should trick him eating something weird, like dog food Pretend its granola or something
#8 Old 12-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

It'd make it so tempting to say, "we love your presentation!" then say "just kidding we hated it, you're not welcome back - ever".

It's a good thing you didn't have any side effects from eating it though. Trying to trick someone into eating something's just wrong -- especially since you never know why they don't eat something
#9 Old 12-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

i would have told him to expect a lawsuit since he doesnt know whether A) you are allergic to chicken and B) eating chicken goes against your religion

im not saying go out and sue him, but scare him

also, contact his supervisor and inform them

and also inform your boss, since after all, does your company really want to handle business with a company whos employees are that trustworthy?
#10 Old 12-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

That's pretty much what I would do, too, scarey. Contact the company and tell them that your rep tricked 2 vegetarians into eating chicken and that the act was NOT APPRECIATED. Make sure they know that no one is considering lawsuits (yet), but the rep has broken trust, so you would like a new rep to service the account since there's NO WAY you can trust the current rep to do what he says he will do or will not do.

But if you don't have that kind of authority (and most of us do not), I would simply never never never eat again what that rep has brought in for the company. If he asks why, simply tell him "You tricked me and one other vegetarian into eating chicken. I do not eat chicken and thanks to you, I was very very ill for days following (ok, you may not have been physically ill, but you were emotionally ill and in my book: it's the same thing). I have come to the desision that since you do not know the difference between vegetarian and non-vegetarian items, and since you think it's funny to trick someone into eating something they don't normally eat which is a very dangerious practice what, with people that are FATALLY ALLERGIC TO THINGS AND WHATNOT (stressing those words to him and hoping he gets it), I will simply avoid any and all things you bring in from now on".

But speeches aside, I send you for what you had to put up with.

Some people's kids. You can't live with 'em, and you can't them when you want to!
#11 Old 12-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareyvegan View Post

i would have told him to expect a lawsuit since he doesnt know whether A) you are allergic to chicken and B) eating chicken goes against your religion

im not saying go out and sue him, but scare him

also, contact his supervisor and inform them

and also inform your boss, since after all, does your company really want to handle business with a company whos employees are that trustworthy?

I was going to say practically the same thing.
#12 Old 12-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. After I told him to shove it, I told him that chicken would make me violently ill (a slight exaggeration). I think he learnt his lesson. I called the restaurant where they food came from and got the ingredients and the 'chicken' was actually TVP. Now I know why it's just easier to eat at home!!!
#13 Old 12-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe, I'm immature, I would have thrown it at him.
#14 Old 12-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

that is so wrong. and i go with what scareyvegan said.
#15 Old 12-10-2003, 01:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe if you vomited in his lap he would have got the message.

To me his thinking it was so funny would have pissed me off the most; I probably would have contacted his supervisor for sure.
#16 Old 12-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraLily View Post

Why do some omnis think it is so funny to trick us into eating something?

Omni or veg, some people are jerks, that's just the way it is.

It's up to you and the situation if you argue with the representative or not. But I'd definitely make sure I talk to his superior. This is not even about veg*nism. It's about making rude and inappropriate jokes. People like that are expected to have some basic people skills.
#17 Old 12-10-2003, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd complain or sue.
#18 Old 12-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Banned

I had some omnivores do that sort of thing to me. So, of course, I am now very anti-omni.
#19 Old 12-10-2003, 05:11 AM

Aww sweety I'm sorry this happened to you. Some people are just mean.

Have you tried talking to this representative? Or his/her superior?

If this were me I"d complain to his superior, it's really about respect.

and this representative is lacking in that area
#20 Old 12-10-2003, 05:17 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'd definately have a word with his superior. If he is untrustworthy with things he considers "trivial", how much more likey is it that he will be untrustworthy when he makes to stand a profit from his lying? Even if he was being plain immature, just what kind of client relations does he have? Yikes, he's meant to be representing his company, surely. I'm not saying get him into trouble, I just think he needs to learn about workplace and customer relations.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page