How do you stir-fry? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Beginner

I'm making dinner in a bit and I have no idea what I'm doing . I have a wok though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, it sort of depends on WHAT you're stir-frying! But it's pretty straight-forward. Gather you ingredients and prepare them (chop, mince, etc). Heat a little oil in the wok. You can use sesame, peanut, olive, etc. Whatever will go with your ingredients. Add the ingredients that will take longest to cook (peppers, tofu, etc). If you are using veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, etc you might want to blanche them ahead of time or steam them, as stir-frying won't really get them tender.

Stir your ingredients in the wok and cook them for a few minutes. Then add your next round of veggies. Basically, start with the longest-cooking ingredients and add more based on cooking time, from longest to shortest, so that everything ends up cooked at about the same time. Once everything is pretty much cooked, add your sauce. This can be just about anything. My favorite is a blend of sesame oil, rice wine, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic. Toss your stir-fry with the sauce until coated. Cook for a minute longer so the sauce can sort of cook into the ingredients. Then serve the whole deal over some rice, cous cous, udon noodles, etc.

Really, though, there's a lot of room for error and for experimenting, so go nuts and just try what sounds good.
#3 Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

If you go to Youtube and type in "stir fry" there's a couple of vids you can watch if you need some visual guidance.

m8itcanw8.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page