Did you stop eating meat "Cold Turkey" or gradually? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#91 Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Newbie
 
crazycrazyveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12
quit cold turkey. I had been thinking about dropping meat for awhile and then i read a few books and just decided to quit thinking and just do it. I've been very happy.
crazycrazyveg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#92 Old 06-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Newbie
 
allyosun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8
for me, it hasn't been my choice completely, it has been food allergies. i have candida, so i am not supposed to eat yeast and a lot of processed/fake foods. and recently i have discovered i can't eat red meat or pork. i can still digest chicken, eggs and fish. And i am also lactose intolerant. great fun for me. so this whole veggie/vegan thing has kind of been pushed upon me and i am looking for ways to survive and accept it



i have dealt with people asking me if i can have dessert or ice cream alot, and i usually just say 'No thanks' because, well its easier. it does take getting used to for other people. But now thank goodness for SOY. its my hero
allyosun is offline  
#93 Old 06-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Cold Turkey. I just... I looked at my dog, and I looked at my Seventy pounds of excess weight, and it seemed like a no brainer. Just because I have a dog, doesn't make him more special than all the other animals out there. And I was slowly killing myself on the American food system from hell.
no whey jose likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#94 Old 12-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Gradually.
Liquinn is offline  
#95 Old 12-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Happy vegan
 
Lil' Tofu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 141
Cold turkey. I finally realized I was eating a cow, not a hamburger, and haven't had meat since.
Lil' Tofu is offline  
#96 Old 12-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Tofu View Post
Cold turkey. I finally realized I was eating a cow, not a hamburger, and haven't had meat since.
Almost 9 days without fish. And counting.
Liquinn is offline  
#97 Old 12-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3
cold tofurky
no whey jose likes this.
kristenxveggie is offline  
#98 Old 12-26-2015, 04:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
My dad doesn't want me to go veggie- it feels.
Liquinn is offline  
#99 Old 12-26-2015, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Cold tofurkey for me as well. Once I realized that "meat" means corpses, I could never eat it again.
no whey jose is offline  
#100 Old 12-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 36
Gave up regularly eating meat during my teens, and became an occasional meat eater (rarely pork or beef, most of the time turkey). Giving up fish and going vegan happen only recently, but yeah... Cold tofurkey or tomato, as you say...

I was never much into it, which was a great help.
Wolf_Whistle is offline  
#101 Old 12-26-2015, 07:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Looking back on it - it feels like I ate meat for my dad :/ I'm 9 days free of fish. I hope this can continue.
Liquinn is offline  
#102 Old 12-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
Looking back on it - it feels like I ate meat for my dad :/ I'm 9 days free of fish. I hope this can continue.
As far as vegetarians are concerned, fish is meat. Vegetarians do not eat fish.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#103 Old 12-26-2015, 01:37 PM
Beginner
 
jocelyn3113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 127
All at once, we went camping I ate about a thousand hot dogs and smokies and marshmallows I was feeling bloated and sad that I just ate a bunch of animals. My stomach had started to hurt every time I ate pork so I was also in pain. More then anything I was worried what will my husband think? Will he tease me?
So I looked at him that night around the campfire and said "eating meat makes me feel bad what would you think if I stopped eating it?" all he said was "Awe, well don't do something that makes you sad." And the next morning I just stopped I looked at the left over hot dogs and just looked away. three and a half months later here we are!
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
jocelyn3113 is offline  
#104 Old 12-27-2015, 08:40 AM
Fellow Hummusapian
 
skinnieminnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ColoRADo
Posts: 97
I'm going to say gradually. I lived in a small agricultural community growing up and despite how "pro-meat" everyone was, I always felt guilty and sad when I helped my ex-boyfriend out at his farm, feeding these gentle creatures that would soon be slaughtered. I loved cows as a child, and looking into their eyes as they let me pet them broke my heart. I started thinking about factory farms and practices when I moved away for college. I happened to stop buying meat at the grocery store a couple years back and only ate meat when I went out to restaurants, mainly due to expenses and it was more convenient not to buy it. Realized how easy vegetarianism was and that I could definitely commit to it, and here we are! It's been almost a year and its the best decision I've ever made.
LedBoots likes this.
skinnieminnie is offline  
#105 Old 12-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Cold turkey. (I think. I know this sounds weird, but it's been 27 years, okay?! I THINK we used up groceries we'd already bought when I made the decision to go veg. But right now...I'm really not sure. Anyway, it was definitely cold turkey in the sense that once the decision was made, that was that as far as never buying animal-based products again, and--if we did use up previously purchased groceries--never eating meat again once those were gone.)

PS I can't BELIEVE I can't remember this accurately! It was such a huge thing...a huge decision that I felt so strongly about. How can I not remember this part of it?
no whey jose likes this.
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#106 Old 12-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Gradually. I think people have different personalities and some people are extremely decisive (in Myers Briggs they're called Js, like INTJ or ESFJ) and some people go with the flow, but because of that may be less decisive or need to gather more information to feel certain about going a particular way, they are P (like ISFP or ENTP). Both types have their gifts and short comings.

I also think other factors, like addictive personality, eating disorders, or circumstances (like being raised in a small town by strict authoritarian parents) can factor into why some people have to ease into something or do it more gradually.

