Crap crap crap! I'm pissed [didn't read the label] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been veg almost 2 months, and twice I've made this tofu red curry thing using a red curry simmer sauce I bought. Afterward I remembered that fish or oyster sauce is used a lot in Asian food so I looked at the label and there it was- fish sauce I'm so mad! I just forgot to look at the label, and if I had I would have noticed it actually said "contains: fish" below the ingred list. Arrrrgh I was doing so well too. I know I shouldn't feel bad b/c I didn't know, but still it really bothers me. I just felt like I needed to confess, and if anyone had something similar happen to them please share, it might make me feel a little less guilty :-\\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Aw the thing to always remember is it wasn't intentional. Yea I love creamy soup and since going veg I hadn't noticed until recently Campbells Cream of Broccli has Chicken broth gahh.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#3 Old 05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

On occasion I would snack on a bowl of dry frosted mini wheats, so so yumtastic and all the different flavors... And then one day on a whim I looked at the ingredient list... gelatin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

Aw the thing to always remember is it wasn't intentional. Yea I love creamy soup and since going veg I hadn't noticed until recently Campbells Cream of Broccli has Chicken broth gahh.

exactly...

if you're doing this diet for personal purity, that's one thing.

But if you're doing it for the care of animals, it's more the intentions.

I've had unintentional slip ups too.
#5 Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierissie View Post

On occasion I would snack on a bowl of dry frosted mini wheats, so so yumtastic and all the different flavors... And then one day on a whim I looked at the ingredient list... gelatin.

Oh wow I didn't know about that one, but I don't really eat cereal....why the hell does it need gelatin in it??
#6 Old 05-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm beginning to realize that anything I grew up eating is no longer suitable lol My parents bought a lot of processed foods and garbage...
#7 Old 05-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it sucks, and it happens. To all of us. Don't worry too much about it, just dust yourself off and move on.
#8 Old 05-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Yeah, it sucks, and it happens. To all of us. Don't worry too much about it, just dust yourself off and move on.

Yup.

You've learned a lesson the hard way - those are the ones that "stick"!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishuponastar View Post

I'm beginning to realize that anything I grew up eating is no longer suitable lol My parents bought a lot of processed foods and garbage...

LOL, i feel this same way. If I ate it as a kid, I need to find a new brand or not eat it
#10 Old 05-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

The other day I had some really delicious fake-chicken nuggets. I ALWAYS check ingredients when in the grocery store, especially if it is something I've never had before, so I honestly don't know what happened with these. I guess I was in a hurry, or got lazy, or took for granted that they were a vegetarian (and I assumed vegan) product. I looked at the package AFTER I ate them, and they have egg whites in them. I was sad
#11 Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I just noticed the same thing about frosted shredded wheat the other day! Frosted pop tarts have gelatin in them, but not the unfrosted, so I would guess that the frosting they use in the cereal is the same one they use for the pop tarts, and that that's where the gelatin is.

Still doesn't explain WHY they would put gelatin in the frosting, though... I guess it makes it stick better? Ugh...

Anyway, don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone slips up; all you can do is learn from it and move on.
#12 Old 05-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblthin View Post

Oh wow I didn't know about that one, but I don't really eat cereal....why the hell does it need gelatin in it??

If it were just simple enough to not eat meat instead of having to deal with all these 'hidden' ingredients like gelatin and rennet. Why do so many seemingly veg products have to be ruined by dead animal remains? There are about as many vegetarians as Jews is this country, so why can't we have foods clearly marked "vegetarian" or "vegan" just as kosher foods are clearly marked? Maybe it's time we started speaking up and putting some pressure on our representatives and the food companies to get this done. I would think that even a large number of carnivores would prefer to not have to eat animal remains in non-meat items. I know I'd prefer to just look for a "V" on the product than have to study ingredient lists.
#13 Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post

I know I'd prefer to just look for a "V" on the product than have to study ingredient lists.

Even if there were a 'V', I'm pretty sure I would continue to read ingredient lists. I feel it's important to know what exactly it is that is in your food.
#14 Old 05-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoTheTyrant View Post

Even if there were a 'V', I'm pretty sure I would continue to read ingredient lists. I feel it's important to know what exactly it is that is in your food.

Not me. Seriously, if it has the big "V" from the Vegan Society, I'd just throw it in my cart without another thought.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#15 Old 05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Not me. Seriously, if it has the big "V" from the Vegan Society, I'd just throw it in my cart without another thought.

