Going veg*n after having kids - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not. My apologies if it is not.

I know this is an odd kind of question but I'm curious...

I've been a vegetarian for 5 months now. My husband and children have not made the switch and I don't want to force it upon them. I'm pretty sure my hubby will always eat meat. He's not rude to me about my decision but he's made it very clear that he doesn't want to be a part of it. He does eat vegetarian meals on occasion, but I know he has no interest in giving up meat totally.

But I'm curious, for anyone who has ever gone veg*n but their family hasn't, did your kids ever make the switch?

See both of my children did show an interest at one point. My 13 year old daughter actually gave up meat for 2 weeks and my son (7 at the time) gave up meat for 4 days. Both have been eating meat for about 2 months since. My daughter has shown no more interest but my son (now 8) does still talk to me about it. Sometimes he'll ask for a "vegetarian dinner" and other times it's the furthest thing from his mind.

It kind of makes me hopeful for him, and my daughter even. I would love it if they eventually made the switch.

I think where my son is concerned I'm going to start offering him more vegetarian meals, and mock meats from time to time. Again, I don't want to force it but it's hard not to want to encourage him when he does continue to show an interest.

Thanks for any stories, advice you can share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 PM

This is an interesting question for me as well, since I'm going through it at the moment myself. Part of the problem is that I've always been adamant that I am not a short-order cook, I will only make *one* dinner for everyone, and they can eat it or not eat it. Now...I'm eating something different. So what I'm trying to do is make slightly larger dinners, lighter on the meat, heavier on the veggies and sides.

The other night was spaghetti and meatballs (DS's birthday request). My children asked me about the "beanballs" I made (in addition to the meatballs), but no one asked to try any. (Even my DS, who loves bean burritos to pieces, didn't want one.)

I am hoping that they will gradually get interested in new things watching me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page