Oh no! I accidentally ate chicken! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel SO bad. We ordered thai food, and some genius had the bright idea to put the lemongrass tofu RIGHT next to the lemongrass chicken. They look remarkably similar. as I was washing dishes I wanted a piece of tofu to eat, so I grabbed what I thought was tofu. I chewed it and realized the texture was way off and it had a distinct, non-tofu flavour. I spit it out right away, but I'm worried I might've accidentally eaten some chicken when I ate my dinner. Uggh. I feel so bad and icky. I can't believe I had meat in my mouth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

That sucks, I'm sorry about that. I'm sure it was quite a shock
#3 Old 05-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Beginner

That's a shame, but at least you got to spit it out before it sat in your stomach. That would bother me too though, sorry that happened to you. Don't feel bad though, it was an honest mistake, everyone makes them. It'll be okay. At least you know that you don't actually eat that stuff.

Once my friend decided she would throw some goldfish across the room into my mouth so I opened my mouth and caught one and once it was in my mouth I realized it was a cheddar goldfish. I spit it out and felt pretty silly that I didn't realize it was cheesy beforehand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

^^^ i really wondered what you meant till i got to the 'cheesy' bit. you mean the crackers, right? not actual goldfish?
#5 Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Beginner

This happened to me at a restaurant once. It was a bit of bacon and I felt kind of sick after I found out what it was.
#6 Old 05-25-2009, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

aw, that's awful. it would ick me out too, but you mustn't feel guilty, it wasn't your fault
#7 Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh that's no fun. Happened to me last week too. We were eating at a pub and my friend ordered a platter and I swiped what I thought was a breaded mushroom but was popcorn chicken!
#8 Old 05-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_veggie View Post

That's a shame, but at least you got to spit it out before it sat in your stomach. That would bother me too though, sorry that happened to you. Don't feel bad though, it was an honest mistake, everyone makes them. It'll be okay. At least you know that you don't actually eat that stuff.

Once my friend decided she would throw some goldfish across the room into my mouth so I opened my mouth and caught one and once it was in my mouth I realized it was a cheddar goldfish. I spit it out and felt pretty silly that I didn't realize it was cheesy beforehand.

I was babysitting once, the cutest little two year old. he was eating goldfish and was trying to feed me one, but of course, I wasn't going to eat cheddar. He looked sad that I kept refusing them, so finally I just put it in my hand and made eating noises!

I know it was an honest mistake, but I just feel so gross, I had it in my mouth! Thanks everyone, it's a new day, and next time I'll make sure I know what I'm eating.
#9 Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 AM

It happens, and is nothing to worry about. Once I was at one of those outdoor fairs and was offered a complimentary chocolate brownie.

I took a bite and immediately could taste and feel the texture of ground beef! I went to the nearest waste can and spit it out, but in a brownie? That struck me as straight-up weird. So I went back to the kiosk where they were giving them away and asked the woman what, exactly, she was passing out. It turns out, the brownie stand was sponsored by some cattle organization, and they were trying to "educate" people about using beef products in new and original ways.

Sure enough, she had printed recipes for 100% Pure Beef Chocolate Brownies. I still have a copy of the recipe somewhere... (LOL)
#10 Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Accidents happen, and that's what it was, an accident. You mistook the chicken for tofu, so it's okay. It's happened to a lot of us. We had a pizza party at work, and somebody was pointing to a particular pizza and telling me it's vegetarian and that was eggplant on it, so I took a bite, and it turned out to be sausage! Dummy me, I couldn't tell the difference - then. I do now.

I suppose this kind of thing happens to people because a skillful cook will make plant ingredients look like animal ingredients, such as tofu looking like chicken (and vice versa). Don't beat yourself up over it. Be glad you caught it in time.

*this space not for sale*
#11 Old 05-25-2009, 11:29 AM

Oh, gosh. That sucks.

I can relate, though. I once had pasta with tomato sauce that ended up being ground up cow sauce and didn't realize it until I had finished the whole deal. I guess I just became too trusting of the place because it had never happened before. Felt nauseous for a day or two after that...

So look on the bright side. At least it didn't find its way into your stomach. I've learned to Always! inspect my food before I eat it, unless I made it myself, of course. I'd recommend you do the same... better to be safe than sorry.
#12 Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzan View Post

It happens, and is nothing to worry about. Once I was at one of those outdoor fairs and was offered a complimentary chocolate brownie.

I took a bite and immediately could taste and feel the texture of ground beef! I went to the nearest waste can and spit it out, but in a brownie? That struck me as straight-up weird. So I went back to the kiosk where they were giving them away and asked the woman what, exactly, she was passing out. It turns out, the brownie stand was sponsored by some cattle organization, and they were trying to "educate" people about using beef products in new and original ways.