I understand I'm a minority. My lifestyle aligns with veganisn, but when it comes to food I'm a little more strict
#16 Old 05-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed some Kroger-brand things that are labeled vegetarian on the front. It's not really obvious, they just have this little section where they put 'vegetarian' or 'gluten free' etc. I noticed it on the butter in the fridge the other day, but I know I've seen it on some of their other store-brand stuff, too. I'd probably still ingredient check a little, but I would love to know what foods don't have sneaky things like gelatin hiding in them.
#17 Old 05-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblthin View Post

I'm assuming it's to stablize the icing. Pop Tarts (the frosted variety) have gelatin in them, too. It seems to be in products with a hard frosting glaze on top.

It makes me sad.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#18 Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojie View Post

I'm assuming it's to stablize the icing. Pop Tarts (the frosted variety) have gelatin in them, too. It seems to be in products with a hard frosting glaze on top.

It makes me sad.

If you check in the organic section of certain grocery stores, they have vegetarian pop tarts. They're not as moist? as regular poptarts, but sometimes they do the job. Usually I just stick with unfrosted. I still like them .
#19 Old 05-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

^ I've looked at every store I go to (in the organic and non-organic sections) and can't find frosted brown sugar cinnamon Pop Tarts (of any brand) without gelatin to save my life. It's maddening. I've looked in health food stores, organic groceries, mainstream groceries...everywhere.

I keep meaning to try making my own frosting. I have a box of unfrosted ones in the pantry waiting for experimentation, but I keep putting it off because I don't think the homemade frosting is going to handle being toasted without melting off.

#20 Old 05-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

I was sad when I learned about the Frosted Mini Wheats and Pop Tarts. Even the Trader Joe's brand of Mini Wheats contain gelatin (TJ is usually very veg friendly). I wonder if Kashi is working on something right now. I LOVE the Autumn Wheat, it would be better frosted Pop Tarts are pure junk, so I know I shouldn't be eating them, BUT they were always my fav growing up. I loved the frosted cherry. I'd eat all of the edges, then move on to the frosted part. Natures Path... had it once, thought it was horrible. I haven't seen the frosted kind though, if I find them, I may buy them.
#21 Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

IIRC, Kelloggs made an organic version of Mini Wheats that didn't have gelatin in them (I assume because it was difficult to find an organic gelatin).
#22 Old 05-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Ankle Biter

If I remember correctly, TNS posted a while back that the Kroger brand of Frosted Mini Wheats are vegan.

#23 Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 AM

i had a major blunder with this recently. i was pretty traumatised, scrubbed myself raw in the shower.lol. now im all pure again !!
#24 Old 05-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

IIRC, Kelloggs made an organic version of Mini Wheats that didn't have gelatin in them (I assume because it was difficult to find an organic gelatin).

I think they stopped making them, if I'm remembering right. I seem to recall looking for them and finding out that they'd be axed from the line. Or maybe I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post

If I remember correctly, TNS posted a while back that the Kroger brand of Frosted Mini Wheats are vegan.

Now if only I still lived in Ohio. We don't have Kroger here in Illinois.

#25 Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think they stopped making them, if I'm remembering right. I seem to recall looking for them and finding out that they'd be anxed from the line. Or maybe I'm confused.

Oh well there goes that idea

I never really bought them anyways (just once). I prefer Autumn Wheat.
#26 Old 05-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had many slip ups, as well. Not so much as vegetarian, but since I've been vegan for around 2 weeks. Last weekend I was making gardenburgers for myself and bought some vegan cheese, or so I thought. After I was happily eating my delicious meal, I looked at the ingredients...it had casein. :[ The WORST was friday night. My family and I went out to this yummy thai place. I always make sure there is no egg and I got glass noodles as my meal, but stupid me ordered a thai iced tea. I took a big swig and almost puked. I forgot it had cream. :[ I normally get it with soymilk, but just automatically assumed it had it in it. :[ I was so sad.
#27 Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Hmmm... we have Ralphs, which I think is a Kroger store. May have to check that out, thanks
#28 Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I really wish they would do the special labels Too much trouble maybe? Or they change their ingreds too much and have to deal w/ that, who knows. America sucks
#29 Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I think they stopped making them, if I'm remembering right. I seem to recall looking for them and finding out that they'd be axed from the line. Or maybe I'm confused.

Now if only I still lived in Ohio. We don't have Kroger here in Illinois.

Food 4 less is in Illinois and its a kroger store and sells kroger brand items...My Fiancee really likes the Coffee
#30 Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been trying to buy more and more from the organic foods section. It seems to me that organic packaged foods are more likely to be noted as vegan or vegetarian than not which is awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page