Ewwww!!! There's meat in this!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-08-2003, 11:01 PM

What would you do if you go out to eat with some meat eating friends to a restuarant that has both meat and veg*n dishes, you're enjoying your cruelty-free meal, tastes wonderful. You fill your fork with more, and just as you're about to stuff your face, you look at the fork... and... what's that?

Looks like.... naw... it couldn't be... you ordered the vegetable stir-fry...

But it is... what do you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-08-2003, 11:26 PM
Beginner

You call the waiter over and show them and tell them you want a refund. Then order a green salad so that they can't sneak meat in it.
#3 Old 12-09-2003, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

If meat made it into my vegetarian dish, I would absolutely ask for a replacement dish and a refund.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

generally, i'll pick around the meat, be disgusted, have to stop eating. then, i point it out and ask for a refund ot discount. then, i complain about it to the management. then, i complain about it to my husband after we leave. then, i go and find something vegan in my "car snacks" box.
#5 Old 12-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha zoebird.

I HATE wasting food but in this circumstance I will. I've scraped cheese and mayo off sandwiches before, but I won't pick chicken out of my pad thai (which is traditionally meatfree.)

I'd ask the waiter for another one!
#6 Old 12-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd definately ask for another one. At the moment I still eat chicken and fish, but when at a restaurant I'm more inclined to have a vegetable dish, but the meat can so easily be confused. But yeah, it's not acceptable, some omnis may think what is the big deal, but I would ask for a refund or another dish.
#7 Old 12-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

I would kick up stink, question how it happened (in a nice way - don't want the chef spitting on any replacement), and what they can do to sort the situation. I would certainly stop eating (but to be honest I'm anal enough about this that if I had any doubts I would ask before starting, I have regular pushed around food with questionable ingrediants, if I don't get a good answer, I won't consider eating it, even f I'm starving hungry).
#8 Old 12-09-2003, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm curious as to why you pointed out that you were dining with meat-eating friends, as if what they eat should change how you react. Pointing out a botched order in a restaurant is never wrong, and an upset reaction is completely justified when a vegetarian is served meat. I would expect a meat eater to react similarly if she/he was, say, allergic to peanuts but found them in the dish after asking them to be excluded in the order.
#9 Old 12-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

My friend and I (both veg) were out to dinner with a bunch of coworkers once, and barring anything veg on the menu, we both ordered a salad that usually contains chicken and bacon, but without them. (had other good stuff like avocado in it!) So my salad comes, and there's a big pile of bacon on it. I pointed it out to the waiter, and he responded (and i quote) "Bacon is meat?"

Yes, yes it is.

I sent it back to the kitchen to be REPLACED, and he brings back a very familiar looking salad. After poking at it for a minute, I found that same bacon under some lettuce. I called the waiter over and told him it STILL had bacon in it, and I didn't want this salad again, I wanted a NEW salad with NO BACON! He turned to my friend (who was also cautiously poking at hers) and said "I guess you want a new one too?" and she said "Yup!" and handed him the bowl. Idiots.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 12-10-2003, 05:45 PM

i'd definitely ask for my money back or ask for a new meal.

i will not eat anything that has been cooked or on the same plate as a piece of meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page