Sure enough, she had printed recipes for 100% Pure Beef Chocolate Brownies. I still have a copy of the recipe somewhere... (LOL)

Wow... that must've been a shock. I never would've suspected ground cow or anything like that in a brownie. I mean, I would assume it had eggs or something, but not actual flesh. That's just really nasty.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Myrtlemaneet, it sucks that happened to you. I would have been so grossed out!

Anzan, that has to be the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.
#14 Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

^^^ i really wondered what you meant till i got to the 'cheesy' bit. you mean the crackers, right? not actual goldfish?

Goldfish are a brand of cheesey fish-shaped crackers popular in the US.
#15 Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

oh. dear. god.

I don't know whether to or !
#16 Old 05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

oh. dear. god.

I'm having the same problem as you.

When you started talking about brownies I assumed you would realize it had eggs or something in it, but beef? I never saw that coming! And IMO, kind of rude of the woman to not mention it when she was handing it out. What if you were allergic?
#17 Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, it was an accident. Don't feel bad. That chocolate beef browine recipe makes me want to
#18 Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Beginner

Beef brownie?! The hell?

#19 Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Beginner

I ate meat at my bf's birthday the other night accidently What I thought was spinach in these little pasta rolls, was actually meat. I only had a tiny bite though. I was SO upset, I felt really gross. It's the first time I've eaten meat in over a year. I wanted to cry- The taste was so disgusting. Yuck.
#20 Old 05-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

All I can say is if you see a perfectly cylindrical vegetable in your tempura, it might be crab. I learned that the hard way. What was even worse was we had ordered vegetable tempura and I grabbed it enthusiastically because I wanted to see what the mystery vegetable was!
#21 Old 05-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

People actually spit it out? Isn't that going a little overboard? I've written this before, but here goes any way (I should know better, but I can't help myself ):

If it's on my plate and I've already had some, I'm just going to eat it. People are starving to death right now and not a few, but far too many. Because of this I'm not going to throw away any food (I assume it all just got binned). I saw someone throw away a few dozens of unopened loafs of bread, and this disgusted me to no end. I'm not doing it.
#22 Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

If it's on my plate and I've already had some, I'm just going to eat it. People are starving to death right now and not a few, but far too many. Because of this I'm not going to throw away any food (I assume it all just got binned). I saw someone throw away a few dozens of unopened loafs of bread, and this disgusted me to no end. I'm not doing it.

How is you not throwing something away going to help starving people? The nutrients you get won't be transported to the starving people's bodies.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#23 Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

How is you not throwing something away going to help starving people? The nutrients you get won't be transported to the starving people's bodies.

It's about the mentality. And also, too much food gets wasted, and no one gives a damn about it. Guess it keeps production up...
#24 Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's about the mentality.

Well to some it's indeed about the mentality: the problematic mentality that it's okay to see non-humans' bodies as "food". We've been through this before though. But how about one round for old times' sake?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#25 Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

Quote:

100% Pure Beef Chocolate Brownies.

oh. dear. god.

I don't have a sensitive stomach by any means, but wins out for me- hands down! Chocolate goes well with many things- nuts, orange, banana... but I would not have touched chocolate meat even back in my beef-eating omni days.

Thoram, I think I understand your view. I generally give such flesh to a cat or dog though (unless I have reason to think it might make the cat or dog sick- for example, onion isn't good for cats).

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#26 Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well to some it's indeed about the mentality: the problematic mentality that it's okay to see non-humans' bodies as "food". We've been through this before though. But how about one round for old times' sake?

Yes, we have. Here goes:

Life forms on this planet can be used as food sources. This is a fact. Further more, when I see a piece of meat in the supermarket, I see food, and when I see a living animal, I see just that, an animal, and most certainly not a walking piece of meat. Same applies to vegetables. When I see them in the supermarket, I see food, and when I see them grow in the field, I just see a bunch of plants. Of course seeing a whole fish packaged in the supermarket is a grizzly reminder of where meat comes from, and then I actually see a fish...

In my opinion seeing meat as food isn't the problem, but the mentality that it's okay to kill animals for food, while we don't have to, is. As for 'not food for humans', well, some people still live in the wild environment, and they probably don't have a choice (grab what you can or die).

Anyway, the problem is that in the modern world there is the idea that it's okay to waste things and food. It didn't use to be like that. Things like consumer machines aren't made as well as they used to be. If they break, just throw'm away and get a new one. This wastes a lot of recourses just to make lots of money.