I agree with the person that said addiction to alcohol or drugs can be similar. Some people stop after one intake, some seem near death before they finally stop, some are in between. That also has a lot to do with mental state and real readiness. For example someone with suicidal tendencies or underlying self hatred is less likely to give up self destruction quickly, like someone with more of a will to live, or some kind of epiphany, will.
no whey jose likes this.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#107 Old 12-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLotus View Post
I'm oddly happy to see that so many other people stopped cold turkey as well. I think that, for those of us who really embrace the vegetarian lifestyle, it just FEELS right, right away? At least it did for me. Right from the very moment I decided, it was like a weight was lifted or something. It just felt so right, that I never doubted my decision.
I think this is quite presumptuous. A child or teen might feel like vegetarianism is right for them, but have overbearing parents. Or they may need rational reasons. I became vegan for rational reasons. I became vegetarian because it felt right, but had to break free from my upbringing. People have different kinds of parents and childhoods, and react differently to them. Some people have issues that are psychological or emotional. Some people have trouble breaking away from conformity. Others simply need rational reasons to do anything, and cannot be convinced otherwise. ..but will be convinced immediately if the evidence is solid.

I think it's great that some people go vegetarian as children, or have the sort of personality where they make changes overnight, but people are different. If anything, my own gradual transition and process from omni, to vegetarian, to becoming vegan, gives me hope that a larger number of people can and will change. I'm also pretty well informed because I needed more than feelings.
Chou likes this.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#108 Old 12-29-2015, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
I went vegan from omnivore overnight in February 2011 and have never looked back. I learned about veganism when I became interested in learning more about world hunger and also where my food came from, in late December 2010/January 2011. I read the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollen, and while I disagree with some of what he preaches, he talked a lot about veganism and it was the first time I really understood what it meant. I was immediately fascinated, and researched everything I could on vegan nutrition, philosophy, ethics etc. The more I read, the more I felt this way of living aligned with my values. I picked a date (about a week later) and gave myself one week to fully transition as far as diet. As far as toiletries, clothes etc I did that over a month or two, and acquired vegan hiking shoes a few months later.

It was easy for me, because I had an intolerance to dairy and avoided most of it for years prior. I was already drinking almond milk regularly, and soy milk. I was never a huge meat eater, and had begun incorporating beans as a staple as early as 2008. I loved to cook and experiment with "alternative" styles (I made a lot of gluten free stuff for my Mom). So getting eggs out of my diet, as well as meat, was actually a fun challenge. And I am childless, independent, and the breadwinner and cook in my household. I was poor when I first went vegan (working part time and going to school and living on loans), so I avoided most of the fancy processed types of vegan foods my first few years, other than plant milks and occasional tempeh and maybe some agar.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#109 Old 12-29-2015, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
@Naturebound - I get confused over the term 'processed', or how people use it. tempeh is whole beans and grains that get naturally fermented. Yogurt is milks that get cultured. Sauerkraut and other things get fermented naturally--is this still considered processed however different the outcome?
I always think processed renders foods less nutritious and these examples of fermentation are natural and make more available more nutrients?
silva is offline  
#110 Old 12-29-2015, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
@Naturebound - I get confused over the term 'processed', or how people use it. tempeh is whole beans and grains that get naturally fermented. Yogurt is milks that get cultured. Sauerkraut and other things get fermented naturally--is this still considered processed however different the outcome?
I always think processed renders foods less nutritious and these examples of fermentation are natural and make more available more nutrients?
Your'e right, I should have worded my post differently. I don't believe foods like tofu or tempeh are all that processed or designer. When I mentioned tempeh as an exception that I still consumed, I was thinking of it as more of an expensive hard to find vegan food (hence "fancy"), not so much as a processed food that is unhealthy by any means.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#111 Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Newbie
 
Chou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Romania
Posts: 59
I quit "cold turkey". I was doing a vegetarian week and I thought, what if I continue next week as well? After 2 weeks, I asked myself the same question. It wasn't a decision like "starting today, I'm a vegetarian", I just gradually told myself that I will continue doing this because I'm doing and feeling well, never craved meat, so I just went on with it. And now I'm 7 months vegetarian.
I slipped for some time, though, because I was living in Japan at that time and had no idea miso soup contains fish, I was very sure it only contains the soy paste and didn't inform myself correctly. Then someone mentioned at some point that miso does contain fish, so I stopped eating that as well. Actually, there is fishless miso also, but I couldn't know which was it, as I was eating it from the university cafeteria. So I still count that as vegetarian period.
Chou is offline  
#112 Old 01-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post
I quit "cold turkey". I was doing a vegetarian week and I thought, what if I continue next week as well? After 2 weeks, I asked myself the same question. It wasn't a decision like "starting today, I'm a vegetarian", I just gradually told myself that I will continue doing this because I'm doing and feeling well, never craved meat, so I just went on with it. And now I'm 7 months vegetarian.
I slipped for some time, though, because I was living in Japan at that time and had no idea miso soup contains fish, I was very sure it only contains the soy paste and didn't inform myself correctly. Then someone mentioned at some point that miso does contain fish, so I stopped eating that as well. Actually, there is fishless miso also, but I couldn't know which was it, as I was eating it from the university cafeteria. So I still count that as vegetarian period.
A "vegetarian" I know eats fish but not meat. That's annoying at times.
Liquinn is offline  
#113 Old 01-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Veggie turned Vegan
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK - Scotland
Posts: 30
I went Vegitarian 8 years ago - and then Vegan 'cold turkey'.
LedBoots and Chou like this.
Starchyvegan is offline  
#114 Old 01-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
A "vegetarian" I know eats fish but not meat. That's annoying at times.
Look, you just stopped eating meat very recently. A month ago, should I have said that you are annoying because you eat meat and gelatin-containing candy? Work on yourself. Others will work on themselves.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off