Something similar applies to food. A lot of food is wasted, witch was thus produced for nothing, while it could have been produced where it's needed the most (or so I hope). And this is exactly the reason why I think that people should buy what they eat. Bought the wrong food? Give it away. You can't? Then eat it, unless you have health issues. And in the case of meat that sucks.
#27 Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Life forms on this planet can be used as food sources. This is a fact. Further more, when I see a piece of meat in the supermarket, I see food, and when I see a living animal, I see just that, an animal, and most certainly not a walking piece of meat. Same applies to vegetables. When I see them in the supermarket, I see food, and when I see them grow in the field, I just see a bunch of plants. Of course seeing a whole fish packaged in the supermarket is a grizzly reminder of where meat comes from, and then I actually see a fish...

'Food' is a partly normative concept, not merely descriptive. Different cultures see different animals as "food", so seeing something (or someone) as 'food' is a political/cultural/moral choice. I prefer to make the choice of not seeing sentient beings (or their severed bodies) as food.

Quote:
In my opinion seeing meat as food isn't the problem, but the mentality that it's okay to kill animals for food, while we don't have to, is.

I don't think those two mentalities can be separated as cleanly as you think they can.

Quote:
Anyway, the problem is that in the modern world there is the idea that it's okay to waste things and food. It didn't use to be like that. Things like consumer machines aren't made as well as they used to be. If they break, just throw'm away and get a new one. This wastes a lot of recourses just to make lots of money.

Something similar applies to food. A lot of food is wasted, witch was thus produced for nothing, while it could have been produced where it's needed the most (or so I hope). And this is exactly the reason why I think that people should buy what they eat. Bought the wrong food? Give it away. You can't? Then eat it, unless you have health issues. And in the case of meat that sucks.

To me, the greatest waste was when the chicken or other animal was killed, when his/her precious, unique life was destroyed for some selfish, trivial culinary preferences. There is no way to un-do that extreme wastefulness, and treating the victim's body parts as "food" that might "go to waste" only reinforces the mentality that motivated the act of violence to begin with. That piece of flesh came from a someone; it's not just some item that you consume like a battery or a napkin.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#28 Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

'Food' is a partly normative concept, not merely descriptive. Different cultures see different animals as "food", so seeing something (or someone) as 'food' is a political/cultural/moral choice.

Oh, how humans make everything difficult. If you can eat it and get nutrients from it, it's food, it doesn't matter what it is. That's how nature works. I just look at the biological aspects of it. This, of course, means that humans are included in what can be used as a food source by humans.
Quote:

I prefer to make the choice of not seeing sentient beings (or their severed bodies) as food.

Witch makes sense when looking at food from a political/cultural/moral view point, but not from a biological one.
Quote:

I don't think those two mentalities can be separated as cleanly as you think they can.

Yeah, you're right. It's going to be hard to get people to see that. Well, at least it's quite clear to me. Let animals be food sources for carnivores, and I'll stick to non-animal sources of food. I think it's important to realize that all life (humans included) can be used as food for most life forms, and that we don't have to do what the rest of nature does. In the end it all comes down to the same thing: we both don't use animal products

Quote:

To me, the greatest waste was when the chicken or other animal was killed, when his/her precious, unique life was destroyed for some selfish, trivial culinary preferences. There is no way to un-do that extreme wastefulness, and treating the victim's body parts as "food" that might "go to waste" only reinforces the mentality that motivated the act of violence to begin with. That piece of flesh came from a someone; it's not just some item that you consume like a battery or a napkin.

Oh, I agree. The animals shouldn't have been killed in the first place. Such a waste of life, indeed. The point here is that the damage has already been done, at witch point the life has been turned into food.

Of course I understand where you are coming from, but since the damage has already been done, it doesn't even matter anymore, all I can do then is not let the food go to waste. Very sad, I know, and I must admit it's quite a hypothetical case for me. No one is going force their meat onto my plate, and I make sure people know I don't like the whole animal product consumer industry bullcrap, and they ain't gonna give me lip about it, either, because if they do, I'm gone.

It's just that I have a big problem with wastefulness, and sadly this applies to foods witch come from animals, too.
#29 Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 AM

Since that bit of chicken was going to be eaten by someone else at the table its not as if you contributed to the death of that chicken (as opposed to buying meat from butcher where you are "dollar voting").

Nothing like this has happened to me before however I did realize 2 minute noodles contained chicken fat 2 months into being vegetarian (now I only eat the oriental ones).
#30 Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Oh god I'm sooo sorry! I went to mandarin house back before I was a vegan and got what I thought was a spring role, took a bite, tasted something funky, looked and found cow in my roll. I spit it out in time though! Thank god!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page